Suikoden Ugly and Illusional Kosher Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Wow. Retail sucks. Share your experiences!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amyral

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Adam wrote:
Oh, yea, if you need a MBA to be a manager in retail, you ARE pathetic.

I never said it was needed, it was just to make a point. The main point was that the number of people looking for the great jobs > the number of great jobs out there. The rest get stuck doing other things. Some never can get the jobs to get out of it, others find they actually enjoy it, some just don't care enough to enter the pissing contests necessary to get out of it.

I've never worked in retail, but when I was in high school I worked at Wendys. It was certainly a shitty job. Anyways, we had a good deal of older managers there while I worked there. We had a high number of them because they didn't often stay in that position for very long. Some were fired for various reasons, some good,(one for doing something that was technically illegal while on the job, one for closing the store several hours early because he didn't want to work late), while one was complete BS (The store was robbed while he was at work, because the back door was propped open for cleaning the floors, he was fired).

However, most left because, after around two years of work, they were often promoted to better jobs. I know a few that had business degrees or were working to get them. One of them was promoted to state manager or some position like that.

For my experience, a few managers were complete dicks, most of them were quite cool, though. The other employees were often bigger dicks, but that pales in comparison to the biggest dicks of all, the customers. Frankly, being treated as such by customers should have made me a lot more bitter than I am now, as most can't fathom the possibility of not getting everything right, every time. Fast food is like factory work only without the consistency. Every order isn't the same, but it's just as tedious and dull as working on an assembly. Yet customers can't seem to grasp the fact that, yes, it's flipping burgers, but that doesn't mean it's never difficult, never tiring, never painful, etc.

Last edited by Amyral on Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
HarmonianHiccup

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'll give you some of my drive, if you'd like. ;)
I've got more than I know what to do with and it's exhausting. :/

THe GS I worked in was in a mall too--and man, mall stores are TERRIBLE when it comes to getting stats. Sales are no problem--mall stores bring in way more money everyday than strip or stand-alone stores (this is not just true for GS--I think it applies across the board) but it's much, much more difficult to sell add-ons because what you mostly get are casual customers who are browsing and impulse buying, rather than a "dedicated" shopper coming in on purpose. THe latter kind usually go for the res and sub thing much more often than the former.
EB Games treated its employees much, MUCH better. I liked working for EB way more than I did GS, but I really had no choice but to either keep worling or quit when the thrice-cursed merger went through...

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
Oppenheimer

Les monsieurs de Narcisse

256470 Potch
0 Soldiers
1865 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

HarmonianHiccup wrote:

At the same time, why should he do something else if he likes it?
For sure. I just didn't think that was possible. I've never heard of someone saying "When I grow up I want to be a manager at a Wendy's and work there for the rest of my life".
Quote:

However, most left because, after around two years of work, they were often promoted to better jobs.
I am very happy that they were eventually able to find the job that suits their abilities. I doubt those people were the type that people have called "dickhead" earlier. They were more skilled than their job.

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

HarmonianHiccup wrote:
I'll give you some of my drive, if you'd like. ;)
I've got more than I know what to do with and it's exhausting. :/

THe GS I worked in was in a mall too--and man, mall stores are TERRIBLE when it comes to getting stats. Sales are no problem--mall stores bring in way more money everyday than strip or stand-alone stores (this is not just true for GS--I think it applies across the board) but it's much, much more difficult to sell add-ons because what you mostly get are casual customers who are browsing and impulse buying, rather than a "dedicated" shopper coming in on purpose. THe latter kind usually go for the res and sub thing much more often than the former.
EB Games treated its employees much, MUCH better. I liked working for EB way more than I did GS, but I really had no choice but to either keep worling or quit when the thrice-cursed merger went through...

Yes, EB was a way better place before it was bought out. And working in a mall, our sales numbers were constantly top 3 in the district. We kicked the crap out of last years sales consistently. But with all that foot traffic, and people visiting because it's like a landmark mall, getting reserves is hard. They would just say "Nah, I'll reserve it at my store. I'm visiting." So frustrating. If you work at an outlet store, not in a mall, you don't get that. If people are in your store, chances are that's the store they coem to. The company didn't want to hear that though. And who cares about reserves?

"It guarantees business"

Hey asshole, if the sun rises, you can guarantee people will come buy games. Reserves are like the equivelant of a promise ring or something. It's just ridiculous. Unless it's gonna be a huge selling game, it isn't worth the time.

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There have been a few cases, though (well, come to think of it, MORE than a few at my store) where we really didn't get enough of something, or we didn't get something at all because there were few/no reserves.
I always encouraged my RGP customers to reserve what they wanted because things like Suikoden and Disgaia, once past the initial shipment, would probably be scarce. THat was the only way I could really get people to care about reserves...

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
Amyral

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oppenheimer wrote:
I am very happy that they were eventually able to find the job that suits their abilities. I doubt those people were the type that people have called "dickhead" earlier. They were more skilled than their job.

A few in particular were complete dickheads, and a few weren't terribly good at their work either, they were promoted because there is high turnover and you get people for higher positions from the stock of store managers and the like. Retail, aside from at the very top, typically promotes upwards from within, hence why you see people stick it out in the lower managerial positions.

Not every job, even in retail, is the same. The thread goes in depth to tell horror stories, but yeah, that was the purpose of the thread. It doesn't mean every job with every retail company is a complete shit-fest.
Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

HarmonianHiccup wrote:
There have been a few cases, though (well, come to think of it, MORE than a few at my store) where we really didn't get enough of something, or we didn't get something at all because there were few/no reserves.
I always encouraged my RGP customers to reserve what they wanted because things like Suikoden and Disgaia, once past the initial shipment, would probably be scarce. THat was the only way I could really get people to care about reserves...

Yeah, I only told people to reserve a certain game if it was needed. I feel they really expected you to lie to cutomers. I sat in on enough phone conferences to know that they wanted us to, but wouldn't come out and say it in those words. I refused to, and was good to my customers. Hell, I got tipped once, by a guy who used to work for the company. He stayed and talked with me for like an hour on a slow monday morning, and it was after I got robbed, so I was real iffy about staying. I pulled soem strings to get him mor emoney for his trade ins, because the system wanted to give him $1 for a whole season of Yu Gi Oh. He gave me a $5 tip and said I was the best employee he's met yet. Stuff like that will really make your day, but it will rarely ever happen. I have had like...10+ customers shake my hand though, that always makes you feel nice.

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, despite my griping, I really did have quite a few positive experiences. When a customer was being really polite and patient, I'd bend over backwards for them to get them what they wanted. There were some truly nice people among the jerks, and it wouldn't be fair of me to complain about the others without mentioning the nice people. They really made the job worth it--I felt like I was actually doing a little bit of good by making peoples' days brighter as best I could.

My manager was amazing. My third key was one of the happiest people I've ever met and my other third key was one of the hardest workers I've ever met--even most of my part-timers were really great people. I never would have survived last Christmas without them!

All in all, I'm really glad I'm out of the retail scene, though. Once I was out of college and had a better day schedule I dropped it like the proverbial hot rock...

Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

HarmonianHiccup wrote:

My manager was amazing. My third key was one of the happiest people I've ever met and my other third key was one of the hardest workers I've ever met--even most of my part-timers were really great people. I never would have survived last Christmas without them!

Ha, I remember my first Black Friday. I always did my work, but it was known that I was the laziest, so everyone thought I'd snap that day. We were all kinda lazy, but we got stuff done. My manager and I opened, and we were sitting in the store, just staring at the giant crowd of people outside our gate. I had on my Wii snow beanie, and I thought I was gonna get attacked when getting through the crowd to go in. People were like "How much for your hat!??!"

We just sat there and stared, I was so scared. Especially because we had Wii's and PS3's for sale. But the day went okay. No one gave us much trouble. My managers first customer took like a half hour, cause they were annoying. By the end of the day, I had a little under 200 transactions, which is still our store record. I wasn't even on register the whole time. I never want to do that again though :)

Lords of Foolishness

207476 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oppenheimer wrote:
Adam wrote:
Heh, not everyday here that I get called pathetic, but whatever. Though I suppose that since I am just about to turn 20 this doesn't include me? Yes? No?

You're planning on staying a manager of a retail store when you're 50 and retiring there? You want to spend your whole life having teenagers as your employees and getting paid little more than them? I must say I'm shocked. You say you're motivated and like to do the work, why not try for a trade then? I didn't know there were people who enjoyed retail and wanted to spend the rest of their life doing it. As this thread demonstrates it's not a very nice job, you don't get treated well by your managers or your customers. Wouldn't you want another job where you get more respect? There are plenty of jobs that you actually do a physical labour job that are not like retail that you might get more respect working in (and more money for that matter).

Okay, here is a couple facts.

How much the average person below me makes a year:

10-15k a year.
Me at this moment: 25k
Me in a few months after I get done with the rest of the training and other required things that are retarded but they make you go through: 45k

Oh, yeah, there is a bit of a difference between what I and the employees under me get paid. Retail can be considered a trade, and yes, I do enjoy working in retail. Go figure. If I decide that hey, this is what I want to do the rest of my life, then shit, I'll go get myself a MBA and move on up the coporate ladder, using the experiences I have had to bring a more realistic viewpoint to the corporate assholes we all know and love.

If you have a problem with me doing something I like and getting paid decently for it, oh well. The other career I would enjoy: Broadcasting. What is the average wage in that field: 45k

Familiar? Settle down there skippy, and please don't try to label me pathetic....it bruises my overextended ego. Gotta be able to face the day ya know, since I'm balding, going through a midlife crisis, and taking it out on the 20 somethings that work under- wait, nvm, I'm only 20.
HarmonianHiccup

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Adam wrote:

Oh, yeah, there is a bit of a difference between what I and the employees under me get paid. Retail can be considered a trade, and yes, I do enjoy working in retail. Go figure. If I decide that hey, this is what I want to do the rest of my life, then shit, I'll go get myself a MBA and move on up the coporate ladder, using the experiences I have had to bring a more realistic viewpoint to the corporate assholes we all know and love.

THere need to be more people higher-up who understand. Good on you!

Black friday last year was unbelievable. THe Wii and PS3 thing nearly did us in, but on top of that we had disaster after disaster--people stealing stuff right and left, kids pulling shelves off the wall, pregnant ladies fainting...I kid you not! It seriously traumatized me and I had pretty much seen everything there is to see in that job by then. O_o
I was on the register the ENTIRE TIME. Over eight hours and no breaks, with the flu to boot. Don't ask me how I got through it.

At my current job I don't even think we're open the day after Thanksgiving.
Now that I',m not in retail, I intend to have my shopping done by mid-october and barricade myself in my house all December. NO MALLS.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: