Suikoden Unique and Irenic Kraalesque Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Girl Gamers: An informed Piece
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vincent Chase

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Girl Gamers: An informed Piece Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

www.womengamers.com

Alright, this thread is about three things: Girls who play games, Female Protagonists/Characters and Games that are geared towards girls, if you can even say that there is such a thing anymore. As alot of people here and other places have hit on, girls are taking over the console industry, making up anywhere from 37-47% of the Gaming Audience, depending on where you read from. Even here, towards the bottom, Square-Enix mentions that about 30% of fanmail comes from females, up much higher than the 6% years ago, and this is attributed to Final Fantasy VIII, a big, romantic story. Of course, as games move more into the mainstream with highly-realistic consoles and the new portables, more and more women are going to pick them up.

So since there are two types of us, this leads to two likely opposing perspectives out of hundreds of less likely ones. Although this 'female gaming revolution' has been underway for a few years now, everyone must have a perspective on it, and what's yours?

I'm definitely for this equal opportunities gaming...movement, if you can even call it that. Since currently there are more women in the world than men (about a 51:49 ratio), it's the largest market for them to cater to, unless they plan on selling a console to every man, woman and child in Asia. I think that if there's another sex to try and cater to, some elements of feminine thought (not to be confused with feminist thought) that are different from male thought then these things can be developed better.

Now before I hear 'But Ice, the sexes are treated equally and given the same situations (mostly) with which to live with every day...what can be different?' Look at the first paragraph, and answer these questions. I know this is going out to a largely male membership base here at suikox.com, but I hope some of you like OptimisticPessimist, Sophita, St. Ajora, Jurhael and others get in here and opinionate.

----------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------

So, here are the questions, they are about Final Fantasy VIII. My answers are below

1) Did you play final Fantasy VII?

Yes, and I didn't like it, anything about it...except Zell and Quistis.

2) What did you think of the love story involved?

I thought it was a good idea, like a well-executed love story is to any RPG or massive story epic. However, since the game was rushed to be put out (in the wake of FFVII's massive success) they really could have done it better. Squall-Rinoa-Quistis was an alright Love Triangle, but I kind of thought that everything was slanted towards Rinoa since the beginning, negating the whole purpose of the love triangle. Although FFVII is less of a 'traditional love story', it worked better because the Triangle was unpredictable, for a time at least, until Aeris was knifed by Sephiroth in the City of Ancients. In the future, I think that FFVII will be remembered as the better love story of the two, not only because it was first, but just because it was more interesting and unpredictable than that of FFVIII.

3) Do you think Final Fantasy VIII was a success or failure?

Verdict still out...It sold a buttload of units (never underestimate the sheer numbers of the Final Fantasy Fanboy Legion), but just about everyone I know or have ever asked about it either likes it slightly or not at all (randomly interspersed with a few people who love it here and there). Despite the cries, again glance the first paragraph, 30% or letters about the game to S-E coming from girls, up from 6%, that's quite the big rise.

----------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------

I think that if there's one thing that increased female involvement in games (from the start to the finish of the process) would help improve these clichéd love stories, at least in Final Fantasy games. I think that S-E definitely took notice of all of these new fans...Final Fantasy IX was a love story, again better orchestrated than it was in VIII. Final Fantasy X and X2 are pure love stories. X is 'The Bodyguard' meets 'A Never Ending Story', and X2 comes around and wraps up all of the loose ends. I'm sure someone out there will try to pen X2's...fine I'll say it, overall crappyness on the healthy dose of Estrogen that S-E put into the game, and they aren't wrong. I'm all for taking games and gearing them towards female audiences, if you don't know that you haven't been reading my post, but I just think they tried to do this transition too fast. Really, the costumes, the Dress Sphere system and the love story, all this game needed, but then they ruin it with a far out premise and a concert that, though beautiful, was right out of place. If the game just had those three things instead of all of the other stuff that people feel didn't work as well, S-E could test opinions and see what and what not to put into their upcoming games. If anyone has numbers for FFX2 broken down by sex I'd love to see them.

Alright, now onto the female protagonists. Somewhere on that womengamers.com site is a review of all of the different female characters in the games they have played. The only character to get a perfect score is Lady Chris Lightfellow. If someone knows the exact URL to that, please post it (The ladies who run that site are using some foreign encryption...Can't...find...anything). I like the female protagonist in RPGs, they lend main characters a more vulnerable, likeable quality, and unlike the men their stats are less predictable, making leveling up actually fun. I don't have to tell you that my favorite female protagonists came from the same game, and their names are Celes and Terra.

But for the female protagonist to work, does the type of game have to be different? I don't really know about this one, but it's a thought. In the Final Fantasy games the themes are usually revenge, finding yourself, atonement and tragedy. In Final Fantasy III/VI, the themes are Good & Evil (much, much more so than any game in the series up until X), coming to terms with who you are going to become and death, lots and lots of death. I don't know if this was different to put the two female leads through trials so they can be measured up against 'The Boys' or just to give a different flavor to all of the monotony, but I do know one thing: FFVI/III is the best game in the series by far. Whether or not this is directly because of Celes and Terra or indirectly caused by the slightly more female perspective in the game I don't and will never know. Does anyone else notice that Chris Lightfellow combines alot of the traits of Celes and Terra? She's unsure of herself (like Terra), powerful/influential (Celes), Knows little of her past (again...Terra!) and finally, the grace that marks both of their characters. I haven't played the other three Suikoden games yet, but I'm sure alot of the females I hear about, Valeria, Nanami, Tengaar, Odessa and so on, owe alot of their development to Terra and Celes.

And the female characters in Fighting games aren't mentioned because they're just there to look at*, and aren't given any back story.
* - I challenge anyone to name a fighter from Soul Calibur, DoA and Tekken that isn't good looking, and not 'I don't think she's good looking because...', you can tell if someone looks good or not, even if you personally don't find them attractive.

I could probably say the most about my last topic, but I really don't know what else to elaborate on about it than what I do, because both the term and the idea of Games for girls is becoming narrower and less defined (and this is a good thing). I know a few girl gamers, and the games they play can be called anything but girly. One I know is a die hard Soul Calibur II freak and is the only person that can beat me with Link (though I own her with Kilik). Another loves fast and frantic action games, like Devil may Cry and God of War. The only girl I know that plays lame games anymore is my sister, who loves lamefest efforts that are called 'Girly' be even girls like Yoshi's Story and Mario Party. I think she just does it to spite her because I tell her that if you ever meet a nice guy who loves games and then you say "I liek Yoshi's Story!" he'll laugh at her. Still waiting for that to happen, someday so I can laugh.

But seriously, really no games that can be said to be 'Entirely Geared toward Girls' anymore. You can make a case for any Dance Dance Revolution game and even those pocket pets, but then one day you may go to Japan and see everyone playing DDR and using pocket pets (I hate you...cyclical trends...). Therefore, you can pretty much denounce the phrase 'Meant for girls' when talking about games anymore, because it's a generalization. An example of this is when All of these Mary-Kate & Ashley Olsen games came out they were meant to be geared towards (young) girls, but I'm sure some guys picked them up, the twins just have that effect on people. Maybe it's a bad example, as I'm sure there are games with 'girly' elements to them that are better choices for me to name, but this post has gone on for a damn long time now and I think if I don't end it soon no one will read it.

So, what did we learn today?

1) Alot of girls play games, thus your pickup line "Come back to my place and play some Tekken V" just might work. You also shouldn't ever say "Girls don't play games!" ever again.

2) Final Fantasy VIII was horrible. Someone with a mind more geared to appreciate romance (like a girl) would definitely appreciate FFVIII more than I would. And if you don't like the direction the series took with the love-heavy storylines of X and X2, then if you read this article, you know who to blame :)

3) Celes and Terra were the blueprint for the modern Female Protagonist, a simple cross comparison reveals this. Female Protagonists can deal with a variety of issues that Male Pros can't,. but that doesn't mean the game has to be different for them.
P.S FFVI rocks

4) No games are truly geared towards girls, just like there aren't games meant specifically for guys, because people are all different, and there are guys that play Yoshi's Story and some Girls that play Resident Evil IV. Calling certain games geared to girls/guys is a generalization.

And that ends this. If you have a problem, an argument, an agreement or another perspective (such as the female perspective, something I'm pretty oblivious to, if you were fooled by the post). This post is over.

~THI~
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I liked Yoshi's Story...

AND Final Fantasy VIII.

(EDIT: AND Final Fantasy X-2!)

There is no problem, no issues, no nothing regarding gender in video games. Oh no, Dead or Alive has bouncing big 'uns, but it also has giant muscular topless men who aren't exactly facial disfigured. As does Tekken and, well, any other game. Devil May Cry doesn't have the main character as a woman, but it does have the just-begging-to-be-made-into-yaoi Dante faffin' about.

No-one should care what gender the main character of a game. Guys didn't whine because their beloved Tomb Raider didn't have some big-ass lummox as the main character. So why should a girl complain about it. Besides, how much a difference can they make, they're not going to have it talk about anything in detail anyway. The characters would act the same, they'd just look different, big wow.

So what if a girl has to control a guy in a game? Does it really make that girl think "I'm not really in control and I feel I'm not truely interacting with this game because the mass of polygons doesn't suffer from virtual 'problems' every month."? Of course not. At least it shouldn't. Just as when I play a game with a main girl character, I'm not complaining that she sits down on the tiolet, I just want a good game!

Games were never categorised into 'boy games' and 'girl games' except by the lowest form of idiot. Games are games, some appeal to more people than others. Whatever.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What about the strong female presence in Xenosaga and the integral part that female's played in xenogears? Are those games seen in a positive light from a female perspective? From where I'm sitting, Xenosaga is to FFVI as Gears is to FFVIII -- kinda... well in some aspects.... then again, I see elements from FFVI in almost every RPG I play.... I call it the blueprint. :)

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Blackjack

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I, personally, find that website to be...Suspect.

It's quite heavy on the bias. I mean...In what universe was Rinoa a positive female character?

Was it the time she decided to go after the most powerful person on the planet and needed Squall to save her?

Or was it the time she was hanging off the edge of the Garden, and needed Squall to save her?

Or maybe the time she lapsed into a coma, and needed Squall to save her?

Or was it...

Yeah. My point is, in no way in Rinoa Heartily an 8.0 on the "Respectable female" list.

They seem to judge them based on how much skin they show.

I mean, come on. Princess fricken Zelda got an 8.0. That's just not right.

YES. YES IT CAN.

"Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming." -- Myrna Loy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Blasphemy000 wrote:
What about the strong female presence in Xenosaga and the integral part that female's played in xenogears? Are those games seen in a positive light from a female perspective? From where I'm sitting, Xenosaga is to FFVI as Gears is to FFVIII -- kinda... well in some aspects.... then again, I see elements from FFVI in almost every RPG I play.... I call it the blueprint. :)

I agree hear. Where is Elly rated in all of this, she was one of the strongest most developed female roles in any game I have ever played.

Quote:
Female Protagonists can deal with a variety of issues that Male Pros can't.

Could you clarify this for me? I am at a loss of what female protaganists can deal with that male protagonists can't, besides the obvious sexual things.
Vincent Chase

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Blasphemar! Says:
Quote:
What about the strong female presence in Xenosaga and the integral part that female's played in xenogears? Are those games seen in a positive light from a female perspective? From where I'm sitting, Xenosaga is to FFVI as Gears is to FFVIII -- kinda... well in some aspects.... then again, I see elements from FFVI in almost every RPG I play.... I call it the blueprint.

I never got all the way to the end of Xenogears, I was too busy sleeping while they decided to give me the entire story of the game in dialogue *yawn*. Episode I didn't even last five hours, and I refure to play Episode 2, mainly because I think the title, Jenseits von Gut und Bose is a translation of Nietzsche's Beyond Good and Evil. One thing bothers me about this, and not only because every damn game has to try to look intelligent by having a few connotations or even a name of a Philosopher's work, but because 'Gut und Bose' is clearly 'Good and Evil'...Jenseits is not a word, or at least not a German word. If you're not going to translate something properly, leave it to people who can.

Timbo says:

Quote:
Could you clarify this for me? I am at a loss of what female protaganists can deal with that male protagonists can't, besides the obvious sexual things.

Everything that they have to deal with in games and in life comes back to the 'sexual things'. It has to, since it's what makes them differnet from us, but hey, a few examples might be good.

1) I can't use a word to describe this, but consider that in North America women weren't allowed to vote until the early 20th c, and I don't really know/care about the European numbers at this time of 4 AM. They haven't always had the power to decide their fates, and haven't always been viewed as equals to their male counterparts. Wait a minute...Gender Equality! I've only seen a few examples in Games of Female Heros being treated truly equal to Males. It's highly unlikely Nash would hit on Percival if he was the Daughter of the True Water Rune bearer, even our perceptions about the opposite sex (and this goes both ways) are different from eachothers, and this dissonance creates a situation of inequality (and I use 'inequality' in the best possible way here, because really how bad does anyone here have it?)

2) Think of the 'tough, manly' image. No doubt you picture Harrison in Indiana Jones, Matthew Mchonaghuey in Dazed and Confused or Reign of Fire and Tom Cruise not at all. The point is that we have this determined. Every guy knows that the male 'hero' is a hulking, powerful warrior who always saves the damsel in distress. Women, however, don't really have a template like this to go on, with the toughest girls in movies being Kate Beckinsale in Underworld, but she was also in Pearl Harbour so she doesn't count. The place where girls can find the most diverse and varied examples of 'the female hero' are in video games, especially fighters with lots of female characters who can throw down and look good doing it. What I'm saying here is that There really is no concrete idea of what constitutes the female hero.

3) The innocence factor. It's a word that when applied to guys is really just another word for their naivety, like How Cloud is 'innocent' to the events of his past in FFVII. However, it gets thrown around when talking about girls, both in and out of games. Just to put us all on the same ground, here is a definition. Girls seem to be stereotyped more often than guys are, and not just with innocence...with just about everything. If you don't think this statement is true try to tell me exactly what goes through your mind when a pretty girl walks by, it's probably not Hmmm...I wonder how her mind works. They need to escape from this, and a powerful female protagonist should defy convention in some ways, but maintain to it in others. This is why Celes worked so well in VI. She was tough in battle and extremely headstrong, but also showed her femenine side at the opera, and her loving side when Cid dies.
Beethoven4567

Sacred Guards

39804 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

It's quite heavy on the bias. I mean...In what universe was Rinoa a positive female character?

Was it the time she decided to go after the most powerful person on the planet and needed Squall to save her?

Or was it the time she was hanging off the edge of the Garden, and needed Squall to save her?

Or maybe the time she lapsed into a coma, and needed Squall to save her?

Heh.......... I too, thought that Rinoa is absolutely not a positive female character that can set a 'role model' and 'idol' for girl and women gamers out there that are in need of true, hard-as-nails, and tough female characters that can be cool heroines.

There should be more female characters like Sierra, Millenia and Chris in RPGs to portray that women can be just as badass as men in times of saving the world and protecting people. It can also break the sterotypical female heroines in RPGs that tend to cling on to the hero's shoulder in order to survive challenges, obstacles and hardships.

I can't wait for there to be RPGs where the hero is female and ends up having to save male party members instead of the other way around :mrgreen: .
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There are many different male-hero archtypes besides the one you mentioned and the same goes for female heroes. The young wide-eyed boy who is thrust into a war is the other main male hero archtype. Females have the tomboy who everyone thinks is a weirdo for being interested in 'mans stuff' but gets to prove shes brilliant when evil rears its ugly head. They also have Sassy Princess With Attitude!, the annoying archtype of female herorism.

Both genders share: Eternally wide-eyed innocent brat you just want to smack upside the head and the cycnical git who the hero helps realise the beauty of the world once more. And let us not forget the boring lump of muscle that grunts a lot and exists only to punch things.

If I see a pretty girl of course the first thing I think isn't "I wonder how her mind works" but it's a guaran-damn-tee that it isn't the first thing a woman thinks if she sees an attractive man either. I'll think about if I want to get to know her, at all, but its not a man thing, that's a bloody person thing. Terrible example.

Males and females can feel the same way about the same things. Deciding that female characters are needed purely to delve into an emotional situation in a way a mere man cannot understand is gender profiling at its most insidious. Different view-points are attached to us not by gender they're attached to us by ourselves.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Hot Ice wrote:

I never got all the way to the end of Xenogears, I was too busy sleeping while they decided to give me the entire story of the game in dialogue *yawn*. Episode I didn't even last five hours, and I refure to play Episode 2, mainly because I think the title, Jenseits von Gut und Bose is a translation of Nietzsche's Beyond Good and Evil. One thing bothers me about this, and not only because every damn game has to try to look intelligent by having a few connotations or even a name of a Philosopher's work, but because 'Gut und Bose' is clearly 'Good and Evil'...Jenseits is not a word, or at least not a German word. If you're not going to translate something properly, leave it to people who can.

Jenseitz von gut and bose has been translated as Beyond Good and Evil in almost every book translation of Nietzsche's work, secondly jenseits is a word and means (according to this site http://www2.dict.cc/ ) across, beyond, on the other side or Kingdom-come. So that sounds like an incredibly accurate translation to me and going by the book, which I have read numerous times, beyond good and evil is a good summation of the content, which is talking about surpassing the good and evil labels to become something more.

Quote:
Everything that they have to deal with in games and in life comes back to the 'sexual things'. It has to, since it's what makes them differnet from us, but hey, a few examples might be good.

It may be true that everything goes down to sex, but no video game I have ever played has addressed games in that way. So if they started it wouldn't just be a female thing it would be both.

Quote:
Wait a minute...Gender Equality! I've only seen a few examples in Games of Female Heros being treated truly equal to Males. It's highly unlikely Nash would hit on Percival, even our perceptions about the opposite sex (and this goes both ways) are different from eachothers, and this dissonance creates a situation of inequality (and I use 'inequality' in the best possible way here, because really how bad does anyone here have it?)

OK, I think a game about gender equality could be done, but I would say that it must have a strong male and female role to get a balanced view of th subject and, to my knowledge, it is still something that has never been strongly addressed in games. So bringing it to the table would be new to males and females and could be adressed by a male or female character.

Quote:
2) Think of the 'tough, manly' image. No doubt you picture Harrison in Indiana Jones, Matthew Mchonaghuey in Dazed and Confused or Reign of Fire and Tom Cruise not at all. The point is that we have this determined. Every guy knows that the male 'hero' is a hulking, powerful warrior who always saves the damsel in distress. Women, however, don't really have a template like this to go on, with the toughest girls in movies being Kate Beckinsale in Underworld, but she was also in Pearl Harbour so she doesn't count. The place where girls can find the most diverse and varied examples of 'the female hero' are in video games, especially fighters with lots of female characters who can throw down and look good doing it. What I'm saying here is that There really is no concrete idea of what constitutes the female hero

The "tough manly hero" is only one type of male hero, as John Layfield said. Fei from Xenogears, Hugo from Suikoden 3, Jr from Xenosaga, and Tidus from FFX are hardly "Tough manly heroes" as you described them. The :damsel in distress that has to be saved" I can agree on. Most games portray women as that, which I think should change, but that is not protraying a role that only women can portray. Well, technically you can't have a male damsel in distress, it would be a duke in distress or something like that.

Quote:
3) The innocence factor. It's a word that when applied to guys is really just another word for their naivety, like How Cloud is 'innocent' to the events of his past in FFVII. However, it gets thrown around when talking about girls, both in and out of games. Just to put us all on the same ground, here is a definition. Girls seem to be stereotyped more often than guys are, and not just with innocence...with just about everything. If you don't think this statement is true try to tell me exactly what goes through your mind when a pretty girl walks by, it's probably not Hmmm...I wonder how her mind works. They need to escape from this, and a powerful female protagonist should defy convention in some ways, but maintain to it in others. This is why Celes worked so well in VI. She was tough in battle and extremely headstrong, but also showed her femenine side at the opera, and her loving side when Cid dies.

Women are stereotyped more than males, which I think should change. A good example of it changing is Elly from Xenogears, which is why I wonder why she wasn't rated. EWly was a leader of a special task group, strong willed and mostly independant. The only time I can think of her being even close to a damsel in distress is when she joins up with Deus and you ahve to save her. I wouldn't say this is a damsle in distress istuation because 1.) Most of the planet had joined up to connect to Deus 2.) Her mind ahd been taken over by the mother of all humanity and 3.) She did so willingly to try to save people's lives.

I'll agree that most guys don't look at women and think, "I wonder how their mind works". But, as John Layfield said earlier, most women don't either. I work at a job with two other guys and seven other women. The most common thing discussed by the women is cute guys that walk in to take surveys.

And your definition of innocence has naivete in it as an exact defintion, so you attempting to make a distinction between the two by saying men are naive and women are innocent doesn't really work.

So, I see what you are saying. You are saying that women are misrepresented and mostly stereotyped in games, which I agree with you in. But, your original claim is that women can express things that men in games can't, which you haven't really shown. Gender inequality can be shown both ways and if women show something that men can't, then men can show something women can't as the oppresors of the situation. There is really no concrete idea of what constitutes a male hero either, unless you are going to bland undeveloped stereotypes.

So, let's get more women character that arent stereotypes, I would love that. But, it's not really going to bring something to the table that a male can't bring, unless it's sexual things.
St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Awesome thread! This will take me ages to get through.

Quote:
everyone must have a perspective on it, and what's yours

Hmm well, first off, I think it's cool. Just cool. I mean it makes no difference to me whether gaming is aimed at boys, and excluding the females, but I do have a problem with games being aimed at the girls. I hate to sound really sexist here, but we all know the teenybopper girl that *loves~Yuna!1* and exists only to see her fall into the arms of her knight, Tidus, or to see Squall brood and moan over whether or not he wants to jump Rinoa. Those "types" of girls usually do not get past the Final Fantasy aspect of gaming (or S-E) and do not want to, anyway. And that's what my problem is. If the gaming industry were to start including more "feminine" aspects (again being sexist, just bear with me) would they be targetting an audience like that? I certainly hope not. As long as they kept releasing games without directly trying to appeal to both genders, then i'm alright. I started playing video games when I was 8, and that was 10 years ago...I bet no one really acknowledged female gamers in the industry back then (besides fans themselves) so I grew up on male video games. They didn't appeal to my gender, I just liked them. Thus, if any company went out of their way to make a "girly" game, it would suck, for me. Since every girl is different, it's safe to say, a lot of female gamers would reject a girly game, except for those that haven't branched out yet- as in the Yuna lovers! we don't want hardcore romance and sub-par difficulty, we want what we have been getting for years.

Note that I am heavily generalizing to make my point, and I in no way am implying that all Yuna fans are 14, and braindead, and that they have no desire to branch out into other games. I'm just using an example which works, and expanding on it.

Quote:

Yes I did, one of my favorite games. Got it when it first came out.

Quote:

I loved it. At times, when I got fed up with the story line, I only played to see what would happen to Squall and Rinoa. Keep in mind, I was 13, and at an age where romance appealed to me, and all other aspects of the game that I should have caught, went un-noticed. Now as I am older, I can easily look past the romance and appreciate the game for what it is and isn't.

As for the love story itself, I thought it was sweet and very believable.

Quote:
Squall-Rinoa-Quistis was an alright Love Triangle, but I kind of thought that everything was slanted towards Rinoa since the beginning, negating the whole purpose of the love triangle.

I don't think that was even supposed to be an issue. We only assume that Quistis liked Squall, and was trying to reach him, but ultimately gave up very early in the game. Nothing more is presented to us, nor does she try to come between them at all. It's a very minor, even non-existant plotline, drummed up by fans, I believe.

Quote:
In the future, I think that FFVII will be remembered as the better love story of the two, not only because it was first, but just because it was more interesting and unpredictable than that of FFVIII

The only love story in FF7, existed around Tifa and Cloud. Aeris liked Cloud- that's for sure, but other than subtle hints, nothing was really drawn out or revealed. When Aeris dies, Cloud lays her to rest, but nothing more. Both girls don't admit their feelings toward Cloud, and later in the game, we all KNOW Tifa wants Cloud, but the confession doesn't come in the form of dialogue. That little aspect of FF7 was very low-key nd not focused on at all, so I wouldn't call it a love story. If Aeris had lived, something would have happened, but the romantic element in FF7 died with her.

Quote:

A success. FF8 boldly went where no other FF had gone before, which made a lot of fans angry. I welcomed the change, and the romance and would not change it if I could. That isn't to say that I dislike some things, because I do, but a game is a game, and we all can't love one completely. There has to be *some* flaws. My issues don't involved the romance in the game whatsoever.

Quote:
I think that if there's one thing that increased female involvement in games (from the start to the finish of the process) would help improve these clichéd love stories, at least in Final Fantasy games.

I wouldn't say so. I don't think FF8 was targeted partially, for girls, because that was a good 5-7 years ago when it was being developed and released. Although the female gamer population was growing, the boys still had the majority. I know you're not saying this, btw, I am just mentioning it. Now for your comment- I don't think bringing in more girls will do away with "cliched" love stories. For one, that's in the eye of the beholder. Two, the gaming industry has just recently introduced these plot elements- as in putting the love story in the spotlight. I don't think they're ready to get rid of them, because they do add some mystery and character development. FF had two major love stories, and a number of minor ones, and they were all different. Romance is inevitable, and the addition of female gamers wont change that. A number of boys like the romance too, so it's not really a deciding factor based on the ration of girls.

Quote:
I'm all for taking games and gearing them towards female audiences, if you don't know that you haven't been reading my post, but I just think they tried to do this transition too fast.

I don't think so. This has been happening in the last 7 years. What else has happened? Better graphics, easier games, new games, and an increased interest in video games in generally, for boys and girls. I don't think the love stories have a huge hand in that, as we're only discussing Final Fantasy. Not all girls who get involved in video games start with Final Fantasy, nor are they all influenced by TWO games alone. Like I said, FF8 and 10 had the two biggest love stories, out of a total of over a dozen games. 4,6,7 and 9 and possibly 12 have not been based solely around romance, yet, they contain some aspect of it. And that's not bad at all. I mean, if you want your characters to be lifeless, fine by me, but I'd like to see a little bit of realism in my heros. And romance is part of that.

Again I'll say, romance is not solely for the girls. We're still talking a huge majority of boys here. It would be a deathwish to include a huge romantic storyline in FF10 just to bring in a female audience. Not all females go for that storyline anyway, and not all boys hate it. We're still hugely outnumbered, so I wouldn't go so far as to think that the reason there are love stories in two FF games, is to hook the younger, female new gamers. Romance was bound to happen anyway, because it provides a lot of emotional advancement for the video game. But of course, we again are only generalising, because we're assuming that FF is the cause of the female market climbing...when it could easily have been Silent Hill, and GTA adding to that.

Quote:
Really, the costumes, the Dress Sphere system and the love story, all this game needed, but then they ruin it with a far out premise and a concert that, though beautiful, was right out of place.

FFX-2 may have negated everything that its predecessor stood for, but that doesn't mean that it was a bad game. It was beautiful in its own right, and it was a game all of its own. Perhaps the reason people dislike it is because of the female quality and feminine-oriented dialogue. Or maybe it's because it was too easy. Not enough like FFX. Maybe the romance had nothing to do with it at all. Maybe it wasn't bad, but the fans were expecting something different.

Quote:
If anyone has numbers for FFX2 broken down by sex I'd love to see them.

See, that doesn't really matter. In FF6, the cast was largely male, but no one goes crazy over that- because we are conditioned into thinking that the gaming world rests in the male market, and if it so happens to change, then all we're getting is fanservice and a lot of skin. Upon first impression, FF10-2 looked like that, but it was a lot more. It was a simple, fluffy, tragic love story that had a happy ending. We don't need to look any deeper than that.

Quote:
Alright, now onto the female protagonists. Somewhere on that womengamers.com site is a review of all of the different female characters in the games they have played.

I am going to check that site out, because it sounds cool, but I can't help but think how those kinds of female gamers are isolating themselves. Do we have a wwwmalegamers.com? The obvious reason is no, since most fans are male, but if they were to create such a site, there would be an uproar. I dunno, that bugs me. Sort of hypocritical.

Quote:
Whether or not this is directly because of Celes and Terra or indirectly caused by the slightly more female perspective in the game I don't and will never know. Does anyone else notice that Chris Lightfellow combines alot of the traits of Celes and Terra? She's unsure of herself (like Terra), powerful/influential (Celes), Knows little of her past (again...Terra!) and finally, the grace that marks both of their characters.

True, that FF6 may have started that movement for the series, but they slowly faded into the background through most of the game. I realize this was partly, to accomodate the huge cast and letting them all have their 15 minutes of fame, but both characters don't really do anything. Well, Terra, anyway. Her character development is only hinted at (Mobliz) but we're not there to see it. Celes is different, since we see her try to kill herself, and doubt herself and whatnot, and although the dialogue wasn't that great in her scenes (what is she really thinking?) she had the better stage, than Terra ever did. I have to disagree that Chris seems to be just like these two, because those are common character traits that you can gleam anywhere. They're not uncommon, not deep, and not relative to a female character in general. You can easily make comparisons from male characters to another male character. Nothing new there.

Quote:
but I'm sure alot of the females I hear about, Valeria, Nanami, Tengaar, Odessa and so on, owe alot of their development to Terra and Celes

Again, I disagree. None of these characters are taken beyond their bias and template. being fiery and stubburn does not mean that their characters should remind us of Celes and Terra, because it can easily come from Sabin, or Edgar. They have not paved the way for female characters at all, because most of the enigma, and character evolution is in the mind of the fan. That's right, we can say that terra is as tragic, forlorn and innocent as we want, but we are given next to nothing, in FF6 to make us think so. We just come up with that conclusion. They were't the godmothers of female characters in any sort of game, and they never will be. They were just new, something different, but their roles were limited and never expanded on. They also played the tragic, remorseful tender women anyway, but whereas Celes let Locke see that in her, Terra was too frightened too. The likes of Nanami, Valeria, Tengaar, etc, were nothing like that. They were vicious, strong, snarky, and were very aggressive around men. I don't see a connection.

Quote:
nd the female characters in Fighting games aren't mentioned because they're just there to look at*, and aren't given any back story.

Well, not in Mortal Kombat and Tekken, anyway, because those ladies had a lot of history under their belt when introduced, and it kept adding on. I've read them myself.

Quote:
2) Final Fantasy VIII was horrible. Someone with a mind more geared to appreciate romance (like a girl) would definitely appreciate FFVIII more than I would. And if you don't like the direction the series took with the love-heavy storylines of X and X2, then if you read this article, you know who to blame

No it wasn't. The romance only flared up in the third disc. What about everything else? The gameplay? Storyline? Characters? Magic? Did Rinoa really make the game or break it? Maybe you're a little biased because you're arguing in favour of non-girl games, and you feel that FF8 was the one who tried to dummy down and bring the girls in.

Quote:
3) Celes and Terra were the blueprint for the modern Female Protagonist, a simple cross comparison reveals this. Female Protagonists can deal with a variety of issues that Male Pros can't,. but that doesn't mean the game has to be different for them.

Again, disagreed. Being a tragic female character does not link you back to FF6. being half esper and half human though, might. These are familiar, non-exclusive to one character qualities you're talking about. For all you're saying, then, The characters of Tir and Riou were born from the blueprints of Crono Trigger or Ness.

Quote:
The innocence factor. It's a word that when applied to guys is really just another word for their naivety, like How Cloud is 'innocent' to the events of his past in FFVII.

Cloud wasn't naive, he was lying until he honestly believed it.

Quote:
Males and females can feel the same way about the same things. Deciding that female characters are needed purely to delve into an emotional situation in a way a mere man cannot understand is gender profiling at its most insidious. Different view-points are attached to us not by gender they're attached to us by ourselves.

Very much agreed.

Quote:
The :damsel in distress that has to be saved" I can agree on. Most games portray women as that, which I think should change, but that is not protraying a role that only women can portray

But since she's talking about FFX a lot, we can easily say that it defied those laws. Tidus is not Mr Ruggedness, and Yuna is not the damsel in distress. Her FATHER had guardians as well, so we're not looking at male and female roles- we're looking at a tradition within a game, that isn't gender specific.
Jurhael

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Once I heard someone on another message board mention that the female gamers number only about 3%. About half that message board, myself included, called BS. Think about it, many of the fansites are run by females. So, either they're very vocal and visible or there are many more female gamers then people care to admit.

I agree with the 30-40%, but I think it could easily be more. That sounds about right, but when I wrote my fan letter to Square(yes, I wrote one), it was well before Final Fantasy 8 even existed(1995). So, romance didn't even play a part for me, but at that time, Final Fantasy 6 was my favorite RPG, but not just for the romance.

Yes, I did, but it's not my favorite.

I thought it was contrived and done for the sake of doing it. I like romance just fine, but not when it's forced. I like Squall and Rinoa as individuals, but not as a pairing. In fact, I don't think there's any pairings IN FF8 that I care for all that much. How's that for irony?

I think it was a success. The story was interesting and the game itself was very well made. I'm one of the few people that liked the Draw aspect of the battle system.

I never thought that Final Fantasy X-2 was geared toward a female audience. At least not entirely. I mean, I tend to prefer male heroes and my favorite characters are often male. I loved the fact that females had the lead in X-2, but I saw great male characters(Isaaru, Baralai, Nooj) get shafted in favor of lightheartedness and constant GRRL power. I think you could still have GRRRL power with good male characters in the party. As for the Dresspheres, I actually liked that. I like looking at fashion and clothing, but then again, I'm odd like that. I also wasn't bothered by the looks of the girls either. Spira is hot, so unless you're Baralai or Isaaru, you won't be wearing any parkas in high humidity. At least that's how I saw it.

Then again, I try not to be bothered by scantily clad females. Wooopy.

As for female protagonist, I'm sick of the 'damsel in distress' crap, and I'm rather tired of the clinginess that many female characetrs are guilty of. Celes was a Goddess, but Terra was just okay. I did happen to like Aeris(irrepressable, despite being a damsel sort of character), but didn't care for Tifa all that much. I LOVED Chris Lightfellow, but Sarah will never be a favorite character of mine. It's like that with male characters too. Oh, and as for equal, I think there's quite a few that as good, if not better, than male protagonists. They've already been mentioned, so I don't need to add to that. The game does not have to be different just because there's a female lead. Xenosags would have been the same whether Shion was the main character or not (and I LOVE her). Sure, there's still some stereotyping going on, but I think it cuts both ways.

As for romance, I don't mind it, but I just wish that there were more, er, alternative pairings. Both genders have fans that like same sexed pairings, even if it IS a niche group. I'm sure some bones have been thrown(like Albel, and characters in Persona: Innocent Sin), but I'd just like to see something more than the same old, same old. I loved Tidus/Yuna, but I felt like they were just 'the usual' and that gets old pretty quickly. Just so long as there are no contrivances.

I agree with you on the "What did we learn" today part, Hot Ice. I myself tend to play mostly RPGs, but I've played fighter games and even some shooters and survival horror(which has a strong female fanbase). It's never safe to make assumptions either way. Plus, games that are geard only towards girl tend to be for small children rather than teen girls of grown women(like myself). You couldn't convince me to play "Mary Kate and Ashley", but I loved Killer Instict, Soul Blade/Calibur and have been known to try some games beyond the RPG Realm.

Do I believe that there's equality in the gaming industry? Probably not, but I think that's because there's still the assumption that "girls don't play" or they play "girly games(I guess they mean Barbie games) and like damsel-like female characters". Or the assumption that girl gamers are a small minority, which is just not the case given the sheer amount of fansites.

So, that's my 2cents as an adult female, but I'm also very odd, so I can't speak for other female gamers anymore than they can speak for me. [/b]
Drummsta

Cheesier Monsters!

5500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Holy...you guys really elaborate! I'm sorry but I will tell you the truth: I did not read all of what you guys said (I read most!). I don't have that much time but I will try to browse more of it later.

To tell you the truth I've never really known/cared about the statistics of girl gamers and also the hype of different games. I've never played any of the Final Fantasy's except 1 and 2, part of 10, part of 10-2 and a very small part of 7, so I can't really tell my opinion on those girl characters.

But, nevertheless I think that video games have come a long way. I used to get mad because a lot of the girl characters were always wimpy, damsels in distress and the weakest players. It's not that bad anymore. For example, Nina in Death by Degrees, Aya (is that her name?) in [Parasite Eve, that ninja girl in that ninja game...(sorry I'm bad at remembering names...) and millions of others I fail to mention.

I also could really care less if they made games geared towards girls. I would also find that sort of insulting because I don't exactly play video games so I can "virtually put on make up!". Just kidding!!! It really depends on what you mean by "games geared for girls". To me, games are pretty unisex. (Minus those Playboy games and the like...well...actually, I dunno :wink: ) Oh yes, and I've never played a game for it's romance. Romance is a nice touch though!

Of course, I've never gone to a girls house to play video games, ever. I've never even played a video game with another girl. But that's just me. I just so happen to not have girlgamer friends. I do get the odd person that says to me "Wow you play video games! That's so cool!" and I'm going to assume that, that's because I don't look like a gamer, not because I'm a girl (Oh fudge it! I know that's why...). Of course my friends know I am gamier than most

So in the end, I don't really care. I love love love video games almost to the point where it is not good for my health (or bank account). And that's all that really matters.

Thanks for bringing this up though, Ice. It's nice to see what other girl gamers think because it doesn't seem like there are many in this community. (I'm sure there are billions in the FF communities, but whatever...oops that was a stereotype sorry! :) )

P.S. I love Devil May Cry! I even made a thread! It's there somewhere...
and...I may sound like an idiot...but I've never heard of Yoshi's Story...Oh wait yes I have! In Gr 5 or something...from a GUY :shock: :shock: :shock: !!! :P

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the best female character I've ever encountered in a video game would be Koudelka Iasant, from the game Koudelka.

She's composed, she's competant (or some correctly spelled version of that word), she doesn't take crap from anyone, she's tough, and never a damsel in distress (She is, in fact, the main character. If you couldn't tell from the name of the game). She is also, quite frankly, vicious. She threatens to leave or kill her companions multiple times if they don't stop bickering with each other.

But, of course, she wears a short skirt, which means that she'd get a 5 from that site. ;)

Also, I missed this the first time I posted. Yoshi's story is not a "girly" game. Yoshi's story s a very good platformer. So back off the Yoshi. :P

YES. YES IT CAN.

"Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming." -- Myrna Loy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Esra

Guardians of Ilam

0 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I think the best female character I've ever encountered in a video game would be Koudelka Iasant, from the game Koudelka.

She's composed, she's competant (or some correctly spelled version of that word), she doesn't take crap from anyone, she's tough, and never a damsel in distress (She is, in fact, the main character. If you couldn't tell from the name of the game). She is also, quite frankly, vicious. She threatens to leave or kill her companions multiple times if they don't stop bickering with each other.

I don't think I've even heard of that game... What's it about?
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You know, it's funny that you bring up the statistic that there are more women than men in the world. You're absolutely right - and perhaps this is just me - but you know what I've noticed? Women don't get 1/2 the advertising it comes to men. It seems like there's a "woman's market" - make-up, clothing, "touchy-feeling" books/movies/tv shows, some furniture and hallmark cards. Other than that, it doesn't seem like a lot of advertising is towards women...And I kind of wonder why that is. Do men have more discresionary income? Do they tend to make more non-necessity purchases? Or do they just assume women can't be interested in the latest thriller?

As far as FFVIII, I hated the game. I liked the premise of it - a love story - but I thought the execution failed horribly. I haaaaated Squall. HATED. I wanted him OUT of my party, I wanted him OUT of my game, aI certainly did NOT want him ANYWHERE in the game, and I could not fathom what Rinoa saw in him. I find in order to be interested in a game, I have to be interested in the plot...And FFVIII was sorely lacking in that regard, and Squall was so unsympathetic that instead of just ignoring him, I wanted to break his face.

I also think that Romance isn't really the key to attracting female gamers, though it can't hurt. I dunno about anyone else, but the game that really got me hooked on videogames was Mortal Kombat - because that was very fun to play with my friend after school. I liked the plot (hey, I was 7 - and it was cool back then) and it was about as unromantic as stories can get.

I do think that in order to attract female gamers, story must be king. I know if an RPG doesn't have a good story, then I have a hard time getting interested in it - usually the only way is if I grow to like the characters or setting or whatnot. I avoid games where the plot is predictable enough that I know I've seen it before; and I will play a game with horrible gameplay if I'm interested enough in the story (see: Koudelka). But then again, I find I do the same thing in every other medium, so maybe I just prefer story above everything else. :D

As for FFVIII questionarre:

Once, many moons ago. I gave up on it...It's incomplete and I haven't been bored enough to put it back in and finish it. I was just bored to tears in it.

I didn't like it at all. Not because it was a love story (I have no animosity towards the concept), but because I was so boggled by the fact that Rinoa wanted to be with Squall. Squall was such an unlikable character that I just couldn't see her having any attraction to him. I kept waiting for her to dump him for Irvine (<3) or Zell (<3, to a lesser degree) or even Seifer. Alas, near the end of disk 3, it didn't look like it was going to go that way...

I think the love story in FFX worked a lot better. Not because Tidus was necessarily a good character (I didn't like him, either), but because the coupling seemed more realistic. I Could see why Yuna would be attracted to sir Whiny Pants, and why Tidus would be attracted to her. But my favorite portrayls of love stories lurk not in FF, but in Suikoden; it's kept in the background (and would be out of place if put into the foreground), but couples have their moments that are surprisingly touching. (I can't be the only one who went "Awwwwww" to the talk between Freed Y and Yoshino about their (unborn) kid in Suiko II, or Alex's realizing that Hilda was the most important thing, or even the end of Clive's quest...)

And FFX-2 was just a disaster. I HATED the ending - I thought it was poignant that Tidus got sent home at the end of FFX and I didn't want him to be with Yuna in the end, even if I could understand their attraction. I thought it made it very moving that they were't together - not every ending has to be happy. Yuna's story was done - she didn't need to become rootin' tootin' cowgirl - and that was blatant character rape, because the Yuna I knew would never have become Annie Oakley...And that was OK. Rikku ...is Rikku, but has no purpose for being in the story, Paine is just boring - no characterization there, and everyone else is just recycled from FFX. They couldn't even be bothered to give Lulu a new character model. Disgraceful. If they were trying to tailor a game towards girls, they failed...The "gal powahs!" segment of it kind of reminded me of the Spice Girls - a pre-teen version of feminism, but perhaps the truest to the source anymore. (Ie, recognize that you're a girl and that girls can do anything guys can; it doesn't matter what kind of woman you are - pretty pretty, tomboy, or somewhere inbetween; you have the power to do whatever you want, rather than the neu feminism, which is WOMAN ARE A PERSECUTED MINORITY AND WE MUST CALL ATTENTION TO TRIVIAL ISSUES TO GET NEWSTIME RATHER THAN WORK FOR CHANGING ANYTHING - ie "snowman" is a sexist word... :roll:)

And, like Jurheal, I'd like to see more gay/lesbian characters. It would be an interesting change of pace, and slash couples need some damn text sometime. :D

Depends on who you ask. I didn't like it, and it took me a long time to play FFIX because I feared that it would be a lot like FFVIII. It seems to be one of those games you either love or hate, with little inbetween.

----------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------

Games don't need to geared towards women, I think, for women to buy them. Obviously, the fact that sales among women have grown is proof of that. What I do think has lead more girls to play is not a "girl gamers movement" but rather just an increased amount of people who play. When I was a wee lass, videogames were NOT cool for girls - or most guys. It was OK to play Mario or Mortal Kombat but you didn't tell people about it unless they were your bestest of friends, and no one bragged about their killer win streak on MK or how they unlocked reptile or how they got to level 10 on tetris. If you really liked videogames, you were seen as a loser, and definatel a geek. This went double if you were female. And I'm only 20, so that was not so long ago. Videogames have REALLY expanded, though - and they're not just focused on kids anymore. As the videogame generation grew up, the games grew up with them, and now we have tons of games pitched towards adults and kids.

That said, I think some games have better luck courting female gamers than others. For example - I hate Dead or Alive. The entire game makes me uncomforable. I don't feel like I'm playing with female characters - I feel like I'm playing with blow up dolls. Everything in that game is to arouse a man's desire. What's the point in unlocking new outfits? They'll only be more fanservicey than the first. The gameplay is lackluster and I can get it better elsewhere - Tekken or VF for the fighting, Beach Spikers for the volleyball. I'm very uncomfortable with it, because I feel like the game doesn't want me there. So I stopped playing them. Tekken or VF, on the other hand, don't give out that "boys club only" signal to me - in fact, both seem welcoming to females. The female characters are sketched out just as much as the men, and in Tekken, bless'em, for every zoomed in shot of a woman's breast, there's a shot of a man's built chest; fanservice isn't just limited to males. It is probably the only videogame series where one character has an ending with at least 2 characters are in a tight speedo style bathing suit...and neither one is a woman. :D VF's women are equally well made, and though they are pretty, their outfits aren't outlandish (almost all of them wear clothing you could see them fighting in) and their characterization matters about as the male characters' do (ie, not very much). Soul Calibur, too has strong and weak female and male charactrers.

And Tekken, I think, isn't sexist, because even though all the girl characters are good looking - so are the men. (Seriously, Tekken has the yummiest digital men. Kazuya Mishima and Lee Choalan alone....<3) All the female characters are more or less archtypes - ...but so are the men. It's not sexist, it's just kind of breezy and pulpy. Even Heihachi is relatively good looking, considering his age. (Seriously, check out Lee's ending! Tell me YOU wouldn't want your body/your SO's body to look like that at 75 or so.) The only characters who really aren't are Ogre, True Ogre, Kuma, Alex, Roger, and Panda but since none of them are human...

Ditto Soul Calibur, really. For every Cassandra, there's a Seigfried. Girls have won SC's tournament, too - in fact, I think it may be the only fighting game where female competitors have won every single time.

Ditto Virtua Fighter. For every Vanessa, there is an Akira; for every Sarah, a Jacky. Women are about as unattractive as the males are, and have the same story reasons males have.

This, too, could be just me though - I know kagematsuri adores the DoA series, and she's far more of a fighting game connesuir than I.

As far as female protagonists - why are't there more of them? Female mains can be just as interesting as male ones, but for some reason they tend to be ignored...or simply there for fanservice. MORE FEMALES, PLEASE. And when I say more females...I mean more interesting, 3 dimensional females - no damsels in distress or IAMHEWOMANRAWR, please. Thog and Cinderella got old a long time ago.

Honestly, I could say so much more about this, but I've got homework that calls my name. Don't be surprised if I appear later on in the topic, though...:p

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: