Suikoden Ugly and Irenic Kraalesque Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Ron Paul - Presidential Candidate 2008
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Ron Paul - Presidential Candidate 2008 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm making this topic to just let you know about a man running in the Republican party to become President, he is not that well known but on the internet his popularity is unmatched. He is a traditional and constitutionalist republican from Texas who has been making waves with his policy and stance on Iraq and 9/11.

Since I really just want to show him to you, here are some of the best videos I could find involving him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7d_e9lrcZ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peBGJwE9NXo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCM_wQy4YVg (Massive 1 hour and 5 minutes explanation of his policies)

I'm not an American and can't really offer an important opinion on him or who is most relevant to Americans, but from what I've seen and learned, I have to say I am really impressed with Ron Paul. I think it would be a great thing if we had a politician like him here, and even more of his kind in the world generally. He seems to offer something generally different from all the other candidates both Democrat and Republican.
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wouldn't say that he's not popular. He has signs up in Montana (or at least all over my town) and that means he's probably made it everywhere else first. That's usually how it goes.

Bow Jester Squadron

8634 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

First of all, it doesn't matter if you are American or not. You have as much right as everyone else to say whatever you want. I like the things that he said. the only problem i that as they mentioned in the first video, he is the only one of the candidates to have that way of thinking. That puts the odds slighly against him.
HarmonianHiccup

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Huh! So that's who he is!
There're signs up for him all over my hometown, but all they say is "Ron Paul ReLOVEution" with no other clue as to who he is. I was starting to get really annoyed by them, actually. O_o Now that I know who he is, though...

I think it's good for people to pay attention to the political situations in other countries. I think it's good for people to pay attention in their own countries too, but that doesn't always happen. >_>

The fact is that any political leader, especially one as high-profile as the President of the United States, is going to have an effect on other countries, espcially allied countries. Foreign policy has an impact on everyone, and it's something we should all be paying attention whether in our own countries or no.

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
Bub

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really hope he catches on more-so than he is already. I really wish he would run Independant. I know that is usually (well, always) political suicide, as no one really votes independant ("it's throwing your vote away, blah blah), but I am looking long term. If he would get a significant percentage of votes running Independant, that may be the first step in getting out of this stagnant and horrible Two-Party System we have going on in the United States.

That would be incredible.

Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If he picks Chuck Hagel as his running mate then that would make for a very interesting Republican pairing. Ron Paul's views are not new to me. Chuck Hagel has pretty much said the same except Hagel has not made an announcement to run for President though some who are less party-bound have called for him to do so.

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sage wrote:
I wouldn't say that he's not popular. He has signs up in Montana (or at least all over my town) and that means he's probably made it everywhere else first. That's usually how it goes.

He has an incredibly dedicated fan base who are really going out of their way to promote him, and from my view he is just offering common sense and something different from all the other candidates, and it has really struck a chord with me. Things like individual rights are the cornerstone of his campaign and that should strike something with the average American worried about their liberties.

Bub wrote:
I really hope he catches on more-so than he is already. I really wish he would run Independant. I know that is usually (well, always) political suicide, as no one really votes independant ("it's throwing your vote away, blah blah), but I am looking long term. If he would get a significant percentage of votes running Independant, that may be the first step in getting out of this stagnant and horrible Two-Party System we have going on in the United States.

But he is a Republican! He is the most Republican out of all the candidates there! He wants a more inverted foreign policy, lower taxes and things like the Federal Reserve dismantled, he wants a smaller government that interferes in people's lives as little as possible.
Bub

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Aye, he is a Republican of old. He isn't of the new batch.
What we need is a few more parties to choose from. We need to stop being able to fund ridiculous amounts of money to campaigning. We need equal share of time getting to know multiple candidates.

Almost every free country in the world has this. Why don't we (the U.S.)?
All we have is two corrupt power mongering political parties that do nothing but send smear campaigns against each other during election time, instead of attacking facts and issues that are important to our nation. It has gotten out of hand.

That is why I think Ron Paul would be incredibly beneficial running as a Third Party ticket. He is nowhere near most Republicans nowadays. Get the ball rolling. Get more Parties involved in our elections. Give us more options!

Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just get the feeling that with the way Independants are viewed in the US, if he ever went third party, we'd never hear from him again...
Bub

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I figure that is the only chance he has.
There really is no way he is going to get the Republican Party nomination.
Though he is relatively popular, he is nowhere near Romney or Guliani or a few others.

Furthermore, I don't think he would accept a Vice President ticket, nor do I think anyone running for the Republicans would ask. Again, he is surprisingly popular for someone who thinks outside the box, but not popular enough to warrant the VP slot. Unless the Republicans get smart and realize they are losing a lot of their younger audience/support.

So I see it as his best bet would be Independant. I can also see him try for the Republican spot, lose, and try the Independant route, which would be great. He seems to have a lot of desire to change our ways, and to get his voice heard. I hope this is what he does.

Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bub wrote:
So I see it as his best bet would be Independant. I can also see him try for the Republican spot, lose, and try the Independant route, which would be great. He seems to have a lot of desire to change our ways, and to get his voice heard. I hope this is what he does.

Unfortunately I remember an interview in which he said he didn't "have any intentions" to run if he doesn't get the Republican nomination.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Despite all the talk of people asking for a third-party to join in the political debate...there's already many political parties outside of the Democratic and Republican parties. The reason why these other parties don't get much press or support is that most have a tendency to either be too liberal or too conservative. There's rarely a middle ground for these parties. Another thing is that for all the ideas they give out during debates and stump speeches they rarely have a viable and practical plans to put such ideas into effect.

I, for one, think that the two-party system has worked best the past 200+ years and why fix something that's really not broken. While the parties both have their demagogues the majority of its party representatives either land on the moderate or centrist side of their respective parties' political platform. The trick is for people to vote these practical-minded, level-headed politicians instead of the far-left and far-right members of their party.

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bub wrote:
Almost every free country in the world has this. Why don't we (the U.S.)?
All we have is two corrupt power mongering political parties that do nothing but send smear campaigns against each other during election time, instead of attacking facts and issues that are important to our nation. It has gotten out of hand.

I don't really have any opinion of the guy as of yet, I'll look at the candidates when the primaries come around and avoid as much of the rhetoric as possible. But this point was something I felt like I could have an answer to.

It's how people are elected that determines how parties work in the country. Because the majority of the US has single member districts with winner-take-all plurality elections, it naturally facilitates two parties. This means that it's simply who has the most votes gets all of the rewards.

In such a system it benefits smaller groups to make alliances with larger groups to get any benefit, thus you see larger and larger groups pooling their platforms until you get major parties. Generally, this has the effect of creating two parties who are trying to appeal as widely to the middle (usually the majority of the voters).

Other systems that have been implemented can be better suited to more candidates. For example, a system in which a congress is chosen by proportional representation (ie: a system in which a party that gets 10% of the votes is still given 10% of the seats) naturally benefits more parties, because they don't need to appeal to more voters than the other party, just enough to get representation.

As of now, third parties exist for two purposes, either to bring new policies to the main two parties (eventually getting their voice out or being assimilated) or to take votes away from the other parties (and both parties are affected by third parties doing this).

It's not really a two party system by complete design, but by circumstance of the system. The only purpose for a candidate who is really cognizant of politics to run on a third party platform is to force the two major parties to address their issues or to sabotage an election. Perot, for example, did a great job in hurting George Bush the senior in his election, for example, whether it was intended or not.

If he ran as a third party, he wouldn't have a chance to win. The most successful third party candidate only won 8 states and lost by a landslide (1923 election, Teddy Roosevelt). The closest since then was Ross Perot, and he had no electoral votes. A third party won't win.
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My thoughts on Ron Paul is that he has good intentions, but I don't think his ideas will work well in the modern era. Getting rid of most of what the federal government does and giving it back to the states can cause problems when America is acting globally. it can also be strange when a person is going from one state to another, seeing as there could now be massive change going from state to state.

On the talk of third parties, I think the only way that a third party could become practical is if a fourth party came at the same time. If the Libertarians and the Green party put two candidates up it would cost the Democrats and Republicans votes and get rid of the political sabotage of elections. Although I doubt they would win, if a strong presence was made, it would change the political atmosphere and could grow after the lost election.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Timbo wrote:
My thoughts on Ron Paul is that he has good intentions, but I don't think his ideas will work well in the modern era. Getting rid of most of what the federal government does and giving it back to the states can cause problems when America is acting globally.

But this brings to light that America wouldn't act globally very often under Ron Paul, they only would with the approval and recommendation of congress, which would mean much less.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: