Suikoden Unique and Informational Knowledge Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Coming Eclipse!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Coming Eclipse! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey everyone. My brother just called me on the phone and reminded me that there will be a total lunar eclipse tonight. In fact, it should be starting in about six hours, according to the websites I've checked. I'm definitely staying up to see this one. This opportunity doesn't present itself that often. I was just wondering if anyone else here was also planning on seeing the eclipse too, or if this thread will convince you to watch for it. Supposedly, the moon will turn red in the middle stages of the eclipse, so it certainly will be a sight to see. I hope some others decide to watch it and to discuss it here. I'll put up two links so that you can read about it and decide whether this sounds like something you'll want to make time for.

http://www.technologynewsdaily.com/node/7819

http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/LEmono/TLE2007Aug28/TLE2007Aug28. html
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i wish i could see it since i never seen one before, but i'll be working :(

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The head of the physics department here sent out an email talking about it. It's dang early for me, but I may get up and see it...or not see it, rather. The only reason I'm considering not doing so is that I have class at 8 AM.

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

*flail* I adore the lunar eclipse, but it's going to be covered by clouds! The ONE week this summer that it storms!!

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I saw the absolutely gorgeous orange moon earlier tonight when the sun had just set-- it's was really stunning. I'm planning to stay us to see the eclipse later tonight as well, I really love the night sky, very pretty.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Flare

Flying Bolts of Doom

680830 Potch
3700 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm gonna stay up. The storms finally cleared up last week so, I've got clear skies tonight and a perfect view from my bedroom window. My camera's nearby too. I'll take some pictures for those of you who wanted to see it but can't.
Equus

Sindarin Speed Bumps of Rage

197132 Potch
0 Soldiers
2993 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm visiting my family over here in the middle of the Pacific Ocean for a funeral, so it'll be a little earlier than it would be for a lot of folks here in the US. My mom had mentioned it to me, and we'll probably check if we can see it after watching some anime. The weather here has been spotty though, so I'm hoping it's not overcast.

Last edited by Equus on Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
HarmonianHiccup

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh please, please do take pictures! More than likely I won't be able to see it. :(

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
Alcon

I have no idea what this means.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This better be good, and fast, because I've locked myself out and it's cold.

I'm strongly considering walking down to your house and setting it aflame if this doesn't live up to expectations, Tonberry. Be forewarned.
there was no way.
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Enjoy it guys!

We had an amazing view of a full moon here last night. A rare sight with all the bloody clouds! :P
Tonberry

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Alcon wrote:
I'm strongly considering walking down to your house and setting it aflame if this doesn't live up to expectations, Tonberry. Be forewarned.

Brick house.

So, I just checked it out and currently, where I am, I can see a crescent moon. The darkened section of the moon is a dark red right now, which is pretty awesome looking, if you ask me. It's supposed to get even better as more time passes, so I'll be checking it again in another half hour or so. It should be even better by then.
Darko

Spell to Bind Forever

235341 Potch
0 Soldiers
5809 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Staying up as well. I'm keeping Typoun company on mIRC since Gil and Yohnie left us. ;_; I'm also forcing three of my friends to stay on AIM so we can see it together!

To me at the moment it just looks like a crescent moon shinning bright white, with the rest of the moon that is slightly visible taking a dark gray color.

I'm not giving up though! *has camera at the ready* ^_^;;

RIP Gabriel J. Figueroa 1987-2007
Weyoun

Jem'Hadar

221521 Potch
100 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nooooooo! D: All I see is a red sliver through trees! I stayed awake all this time to see this... Stupid east coast.

Anyway, yeah, it sucked for me. The moon ended up getting at too low an angle and was lost behind some trees. I ended up running around in the dark to try and find it. At first, I did not, but before I gave up, I saw something! A sliver of light was seen through the trees! And you know what... it was red! :D

Yep, that was my night. A fun-filled night of seeing the moon through trees. Yay.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tonberry

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Camera, huh, Darko? Well, I just went out there to take a picture of it and it didn't work to well. Of course I just own a standard digital camera, and it's not really designed to capture objects that far away, but oh well. I can see a sliver of white on a field of black in the image, so it's not a complete loss. I can see a faint amount of red too.

Local moon non-picture update: The upper and center portions of the moon are now a dark, deep red, while from those areas in all directions on the moons surface comes a lighter shade of red, turning eventually into a deep orange at the tips. It's awesome!
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1156566 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The last eclipse of this type was back in 2000, however that was semi weak and it appeared as a tingy orange cover rather than blood red, of which I saw that while travelling in the car (as that eclipse along with this one happened around the 6pm-9pm mark). This time however, I only managed a glimpse as it took me longer than I had anticipated to scale my roof for a vantage point. (we have a block of land filled with pine trees which obscures views from our windows) It's still as awesome as I remember it to be, however it'd be better without all the damn street lights.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: