Suikoden Urgent and Illusional Kriegspiel Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Tactical RPG Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, for everyone who mentioned Shining Force...

YES!

Shining Force II is one of my favourite games ever! I didn't mention it in my original post as I was focusing on PlayStation games, but I can safely say that Shining Force II ranks up there as one of the great games of all time. It had a fantastic story, old-fashioned, but not cliched. As well as a great system and so many different characters, all of them quirky and fun.

And the Oddeye/Oddler saga still makes me sad on occassion as the game goes through it.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Drizzt

Rangers Of Mielikki

250081 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nice replies everyone, it is good because there have been several TRPG's mentioned here that I have neither heard of before nor played so it gives me an idea to look into them. Even if it is an old strategy game on Sega Megadrive with dated graphics for obvious reasons, it would never bother me. As I mentioned before about my hopes for a possible Vandal Hearts 3 on PS2 (or 4 if 3 is made on the DS) I still hope Konami goes through with it one day. There has been talk about the DS Vandal Hearts for quite some time now, but yet not a speck of information has been heard of in Japan so we are left guessing and speculating.

I would rather that this DS VH was say a remake of the first Vandal Hearts with improved graphics and extra features and so on, throw in a few more missions and maybe some included sidequests. But either way it does not really matter, I just hope this game reminds everyone how great the first two Vandal Hearts were, and that the sales and popularity of the series grows and public demand for a PS2 sequel seeps into Konami. I mean since all the Nippon Ichi TRPG's sold so well and were lacking in some areas (hey I thought they were still great) then such an old favorite that is VH would have no trouble selling millions of copies of a PS2 Vandal Hearts 3. I seriously think my idea is not too doubtful and in several months we may hear more news about it. Till then...
Rincewind

Architect of the Pass - Phoenix Regiment

1500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My current fave is Disgaea. You can make your characters really powerful, but it takes a lot of time to do so as well. I love the Prinnies too. It cracks me up cause one of my friend's random Prinnies got named Wesker, and it makes me think of Resident Evil.
Sierra Mikain

Blue Moon

19500 Potch
0 Soldiers
666 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Rincewind wrote:

It cracks me up cause one of my friend's random Prinnies got named Wesker, and it makes me think of Resident Evil.

I haven't had any weird prinny names, but I have had some weird names for the enemies:

-There was a ghoul named Prozac... which is an antidepressant.
-There was a warrior named Betty and it was a guy.
-I've also had COUNTLESS times the characters received random names that made me think of other games. Although, I've never seen Wesker, I have seen a few that were also names from final fantasy.
-Theres another one that I'm forgetting...

Althought I'm sure the Betty one wasn't hilarious for anyone that hasn't seen "Kung Pow".

1500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When I can get a god prinnie, I am naming him Wesker. If only I could give him sunglasses and make his eyes grown red.
Anamanaguchi

1109 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nippon Ichi games are way overrated these days. I did like Disgaea a lot though. The rest blew ass. Atlus is developing some very cool looking new tactics games... they look beautiful. I noticed a lot of people ditched Growlanser..
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

UberYuber wrote:
Althought I'm sure the Betty one wasn't hilarious for anyone that hasn't seen "Kung Pow".

Yes but it made those of us who have seen it laugh momentarily...I am a magician you are wearing black! Now you are wearing red!

Eh, off topic, apologies.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Rincewind

1500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was playing today and saw a Zombie named Alucard. I also made a Scout, and the random name it gave him was Pancho.
Drizzt

Rangers Of Mielikki

250081 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh yes and if anyone here suddenly hears of some new TRPG's on any platform, please speak up about them and what you may know, and provide a link if possible. Some new games that are being worked on may be so low under the radar that we may not even know about them until they are released. It is always good to be well informed about new RPG's of any form...

And after speaking of the Shining Force series, has anyone played the newest installment Shining Tears? I know it is not a TRPG and employs a more Zelda-esque battle system, but it is good to know that the series continues on the PS2.
Anamanaguchi

1109 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

here is an AMAZING looking game...
http://ps2.ign.com/objects/700/700825.html?ui=gamefinder
Drizzt

Rangers Of Mielikki

250081 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah Stella Deus: The Gate of Eternity does look quite great, cheers for the link. I remember hearing about this game a while ago though I must have forgot about it. It is great that is should be released in the US in early May. Upon looking into this game via your link I noticed some other good games that easily deserve a mention hear:

Atelier Iris ~Eternal Mana: http://ps2.ign.com/objects/687/687389.html?ui=cb_up_04
Atelier looks to be a pretty cool game as well with nice and basic graphics which always befit a game of this genre. This game is also supposed to come out in the US sometime in May as well as Stella, so it would seem we are receiving a plentiful amount of TRPG's in this recent shower of popularity of these type of games. And yes a lot of praise and thanks are due to Nippon Ichi for releasing La Pucelle, Disgaea and Phantom Brave which evidently begun the 'race to release great Strategy RPG's.

Makai Kingdom: Chronicles of the Sacred Tome: http://ps2.ign.com/objects/714/714345.html?ui=cb_up_05

Known as Phantom Kingdom in Japan, and another what seems to be great installment from Nippon Ichi. I talked about this game quite a while ago in another thread but now much more details are known. The game simply looks great, as did all the other SRPG's released by Nippon Ichi IMO. I just can never be sick of any strategy game in any form, and I am so glad they are all coming in a nice flow.

Fire Emblem: Souen no Kiseki: http://cube.ign.com/objects/001/001982.html?ui=cb_up_01

At last another Fire Emblem installment on a game console. It has been a while since its last release on the SNES. And the graphics for this game look pretty great, but unfortunately it is on the Gamecube...I only say this is unfortunate because it only further forces me to one day purchase one! But at least now they are VERY cheap, but I would have nowhere to put one! I guess my PS1, PS2 and XBOX will have a new friend to play with soon enough... I can't wait to see this GCN Fire Emblem's stunning looking gameplay graphics in action.

It seriously is very nice to know how far the TRPG industry has come and advanced these days, once again providing us with a nice stream of games...with only much more to come in the future. I think they are quite over due, I mean besides the three Nippon Ichi games, since then the most recent strategy RPG I had purchased was Saiyuki: Journey West (great game) for PS1 a long time ago. But still, no matter how many great games of this genre are released, my most wanted and to-die-for TRPG is of course Vandal Hearts 3! Please Konami make this game!
Rincewind

1500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Does anyone know if transmigrating over and over in disgaea actually raises the power of your character?
Kohaku

Red Veil

309182 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My favorite Tactical RPG is Ogre Battle and Tactics Ogre.
Ogre battle is the one before tactics Ogre, an old yet very beautiful SNES tactical RPG. If you have played it, you'll realize how the foundation of the next game were made. You can find some character from Ogre Battle in Tactics Ogre, like Canopus and Deneb, and also the sword Brunhild...If I have to compare it, Tactics Ogre won in the storyline (you can also choose your own plot in OB), but Ogre battle won in term of gameplay. More classes, like werewolf and vampire, and samurai, also the nice day/night system, which is lost in Tactics Ogre.

I also really like both Vandal Hearts. Both have rough storyline, but VH 1 is too short. I remember finished playing it for 12 hours (wihout being Vandalier tho). You can see the equipment change in VH2, which make it a lot more plus for the game.

Among all Nippon Ichi's game, the one I like best is La Pucelle. The story is nice, not as wickedly funny as Disgaea, but more touching. The gameplay of the three is basically the same, and I enjoy them all, dood.

How about Front Mission. I'm a SNES veteran gamer, but sadly I haven't played the old FM 1 and 2. The later two proves themselves to be the best mecha tactical RPG IMO, well, at least better than Vanguard bandits.

1109 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Front Missions's 1 & 2 are very fun. I have translations. Tactics Ogre on the GameBoy Advance is a very good game too. Very challenging. Anyone play Hoshigami? Very challenging game.
Sierra Mikain

Blue Moon

19500 Potch
0 Soldiers
666 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kohaku wrote:

How about Front Mission. I'm a SNES veteran gamer, but sadly I haven't played the old FM 1 and 2. The later two proves themselves to be the best mecha tactical RPG IMO, well, at least better than Vanguard bandits.

Well there really isn't any competition in that department.. is there?? (mech tactical)

I actualy 'blindly' bought Front Mission 4 based on the fact that I just liked tactical games. By 'blindly' I mean I've never played FM 1,2 or 3 and I hadn't heard any reviews on 4. I had heard a lot about Front Mission 3 and how it is on a lot of people's top lists. It's also pretty darn hard to find mind you so 4 was my substitute.

Front Mission 4 is garbage if you ask me. The game never really takes off and although you get to customize your mechs, the weight restrictions and weapons are ... well restricting. You MUST do side battles in the tutorials just to get stronger for your next upcoming battles, otherwise, you will be wiped out. It's not a question of skill. If you can't afford the best parts, you better go fight in the tutorial until you can. This is INCREDIBLY important for Darrel's story and not as much for Elsa's where I completely rocked the enemy's world.
The story line is VERY weak and not entertaining at all and thus the game has nearly no replay value. While the story has two main characters that come from different parts of the world, there is only one story that hops back and forth between them. Eventually they get tied together, but not in a good way... not at all the way you'd expect.
The characters have no real development and if those stupid heads continue to pop up I'm not going to play anymore.. ok I did stop playing... about 4 days after I started. I did, however, beat it in that amount of time.

I'd love to share more with you guys, but I don't want to spoil anything for people that haven't played it. If you're one of those people who are lucky enough to have never heard of this game, don't play it now. The game was at 45 dollars when it was released here in the US. After a VERY SHORT period of time, it was down to 29.99. I've never seen a game drop in price like that so fast. There's a reason for it... avoid, avoid, avoid!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: