Suikoden Utopian and Irenic Kriegspiel Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Walmart: Now paying $0 an hour!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Walmart: Now paying $0 an hour! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No money for baggers

Yeah, that will lead to a good 10 year plan. I'm shocked that it isn't illegal, but hopefully the government will step in. Walmart is such a sweet and caring place. Any thoughts on what should be done, or just your feelings in general?

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Alright, now that's going too fucking far. I wish I could boycott those motherfuckers harder than I already have, but that isnt going to happen unless I actually start setting fires.

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They're a corporation out to make money and that's what they're doing. You can't really expect them to do otherwise. Just because they can afford to pay those kids doesn't mean that they will. They are not obligated by laws in Mexico to do so, apparently. It's no use getting mad at them. Get mad at Mexico for making such agreements in the first place. Walmart is just taking advantage of the opportunity that was around before Walmart ever got there.

And it isn't like the kids are getting absolutely nothing out of it. Walmart does provide accident insurance while they're commuting to/from and while at work and they can get gratuity from people. They do volunteer for this as well. They are not obligated to be there; they're not employees, technically. They can try to find money elsewhere, regardless of how difficult or futile it may be.

Do I think that this is right? Not at all. The kids are doing work and should get something reliable out of it. But I don't see why anyone would be surprised, shocked, or similarly affected by this.

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

First of all, it's just insane to have laws that allow this sort of thing. Mexico seems to have made their own bed here. However, it is downright shameful of WalMart to take advantage of such a thing. It really wouldn't hurt them to AT ALL to pay a generous wage to those kids. It's just astounding to me that there are people who can sleep at night knowing they're responsible for this kind of rubbish.

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
Seraphblade

imaginary soldiers

935122 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's also sad that the people who make these kinds of policies are probably already incredibly wealthy.
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1133304 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The trouble is, the kids are volunteers and, generally, when you volunteer to do something you don't get paid. In fact, the article does give the impression that the stores encourage their customers to give the packers (baggers always looks to close to "beggars" to me) a gratuity.

For the record, the definition of a volunteer is: "a person who performs a service willingly and without pay."

Just to clarify, I do not think this is a good setup, but the fact is it isn't Canada nor the United States, or any other country other than Mexico, for that matter, so judging it by our own standards doesn't hold much weight.

What I cannot fathom is how the subsidiary says the packers cannot be considered "workers" when they provide a service for a company (and their customers) upon their property. Yes, they're volunteers, but since the company allows them to work on the premises (which essentially means they've been "hired"), they should be classified as workers. (even if the designation is "temporary workers")

I literally just read a bit further in the article and my statement above was echoed by a top labour official in the Mexico City government.
Amyral

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

From what I get from the article, they're not the first and they're not doing anything illegal in the country, so technically, it's within their right. It does seem rather scummy, but the kids who are doing it know they're not getting a salary and choose to do it anyways. Like Mr. House said, it's Mexico's standard and practice, it's something they've had in place for a while.

I don't agree with it by any means, but I can't say it's morally reprehensible, since it's the common practice there and the packers likely know they're not getting paid going in. According to the article, they give bonuses when the kids keep their grades up and accident insurance when traveling and while on the job, so it's not as though they give them absolutely nothing.
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's very important that everyone understand what kind of company Wal-Mart is. Actually, just the term 'corporation' should tell you everything that you need to know. Corporations do not exist for the common good of the public. They do not exist for the purpose of making everyone rich - they exist for the purpose of making shareholders rich. People who have a stake in the company rise and fall with it.

Quite frankly, I completely agree with Sage. This is Mexico's fault. The fact that Wal-Mart can "employ" (regardless of whether or not they're technically employees) people to do work for them without having to compensate them is beyond absurd. This kind of thing would never happen under any name in the United States, or in a dozen other countries.

While it seems heartless of Wal-Mart to make a decision like this, that's the way a corporation works. It's not a benevolent person making decisions, it's figures on a page being reported to shareholders who are invested in the company, and who's livelihood depends (or depended, they're probably too rich to be bothered much now) on the success of the company.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
SwissStopwatch

Largest Falco Tribute Band Ever

186774 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, Mexico did set itself up in these circumstances to a large extent. I mean, a lot of things are incredibly unstable around there, certainly. Their political situation on both the regional and national level is such that full riots occasionally break out... although, to be fair, it's prompted by things like governors stealing elections (and everything else they can), or faking their own kidnappings to attempt to gain sympathy. And, as far as the economy, things are quite clearly not good on a lot of levels.

Also. I had the same reaction as Doc House about the quote saying that they couldn't be considered workers. You clearly want them doing the work for you! There are some benefits, but, come on. Unlike nonprofit organizations, they can afford to pay something. I can buy working at a nonprofit organization as a volunteer and not getting paid, but, there's no way I'm going to "volunteer" at a grocery store for no pay and few benefits. It's absurd. Yes, I'm volunteering there, as opposed to somebody kidnapping me and forcing me to bag groceries, but it being a commercial enterprise, I ought to be able to expect a paycheck. Tipping may be customary in Mexico, but even so, tips alone are usually pretty weak.

That said, though, it may be true that the laws allow for this, and Wal-Mart being what it is, the opportunity will definitely not be missed. In fact, many or most of us will act in our own interests whenever we can. It's unfortunate, but it's also true. It's why loopholes like this should be closed... it's bad when people can avoid things they should have to do, like paying taxes or wages. And since at least some government officials are very much not on board with this little "volunteer" arrangement, there's a small chance it could be changed. Small, mind you. From paying attention to news and talking to people who've lived there, it wouldn't be unfair to paint Mexico with various shades of corrupt and selfish as far as some government officials go. Meaning, Wal-Mart can bribe people. And, if that option's open to them, I doubt they'd be averse to it, if they think they can get away with it.
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Personally, I am offended by this sort of thing, since I do consider that as work and they should be paid for it. I don't like hearing about stories like this

Professionally speaking though, it is Mexico's fault that such a thing can happen, seeing that it's legal there. It is regrettable that such a thing can happen, but I suppose nothing can be done unless the Mexican government changes its definition of what is work and what is not work (I think that the subsidiary must have been lying through his teeth).
In addition to that, it's not like they literally give out 0 dollars an hour. The least I can say about Wal-Mart is that they do give out bonuses to the baggers with the highest grades and they also have insurance both at work and when not at work. The kids who signed up for this were also fully aware that they were not getting anything else, so it can't be counted as a scam either.

In short, I don't like the idea of it, but I certainly don't think that it's much of an uproar either.

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think this is plain wrong.

Although I think this problem began with Mexico's policies with the way they treat these workers, but for all intents and purposes Wal-Mart should know better and they are basically exploiting these workers for a profit.

Its funny to think W-M has been around only 16 years and already it seems to be stepping on everyones toes at every turn.

This should'nt be legal, but I dont think Wal-Mart are to be blamed for that policy. But they should be blamed for exploiting it when they have the power to give these workers a decent salary.

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sniper_Zegai wrote:

Its funny to think W-M has been around only 16 years and already it seems to be stepping on everyones toes at every turn.

Just as a side note here, Wal-Mart has been around for about forty five years now, not sixteen. It was founded in the 1960's. It's certainly become a much more significant entity in the last twenty years or so, but it's definitely existed for a lot longer than that.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Parallax wrote:
Sniper_Zegai wrote:

Just as a side note here, Wal-Mart has been around for about forty five years now, not sixteen. It was founded in the 1960's. It's certainly become a much more significant entity in the last twenty years or so, but it's definitely existed for a lot longer than that.

OK fair enough, but still. As far as most corparations go you gotta ask yourslef "Why are people targeting WM?" with the minor stuff like inadeqaute car park security and stuff like that, Im sure many companies fail and we like to see big names like WM dragged through the dirt, it makes interesting news. But it seems like with all these dodgy revelations appearing about misconduct with WM, Im starting to think "Whats next?"

1500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They aren't breaking the law so what can you do?
My issue is that many workers at Wal-Mart are on State Paid Welfare benefits that we pay out of our paychecks because Wal-Mart [pays such a crappy wage.
Though I am a proud republican........this one falls squarely on them (The welfare thing, not the mexico thing. The mexico thing is the fault of mexico.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ferrouslupusrex

Ferrouslupusrex

563 Potch
673 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Where can I sign my 3 year contract?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: