Suikoden Uncanny and Infamous Keystone Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Underrated/Overrated Bands
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Underrated/Overrated Bands Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So, pretty self-explanitory. I'm sure our music fans here can think of a plethora of bands to place into this topic. Which bands do you find to be underrated, and which do you find overrated. I'll only list two, as I have one of the bands on my mind 100% right now, and it is blocking further thinking.

Overrated: Bon Jovi.

I know I'll get heat for this. Sure, they had like 2 or 3 good songs in the 80's, but I think the music they are making nowadays is horrid, and it makes me sick. Sure, it's just my opinion, and kudos to a band that keeps on trucking...but I think their music sucks. The few hits they had back in the 80's don't make up for the atrocities of today. Whether they influenced hundreds or not, I'm looking over that fact, and just stating: I don't like them. I'm tired of everyone beign shocked by it.

Underrated: Boston.

Wow, easily in my top 3 for favorite classic rock bands of all time. Pretty high up on favorite bands of all time. When classic rock is mentioned, and the greats are spoken of, I feal like these guys are tossed down into a B or C rank, when they deserve so much more. I often see them put with Journey, Foreigner, etc. No disrespect to those two bands, because I love them, but I think Boston blows them away. According to my ears, I'll put Boston over AC-DC anyway. I just liek how their songs make me feel. I think they had a terriffic sound, and the recent death of their lead singer was a horrible day for music. Don't think they rock? Listen to these:

Foreplay/Longtime
Don't Look Back
Feels Like the First Time
More Than A Feeling
Peace of Mind
Rock & Roll Band
Smokin'
Something About You
Can't Fight this Feeling (You'll recognize it instantly)
Hitch A Ride
Amanda

Those are my personal favorites, and I truly stick by Boston being 100% underrated for the rest of my life probably.

(I searched for a while, and no topics liek this came up. So if someone made one, then they just didn't give it an obvious and fitting title like I did.)

4917 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I can't think of any underrated bands at this moment, so i'll just post an overrated one, I think many of you will agree, and possibly some of you will disagree.

Overrated: Fall Out Boy

I loved their older stuff, I really did. But since they became famous they've been made out to be the gods of modern music in the emo and pop punk scenes. It's bad in Britain, I hear the situation of Fall Out Boy fangirl'ism is absolutely insane over in America. Generally they're being slapped on music magazine headlines [and even some non music based newspapers I believe] not for their music, but for Pete Wentz' [bassist] repeated attempts at suicide, and about the 'naked' pictures of himself getting leaked to the internet.

As I said before, the "Take This To Your Grave" album, if you ever heard it, was by far the best one. This I imagine was before they became the next biggest thing. There's a huge debate as to whether or not their lyrics actually make any sense. While some meaning can be derived from them, they're are MULTIPLE meanings to some of their lines, so that basically you interpret the song as you want to interpret it. Is that clever writing, or just a way to avoid the facts of their nonsensical messages? =P

As for their music, I have to admit they've done well to keep their style fresh with their new albums. But the newest one I feel, is their worst of the three most recent one. People like it because it's Fall Out Boy, and it's cool to like Fall Out Boy.

Maybe these views won't affect many of you as much. I guess it depends on what music scene you're into. But it's painful to watch what we like to call 'fakers' and 'posers' singing along to "This Ain't a Scene, It's An Arms Race" and lip syncing to tunes such as "Grenade Jumper". ¬_¬
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No Eze, I'm going to get flamed for this more than you are. I'm betting on it. Especially with what I'm going to put in Underrated. :P

Overrated: Led Zeppelin, Stairway is such a boring song that I wouldn't even listen to it if not for the decent solo. Seriously, Zeppelin got 2 decent songs in Achilles' Last Stand and Black Dog, and that's it. I hate Immigrant Song.

Just kidding.

My vote goes to, uhm... U2. Newer U2 by the way, U2 Grunge Era was actually pretty good. I haven't gotten into U2 stuff actually, save for about a few songs: New Year's Day, City of Blinding Lights, and Vertigo. I haven't liked anything else from their new stuff, oh and New Year's Day isn't really new, it was in the 80's if I'm not mistaken so that makes it two songs that I've liked from them in recent years.

It's not that they're bad or anything, it's just that I seem to not like most of their stuff except the Grunge ones, so I kind of view them as overrated. Sorry.

Underrated:

And now, for the vote that will shock you all...

MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE.

Okay, just because The Black Parade sucked major ass doesn't mean the band does. While I am not a supporter of Gerard Way's vocals (actually, it sucks.), their older stuff is actually good.

In short, anything before The Black Parade was good. Try listening to Headfirst for Halos, which is from their first album I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love (which is actually pretty decent IMO), and there's some decent songs in [b]Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge[/i] like Thank You for the Venom.

Wait, actually, there was a decent song in Black Parade... Dead! It's just that Welcome to the Black Parade is not good.

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I liked My Chemical Romance's latest album. I thought it had a real classic rock feel to it. In fact, its probably the only album by them that I've liked.

Overrated: Beastie Boys

I've nothing against the Beastie Boys personally, but I still can't comprehend how their music is so popular when it sucks so bad. I can't even listen to them. Their sound is like nails on a chalkboard to my ears--there really isn't much rhythm, and they mostly just yell into the mic. Some people call that good music, but I'm not one of them.

Underrated: Shakira

I know she is relatively popular, but people don't always give her her due. Shakira writes her own songs, and they are usually deeper than your typical popular music fare. She's also got a great singing voice. I hate to see people just write her off as a pop sensation with little talent, because it simply isn't true. Now, I don't really listen to her too often because I tend to gravitate towards folk rock type music, but I do listen to some of her songs on occasion. She's got real talent, and I wish more people would see that. I know you can hardly call her a "band," but I'm picking her anyways.

Eh, these aren't the people/bands that I dislike or like the most, but I do think they fall into the overrated/underrated catagories.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Geddoe

Eyepatches of the Faith

397934 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Zonder, not to say that you're not entitled to your opinion, I just happen to think you're wrong about the Beastie Boys. They were pioneers of their particular sound and style and are generally respected as such. Maybe it's just a style that you aren't able to easily adapt to, and that's why you'd call them overrated.

That being said:

Overrated: Nickelback. Am I wrong for thinking that they're the second coming of Creed? And wasn't Creed bad enough the first time around that we'd want to listen to them again, just under a different name? They just strike me as a generic rock band that has done nothing nor added to the genre in which they play. When I look for new bands to listen to and buy / download, I'm looking for bands that bring something new, different and interesting to the table and I am sorry to say, Nickelback has done none of those things for me.

Underrated: Genesis. Okay, not from the standpoint of a fangirl, but just as someone who appreciates good music, Genesis [before Phil Collins stepped up as lead singer in 1976] is musically speaking, a very underrated band. As an example [and I'm noticing that people are providing very few examples with their entries here], I'll point to the song 'Firth of Fifth', from their 1973 album 'Selling England by the Pound'. "Firth" begins with an exquisitely played piano solo by Tony Banks. The middle instrumental section involves intricate bass work by Mike Rutherford, while it also introduces Peter Gabriel on flute. Phil Collins shows his talent for playing understated drums throughout the song [as opposed to bombasting everything in later years].

However, the most underrated guitarist in rock history, Steve Hackett, steals the show with his haunting [and underrated] guitar solo. Actually, Steve Hackett is the most underrated member of the underrated band.

This is the song, as performed by Phil Collins with Genesis in 1976. Peter Gabriel sang on the original. Steve Hackett does perform the guitar solo - this was before he left the band in 1977.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ksoDr3Ip_w

[Also note that the piano introduction is rarely performed live - it isn't here.]

Anyway, 'Firth of Fifth' is but one example of how underrated Genesis before 1976 was, IMHO. All anyone hears about is Genesis with Phil Collins was their lead singer, but I am of the opinion that Genesis was more of a band that did more for the genre of Progressive Rock before 1976, and it would be hard to ignore their contributions from that time to the genre as a whole.

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have to be an ass and do 3, but I'm trying my hardest to pick a band that's overrated and compare it to a similar, but lesser in popularity band.

Overrated: Rise Against

Before I get chewed up, I don't dislike them; they're a fairly talented band and their lead singer, while having a pretty bad voice is fairly versatile. However, all of their stuff sounds the same. I heard the newest single (the one after Prayer of the Refugee) and I couldn't tell the difference between it and 'Prayer'; same speed, cadence, similar lyrics, I almost threw up. About six songs from their first CD sound exactly the same, too and it dumbfounds me. I don't get how they have such a huge following but can pull that off.

Underrated: The Shins

Similar to RA but less rock and more mellow. They write songs that are easily the most abstract but beautiful lyrically that you can imagine. They also do different things; Their first CD was a little faster, then they slowed it down for their second and then with their third got more experimental with different instruments and timing. They just rock, more so than Rise Against (if you like one you'll probably like the other).

Overrated: Linkin Park

1) Slow guitar intro
2) Guitar distorted
3) Guitar slows back down and that guy who raps starts rapping
4) Chorus with the angry guy
5) Repeat until the song ends in a sonic meltdown

That's pretty much a recipe for any Linkin Park song, and their new song sucks pretty hard. Go pick up some Rage Against the Machine or (early) 311 if you want some real rap-rock.

Underrated: 311

Not really doing much anymore, but as I mentioned their early stuff kicks some ass, and they have all the components of a good band. Their debut (Major Label I believe) is classic and should be required listening to anyone who likes the rap rock persuasion. Whoever did their artwork also did a really good job.

Overrated: The Killers

Another band that can't seem to give me anything new. I agree that some of their shit is catchy (Smile like you mean it, All these things that I've done), but the singles from Sam's Town all sound the same. I really think they should stick to the rock; tracks like Indie Rock & Roll for Me (?) and Mr. Brightside are brilliant, but they're spending their time trying to be the next Joy Division, which they won't ever be and it's just a shame that they're wasting their talent.

Underrated: Modest Mouse

These guys have been rocking out for almost 15 years in SoCal (one of my favorite music scenes ever) and manage to write songs that are catchy, but deep and rythmical at the same time. Bonus: the lead singer has the same name as my school's namesake, so yeah, a pretty good little band, much better than The Killers. They also just got Johnny Marr from The Smiths as a now permanent member...seriously how cool is that?
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Zonder, not to say that you're not entitled to your opinion, I just happen to think you're wrong about the Beastie Boys. They were pioneers of their particular sound and style and are generally respected as such. Maybe it's just a style that you aren't able to easily adapt to, and that's why you'd call them overrated.

I believe the problem is exactly that--it is a style I dislike intensely, and I mentioned why I think so above. The things you mention here are probably true, but because I don't think they are very good, I view them as overrated. To each his own.^^

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Failure_Urn

[SPECTATOR]

673539 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree with a lot of these =) Although I do not think The Black Parade was a bad album from MCR, Anywho.

Underrated: Bright Eyes

It is a shame this band is not better known. I would almost say it is a travisty. Bright Eyes however, is not a band that is going to appeal to the whole public as their more calm sound and acustic style is more of an aquired taste. They can get boring even to me if I do not switch to one of their more energetic songs. Their strong point though is their lyrics. Conor Oberst, the band's frontman is a genious. When I listen to some of their music I compare it to how great artists would chizzel masterpieces out of marbel.

Overrated: Three Days Grace

In all honesty the only reason I have is that all their songs seem to be about the same thing and it got old fast for me. Although they all get stuck in my head.

Overrated: Cute is What we Aim for

They have a lot of catchy lines packed into their songs. Thats about all their talent besides their lead singer's voice which makes their acustic songs enjoyable. They are not anything different from the countless other bands that are talented but have not "made it big."

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This thread is funny because almost all of the 'Underrated' bands are groups I consider hugely popular and a lot of the 'Overrated' bands I've either never heard of before or are generally regarded by everyone I know as terrible.

Seriously how are The Shins and Modest Mouse underrated? Everyone loves The Shins and Modest Mouse. If the frontman for a Satanic Norwegian death metal cult heard The Shins he'd go "Jee wiz, that's a catchy song." Unless it was that annoying filler track on Oh Inverted World. We won't play that one for them.

For the sake of not being entirely off topic I'm going to say Led Zeppelin are overrated - a good band no doubt but they lack the song-writing creativity that people's general regard for them as the greatest band in the universe demands. Cracker in underrated. Two hit wonders from the 90s? pfft. Their entire discography is absolutely stellar.
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shad wrote:
I'm going to say Led Zeppelin are overrated

Agreed.
Vincent Chase

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
This thread is funny because almost all of the 'Underrated' bands are groups I consider hugely popular and a lot of the 'Overrated' bands I've either never heard of before or are generally regarded by everyone I know as terrible.

Seriously how are The Shins and Modest Mouse underrated? Everyone loves The Shins and Modest Mouse. If the frontman for a Satanic Norwegian death metal cult heard The Shins he'd go "Jee wiz, that's a catchy song." Unless it was that annoying filler track on Oh Inverted World. We won't play that one for them.

Our criteria must be different. Even if people know a band sucks, it means they still know the band. I know like 6 people that listen to the Shins and like 13 that listen to Modest Mouse...Among them two who own The Moon & Antarctica and one other who has all of the Shins albums, certainly way less than I know that listen to the Killers and Rise Against. I understood that the purpose of this thread was to say which bands are underrated; if less people listen to the bands, that's one facet of being underrated. It's hard to have a relevant musical conversation with someone when they don't even know the band in question. Where I'm from when the Shins came they played a 2000 capacity club; The Killers played the 18,000 capacity arena. The Shins would blast the Killers off the stage, but they just haven't gotten their due yet, savvy? 'Wincing the Night Away' is actually my favorite album...

And Led Zep lacking songwriting creativity? Aside from the fact that they ripped off a few blues artists I think that they had everything covered and did a good job.

Overrated: The Red Hot Chili Peppers

Again, they're excellent, but the newer stuff is really lacking. The funk is classic, oh god how I miss the funk. Since their 'revival' I've only been impressed once with The Zephyr Song, I just dont like how much they've changed from back in the day. Everybody and their mom listens to them.

Underrated: Incubus

Another good funk band that made it big and was forced to become more accessible, but just about everything has been good. Aqueous Transmission is one of the most ambitious songs ever and Light Grenades kills Stadium Arcadium which is sad since it's one of their worst albums and half as long. Musically they stack up with the Chilies member-for member (plus a DJ), they write better lyrics and I like Brandon's voice more than Anthony Keidis'. Enough people listen to them, but not as many as RHCP.

Overrated: The Eagles

I'm sorry, Joe Walsh kicked some serious ass, but I really only like Hotel California, One of these Nights and I can't tell you why; most of the rest of it is a little too wussy for me.

Underrated: The James Gang

Great place for Joe Walsh to kick even more ass. A lot of it was the scene, but I'd rather listen to rock than country 100% of the time.
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Eh, maybe it's just because I live near Austin and tend to discuss music with people who know what they're talking about, but I only know two or three people who like The Killers and I've never met anyone who listened to Rise Against as far as I am aware. I have no idea what they even sound like. I always thought they were some obscure punk band like Anti-Flag that only had a following if you were really in to that scene. Apparently they're something completely different. Alternatively I could probably list a hundred people who I know like The Shins, and I saw them on what I believe is the biggest stage in Austin - there might be one larger but I've never been there. I have no idea who Fall Out Boy are and I thought Three Days Grace was a Christian pop band like Newsboys, for the record. Eh....
Overdose

Space Monkey Punks From Japan

349252 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Underated: After Forever

The female fronted Dutch metal band, Floor Jansen is an imposing female figure standing at 6 feet tall on stage. Basically this band as a unit are very good yet attention goes to other bands like Evanescence, Nightwish etc.

AF are if anything as good as these more popular bands and their fanbase over the past few years has increased. The band members are all brilliant musicians and Floor has an awesome voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkGEaMin3dI Iron Maiden Cover (The Evil That Men Do)

Overated: Arctic Monkeys

As a brit I personally hate these guys as a band, I cannot stand the repetative and dull music they create. Yet another popular band who really just sound like a bunch of Northerners having a Chat.

Underated: Turisas

Following the the extreme footsteps of fellow countrymen Lordi, these guys have the gimmick of being Finish Painted Barbarians. On the outside you think "Oh dear God" till you listen to the music. If you like metal these guys maybe your cup of tea. The have a mix of Pagan/Black/Folk metal about them. I watched them at Download Festival 2007 and really enjoyed them. Ive never seen a metal band with an Accordian player before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0J4JqDZcDI Battle metal live at Download 2007.

FOREVER X!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Rakuna

Silver Wind

29744 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Overrated: Panic! At The Disco

Yeah, they are fairly unique in their own rights, but they were over-hyped. They really weren't anything special. They sound all right, but they lack any outstanding talent. I ike the fact that each song is different, but... The topic f each song seems to similar. To me, at least. Maybe I'm wrong.

Underrated: Avenged Sevenfold

Yeah, I said they're underrated. I think they are. They have a lot of potential as a band. But they're constantly put down for being a little different from the other 'metal' bands. Maybe they're not, I don't care. The genre shouldn't matter anyway. They're also accused of ripping off artists like Slash and Dimebag. Really? They're fans of them. They respect them. I don't think they're ripping anyone off. It's a shame no one can recognize something good when they see it.
Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Rakuna wrote:

Underrated: Avenged Sevenfold

Yeah, I said they're underrated. I think they are. They have a lot of potential as a band. But they're constantly put down for being a little different from the other 'metal' bands. Maybe they're not, I don't care. The genre shouldn't matter anyway. They're also accused of ripping off artists like Slash and Dimebag. Really? They're fans of them. They respect them. I don't think they're ripping anyone off. It's a shame no one can recognize something good when they see it.

I really think they bring it onto themselves. I think they are talented, but I'm tired of hearing that whiney ass guitar solo in their songs. Their old stuff I really enjoyed though. New stuff....I'm just not feeling it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: