Suikoden Urgent and Informational Kosher Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Who has the worst ownership in sports?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shuxion

1500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Who has the worst ownership in sports? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay you can use any team in any sport. Try to convince everyone that you know the worst owner/ownership group in all of sports.

I may have the winner here though.

THE BOSTON BRUINS!
Let me make my argument.
The team sold out every home game from 1969-1976! They won 2 cups in those years and all seemed well. Well Jeremy Jacobs bought the team soon after and they have been in a slow decline. I am a loyal fan and go to about 20 games a year. Every year less and less seats are filled with people.

The team is horrible, no talent, hell we traded the league MVP for 3 players who are not even on the team anymore. Joe Thornton in case any of you are wondering!

Jeremy Jacobs is the chairman of the board of owners in the NHL. That means he was front and center for the contract negoiations between the Union and owners. He set the team up so that they would be ready to scoop up all free agents taht would have to be bought out to keep other teams under the cap.

Then he gets "SURPRISED" when the union acepts a %24 reduction in salary. Now the Bruins had nothing.................... How was this guy surprised? He was front and center for the contract negoiations with the union after the lockout!

Oh yeah and they choose the best dates to announce ticket prices!!!
This year they chose the day Eric Gagne was traded to the Sox. Nice try Jacobs, you are the worst owner in sports.\

Great buisnessmen don't make great owners all the time!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Geddoe-9

The pahtless dude

156000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

definitly Man united for me. tHT guy who bought man. united should realy be kicked out. he knows nothing about football. i totally hate him
Sai Fujiwara

Executors of Divine Providence

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's nice. Two championships between 1969 - 1976...

Don't even make me laugh. The real worst owned team in America hasn't won a championship since 1957. Hell, they've only won ONE playoff game during that whole tenure. ONE FUCKING PLAYOFF VICTORY! Now, that's sad.

The team I'm talking about is none other than the Detroit Lions.

One playoff win since 1957...? Detroit made a few playoff appearances throughout the early 60's, but then after William Clay Ford Sr. bought the team in 1964, it's been almost an entire downhill slide since. Only a few random playoff appearances until Barry was drafted in 1989.

The Barry Sanders Show. This is and still has been the ONLY saving grace of William Clay Ford's ownership. Barry Sanders is the best running back I've ever seen play professional football, and that may be because I wasn't old enough to watch people like OJ Simpson or Jim Brown. Fuck Emmitt Smith, though. If Emmitt played for the Lions and Barry played for the Cowboys, Barry may have gone down as the greatest Running Back ever, and Emmitt Smith would've gone down as average. Not to take too much away from Smith, who is a great player in his own regard, but Barry had next to no offensive line blocking for him, while Emmitt had the best in the NFL.

Enough about that. It was while Barry was on the Lions, when Detroit began to gain some respectability. Players like Jerry Ball, Herman Moore, Brett Perriman, Rodney Pete, Erik Kramer, & Chris Spielman were some of the best Lions to play football since the 50's. It was with those players (minus Herman Moore, and Peete - Peete was out with injury, Moore wasn't on the team yet) that Detroit almost did it... They won ONE playoff game and put themselves in the NFC Championship. Ford could allmost be forgiven for his shit ownership, but Washington denied the Lions with authority and went on to (somehow) beat Buffalo in the Super Bowl. Barry stuck with the Lions throughout most of their successful years in recent history. It may have been because of his good relationship with then coach Wayne Fontes (a horribly UNDER-RATED coach in my opinion), that Barry was able to perform to his best, but once Bobby Ross (idiot) took over the team as coach in the late 90's, Barry decided that enough mediocrity was enough. He hung it up in 1998, and the Lions have been pathetic ever since.

While the 90's were fairly exciting to most Detrioit fans, this decade has been incredibly awful. After the 2000 - 2001 season, Ford hired Matt Millen. Anyone who follows the Lions to any degree knows that Millen is the ONE person that nearly everyone has blamed for their crappy performance. I disagree and point out how terrible the Lions were since Ford has owned the team. The only reason people blame Millen is because of timing. Millen was hired almost immediately after Barry left, which was the real marker of the turning point. The Lions were bad from 64-89 and have been bad since 2001. Millen, while he is an asshole with almost no class and a below average GM, isn't totally to blame for this. Ford's inept ownership, and penny-pinching since before the NFL's TV contracts can be attributed to why the Lions are so bad. Ford's only concern has been money. As much as possible. A complete and utter stark contrast to the Oakland Raiders' Al Davis. ("Just win, baby!") While Al Davis is getting senile, Ford is an idiot who might as well have been senile his entire life. Ford has never cared about winning, or about the city of Detroit, whom he fleeced twice. (Once for fleeing the city immediately after the riots, despite only having to pay $.01 a game for the Lions to play at Tiger Stadium, and recently by letting Detroit & the State of Michigan pick up the entire tab for Ford Field, despite Ford being a billionaire.)

What a guy.

Since Millen has been running the team, Detroit has had a wonderful record of 24-72, an NFL worst over that time period. Still think it's Millen? Chew on this; despite the team's poor record under Millen's leadership and the widespread discontent among fans ("FIRE MILLEN!" chants became popular at the end of the season at home games), the media, and even some players, Ford was kind enough to offer Matt Millen a five-year contract extension at the start of the 2005 season.

So, complain about the Bruins all you want. You at least had Bobby Orr & Don Cherry in the 70's. (Along with a Stanley Cup or two...) The Lions have been bad since the 50's.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love nothing more than to see the Lions go 10-6 this year and win a Super Bowl, and while the NFC North is pathetic enough to actually allow that, I tend to think that an 8-8 season is the best they can realistically do, and hope for that.

Happily Married to the Lovely Lady Chris Lightfellow! :D
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Haha, Manchester United! Of all the teams out there to pick.

So winning the league wasn't good enough for you, eh?

The Glazers may have forced the club back into debt as a result of their borrowing money for their buy out but they attend a lot of games each year, the company remains highly profitable so far as I know and they have invested heavily in bringing some of the top players in the world to that team over their ownership.

If I was a football fan I certainly wouldn't mind having the Glazers own my team. While it may be preferable to have a real football-person behind the scenes in some respects it barely makes a difference, the football is taken care of by the massive staff of coaches, the management and the players, the Glazers just keep the company moving as a business - until the point they start selling assets off in order to stuff their own bank balances to the detriment of the team I will continue to rate them as decent to good owners.

The only team I support has a fantastic owner, I love Ed Snider, he truly cares about the Flyers and all that it means to be involved in that franchise. He's a true great as far as I'm concerned.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sophita suggests the Blackhawks. I have no idea why, it's all Greek to me. In America.

Man United have the potential with the Glazers to go down the shitter but, right now? No. The Glazer's so far are managing a tricky juggling act and so if/until they drop their balls, to call them the worst ownership in all of sport is iffy.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
shuxion

1500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sai makes a great point about the Lions but they aren't even the worst football team in the NFL......

How about the Arizona Cardinals!!!!!!!

My point about the 2 titles was that was before Jeremy Jacobs bought the team!!!!

Trust me, as much as I LOVE the BRUINS and am a total sucker for going to so many hockey games.......... They aren't going to win a playoff series until 2028!!!!!!

Remember 2002? They were the #1 seed with the best record in the NHL!!!!
Yeah, the year they were beaten by the #8 seeded Canadians in 5 games!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sailor Sexy

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think Sai is more referring to the fact that the Lions have a much longer history of crappiness than the Cardinals do. And I'd have to agree. The management behind the Lions has kept that team as a joke for years. From poor draft decisions to general ineptitude, the Lions have to be one of the worst run teams in football, especially considering the lack of competition in the NFC North. Ok, the Bears were pretty decent last year, but overall that division should have a different winner each year, and if the Lions can't even compete for the top spot there, then there's something wrong.

Of the teams I support, the Philadelphia Phillies are probably the worst of the bunch, but I can't say that they have that bad of ownership. After all, they're typically the highest scoring team in the league, so if they'd just get some decent pitching to go along with that, they'd be unstoppable.

~Uguu!~
Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sailor Sexy wrote:
I think Sai is more referring to the fact that the Lions have a much longer history of crappiness than the Cardinals do. And I'd have to agree. The management behind the Lions has kept that team as a joke for years. From poor draft decisions to general ineptitude, the Lions have to be one of the worst run teams in football, especially considering the lack of competition in the NFC North. Ok, the Bears were pretty decent last year, but overall that division should have a different winner each year, and if the Lions can't even compete for the top spot there, then there's something wrong.

Of the teams I support, the Philadelphia Phillies are probably the worst of the bunch, but I can't say that they have that bad of ownership. After all, they're typically the highest scoring team in the league, so if they'd just get some decent pitching to go along with that, they'd be unstoppable.

I wouldn't put them as the worst. A lot of people say "They're the first to have 10,000 losses!" but there aren't many teams that have been around that long. But as a philly native, I do agree with some things you say. We're often dissapointed come the end of the season, but it could be worse. I'm not huge on baseball, and maybe I'm just ignorant. I want my team to be seen as at least decent! :*laugh*:

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

definitly Man united for me. tHT guy who bought man. united should realy be kicked out. he knows nothing about football. i totally hate him

Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't, but Alex Ferguson does most of the football-related stuff anyway. Glazer just splashes the cash.

And Glazer isn't that bad, I mean, they are abit successful after all... sure, Ferguson has a more significant role, but Glazer has had a bit of influence anyway. It's damn tough, but they're managing it so I don't see awful in my eyes. :P

EDIT: Oh snap, I forgot my answer.... the Knicks.

Wait, Isiah isn't owner, right?

nevermind.

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Sai Fujiwara

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Blackhawks aren't that bad of a team. Probably the worst team currently in Chicago, but in the 90's, when they had Ed Belfour, Jeremy Roenick, and Chris Chelios, they were a pretty good team, and I believe they made the playoffs quite a few times, possibly winning some series. Since those days, they've been pretty bad, though. I can't deny that.

Also, while the Cardinals (amazingly enough) are an older franchise than the Lions, when Ford bought the team back in '64, The Lions were a good, competitive franchise. Storied for winning three championships in the 50's under Bobby Layne. Arizona has been pretty mediocre throughout their entire existence. (They did have one NFL championship.) I'd like to point out that Arizona has also made some quality moves recently by aquiring Matt Leinart, Anquan Boldin, Larry Fitzgerald, and Eggerin James. I think their offense would be incredible, if they could only get their hands on some quality offensive linemen. Of course, Detroit has notoriously suffered from bad linemen for a long, long time.

While bad general managers are to blame for the slumps of a lot of teams, almost ALL owners want to win. William Clay Ford doesn't give a shit, and despite what he would say if asked, his ownership has proved where his heart lies. I bet Matt Millen wants to win, he's just not good enough to pull it off, and he's an asshole.

The Lions may be an old team, but Arizona is actually older and has fewer losses. I think the most recent years have really made the Lions look bad, at least in my eyes. My dad tends to laugh and say it's been this way since Ford's owned the team, but I was little during the "Barry Show," so I've actually been used to the Lions being somewhat good.

Sailor Sexy

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ezekiel wrote:

I wouldn't put them as the worst. A lot of people say "They're the first to have 10,000 losses!" but there aren't many teams that have been around that long. But as a philly native, I do agree with some things you say. We're often dissapointed come the end of the season, but it could be worse. I'm not huge on baseball, and maybe I'm just ignorant. I want my team to be seen as at least decent! :*laugh*:

Oh no, I wasn't referring to them as the worst team in baseball, I was saying that the Phillies are the worst out of the teams that I root for. Heck, the Phillies usually give us fans hope for awhile before crumbling apart and missing the playoffs, so they're not all that bad. It could be worse, I could be a Devil Rays fan, or a Royals fan. The Royals especially haven't done much of anything recently, and they've been a non-factor a lot longer than the Devil Rays.

~Uguu!~
Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sailor Sexy wrote:

Oh no, I wasn't referring to them as the worst team in baseball, I was saying that the Phillies are the worst out of the teams that I root for. Heck, the Phillies usually give us fans hope for awhile before crumbling apart and missing the playoffs, so they're not all that bad.

Haha, yep, you're a fan ;). They start of good, then suck for a while. Then they make their comeback and fall anywhere between 1-3 games short of making it.

The pahtless dude

156000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Edited: Don't post just to prove you can.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sai Fujiwara wrote:
The Blackhawks aren't that bad of a team. Probably the worst team currently in Chicago, but in the 90's, when they had Ed Belfour, Jeremy Roenick, and Chris Chelios, they were a pretty good team, and I believe they made the playoffs quite a few times, possibly winning some series. Since those days, they've been pretty bad, though. I can't deny that.

It's not how bad of a team they are, it's how bad the owner's are. Otherwise anyone who suggested Manchester United were the worst team in football/soccer would (rightly) be laughed out of the thread.

I think any team that refuses to show home games in favour of boosting ticket prices ($50 bucks a pop for a team that hasn't won the Stanley cup in half a decade) and refuses to spend any money to get decent players in hopes of just bleeding local fans dry is pretty damn bad.

Also, they're unpopular in Chicago, and folks, we like the Cubs, so it's not like the concept of enjoying games despite near-eternal loses is a foreign one to us.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sai Fujiwara

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Geeeze, from a Detroit standpoint don't even think about complaining about high ticket prices for hockey games.... :P I think Detroit has the highest home-game prices of any team in the NHL, but don't quote me on that. The Red Wings, in contrast, are probably one of the best owned teams in sports under Mike Ilitch. When he bought the team back in the early 80's, they were the worst of the worst, similar to what Chicago is now. Since acquiring Steve Yzerman in 1983, Ilitch has steadily made the Wings -THE- team to beat in the NHL.

And as far as ownership is concerned, I'm not too familiar with who owns the Blackhawks right now, but if they're as bad as you say, I'm willing to bet it hasn't been the same guy since 1964... Looking at Chicago's record since 1964, they have qualified for the playoffs nearly EVERY year until 97-98 and were Stanley Cup finalists for four years. The Lions have never appeared in a Super Bowl, and have one playoff victory to their credit under Ford's ownership.

While the 'Hawks have been really bad in the last few years, and their ownership may not seem to care, with the Lions, this has been a way of life since '64. As I've pointed out, Ford has fleeced the city of Detroit twice, apparently had his hand in selecting Joey Harrington in the 2002 Draft... Yeah. And if screwing over Detroit wasn't bad enough, he's also left the city of Pontiac holding the tab for the super-large Silverdome. He's an all around rich bastard whose sole purpose is to make money, and has shown absolutely no regard to the city or to how well his team performs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: