Suikoden Uncouth and Inspirational Kosher Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The Myth of Islamophobia?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Decado

Desert Elite

357208 Potch
0 Soldiers
4283 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If the priests are democratically elected then yes they can obtain office - regardless of their beliefs. Of course having extreme beliefs would work against you when running for election which is basically a popularity contest but the chance is still there.

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Timbo wrote:

I'd like to see some direct links about these beatings and such that the government turned a blind eye to

Here you are.

http://islamineurope.blogspot.com/2007/08/italy-court-discriminates-aga inst.html

And heres another one not on beating, just on freedom itself.

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/16309

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Here you are.

http://islamineurope.blogspot.com/2007/08/italy-court-discriminates-aga inst.html

And heres another one not on beating, just on freedom itself.

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/16309

I hardly think you can call those links outlying the problems of have Muslim poeple come into European countries, as in both cases, the problem didn't arise from Muslims, but from politicians and others in power trying to appease Muslims- with only the second one mentioning a Muslim opinion on the matter and it only mentioning one Muslim. I seriously doubt that the mass populous of Muslims in European countries want others to not be able to eat at their desks when Muslims celebrate Ramidan. Knowing a few Muslims myself, I know they don't feel that others should have to change when they celebrate Ramadan- it's something spiritual and personal for themselves.

The problem isn't Islam and Muslims, it's politicans not knowing how to react.
Nimble Jack

Guard of the Old Way

319192 Potch
250 Soldiers
125 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think that Sniper made this thread about the perceived problem with politicians attempting to please the Islamic community in order to gain votes/support. Which those links (particularly the second) have relevance. So Timbo you were entirely correct the problem is
Quote:
politicians not knowing how to react.

In general the absorption of Islamic culture into nations that have a growing populace of Muslims is something that I don't have a problem with. All I see that as is a government adapting to the people that are living in the nation. For example, Muslims getting time off to celebrate the end of Ramadan is something that is perfectly reasonable so long as everyone else gets the day off as well.

In a way I have a split opinion about Islamophobia. I don't think that fearing the spread of fundamental Islamic ideas and laws is irrational and so I don't consider that to be Islamophobia. To fear laws changing and being modified to adjust to a non-fundamentalist Islamic community is irrational and Islamophobic.

I don't think that the beating of a 19 year old girl woman is a correct thing to do. I would place laws or rulings that allowed that as a concession made to fundamentalist ideals.
Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I guess thats my point.

In a truly eqaul and free society we should'nt be bending the rules for anyone if we would'nt bend them for someone else.

In retrospect it would have been easier just to say that, but Im afraid as more allowances are made, muslims will continue to push the bar. And as said politicians probably wont know how to react. I guess the real problem is with the political system. Politicians dont seem to care about anything except racking up votes.

Cosby You! Black Entertainer

102725 Potch
420 Soldiers
30 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I dont understand how someone can say "I'm really afraid of islamic people having an influence in my country" and still not be sure if that makes them an ignorant fearing retard. do you still fear russians and germans? how about the british? or if you live down south what about the mexicans and the spanish? or how about the fact that america has fucked with the middle east for decades.

the world has some how convinced everybody that we're all civilized and intellectual beings now a days. if that was the case i'm pretty sure blockbuster movies and nascar wouldn't exist. and yet here we are in a site full of people who think that if you're islamic you beat children and slaughter puppies. or you rip women apart with whips and chains because they weren't wearing 99% body coverage. i'm actually pretty surprised to see a thread based entirely on hate get so far.

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

retrospect. wrote:
I dont understand how someone can say "I'm really afraid of islamic people having an influence in my country" and still not be sure if that makes them an ignorant fearing retard. do you still fear russians and germans? how about the british? or if you live down south what about the mexicans and the spanish? or how about the fact that america has fucked with the middle east for decades.

the world has some how convinced everybody that we're all civilized and intellectual beings now a days. if that was the case i'm pretty sure blockbuster movies and nascar wouldn't exist. and yet here we are in a site full of people who think that if you're islamic you beat children and slaughter puppies. or you rip women apart with whips and chains because they weren't wearing 99% body coverage. i'm actually pretty surprised to see a thread based entirely on hate get so far.

This is clearly stated as not a hate based thread at all, nobody here has ever said that they think all Muslims are somehow violent kiddie beaters who think they should have ten wives.

This is simply discussing whether its actually racist or phobic to be resistant to changes demanded by members of the Islamic community. these are mostly changes that effect other people and would otherwise be illegal. As said in another we dont think places like the US and UK are gonna be turned into Islamic republics but (as I said in the post above yours) my real problem with this is the simple fact that in a truly eqaul society then we should'nt be bending the rules for anyone religious or not.

Whether its being told not to eat in front of people who are fasting for Ramadan in case you "offend" them, to the extreme of beating your kid and saying its for her good becuase the Quran says so (yes an Italian court said it was OK), these allowances would'nt be allowed if anyone else asked for them. I dont think I could force my work colleagues not to eat if I decided to go on a diet. And simply labelling these complaints racist is the truly "retarded" notion.

However if anyone on this thread said anything like "We should kill them all" or "Send em all back to Muslim land!" then I'll bow down on this one.

Rebel of Babylon

1133304 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Personally speaking, I don't have problems with anybody based on their beliefs, skin colour or what language they speak, what I do have a problem with is when people from other countries (not restricted to muslim countries, but any immigrant) into my own and then start protesting the laws of my country and demand exemptions while screaming about discrimination and violations of human rights.

Yes, what I described above has happened, at least in British Columbia, far too often and, as has been mentioned by others in this thread, the politicians cave and give these people what they demand, likely because they fear losing their votes. I don't personally like it when there are different laws for different groups of people, but there's not much I can do about it except not support the government responsible during the next election.

I'll give an example just so you know what I'm talking about. Years ago, the provincial government of British Columbia passed legislation requiring cyclists to wear helmets and, shortly thereafter, introduced similar legislation for motorcyclists. Almost immediately, in both cases, vocal members of ethnic groups who wear religious headgear rose up and declared this to be a violation of their human rights and demanded that they be exempt from this law. They also claimed that their cloth headgear would be protection enough from any impact. In the end, the government caved and allowed exemptions for people who wore religious headgear as well as people with, and I am not making this up, unusually large heads.

Naturally, the ones who are demanding the exemptions and screaming about discrimination and whatnot aren't representative of the entire community of said immigrants, they are the ones giving their community a bad name.

Am I racist? I would have to say, in the strictest sense, no. I do believe that we'd be deluding ourselves if we claimed we weren't prejudiced in some way, since all of humanity is prejudiced is some form or another.

Quote:
i'm actually pretty surprised to see a thread based entirely on hate get so far.

If this was a hate-based thread, the admins or moderators would have put a stop to it immediately. If it becomes hate-based, they would see to it that the thread is closed and anybody promoting hate would likely be banned as it is against the rules of the forum.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I'll give an example just so you know what I'm talking about. Years ago, the provincial government of British Columbia passed legislation requiring cyclists to wear helmets and, shortly thereafter, introduced similar legislation for motorcyclists. Almost immediately, in both cases, vocal members of ethnic groups who wear religious headgear rose up and declared this to be a violation of their human rights and demanded that they be exempt from this law. They also claimed that their cloth headgear would be protection enough from any impact. In the end, the government caved and allowed exemptions for people who wore religious headgear as well as people with, and I am not making this up, unusually large heads.

I don't really see the problem with that. In many religions headgear is essential to their religion and removing it is a horrible thing to do. If people are required to wear helmets, they are basically required to go against their religion if riding a bike or motorcycle. Considering that some of the people who this would effect would wear religious headgear before the law being passed, the new law would essentially make it a sin to ride a bike or motorcycle for these citizens. So, essentially the law would make it impossible to hold that religion belief and ride a bike, which is infringing on religious freedom- which in many countries is seen as a human right. Personally, I don't think they should have passed a law making people wear helmets.

Quote:
This is simply discussing whether its actually racist or phobic to be resistant to changes demanded by members of the Islamic community. these are mostly changes that effect other people and would otherwise be illegal. As said in another we dont think places like the US and UK are gonna be turned into Islamic republics but (as I said in the post above yours) my real problem with this is the simple fact that in a truly eqaul society then we should'nt be bending the rules for anyone religious or not.

Although I agree that there shouldn't be bending of laws for people, I think there should be laws giving people religious exemptions for things. But, giving exemptions should only effect those of the religion, not every one else. I mean, I don't think its wrong that my Jewish friends get off from work and school on Jewish holidays, but I think it would be wrong if the government made me celebrate the holiday.
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1133304 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, with the example, it's not an issue about religious holidays or whatnot, it's about a law promoting safety. If these exempted people were to be seriously injured should they be hit by a car while riding their bike, their medical expenses would be covered by the taxpayers and said group had flat out refused to exchange free medicare coverage in the case of an accident for the exemption. Basically, they wanted everything their way. I think it's wrong that the taxpayers would have to pay for medical expenses incurred by an injury which could have been presented had said people not demanded and received an exemption.

Again, I'm not talking about the entire community as I'm sure there are those who wouldn't have any problem obliging, and there was actually one person in the community who wrote an opinion piece on how the exemption could be exploited by those who don't wear religious headgear. But I can say with absolute certainty that had a group represented the white population demanded exemptions, it would have been flat out refused without question.

One thing about catering to religious demands which I have a problem with, is it isn't universal. I'm not sure how it is in the US or other countries, but up until recently immigrants (those uptight, unreasonable ones who want things their way and only their way) would get up in arms about Christmas music and decorations in shopping malls and in general, saying how it offended their beliefs. The politicians caved to these demands as well, primarily on the Christmas music as the decorations didn't seem to disappear. Even using "Christmas" is public advertising wasn't permitted, as it was changed to "The Holidays."

But what I've found is that the politicians were bowing to the minorities of the minorities as I've worked with people of the community who would wish us a Merry Christmas. So, really, it's not the ethnic communities I have a problem with in these cases, rather the politicians who have no trouble trampling over other religious practices or customs in favour of others.

So, in the same vein that I feel there should be one law for all, I feel that all the religions should be treated equally, which still isn't the case but it is getting better. I don't think that's an unreasonable concept.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is mainly what Im refering to Gregory.

The real problem I have (Im saying this way too much) is that laws that apply to all the public are being bent for one particular group.

We had a very simular thing with Christmas and the Nativity. Im not religious, my mother is Athiest and Im Agnostic and Ive been that way all my life but I consider Christmas and the Nativity a tradition, and one that Im proud of.

I just find it strange that these people knowingly immagrate to a mainly Christian country, with these traditions and beleifs, and then have the cheek to actually protest about something that really does'nt affect them; I mean no school is forcing muslim children to take part in these plays if they dont want to or forcing them to write Christmas cards. And yet they act as if publically celebrating Christmas is some sort of deliberate act carried out in order to offend. Another funny thing is that some of these immigrants even come from countries where even attempting to promote Christianity is a crime punishable by death.

I guess the ultimate irony is (as Gregory points out) that they preach about their right to be treated eqaully, with eqaul respect and rights yet they expect changes to those very laws to cater to what they think is right and eqaul.

One Law, One Rule for everyone! No Gregory, I dont think thats an unreasonable concept, in fact I think its a brilliant idea; if only there was a country in the world that actually backed it up.

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Timbo wrote:

I don't really see the problem with that. In many religions headgear is essential to their religion and removing it is a horrible thing to do. If people are required to wear helmets, they are basically required to go against their religion if riding a bike or motorcycle. Considering that some of the people who this would effect would wear religious headgear before the law being passed, the new law would essentially make it a sin to ride a bike or motorcycle for these citizens. So, essentially the law would make it impossible to hold that religion belief and ride a bike, which is infringing on religious freedom- which in many countries is seen as a human right. Personally, I don't think they should have passed a law making people wear helmets.

I forget, helmet laws are passed because people don't want to pay money for people who are hospitalised due to accidents? Or is it differnt in other areas of the world. Should people who are 'exempt' for these sign papers saying "this is in my religion and because I cannot take this off, if I land on my head in an accident my family will pay the bills". Maybe the same rule should apply for the "i don't need to stinken laws" well gregory answerd that but.... just to do it again.

Quote:
One thing about catering to religious demands which I have a problem with, is it isn't universal. I'm not sure how it is in the US or other countries, but up until recently immigrants (those uptight, unreasonable ones who want things their way and only their way) would get up in arms about Christmas music and decorations in shopping malls and in general, saying how it offended their beliefs. The politicians caved to these demands as well, primarily on the Christmas music as the decorations didn't seem to disappear. Even using "Christmas" is public advertising wasn't permitted, as it was changed to "The Holidays."

Yeh that is kind of amusing and annoying. I work (or worked?) designing vinyal flags, and due to that 'law' I cannot make pretty christmas angels for this company because they want to play it safe and be PC, they are doing this to a point that (because of bad experances in the past) they won't even allow Hanukkah themed flags (someone was upset because one of their artists coudn't draw a dradle right or something), To me its like an ironic and backwards, in the sence some people want children to learn in schools that the entire existance is only 4,000 years old and humans ate all the dinosaurs (dragons to the belivers). So by this "put prayer back in school teach creationism, ban evolution!" and now we have "Don't wish me an irrevelent holiday, you are insulting us seculuar humanists!"

ah well.

Zonder wrote:
Quote:
What does genital mutilation or murder have to do with laws in predominantly Muslim nations?

I recall genital mutilation being a practice used by fundamentalist Islam. That isn't to say that they are the only group that does it--it is just saying that they do do it, and it isn't acceptable in Western Civilization.

ah, female circusision, it keeps girls pure for their men, takes away any sexal-sensual pleasure and among other things. the Masai do it and many others, some take off everything some are a bit of slice and dice, some use sharp rocks and others trick their little girls into going to the doctor for the procedure with lies (or so my psychology book mentioned in one woman's case) Thankfully nobody is running around saying "you must do this"

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: