Suikoden Utopian and Informational Kriegspiel Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

BioShock
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The RPG fan in me wanted to try and experiment however I wanted to save all the little sisters to get the 'good ending' but as you know the lack of ADAM was a bit of a hindrance, I did however find that the "one, two punch" combo never really loses its effectiveness especially if you use the melee boosting tonics. Im gonna give it another whirl and harvest the sisters this time around really try and mix it up, also Im gonna try and get the acheivement for completing the game on hard with the Vita-Chambers off.

Verse of Vitality

1798792 Potch
500 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oooh no! Say it isn't so! Don't hurt the little sisters T.T

-My DeviantArt-
Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Elzamine wrote:
Oooh no! Say it isn't so! Don't hurt the little sisters T.T

Mwuhahaha....Hell yeah, time to get that sweet, sweet ADAM!

In all honesty Im just curious as to what actually happens when you harvest one, judging by the original trailer I get to beat them to death with a wrench. Im starting the new game tomorrow because I just bought Assassin's Creed.

Crimson Crusaders

260069 Potch
250 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I tried Bioshock at my friend's house. He had it for his XBOX 360. I have to say, it is a pretty interesting game. The whole magic crap and city underground is an interesting concept. I hated fighting those damned zombies though :-( Mind you, I was playing this game at his house in the dark at like 3 in the morning while he was on his computer. D:

Return that soul to God.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

BioShock can be pretty scary at times, when I first started the game and you arrive at Rapture I was starting to think it was a purely survival horror game although there are elements of SH in there.

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think even closer to the end BioShock keeps much of the survival horror theme going. I think part of it is the great use of sound by the developers. Even when you don't see Splicers, Big Daddies and Little Sisters in front of you the area seems to amplify their voices so that it sounds like they're everywhere and nowhere.

This is one game where you can really freak a player out if they set their gaming environment properly. Have their computer or 360 hooked up to a 5.1 HD surround sound and keep the lights low. Just hearing a Splicer chanting and singing some kid song in the background and not know where they are can be quite scary. Not to mention entering an area where power is cut-off so there's little power to keep the lights on in the area. I've actually had more than one encounter where I go into a room and see no one only to turn around and see a Splicer right behind me right up to my face.

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I found the state of the city of Rapture by itself to be enough to maintain a spooky atmosphere for much of the game. It did an excellent job of drawing me in to a place that is utterly in ruin.

And the splicers, Little Sisters, and the things you stumble upon in the city are all pretty spooky as well. I played much of the game in the dark, and it can get pretty unsettling at points. The score helps with this as well, as I found the phonographs and city music playing classical 50's tunes is so surreal it's pretty disturbing.

Also, the audio diaries which reveal the story of the city's decline really add another dimension to the darkness of the game. It's not the darkest game I've ever played, but it's certainly not shy about the gritty, and I found that to be a pretty big part of BioShock's charm for me.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's the thing about BioShock in that it doesn't go out of its way to set-up shocks and jump scares to remind players that it is like a survival horror game. It's just the sum of all the little disturbing details about the game which makes it scary. Really, when the fighting gets fast and heavy there's nothing to get scared of unless it's a Big Daddy barreling down on you with it's drill. The game gets spooky and disturbing when there are lulls in the action and a player finally gets to see their environment without having to stay alive.

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tullaryx wrote:
That's the thing about BioShock in that it doesn't go out of its way to set-up shocks and jump scares to remind players that it is like a survival horror game. It's just the sum of all the little disturbing details about the game which makes it scary. Really, when the fighting gets fast and heavy there's nothing to get scared of unless it's a Big Daddy barreling down on you with it's drill. The game gets spooky and disturbing when there are lulls in the action and a player finally gets to see their environment without having to stay alive.

QFT, I mean games like Doom 3 which desperatly wanted to be scary relied on nothing but cheap scares and the 'boo' factor, it got boring very qiuckly.

I just love the way the Splicers react to you when you get them in view especially when you sneak up on one, for example at the beginning of the game when you get to the bar where the new years party took place there is a splicer knocking on the door and the way he looks at you is very creepy. A key element in making a good horror game is making you feel vunerable even if your not and BioShock does this better than most games that try to and more importantly it is'nt the main stay of the game.

While Im here, there have been some rumors floating around that Take 2 Interactive (the publishers of BioShock) are considering making the game into a franchise. In some ways this does dishearten me given the rather decisive nature of BioShock's endings besides I could'nt imagine another game taking place outside of Rapture. Despite this though I think a franchise is probably inevitable given the fact Take 2 Interactive are in some financial trouble even with the revenue that the Grand Theft Auto series has generated for them. Any thoughts on this?

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It is getting a sequel. Take-Two has opened up a new development studio in Marin, California to be called 2K Marin. It's most likely the studio created to work on future BioShock games. Ken Levine who was project director and the one who pushed the Ayn Rand-type theme and storyline will not be involved. It would seem Levine's push for perfecting the story rubbed most of the 2K Boston people the wrong way. Most of the people who make up 2K Marin going to be those from 2K Boston who wanted out from under Levine's group.

Future games in the series to follow the basic outline of BioShock but may be set in a different time era and/or setting. A sequel set in space or another inaccessible region to be possible. Take-Two has decided to make the games not come out year in and year out like most franchises so I'm hopeful that the new studio will take their time in coming out with the next entry in the series.

Verse of Vitality

1798792 Potch
500 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm officially pimped out for this game. I haven't even played it, but that's okay :D It was like watching an interactive movie, it's my favorite way to see games XD

-My DeviantArt-
Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tullaryx wrote:
It is getting a sequel. Take-Two has opened up a new development studio in Marin, California to be called 2K Marin. It's most likely the studio created to work on future BioShock games. Ken Levine who was project director and the one who pushed the Ayn Rand-type theme and storyline will not be involved. It would seem Levine's push for perfecting the story rubbed most of the 2K Boston people the wrong way. Most of the people who make up 2K Marin going to be those from 2K Boston who wanted out from under Levine's group.

Future games in the series to follow the basic outline of BioShock but may be set in a different time era and/or setting. A sequel set in space or another inaccessible region to be possible. Take-Two has decided to make the games not come out year in and year out like most franchises so I'm hopeful that the new studio will take their time in coming out with the next entry in the series.

This still troubles me, I think they could easily pull off a good BioShock in space or a deserted part of the earth, maybe years later Rapture is discovered and therefore Plasmids, who knows. But the fact that the team being considered for the seqeul disagreed with the emphasis on story is something I have a major problem with. I found that the strong influence from a great novel like Atlas Shrugged really made the game, lets hope the team in Marin either a) Dont get the contract for a seqeul or b) Learn something from the ear ache they got from Levine and realise his influence made BioShock one of the best games of the year addored by almost every critic who even touched it.

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think it has less of the development team having an issue with the storyline but more an issue with Ken Levine's management style. From interveiws I've seen of him the guy seems nice enough but rumors has it that those in his team thought he was quite the micromanager.

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There has to be some magic to make a game transform from 'another Unreal Engine shooter' into 'game of the year'. If they can't recapture that for a sequel, then it will simply fade into obscurity, as most things that are 'just on the Unreal engine' do.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree with that Para and I'm hoping they find a new theme for the sequel. Trying to recapture "Rapture" and Andrew Ryan in another setting would mean just that. A "Rapture" and Andrew Ryan in deep space or in a deep cavern. There's quite a bit of literary works and philosophical themes they can try out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: