Suikoden Urgent and Infamous Kosher Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Samurai Champloo
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vincent Vingerhut

Knights of Rass Will

156581 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Samurai Champloo Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A bit late but,

Today I saw the first 2 episodes of Samurai Champloo and I was overwhelmed by this awesome anime. First of all the graphics are stunning, excellent quality far beyond the standard anime quality. It is very similar to that of Cowboy Bebop (though more colourful and neat), to which also the characters resemble. In fact Mugen is almost same like Spike. Secondely the story is worked out very nicely, with lots of flashbacks, the story diverging and converging, plots and twists. Also this aniem combines nicely some hip hop/rap/funk beats with the Samurai theme just like Cowboy bepop combined space with jazz and blues. Also the humour is great, especially the words and behaviour of that girl Fuu, LMAO. Also finally a action/adventure anime not involving super human/magical powers, devine spirits or absurd monsters, just plain guys fighting like badasses.

I am looking forward for the next episodes.

PS please refrain from spoilers or write them in black.
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
It is very similar to that of Cowboy Bebop (though more colourful and neat), to which also the characters resemble.

that's cause the people who made cowboy bebop made samurai champloo. that's why it seems similar in certain ways. what's funny is that i believe the series over in japan didn't finish all the way since it wasn't to popular and it was a big hit here in the us. wonder if they finished the rest of the series over there or not?

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Username

Kanaria, Most Intelligent Rozen Maiden

591783 Potch
0 Soldiers
4561620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It was pretty good; it didn't disappoint me any at all. Wouldn't surprise me if Mugen isn't the great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great grandfather of Spike.

The pursuit of symmetry... Death The Kid, Patty and Liz.

SSBB Friend Code: Ace / 4339-2163-7352
KratosJudgement

Hell Knights

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Samurai Champloo is pretty good, but unfortunately I missed a whole bunch of episodes on AdultSwim.
Tron Bonne

The party members you never use

579843 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like Samurai Champloo, but i hate the rap into, and the various scratching sounds.

i don't know, i just feel that rap and samurais shouldn't mix.

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i loved the opening theme they did. it was perfect for the series. the way they mixed the rap stuff and samurais into one was a job well done.

kratos you can still see them on adult swin on saturday nights.

KratosJudgement

Hell Knights

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I know it's been rerunned like 3 times already but I usually only watch Full Metal Alchemist and Eureka Seven and sometimes Inuyasha.
Vincent Vingerhut

Knights of Rass Will

156581 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Buff wrote:
Quote:
It is very similar to that of Cowboy Bebop (though more colourful and neat), to which also the characters resemble.

that's cause the people who made cowboy bebop made samurai champloo. that's why it seems similar in certain ways. what's funny is that i believe the series over in japan didn't finish all the way since it wasn't to popular and it was a big hit here in the us. wonder if they finished the rest of the series over there or not?

Yeah I know, its from the same makers as bebop. But why didnt the Japanese like this anime; it truelly was awesome, great graphics, great soundtrack, great story and superb characters. Sometime very touching, regularly funny and often violent and graphic. Is there any possibility that a next season of this anime will be made, picking up the story after episode 26? I really hope so, because Samurai Champloo is among the best anime series available.
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
But why didnt the Japanese like this anime

the only people that know that is the japanese creators.

Quote:
Is there any possibility that a next season of this anime will be made, picking up the story after episode 26?

i doubt there will be a next season unfortunetly. but i believe the way things got left at the end that a movie or a oav will be made.

Lotus

Royal Gardeners

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I love this great anime...its awesome right people???!!!

Well i dun really watch the series i kinda read the manga and from what im up to its awesome...
Crono

Something Wicked

162570 Potch
200 Soldiers
40 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah this is a great series. It's not up there with Cowboy Bebop, mostly because the music isn't as excellent, but it's definitely an enjoyable anime worth watching.
We have an urge to kill
And our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
We'll fight 'till the end, and send our enemies straight to hell!"
zeal

The Zealots

0 Potch
400 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I liked the series. The intro music was excellent. I agree with Crono that it isn't quite to Cowboy Bebop level but it's close.

i'm glad that will not continue after the 26th episode. I would hate to see this series become a victim of demand. The series had a clear story and told it and should end with that.

If you haven't seen the series i strongly believe you should

Check out:
Car Accidents
I'm A Plus Size Model
Superslut
Rene Magritte/Surrealism
GallantWarriorGeddoe

3297 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I remember I wtahced this way back when it first came out on adultswim, and I thought it was good. I haven't seen it in a good while, and I would like to watch it some more. It also has voice work of the great Steven Blum, and I think he does good voice work.
Barbarossa Rugner

The Golden Mercenaries

5685455 Potch
15000 Soldiers
650 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I watched the entire series and i thought it was great. I agree that it should end with episode 26 though. I thought it was a fitting ending and as a whole the episodes were very well done. With me though once i was finished watching the last episode I had no desire to watch old episodes once they came on. I don't know if it is just me, but after seeing how it ends, it just kind of took the edge off the storyline for me personally. With that said, i have no bad things to say about it, and i enjoyed it alot.

The Rune on my Sword, the Dragon King Sword, is protected against any form of magic, Even the rune of the Gate - Barbarossa Rugner
Artificity

Ronery Puratoon

17923 Potch
0 Soldiers
750 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

WARNING. HIGHLY OPINIONATED POST AHEAD.

I actually prefer the way the series went in comparison to Bebop. Bebop suffers from an inconsistent art style due to the fact that the show was originally divided into two different portions. (I mean, watch Hard Luck Blues and then watch Honky Tonk Women. WTF HAPPENED TO FAYE'S FACE!?) Some episodes, including Bebop's first ep, never saw the light of day until it was run the second time on Wowow. This made some episodes feel like complete fillers even though they were integral to the plot. Not to mention that they didn't attempt to remaster the old episodes for the second run so that we're oftentimes treated to flip-flopping art.

Don't get me wrong. I loved Bebop and have almost all the merchandise but there's a distinct difference in feel between the two that comparing it based solely on the fact that Watanabe headed both projects is unfair. Champloo has a lot of things that are going for it that make it so different from bebop other than just the musical references.

Champloo had a certain style to it and while you can consider it to be more over the top than Bebop in the "Suspension of Disbelief" part; the show had a lot of little things that were very well placed. It was a really good mix of subtlety and theatrics. Both of them were very well directed although I do wish that Watanabe would stop with the John Woo references. It was cute back in Bebop but it's getting old now.

Bebop had some of the most amazing characters I've yet to see but placed a lot of focus on running around with no general point until BLAM, Ballad of Fallen Angels. Unfortunately, the main plot is dismissed for the rest of the series and only infrequently mentioned because it seems like the Bebop crew simply prefer to run around and accomplish very little. If anything at all. In fact, the main plot only presented itself in two episodes in the original run! This is why the real story seems almost like an afterthought at times. Realizing that got me all depressed about the series that I loved so much.

Champloo had that one goal: The Sunflower Samurai. While this may have just ended up as a McGuffy for the cast, it was at least a consistent thing that brought the characters together. Very rarely did the episodes play out without the audience understanding that they're still on that goal; they've got focus and everything adds up to this in the end. The characters were all interwoven with one another, for good or bad, and you can't doubt their chemistry. Faye and Ed had no chemistry with anyone on the crew other than Ein and... well... Come on. We all love Ein but he's still a dog. Unfortunately, they had to sacrifice a good supporting cast to make way for the Champloo trio and that disappointed me.

Both of the series had great soundtracks but Champloo just couldn't hold a candle to the talented Miss Kanno. She bulldozed Champloo here easily.

I love both series equally and for different reasons. I don't want to put them side by side and hunt the similarities down. I'll just enjoy both series for what they are: Wonderful displays of progressive anime and proof that in Japan, you can make a series about absolutely anything. Including ghetto samurai and jazzy space operas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: