Suikoden Uncanny and Irrational Kibbutz Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The Myth of Islamophobia?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: The Myth of Islamophobia? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hi everyone.

I have been wondering about this for awhile and this is mainly about the spread of Islam in Europe and Britian, and specifically about the spread of Islamic laws in Europe, which I'm kind of worried about. Anyway I watch this guys videos on youtube, he's against religion but this is'nt an athiest vs. religion debate or a "lets bash Islam" debate, this is just a debate about whether its racist or phobic to be fearful of the spread of Islam and I think this guy makes some good points. He also talks about vote mongering politicians making allowances for Islamic people that would have landed anyone else in jail becuase its worth a strong vote. As a result the right to protest has been witheld in Belgium by the mayor in case the Islamic community is "offended". Just for reference Ive got his vids here, he includes links to more information on his videos so you can read into them. You dont have to watch them to participate in this thread if you already have a strong opinion about Islam.

The trouble with Islam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhN6CG1zCRc
Why are we friends with Saudi Arabia?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm8IuR2VF3M
Am I a Racist?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1ZLXbKeL2U
The myth of Islamophobia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR9LVf_KMO0
Islam in Europe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI5WoXpmPiM&mode=user&search=

Anyway the line that did it for me was

Quote:
"A phobia is an irrational fear or dread of something and its true many people fear and dread the growth of Islam but theres nothing irrational about that when you look at the evidence. In countries were Islam has control theres represion, theres torture, theres precious few human rights and theres no free speech"

I think to call this statement Racist or Islamophobic is pretty stupid becuase its actually true, Islamic ruled countries dont have things like free speech and basic human rights and being gay or preaching christianity as well as showing your face if your a woman is punishable by death. And I think there is something to really be feared from the spread of Islam law in western society given its brutal nature.

Also this is'nt a debate about the war in Iraq either. But if you wish to talk about Iraq as a government and a country then feel free.

Hope you guys enjoy debating this one. Seeya.

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think you need to make a distinction between the Islam religion and Islamic states. Not all countries with Islam as the dominant religion are as extreme as you state and many countries that have a majority of Islamic citizens don't identify themselves as an Islamic state as it is not in the laws. You switch between talks of spreading Islam and of spreading Islamic law (Which I assume you are defining as the laws of 'Islamic states", such as Iran, Pakistan and Afghanistan), but these are two drastically different things.
Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well yeah.

Islamic law is based on rules and laws set out by Islam as a religion, maybe not all states are as bad as Pakistan, Iran and Afghanistan but in Italy, Belgium and Germany. Laws are being bent to appease the Islamic community when anyone else would be arrested. This seems to be the first signs of Islamic law rearing its ugly head and its not like these are simply harmless exceptions. Pilagamy and Savage beatings are being turned a blind eye to. A father and brother of a young woman even plotted and eventually carried out a murder and called it an "honor killing" this happened in Britian so they were obviously tossed straight into jail like the murderers they are, but with the allowances being made in Europe, Its a little worrying.

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The terrible things you mention will never be widely accepted by Western society in our lifetimes. Its an irrational fear because most nations have laws stating that not even religion can override a person's basic human rights. Sure, maybe you'll see men with multiple wives in some countries, but you won't see things like forced genital mutilation or murder go unpunished.

It just won't happen.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What does genital mutilation or murder have to do with laws in predominantly Muslim nations? I'm not exactly certain about the former (I've never researched it), but murder is certainly a punishable crime in those nations. I don't see how the former wouldn't be. Human rights are also protected, though some nations are better at protecting them than others. Just like with everybody else.

I'm not sure if any of you have watched the War Within on CNN. It's overdramatic, like all CNN specials on Islam, but you see a lot of footage with Muslims and Muslim leaders who are horrified by how fundamentalists are becoming the face of Islam in Europe and the world. There's one part where one of the guys tells his congregation to go out and be good neighbors and show people there's nothing sinister about them. One of those feel-good moments.

The underlying cause of "Islamophobia" is the belief that Islam is somehow encroaching upon the west. That's it.
Flare

Flying Bolts of Doom

680830 Potch
3700 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think that part of it is the fear of the unknown, too. How much do people actually know about Islam? Not much. One of my major pet peeves is when people act like Allah is a separate deity altogether. It's just the Arabic word for God, people! Are we going to condemn the hispanics for worshipping Dios, too? I bet not. I think that if people took the time to actually do research and understand the religion and the history behind it and the fighting between the Shiites, Sunnis, and Kurds, they wouldn't react the same way that they do now.
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
What does genital mutilation or murder have to do with laws in predominantly Muslim nations?

I recall genital mutilation being a practice used by fundamentalist Islam. That isn't to say that they are the only group that does it--it is just saying that they do do it, and it isn't acceptable in Western Civilization.

Whether Islamic countries by and large accept the practices I listed isn't really of any concern. I was simply trying to point out that practices normally feared by people in regards to Islam (Zegai pointed out murder, and I can recall articles about the "outrage" that Islamic women were having their gentials mutilated) would never reach their way to Western shores unpunished. I wasn't trying to prove or disprove whether or not these practices can actually be used in Islamic countries without consequences.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

No_Brain

0 Potch
6 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm sort of lost on what the debate's on about. No offense Sniper Zegai but first you talk about a lack of rights that would come with Islam and then you say that people are getting away with crimes which generally would not be tolerated. Doesn't this mean there is an increase of rights?

Furthermore, even though there are cases where laws are bent in order to appease the Islamic community, generally, this is not the case. Look at the Netherlands, where 1 out of 6 people is a Muslim. They are not getting more rights, their rights are being restrained. And radical politicians who are elected with promises of practically stopping immigration from all Middle Eastern countries, banning of burqas and face covering veils. This in fact is oppressive of the Muslim community. And the Dutch aren't the only ones who are fighting the Muslims in this fashion. For instance France’s nationalist parties are swelling with popularity as more and more immigrants form eastern countries arrive.

Frankly, I find it inevitable that Islamic immigration should continue. Europe is old. Not just historically, but socially as well. Slowly the majority of people are getting older, and there are fewer and fewer kids. Immigrants provide fresh blood, someone to keep things going, and naturally they bring changes in society. We just have to learn to deal with the fact that they'll be our neighbors from now on.

Lastly I'd simply like to make a mention of Germany. The country has a huge population of Turks, most of whom are Muslim. However there are no radical changes in laws, the Islamic community does not protest anything because they do not need to protest anything. They are treated just like any other German citizens, and even though they sometimes claim racial discrimination, they are living perfectly well alongside the local populace.
Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think you have a good point Zonder, I dont think the worst of Islamic law will ever hit western shores but the allowances being made in Europe already are just unacceptable.

The savage beating of a teenage girl by her father was turned a blind eye to in Italy, with Pilogomy legalized for Muslim men in Germany and the right to protest being halted in Belgium, it feels like some of the most basic principals and rights that make the west what it is today are being undermined for the sake of political correctness and by politicians who could use the strong Islamic vote by doing making exceptions that would land anyone else in jail. And I think this is where the real racism and fear is.

Who knows, I may be taking too much of a FOX news look on this but the crimes that have already been commited and then been defended by Islamic "law" if you can call it that, is something I am genuinly worried about.

0 Potch
6 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What does poligamy have to do with the most basic principles of the west? Sure, all traditional religions of the west are monogamic. But poligamy is not some sort of holy concept that all constitutions in the west have always relied on. Furthermore what is wrong wiht poligamy? ANd how often are savage beatings of children turned a blind eye to? Often enough to make the instance in Italy special only in the fact that the fathre was a muslim and he hid behind that fact. Note, he did not beat her because he's a muslim. Kids are beaten by father's of all religions and nationalities. He simply hid behind the fact that he is muslim. It's a basic legal trick called the "race card" or the minority card in some cases. How often have you heard of cases in the US where a black man claims he is prosecuted only because he is black? But we don't get africophobia, do we?
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't know anything personally about Islamophobia in Europe, but a little bit about it in Australia, since i am a Muslim living in Australia.

Well, to start off, this is going to look very partial on my behalf, but there is a lot of, perhaps it's the not most accurate term but it's close enough, anti-Muslim bias. I don't know what particular reason for this, but it's most likely a number of different reasons.

One issue talked about in this thread was polygamy. I haven't heard anything about this in the news or whatever media in the past 4 years or so, since it's not a big issue to start with. Mainly because it's permitted, but not promoted. Personally, I have never met any family that had more than one wife involved, and i lived in Nigeria, Pakistan and Indonesia, which have one of the largest muslim populations in the world. Of course it doesn't mean that there aren't any, but this practice is not popular at all nowadays.

One other topic talked about was genital mutilation. Most that i have heard of came mostly from Somalia. I haven't read too much about this, like Leb, but i do know for certainty that it in fact had nothing at all to do with religion, but was something practiced within that culture.

Something related to this would be this case in Australia where a publisher was summoned to court to dicuss the legality of distributing literature in books sotres in islamic communities which were expressly anti-Western. Truth is indeed stranger than fiction, since that publisher did win the right to distribute the books. I was surprised by this, and would disagree with the court's decision, but their lawyer must have found some loophole.

I had read some articles related to the relevance of what No Brain was talking about. Most Western governments don't seek appeasement of their Muslim communities, like here in Australia. However, they are being careful to not appear racist. An example here in Australia is that the department of immigration made some revisions, stating that for a foreigner to come live in the country they have to embrace "Australian values". It was very strange since the term "Australian values" was so ambiguous, and required some elaboration.

I would have to say that the term "Islamophobia" is an apt term, since it is an irrational fear about Islam and/or the Muslims in general. These people have had a set image, thank to their imaginations, on what they would act like. The truth of the matter is that most, if not all, muslims living here, like me, don't care for changing laws in our country. But they can't help but get defensive when the politicians (e.g. A politician spoke against abortion stating one reason being that otherwise Australia would have a Muslim majority) and other people goes around bashing muslims and their religion.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
What does poligamy have to do with the most basic principles of the west? Sure, all traditional religions of the west are monogamic.

Not true. Fundamental Mormons, a denomination of Christianity, allows Polygamy and has been in America for a long time.

I'd like to see some direct links about these beatings and such that the government turned a blind eye to, as most Islamic states don't allow murder and most Western states will still punish people for killing a person with a religious intention, so I find it some what doubtful that they didn't do anything.

Also, nearly a fifth of the population of the planet are Muslim and many countries that have a majority of Muslim citizens don't have these laws you mention. If the worry is that many Muslims will come to the countries and change all of the laws, I think more research should be done about countries with a high Muslim population, since I think you are only mentioning a few extreme cases.

Last edited by Timbo on Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Timbo wrote:
Not true. Fundamental Mormons, a denomination of Christianity, allows Polygamy and has been in America for a long time.

Though, one could argue how "traditional" the Mormon faith is. You don't have to look hard to find people who think of it more like a cult (particularly the polygamist wing).
No_Brain

0 Potch
6 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

My bad. Though I don't account mormons as much of a traditional western religion. Even sough, there are very few religions like this.

Quote:

I'd like to see some direct links about these beatings and such that the government turned a blind eye to, as most Islamic states don't allow murder and most Western states will still punish people for killing a person with a religious intention, so I find it some what doubtful that they didn't do anything.

I don't think I could find a link on fatal beatings whihc were unpunished. Mainly beacause the case in example was not fatal, but simply a bit brutal. I'll try to find a link, but the whole thing happened a while ago.

Overall the whole thing about islamic law coming in is quite ridiculous. Islamic law pervades only in islamic theocracies. And I don't see muslim priests being elected into office in the western world anytime soon.
Overdose

Space Monkey Punks From Japan

349252 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No_Brain wrote:

Overall the whole thing about islamic law coming in is quite ridiculous. Islamic law pervades only in islamic theocracies. And I don't see muslim priests being elected into office in the western world anytime soon.

I totally agree with that, the population may rise slightly but thankfully its true that priests would not be elected into office. In the modern world the more extreme laws would not be accepted.

FOREVER X!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: