Suikoden Ugly and Informational Kosher Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Thor Movie in the Works!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Thor Movie in the Works! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just read this and didn't find anything about it in this forum. There's a Thor movie in the works, with up and coming British director Matthew Vaughn slated for the Director seat. Filming is hoped to start by winter.

Here's a link to the article: http://news.yahoo.com/s/eonline/20070810/en_industry_eo/b9372a87_b42540 19_afb0_66957e536f95

I myself am excited for this movie, as the character of Thor has always impressed me, even if I don't read the comics. It's more the idea of him that makes me like him. I'm also unsure as to what actor would be best suited to play him. I imagine him as a big muscly guy, but Hollywood doesn't have too many of those. Maybe if Vin Diesel was white and blonde? :P
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm a tad cautiously excited about this project. This is one of those comic-to-film adaptation that has no middle-ground in terms of success. This one could either be great if all the factors converge to make a great film or another Elektra where an interesting character and backstory get thrown by the wayside. Already there's talk of conflict between the film's chosen director, Matthew Vaughn (Layer Cake and Stardust), and Marvel Studios about potential casting choices for the role of Thor. Marvel Studios want Triple H (yes, that Triple H of WWE fame) to play the role of Thor while Matthew Vaughn is dead set against it.

It doesn't help the film's prospect and Matthew Vaughn's side of things that his latest film, Stardust, didn't open to bigger numbers than hoped. In the end, Marvel Studios may have to be the braver of the two and compromise for someone else with enough of the look of Thor but also a performer who can actually act. Triple H has the muscle-bound look of someone who is an Asgardian, but his acting credits are far and few between and I wouldn't call his performance in Blade Trinity as acting.

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

1757439 Potch
4444 Soldiers
4225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Psh. This is going to be way off. The real Thor cares little about saving the world. In fact, he prefers to go to downtown on the weekend and find that cute bartender. This is Hollywood embellishment at its finest.

I actually like the character of Thor (really?) so I think that this will certainly be an interesting concept. As Tull said, though, I'm not going to get overly excited for it.

Not all ninja codes are brewed equally. Here at Shinobi, we use the choicest Bavarian hops that are ripened to perfection. One sip and we will have you saying...nothing.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tullaryx wrote:
Triple H has the muscle-bound look of someone who is an Asgardian, but his acting credits are far and few between and I wouldn't call his performance in Blade Trinity as acting.

Triple H's day job is as a wrestler. Practically his entire job is to act; if a wrestler couldn't sell a storyline to a crowd, they'd never get famous.

I think Triple H would actually make a good fit for the movie. He looks the part and I can see him doing a good job with it.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sophita wrote:
Tullaryx wrote:
Triple H has the muscle-bound look of someone who is an Asgardian, but his acting credits are far and few between and I wouldn't call his performance in Blade Trinity as acting.

Triple H's day job is as a wrestler. Practically his entire job is to act; if a wrestler couldn't sell a storyline to a crowd, they'd never get famous.

I think Triple H would actually make a good fit for the movie. He looks the part and I can see him doing a good job with it.

I have to disagree. Triple H is a long terms heel and goes for a 'big, bad and intimidating' look in wrestling. This is not a characteristic of Thor. Thor's speaks incredibly verbosely, is loyal and majestic looking.
Sophita

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So? Just because he's a long term villain in one performance hardly means he can't play good guys. In fact, he's been a face before in his wrestling career.

And since when is talking verbosely considered a special skill?

John Layfield wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1133304 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree with Sophita, Triple H has performed in a variety of different roles in wrestling, be it a blueblood snob, a mischievous member of DX and a face/heel badass. Every time he gets in front of the camera, it's his job to sell the character he's playing to the people in attendance as well as those watching on TV.

It's really no different than acting though, in fact, I would have to say it's more demanding than acting as it is primarily a live performance and if the unexpected happens, he has to be able to think on his feet to get the job done.

Verbosity is also a non-factor as it's the scriptwriter's job to take care of the dialogue and the other minutia, whereas the actor is the one responsible for the performance. From what I've read, the director is against Triple H because of the Chris Benoit tragedy, which really makes no sense at all. If Triple H were to prove to be the best choice for the role, but the director refused to consider him, then he would be doing a disservice to the film and should be replaced.

I really find it funny how there are people who refuse to believe wrestlers could be good actors, considering it is part of their trade. I'm not saying all wrestlers would make good screen actors but it's ridiculous to typecast someone just because of what they are most famous for.

Where physical attributes are concerned, make up and post production effects can really do wonders in that area. I'm afraid I can't agree with the "majestic looking" description for Thor, based upon images I have seen from comic representations, as he appears as goofy looking as any Marvel superhero. Since this is a Marvel movie, it is logical to speculate that it will be based more upon their interpretation of Thor rather than the classic mythological figure.

There's also the fact that one thing which Triple H is most famous for is that he is often seen with a sledgehammer, which isn't all that far off from Thor's Hammer.

Let me just put it this way... if all you had ever seen of Hugh Laurie's work was his roles in the Blackadder series, would you have ever believed he would end up playing a character like Dr. Gregory House? Typecasting has got to be the most illogical and offensive action which can be taken against an actor.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The thing is whether Triple H will be able to act as Thor is written in the screenplay. Yes, he does act for living since he is a WWE wrestler. The thing about typecasting will be much harder for Triple H to shed since his body of work, first and foremost, comes from professional wrestling roles that requires less of the overacting and extreme emoting and reactions (necessary since their reactions and expressions must be seen as far as possible in huge arenas). Plus, typecasting has always been part of the acting business. Why people should be surprised and shocked by it the surprising thing.

The thing that I don't get is why hire Matthew Vaughn as the director for any possible Thor film adaptation if he has no say in the casting. I don't know where the talk of Vaugh not wanting Triple H for the role comes from the Chris Benoit tragedy, but even if it was as director he has a specific vision for what the film will be all about and it might be less WWE action-movie and something that has action but also some seriousness to the story. Plus, Vaughn may have also seen Triple H's work in Blade Trinity.

I just think that if Marvel continues to insist on Triple H then Vaugh will most likely leave the project and the job will end up going to some unknown, first-time director who would be easier for Marvel to bully into making changes. I, for one, don't care much for Vaughn's work, but I can understand why he wants less of the super-buff Thor and something that approached a more typical Viking look. The warrior-king in the movie, The 13th Warrior was tall, well-built yet he wasn't Triple H bulk and he had a look that would suit the Thor character.

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

But Triple H already had one thing more than any of the actors that they can chose to play Thor: his characteristic weapon is a sledgehammer. It won't be that difficult to manage the Mjolnir...

Oh, and he's majesty even in the WWE. Remember, he's the "King Of Kings". An Asgardian God won't be a problem for him either.

(my opinion? He may not be the best actor on the planet, but if you don't come with too much expectations, you get a good surprise. He was also scheduled to play the role of Conan if I'm not mistaken)

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved

Last edited by Fundertaker on Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:39 am; edited 1 time in total
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1156566 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fundertaker wrote:
But Triple H already had one thing more than any of the actors that they can chose to play Thor: his characteristic weapon is a sledgehammer. It won't be that difficult to manage the Mjolnir...

Oh, and he's majesty even in the WWE. Remember, he's the "King Of Kings". An Asgardian God won't be a problem for him either.

(my opinion? I may not be the best actor on the planet, but if you don't come with too much expectations, you get a good surprise. He was also scheduled to play the role of Conan if I'm not mistaken)

That's like saying if you've got fat hands and use a slightly larger fork you can wield a trident no problem. Mjollnir isn't a sledgehammer, the fact that H can wield it in 2 hands and do a simply thrusting motion is hardly any sort of credence to hit possibility.

Anyway, with all the oldies returning why not good ol Dolphy boy take up the role. :D I mean it's not that far from the initial look of He-Man anyway.

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's not like I was saying that all seriously. I meant that as a small joke, since the Mjolnir is a clear one-hand hammer and must be wielded much different than a sledgehammer, and I really don't see Trips getting the role, unless people in Marvel really want him (the fact that he got a role in Blade Trinity went as a surprise for me as well at the time).

Sophita

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Uh guys...It's a prop sledgehammer. It'll probably weigh roughly the same as a cereal box.

John Layfield wrote:
Fundertaker

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually it's a real sledgehammer he uses. The only time he used a gimmick sledgehammer was against Undertaker and broke his hand (yeah, the contrary of what should have happen). That's why he always covers the sledge's head with his hand and makes that awkward stab-like move to the opponent's belly.

Sophita

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ack! No, I didn't mean to imply Triple H's was fake...but the movie's almost certainly would be.

There's no way using a real sledgehammer would be practical given how many takes they'd have to do. So strength in lifting a sledgehammer really wouldn't matter for a movie part.

John Layfield wrote:
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I first read this as "Thor McOdin in the Works!", went WTF for a second, and then realized that I was reading it wrong.

Anyhow, seems interesting. Oh, and yeah, Triple H would make awesome for this.

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: