Suikoden Urgent and Illusional Kriegspiel Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Interstate 35 Bridge falls into the Mississippi River
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seraphblade

imaginary soldiers

935122 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Interstate 35 Bridge falls into the Mississippi River Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/minnesota_bridge_collapse

Quote:
MINNEAPOLIS - The entire span of an interstate bridge collapsed into the Mississippi River during evening rush hour Wednesday, sending vehicles, tons of concrete and twisted metal crashing into the water.

The Interstate 35W bridge, which stretches between Minneapolis and St. Paul, was in the midst of being repaired when it broke into several huge sections.

The Homeland Security Department had received no indications Wednesday night that the collapse was related to an act of terrorism, department spokesman Russ Knocke said in Washington.

"We continue to monitor the situation. At this time, there's no indication of a nexus to terrorism," Knocke said.

It was not clear how many people were injured. WCCO-AM reported that one body was seen being pulled from the area, covered with a blue sheet.

A burning truck and a school bus clung to one slanted slab, while at least eight cars and a truck were submerged in the river.

The bus had just crossed the bridge before it crumpled into pieces, and broadcast reports indicated the children on the bus exited out the back door.

Ramon Houge told the St. Paul Pioneer Press that he was on his way home from work on the bridge when heard a rumbling noise, saw the ground collapse and cars go down.

Traffic was bumper to bumper and hundreds of people would have been involved, he said. He said cars backed up as best they could and he parked in a construction zone and was finally able to turn around and drive off the bridge. "It didn't seem like it was real," he said.

Dozens of vehicles were scattered and stacked on top of each other amid the rubble. Some people were stranded on parts of the bridge that aren't completely in the water.

Local television stations captured video of injured people being carried up the riverbank. There was no official word on injuries, but dozens of rescue vehicles were there. Divers were also in the water.

Gregory Wernick Sr., Rockford, Ill., drove over the bridge shortly before the collapse. He stopped to get a drink nearby and heard commotion so he went back.

"I figure I crossed about 10 minutes before it happened," he said. "That's just too close to call."

He was standing about 200 feet away on top of a parking ramp with large group of people.

"I've never seen anything like this," he said.

The Homeland Security Department had received no indications Wednesday night that the collapse was an act of terrorism, department spokesman Russ Knocke said in Washington.

"We continue to monitor the situation. At this time, there's no indication of a nexus to terrorism," Knocke said.

The arched bridge, which was built in 1967, rises about 64 feet above the river. Workers have been repairing the 40-year-old bridge's surface as part of improvements along that stretch of the interstate, the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reported on its Web site.

This is very shocking news indeed.

The article doesn't mention what may be the cause. Of course I don't believe it's a result of terrorism as that is highly unlikely, but most the accident was more likely caused due to the ongoing maintenaince on the bridge. We'll likely hear more about this.
Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, they said it was being worked on yesterday. I get the feeling somebody is in deep shit. Or the state is doing too little too late? Regardless, we'll be hearing about it until X-mas. A shame though, I don't know how I'd react in a situation like that. We got a few bridges closeby that go over the Delaware River. It be quite a fall, a lot higher then that bridge. Luckily people had time to get off, and there are only 3 confirmed deaths so far. Let's hope there's no more.

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've just been watching the report on Fox.
The thing that's terrible about this is that you know there are people still in there that they either can't get to or no-one knows where they are--the entire thing makes me sick with...I dunno how to describe the emotion.

You almost wish you could have someone to blame—someone to get angry at, no matter if that doesn't actually do anyone any good—it's not even a natural disaster that you can pin on Mother Nature. It's just an unhappy tragedy.

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The fact that the bridge was going through some sort of retrofit renovation would be a major clue as to what might have caused one of the road pylon to collapse under the weight of the vehicles driving over them. This is one reason why the bridges in San Francisco and the region are only worked on at night when there's little traffic.

There's bound to be a lot of calls from state and federal lawmakers to go back and check procedures on bridgework during rush hour. I wouldn't be surprised if such type of bridge work becomes less common and all of it done at night as some states have already begun to do.

Headstrong

317417 Potch
2460 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kind of a big deal around these here parts, since it's only a couple hours from my home, and the Mississippi is like..right outside my home. Every news station has it on.
ard, save the dirty talk for when we meet!
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1133304 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This actually reminds me of the old TV movie: The Night the Bridge Fell Down. I am not making that up, it is a real movie, though I wouldn't be surprised if few people really knew of it, since it was made in the early 80s. Hell, I barely remember much about the movie, save for scenes of the bridge crumbling piece by piece, while attempts are made to rescue the people stranded upon it.

It's freaky how life can sometimes imitate art. (even if it isn't exact, it's still "close enough" for me)

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Jowy Atreides

486378 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, the only aspect that's really interesting to me is the hundreds of organizations, both public and private, that show up after these types of problems occur in the US. Even the Army Corps of Engineers is involved!
Geddoe-9

The pahtless dude

156000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

this is terrible. were the officials aware of the brdgei problem
Sailor Sexy

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So, I wonder how they're getting across the Mississippi river now? I ask, not because I'm heartless (although I am, that's not the reasoning here) but because if they're diverting traffic across another bridge, all that added stress is something they're going to have to examine for that bridge as well. I read up a little bit on this since I originally am from Minnesota, so it's like something happening in my old neighborhood, even though I lived a couple hours away from The Cities. Sounds to me like it was a combination of improper design for the amount of traffic that went over it, and poor maintenance. No doubt the fact that Minnesota heavily salts their roads helped contribute to an uneven deterioration on the bridge.

Sucks that some people died by drowning, lousy way to go. Times like this make me glad I'm a fairly apathetic person towards stuff like this, otherwise not being able to point a finger at any one person or persons would drive me nuts.

~Uguu!~
Seraphblade

imaginary soldiers

935122 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
this is terrible. were the officials aware of the brdgei problem

It was known that the bridge was defiecient, but I believe prior inspections still rated the bridge usable. I know some are going be in trouble because of this accident (possible lawsuits and people getting fired).

As for other ways to cross the Mississippi River, we just have to hope those bridges are much better designed and in better condition.
CAPTAIN PLANET

Headstrong

317417 Potch
2460 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The bridge is only 40 years old. Not that old for a bridge. They were doing on contruction on it, but none of it was structural, really. They were filling in potholes and such.

Evidently, authorities came to inspect the bridge, to see if terrorists were at work, and they say it was purely accidental, and no one tampered with it.
Masaya

Flying Fusillades

222963 Potch
75 Soldiers
3635 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No, the construction going on the bridge was very minor. It was just fixing potholes and whatever. Nothing that should have altered its ability to collapse.

Honestly, what happened was it was just a failed bridge. It wasn't built to last, and obviously it didn't. Nothings perfect. Its terrible what happened thought.

I live about a hour away from Minneapolis, and have taken that bridge multiple times. I have friends who commute over that bridge to work almost every day. And actually have a few friends who drove over the bridge about a hour before it collapsed. I'm soo happy they are safe.

The pahtless dude

156000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

such a terriblee thing. i wonder what happened to the architech tah desinged the bridge?
Amyral

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bridges aren't generally designed by architects, they are designed by civil engineers who the specifications of the government. The bridge was likely designed by a civil engineering firm, but the blame for it's collapse rests on the government, who set the standards for it and who are generally lax in providing funding for it.
CAPTAIN PLANET

Headstrong

317417 Potch
2460 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As of now, still 8 people are missing in the wreckage. such a terrible thing to happen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: