Suikoden Ugly and Irrational Keystone Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

More Racial Diversity in Role Playing Games
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beethoven4567

Sacred Guards

39804 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: More Racial Diversity in Role Playing Games Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Do any of you guys here want to see more racial diversity in RPGs, particularly those made by Japanese companies? Most RPGs that are developed by Japanese game developers hardly have any black skinned characters in the game and no black main characters( hero ) have been featured in them so far. Below are the list of RPGs that the main charcter or hero isn't black:

1. FFVII: Cloud ain't black
2. FFVIII: Same
3. FFIX: Same
4. FFX: " "
5. Star Ocean 2
6. Star Ocean 3
7. Xenosaga
8. Xenosaga 2
9. Xenogears
10. Lunar:SSSC
11. Lunar:EBC
12. Grandia
13. Grandia 2
14. Grandia 3
15. Suikoden 1
16. Suikoden 2
17. Suikoden 4
and many more...................

(A) Do you think that Japanese gamers are discriminating against black gamers by portraying RPGs where there are little, if any, black characters?

(B) Would you like to see a black man being the main charcter like in Grand Theft Auto:San Andreas?

(C) Why do you think Japanese game makers ignore blacks in their RPGs?

Anyway, sorry for my ranting, but i just couldn't stand it if there is no racial diversity in RPGs. I mean, come on, if you are a God, would you create a world where there are only one species? That ain't cool and fun! So, i'm no saying this because i am a racist but because most game characters in Japanese RPGs look Caucasian and Japanese! I'm not saying that they should be politically correct but they must accept the diversity of 6 billion humans in our world if they want to promote their games to an even wider market. So, what's not cool about black characters? Most game caracters in Japanese RPGs have white skin! Boy, the Japanese sure love Caucasians :roll: . A black charcter that looks like Wesley Snipes can kick major ass just like Grandia 2's Ryudo and FFVII's Cloud can! If i am a Japnese game maker employee, i would suggest that the RPGs that our company develops has blacks in it.

Please end this unjust discrimination against black people and stop portraying blacks negatively in games compared to Caucasian and Japanese- looking charcters.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

(A) Do you think that Japanese gamers are discriminating against black gamers by portrating RPGs where there are little, if any, black characters?

No, I don't. There is no active, or indeed inactive, attempt to discriminate against black people in video games.

(B) Would you like to see a black man being the main charcter like in Grand Theft Auto:San Andreas?

I don't care, it's only skin colour. Positive discrimination is still discrimination. Making black main characters just for the sake of being able to trumpet 'diversity' is an example of this. I would refuse to buy a game that included characters of ethnic minorities just so they could proclaim that they're not racist. Don't be racist, that's great, I'm not, but don't sprinkle a pile of stereotypes and use it to claim you're 'diverse'.

Because the black percentage of the Japanese population is so low that it doesn't factor into mainstream Japanese societys thinking.

It doesn't matter to me, I don't what colour any person in any game is, an absence of a race from a game is not an example of racism nor is it an example of anything else.

Whether a characters polygons are black or white should make no difference to his character. If it does, then that's another example of discrimination and stereotyping, be it positive or negative, I don't tolerate either.

It's only skin colour after all, and I'll be damned if I'm going to pretend that it matters for the sake of political correctness. Anyone who is over sensitive about these issues needs to step back and see if they aren't the ones with a problem regarding race.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Ranadiel

The Squirrel Mob

68112 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I mean, come on, if you are a God, would you create a world where there are only one species?
People with different skin colors are of different ethnicities not races. Elves, humans, and dwarfs are different races which many RPGs do in fact have.

(A) Do you think that Japanese gamers are discriminating against black gamers by portraying RPGs where there are little, if any, black characters?

No they just don't have much exposure to people with that skin color. I really doubt the idea of skin color even enters their mind.

I really don't care. If the rest of the game is good then I'll get it. If the rest of the game is horrible then I won't get it.

They do it because their audiences don't really care one way or the other. When they are making a game their audience is the people of Japan. American people are an after thought by the companies themselves to make additional money. Since the Japanese don't think about people of African descent they don't care if there is a character of that ancestory in the games. It isn't that they are discriminang, they just don't think about it because there are so few people of that descent there.

Titles: Harmonian Tenki Star, Harmonian Jousting Champion
St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've seen this same arguement applied to television series. Honestly, I don't frigging care. When I have to sit down and think about the political correctness of a game, there's not much point to playing it. Why worry about such a thing? Is race really that big of an issue that we have to complain about what races don't get represented? How come there are no hispanic looking characters, or Indian girls, or natives? They deserve a right to be in rpg's as well, if blacks do. So I think the whole idea is just silly.

Quote:

Of course not. That's picking fights when there's no need to. Discriminating? By leaving out? I can understand if the N word popped out somewhere, but complaining about the lack of black characters? If that's the case, why wouldn't any other race complain?

Quote:
(A) (B) Would you like to see a black man being the main charcter like in Grand Theft Auto:San Andreas?

I have no idea, since I've never played GTA, so I don't see the relevence to the question.

Quote:
C) Why do you think Japanese game makers ignore blacks in their RPGs?

The same reason they ignore arabics?

Quote:
Anyway, sorry for my ranting, but i just couldn't stand it if there is no racial diversity in RPGs.

And here you are only arguing for blacks in rpgs, while ignoring every other race out there. Actually, the way I see it, you're not arguing race, you're arguing skin colour.

Quote:
So, i'm no saying this because i am a racist but because most game characters in Japanese RPGs look Caucasian and Japanese! I'm not saying that they should be politically correct but they must accept the diversity of 6 billion humans in our world if they want to promote their games to an even wider market.

I'm not saying this because I'm a racist either, but you're blatantly ignoring every other person on the globe. If you're going to promote diversity, why do you just want to see some african <whatever> characters, and nothing else?

Quote:
Please end this unjust discrimination against black people and stop portraying blacks negatively in games compared to Caucasian and Japanese- looking charcters

has the Japanese video game industry come into the public eye and said that they are leaving out dark skin colour because of personal bias? Because they don't like blacks? Or blacks aren't worthy heros? Come on. This isn't discrimination, you're making a problem when there's none. There's plenty of black characters in games, and while I'm not aware of one that is a "hero", it's hardly an issue to complain about.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
The same reason they ignore arabics?

I'm not a master on this suject but, is "arabic" meaning 'from arabian" descent? the word is the same, like "hispaniac" is "from Spanish decent"

how the hell can we have people from "a decent" when that place isn't in a game? they can have a flesh tone, ok I see that, if geography in a fantasy world lets say mimmics "The Andies moutains" well have people that look like that, but that dosen't mean they need to "be Peruvian"

or does it?

our Admin wrote about this. I think its "our problem" to make a game that isn't touchy. So who can't wait for a Game where the Main Character is "From Chad" when the world he lives in "has no Contenient that is called Africa. and he comes from somewhere geographicly Norway"

I do it is so real, and he can have a unicorn friend who speeks piglatain.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

...Hardly any Black people live in Japan in the first place. What do you expect? I'm black and I don't really care.
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For more discussion on the subject regarding Suikoden I suggest reading SARS' editorial.

Racial Diversity in Suikoden

Regarding the Japanese Game makers supposedly leaving out black characters, I offer you this portion of that same editorial.

SARSadmin wrote:

As a Japanese person, I have thought of the reasons behind this huge gap in perception. Here are some reasons I have come up with using my over-worked noodle:

World War II:

Japan got creamed in WWII. Their tiny island was reduced to a pile of straw and bamboo after being bombed continuously for years, with a dramatic finish at Hiroshima and Nagasaki on August 6th and 9th, 1945, respectively. Emperor Hirohito's radio announcement on Japan's surrender in August 15th, 1945 sent shockwaves across Japan, a nation that has never surrendered to a foreign power. Until then, Japan's culture was inward and narcissistic. Japaneseness was glorfied, and foreign things were ridiculed and shunned. This all changed after General MacArthur stepped onto Japanese soil off his airplane, with his sunglasses and pipe in his mouth. It was then that Japan recognized thay have been defeated by the "white man." In fact, the defeat in 1945 unleashed Japan's desire to learn all things foreign so that they can rebuild itself and hopefully advance towards a better future. This meant they had to learn from those who defeated them, namely the USA. Back then, segragation was still widespread within the USA, this was before civil rights and the 1960's, so it was a very different world in the USA. Thus, most all soldiers who were stationed in Japan were white men.

This lead to Japan nearly deifying white people. To the Japanese, these tall, fair-skinned men from the west with superior technology and industry prevailed over them. Then, what happened next was the Marshall Plan--soldiers handed out food and water to hungry Japanese people and helped rebuild the nation. Many children tasted their first chocolate from an American soldier. All these culminated in transforming Japan's thick morality. The defeat became a root-metaphore from which the "white man" can not be separated from.

To this day, American things are considered "cool" in Japan. This can be seen by how young people are teeming in the "American Villages" in major cities, where people can purchase American merchandise. Same with music and other forms of entertainment, such as movies and TV--even McDonalds has been very successful in Japan. Another side-effect of this situation was that this adoration of white people didn't stop with Americans--the adoration was directed towards any white person. This is probably why we have meny characters and placenames that have German, French, and Italian etymological roots.

Lack of Exposure to Black People:

Japan is a very monogenous society--it is rare to see obvious foreigners in Japan. However, even rareer among those foreigners are people with black skin. While I lived in Kyoto Japan (a major tourist city) for 16 years of my life, I saw black people twice. That is how rare they are. Another reason is there is very limited exposure of blacks in the media--it is only in the last decade that black artists are seen in Japanese MTV as well as black martial artists. This means Japanese people just aren't exposed enough to black people to even think about them. This may be one reason why there are so few blacks in Japanese games.

Fantasy Genre Cliche:

Even in western fantasy novels and movies, it is rare to find black people, especially in title roles. You'll probably see more of them as villains, as seen with Thulsa Doom and Bombata in the Conan the Barbarian movies. If not, they will likely be killed during the course of the movie, such as seen with Snails in the Dungeons & Dragons movie. Looking at novels, there are no black people among the good guys in the Lord of the Rings, the Narnian Sagas. Suikoden may simply be following this cliche. In fact, having even one black character who has an official role and doesn't die actually shows that Suikoden is more sensitive to racial diversity.

Last edited by Cedric on Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ninjar

The Shins

247440 Potch
1500 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ranadiel wrote:
Quote:
I mean, come on, if you are a God, would you create a world where there are only one species?
People with different skin colors are of different ethnicities not races. Elves, humans, and dwarfs are different races which many RPGs do in fact have.

I'm not sure but I took it as an analogy kind of thing. Not literally saying that humans were different species if they differed in color.
Njord

Island Nationeers

218645 Potch
1478 Soldiers
300 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Do you think that Japanese gamers are discriminating against black gamers by portraying RPGs where there are little, if any, black characters?

Why do you really think that?

I come from an Arabian country, I'm not white, and I don't feel sad or angry if there is no RPG featuring an Arabian look alike hero (although that would be nice).

It doesn't matter for me because the hero's physical features aren't the main thing that makes me play a game, what characterize that hero is what matters at the end, the hero's feelings, role, and things that makes him/her/it what he/she/it is the one that counts.

But that doesn't either mean the general look of a character isn't important.

Would you like to see a black man being the main charcter like in Grand Theft Auto:San Andreas?

I find it weird for you in this situation to mention a game like Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas that portrait a black man as a gangster when you at the end of your post said to stop portraying blacks negatively in games.

By the way, black persons weren't the only gangster type of people; there were also white and other ethnicity of bad character in it.

The only reason in my opinion we were able to see a black character in that game because the image of a black man is a one of a bad gangster type, I'm not saying all black people are gangsters and bad or look like gangesters or bad guys (or any other type of people for that matter), I'm just saying is that it is how the majority of black people are presented in our real world.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind playing as a black person in the role of the main hero only if it fits the story.

Why do you think Japanese game makers ignore blacks in their RPGs?

Maybe because the image of a black man hero doesn't fit their stories.

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is a topic that really does not need to be discussed in the realm of fantasy. There are no 'black' main hereos in these games because the producers have no "black' writers. It is no big deal and it's not discrimination. If there is to be a hero of color, then there should be more people of color who seek to be producers in the gaming industry.

Personally, me being a African American male, I don't worry abotu such trivial things as a 'colored' main hero due to the fact that must producers make characters that would represent an ideal. We do see such characters like Barret from Final Fantasy 7 that portray a crude, foul-mouthed, colored guy and we also have Helmer from Xenosaga series that portrays an educated color guy. Most companies tend to avoid putting colored characters in the game due to questions like this.

If they put more colored characters in a game I can see people saying that they don't represent the actual personality or characteristics of that particular ethnicity once again being called on cultural stereotypes. I prefer race and issues like this to be left out of the gaming industry.

Colored characters are just not represented in games because people of color don't make videogames. It's as simple as that. And when we do, we make games that further promote negative stereotypes because ironically that's what people want to see. So, I say let's leave race out of it.

Also, people of different skin colors can be of a different race depending on their particular ethnicity. Elves, dwarves, giants and other such things are different species. They are called races in videogames due to the fact that there is no other distinguishing features between the human characters in most videogames (they all look pretty much the same). Elves are a species, not a race.

I think that we experience enough various cultures and traditions in Suikoden as well as other games. We do not need to bring color into the mix. I prefer to at least have one outlet in all of the world that isn't touched by color bias and stereotypes...this is fantasy so let's not bring real life problems into it. Let's at least keep videogames pure.

KOOLUK SUPPORTS TINTO MINERS
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Being Japanese, I severely doubt the Japanese people intentionally exclude blacks from title roles in games. I explained my reasons in the article I wrote that Ced quoted above, but anothe reason is because any exposure to black people would be mostly stereotypical at best. Japanese people are exposed to black people mainly in movies, tv, or music--the media. The media tends to portray blacks in a stereotypical fashion--which would mean most Japanese people wound end up thinking black people are all "gangstas" or something. However, the general exposure to black people is too rare even to this day.

The most famous black guy in Japan right now is probably Bob Sapp, who you can see in many TV ads and entertainment programms, and he is widely popular. Because Japan never had the history of enslaving blacks, there is really no basis for any "discrimination."

I think the most widespread discrimination that exists in Japan is against Koreans and Chinese people, which has existed for centuries. That's probably a closer analogy to the type of tension that exists between ethnic groups in the USA.
Horned Loa

Guardians of the Merchant

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well I'd really say it all but it seems just about everyone has already worded it in such a way that there really is not much more to add. John Leyfield pretty much said the most of it but the one that made me think about this a little more was St.Ajora's comment:

St.Ajora wrote:
Of course not. That's picking fights when there's no need to. Discriminating? By leaving out? I can understand if the N word popped out somewhere, but complaining about the lack of black characters? If that's the case, why wouldn't any other race complain?

I mean if you are to start complaining about a lack of BLACK characters in the game where do you stop? Not enough FEMALE heroes? How about JEWISH heroes? French, Spanish, Brazilian, African? I mean you can just start the continents, countries, religions, skin colour, eye colour, hair colour (lack of redheads perhaps), short people, giants, disabled people...but in the end.....a character can only have a FEW of those traits. I mean the main hero is a crucial character to the story and thus must relate to the player in some way.

I REALLY don't think that Suikoden is meant to racially insult ANY race as traces from many nations, races, genders, religions and cultures can be found not only with the characters you acquire, the NPCs and the enemy leaders but also in the designs and the names of the weapons, locations and the objects throughout the game. Its pretty much the same with all the other games and the reason behind that is that RPG players for the most part don't really give a rats ass about racial equality within the games. The games themselves are a place where most players can escape from all that BS and just have a good time. Asking for more of that within the gaming world is just asking for trouble as 99% of RPG players will tell you that they JUST don't care.

The things we do care about are the storyline, character development and history, graphics, sound, length of play, replay value, battle system, mini-games....stuff like that.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: More Racial Diversity in Role Playing Games Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Beethoven4567 wrote:
Do any of you guys here want to see more racial diversity in RPGs, particularly those made by Japanese companies?

Not really. I don't mind either way, but I'm not complaining about it.

Quote:
Most RPGs that are developed by Japanese game developers hardly have any black skinned characters in the game and no black main characters( hero ) have been featured in them so far. Below are the list of RPGs that the main charcter or hero isn't black:

Yeah, it's true, but the question is why is it becoming an issue? Are you going to play a game just because it has black main character? Isn't that a racist act itself?

Quote:

Depending on the story of the game. If it's an RPG that takes place in Cameroon, then I expect that most of the characters would be black. But if it's an RPG that takes place in Norway, then I expect most of the characters to be white.

Quote:
I mean, come on, if you are a God, would you create a world where there are only one species? That ain't cool and fun!

Fine, show me how many RPGs that only have one race in the game (as in all-white or all-Japanese, etc). I really want to know.

Quote:
So, i'm no saying this because i am a racist but because most game characters in Japanese RPGs look Caucasian and Japanese!

And why is that an issue? It is a game created by Japanese companies mainly for Japanese players. Why can't they create games that consist mostly Japanese looking characters?

Quote:
I'm not saying that they should be politically correct but they must accept the diversity of 6 billion humans in our world if they want to promote their games to an even wider market.

Well their main target market is still in Japan, and it wouldn't make sense for them to use black characters as their main selling point when the Japanese people aren't really exposed to black culture.

Quote:
So, what's not cool about black characters?

You're asking a question that doesn't really make sense. No one said that black characters aren't cool. They're just not commonly used in RPGs. Doesn't have anything to do with them being cool or not.

Quote:
Most game caracters in Japanese RPGs have white skin! Boy, the Japanese sure love Caucasians :roll:

Though it's a sarcastic comment, I find it a bit insulting. And if you're not racist, then what's so wrong with Japanese people loving Caucasians? Do you have something against white people?

Quote:
If i am a Japnese game maker employee, i would suggest that the RPGs that our company develops has blacks in it.

You must realize something important, that you need to fit the characters with the setting of the game that could sell to your target market. A game like GTA: San Andreas could work with black main character because that game was aimed to be a "ghetto" kind of game, and there is big market for that in USA. Do you think GTA: San Andreas could work as well if we're using a Chinese Kung Fu Master being ghetto with the guns, cars, and gyms? Obviously A BIG FAT NO. So unless you want to ignore your target market of the Japanese people that like their traditional RPGs, you'd better keep with the working formula.

Quote:
Please end this unjust discrimination against black people and stop portraying blacks negatively in games compared to Caucasian and Japanese- looking charcters.

I don't get it. Why are you so annoyed with racial issue in a game anyway? It's just a game ... you know. You're making an issue out of something that shouldn't be an issue. And in the end, you're the one sounding like a racist.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Revolving Sphere wrote:
I think that we experience enough various cultures and traditions in Suikoden as well as other games. We do not need to bring color into the mix. I prefer to at least have one outlet in all of the world that isn't touched by color bias and stereotypes...this is fantasy so let's not bring real life problems into it. Let's at least keep videogames pure.

I don't think I can agree with the statement that, by avoiding the issue of colour, we're keeping video games pure. There's just this kind of srange connocation in the words when you say it like that.

By now I'm sure most of you have realised that, when it comes down to it, the average Japanese RPG isn't all that diverse. We either have a fantasy series, or a kind of sci-fi/fantasy combination. Everyone uses swords when the sword should have been rendered obsolete and people are of similar races and skin colour when you might think there'd be more diversity.

The American games industry does a better job of introducing games that have a bit more ethnic diversity. GTA (which was totally off topic, as it isn't an RPG) is one such game that casts everyone in a pretty negative light - blacks, hispanics, Chinese, hookers, and so forth. The Arena: Elder Scrolls game has black men from Hammerfall that you can play as your main character. I'm sure there are more examples. Maybe you just need to expand your gaming repetoire a bit if you want to see more racial diversity in your games.

Quote:
Do you think GTA: San Andreas could work as well if we're using a Chinese Kung Fu Master being ghetto with the guns, cars, and gyms?

That would just be plain awesome.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Arcana wrote:
Revolving Sphere wrote:

I don't think I can agree with the statement that, by avoiding the issue of colour, we're keeping video games pure. There's just this kind of srange connocation in the words when you say it like that.

No, you're making up rubbish to try and spread the idea of a strange connocation.

Nowhere in Revolving Sphere's post was there anything saying or implying that there should not be black people or white people or blue people or green people in video games.

Of course, you also decided to just take one sentence of the quote and frame it as a racist remark ignoring the other more important part of his post. Namely the below quote.

Revolving Sphere wrote:
I prefer to at least have one outlet in all of the world that isn't touched by color bias and stereotypes.

Oh, I'm sorry, no colour bias and stereotypes is obviously an euphimism for racism because of the word 'pure' being placed somewhere else in the paragraph, right?

Stop jumping at shadows.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: