Suikoden Urgent and Informational Kosher Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

New media-type can store 1 Terabyte of data!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: New media-type can store 1 Terabyte of data! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Check this out: How to fit 1TB of data on one CD-sized disc

That's really quite impressive, if I may say so myself. The fact that this new media type has already been produced before Blu Ray or HD-DVD even made a dent in the media war doesn't bode well for either of those two media types.

Still, it seems like this type of disc will cost quite a bit to produce for now-- but the same thing can be said for both Blu Ray and HD-DVD, so I think this really may be the next industry standard, rather than the two that we've been watching attempt to woo people over for the past year or so.

Whether you think that this media format can really take the charge some day, or not, the sheer size of this disc really does impress me. I mean... 20 times the size of a dual layered Blu Ray disc... that's just massive. And that's still using a red laser, using a blue laser it'll be able to store 5 TB... huge!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is exactly why I'm not sold on either HD formats battling it out right now (HD-DVD, Blu-Ray). The fact that the disc doesn't require the newer blue-laser diodes to read the media on the TeraDiscs means companies do not need to spend more money to get the new diodes but can stick to the cheaper red-laser ones used in your garden variety DVD players.

Even if it's still several years away from becoming feasible as a mass-produced and used media storage format it will still cut into the supposed 10-15 life-cycle of the Blu-Ray. So what's the point of picking a new format now when the current DVD-9 format is still selling strong.

I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft and many of the PC companies take a long and hard look at making this new format become the new standard 2-3 years from now.

Prince Geass Falenas

2327939 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought I heard that there was a flash drive that can hold 1TB already
....or maybe it's currently in development

but yeah...With whatever it is that I hear is going to be able to store 1TB soon it sure does bring down the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD's um...what's the word...'potential'?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Tony Stark

War Machine

536068 Potch
250 Soldiers
1600 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I heard of a chip in Japan, quite a bit smaller than a CD, that can hold 3 TB, but it is so expensive that they would never dream of reproducing it.

This was from a crazy guy, but he was very computer savy. It could have been BS, I suppose.

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the 1 TB discs has always been a possibility. The process to create thinner and thinner layers is already there but making it cheap and cost-effective is something that hasn't been perfected. From what this Israeli tech company has done is to move closer to making a 1 TB disc affordable to produce. I'm sure it'll still be quite expensive if they tried to market it right now, but 2-3 years from now I wouldn't mind buying a 1 TB disc for a couple hundred if it meant having a place to store tons and tons of dvds on one disc as back-up.

Add another two years to make it even cheaper and you can have a very good alternative to the HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. I think developers and film studios will look at a red-laser disc which can hold more than both a Blu-Ray and HD-DVD disc combined as a very good format.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: