Suikoden Utopian and Informational Kriegspiel Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Is true freindship being rendered obsolete?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Is true freindship being rendered obsolete? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This has been on my mind for awhile, mainly when I first heard about myspace and other blog websites where people can make "friends", I have no problem with these by the way, but it kinda got me thinking.

Is friendship being made redundant these days?

Let me get one thing clear. I'm the kinda dude who really takes my friends and friendships seriously. When I call someone my best friend, I really mean it and they have to earn it. I know some people fins that a bit weird and thats OK. But I only really get to talk to my friends online now and I miss the closeness that comes with having a conversation in real life. I mean I could have loads of friends on youtube or myspace but they aren't really friends, hell I don't even know these people.

Ive kinda jabbered on a bit here so I'll stop with this. Do you think friendship is being downgraded by the lack of real interaction? Or do you think friendship is becoming even better as a result of this?

Anyway hope you enjoy this thread. If you can understand what I'm blabbing on about. :D

I just remembered something. Thanks to Hayashi. This isn't a "Agree or Disagree" thread. This is more of a "How does it effect you?" deal, you don't need to get really personal or anything but I was just wondering if you think what I mentioned effects you in anyway at all.

Last edited by Sniper_Zegai on Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Friendship isn't redundant, it may mean nothing (or less) on MySpace and web sites like that, but in real life it remains the same (at least to me).
Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hayashi Ujitsuna wrote:
Friendship isn't redundant, it may mean nothing (or less) on MySpace and web sites like that, but in real life it remains the same (at least to me).

Agreed. I have a myspace, and I have only about 70 friends on there. Mostly people from high school, or other people I have met. If someone isn't a real friend, then they won't be on there. That aside, friendship is so important to me. I've broken my back countless times for friends, and some have done the same for me. My life spiralled out of control for a few years, and I was rock bottom. I had a lot of friends lift me up and out of it, regardless of what it took. Like you, Zegai, friendship is a serious thing for me. I think the lack of real interaction can hurt it for some people, but the dedication me and my close friends have is unshaken, even after I moved. Great topic, btw, I hope this sparks a lot of discussion.

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the concept of friendship always has and always will remain something that means something different to each person. I agree that the whole MySpace/Facebook thing adds a new dimention to the meaning of the word, but I don't think it fundamentally changes the way in which people view the concept.

Real friendship is what it is, no matter what you call it.

After all, it would be pretty dorky to have to add people to your "acquaintances" list on Facebook. O_o

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

HarmonianHiccup wrote:
After all, it would be pretty dorky to have to add people to your "acquaintances" list on Facebook. O_o

Oh man Im really behind, I have no idea what this facebook thing is! O_o

Hungry Drunken TigerMen

569802 Potch
3084 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

friendship is not obsolete nowadays, loyalty to your friends seems to be
Overdose

Space Monkey Punks From Japan

349252 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Friendship is in no way obsolete, I value all my friends where ever they are. My friends online though I do not have physical contact with them I am always there for. My friends here in huddersfield where I live I am here for them, my true friends know who they are as I've told them and they know i'm here and always a ring, text, IM away.

I like all my friends equally though I trust my closest friends who I have known longest the most.

FOREVER X!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
HarmonianHiccup

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sniper_Zegai wrote:
HarmonianHiccup wrote:

Oh man Im really behind, I have no idea what this facebook thing is! O_o

It's something sort of like of MySpace, but it was originally made with college students in mind and you used to have to have either an invite or a school email address to join. It's a pretty secure place--your information tends to be alot safer than on things like MySpace.

As far as friendship is concerned, I have found that as the years go by, I have narrowed my circle of friendship to a few people that I really trust. I've got their backs and they're there for me in a pinch. I've probably narrowed myself too much, actually, but I figure that trusting people enough to let them get close to me is a big deal and not something I'm going to offer lightly. I am very, very loyal, but once my trust is broekn, it's pretty much gone for good. :/

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
Rakuna

Silver Wind

29744 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I feel the title 'friend' has lost it's meaning, if anything. I really don't believe talking to someone a couple times makes them a friend at all. I consider very, very few people friends. Everyone else is an acquaintance. You have to earn friendship, even more so for the title 'best' friend. Most people these days just seem to hand that out to whoever will talk to them. Friend. It's used pretty loosely these days.
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't think that things such as Myspace, Friendster and Facebook render true friendship obsolete, since they are for most purposes a way to keep in contact with your friends and other acquaintances. They aren't things that would diminish the value of true friendship.
On the other hand, I think that the word 'friendship' is too commonly used nowadays. I see people calling each other friends all the time, even though they don't know each other that well and they talk very little to each other. Having more online friends than real life friends though, I can safely say that I happen to like my online friends more than most of my real life friends, perhaps due to sheer proximity. (I don't use any of those Myspace things though; I keep in contact with my friends through messengers and Internet forums).

Has true friendship diminished? Perhaps it has, since people have to fend for themselves now, and I see a lot of cases where a person was betrayed by his/her best friend. Even so though, it is certainly not obsolete in our world.

Nikostratos

629196 Potch
5000 Soldiers
465 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't think Friendship has really diminished very much since past times. There will always be people willing to betry those they are closest too, and there will always be those who are devote as a saint to there friends. As far as making friends over the internet and myspace and such, I think that these things are interesting concepts seeing as you can meet people from different far-off lands, and even those who don't live but 50 miles from you all from your computer screen. I'm a very untrusting person, and I've meet a few amazing people over the net, who I am glad to call my friends. I think though that people are reinventing different uses for the word Friend, Best Friend, and even the word of Love. That is fine as well, because as things move on in the world I think that meanings of words should change as well.
Cloudless Eye

Advance Pawns

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hell yes it's diminished. Just recently I've figured out that true friendship don't mean nuthin' in front of a woman. I mean, it's still there afterwords in guilt and such.. But that ain't true friendship when you can really bring yourself to do somethin' like that to a friend anyways.

I used to think havin' a friendship was a good thing. Keep you away from people who'd screw you over; but it didn't. If this moves people away from friendship; I apoligize. I mean, if you can find a great friend by all means do it. Just be careful who it is I guess.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

when someone tells me they have 200 friends in life, I laugh...or feel souless because its hard for me to have true friends. friends you share food and stuff with, sleep overs, go to the movies, lazy about and play videogames, watch films, snack, hike with or anything.

now a friend is someone you talk to on the bus but you are indiffernt to, now a friend is the guy you got drunk with last tuesday, or the person sitting in front of you in class.

prehaps people just use the word wrongly nowadays.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2327939 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Personally....it feels like...mm....the 'real meaning of friendship' seems to be slowly fading away into a place where no one looks/remembers...
I know it means different things to different people so it's hard for me to word this...
But like...from what I see in day to day life....people generally think quantity over quality in terms of friendship.

I mean...I see people...more and more people everyday "collecting friends" like they're baseball cards.
To me...myspace and other sites similar to it feel the same. To me they look like you go on there and "friend" as many people as you can. The more "friends" you get on there the more like famous you feel I guess?
I know that's not the case for 100% of those friends you friend but still...to a mere outsider looking at someone with 50+ friends listed on those sorts of sites....it sort of makes you wonder... :?

I know what I just said is an extreme outlook on this issue...but just to conclude...
Yes...I feel as though the meaning of "true friendship" might slowly be dissapearing....or at least hiding from public view so-to-speak...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: