Suikoden United and Irenic Knowledge Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

NFL Star indicted for dogfighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A smart move by the league. It isn't a lifetime ban, and there isn't even any set timetable on the suspension. Roger Goodell simply suspended him until the concusion of Vick's legal proceedings, at which point he will make a further decision on what to do with him.

Atlanta will probably go after his money now, and then release him outright.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Sierra Mikain

Blue Moon

19500 Potch
0 Soldiers
666 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You can argue morals on the death of animals all you want ladies. The truth of the matter is hunting isn't illegal and dogfighting is. I might not like certain laws, but if I break one I'm certainly not going to talk about similar activities that are legal when I already knew the consequences of my actions.

Lest we forget the reasons dogfighting is illegal: (read this at your own gag risk of course)

1. They don't exactly bring the dog up on satin pillows and eating filet minon from silver dog dishes. They beat the living hell out of the dogs with more than just handslaps and fists. These dogs are subjected to torture for their entire lives. The rule on raising dogs are the more a dog suffers in his upbringing, the tougher he becomes. If he doesn't become tough he's either killed or used as a bait animal. A bait animal is sorta like a good fighting dog's punching bag and is beaten to a pulp by said dogs until it's dead.

2. Dogs that lose aren't set aside as strays or give to shelters (though most of them are trained to be docile to other humans) they are electrocuted, hanged, or drown. All good ways to die! That doesn't just go for the losers though either. Most of the time, when someone goes hunting they don't do sadistic things to finish off the animal. I don't remember seeing anyone shoot a deer and then finish him off by connecting jumper cables to the sucker's nipples.

3. The people who train these dogs profit from their deaths.

So the next time you want to compare something like dogfighting to something like hunting (which, by the way, is necessary for the survival of many species like Deer in my state) I hope you get in a car accident and spend the night in a hospital wondering what god is trying to tell you.

Wise up.

The NFL is a private organization. It's members are not employees and thus if they have a negative effect on the reputation of the league they should banned for life without question. ^_^ Because I beg to ask this question, why not ban him for life? Initially the answer that comes to mind is money, but it's obvious Michael Vick will never help the NFL turn a profit again.

Space Monkey Punks From Japan

349252 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In no way could you compare Dog fights to Hunting Sierra summed up the meat of what happens to the dogs i'm pretty sur eits true after seeing programmes about animal cruelty and how that is in dog fighting. Hunting is a nessesary activity in some places where animals become a pest and nessesary. I in no way support hunting but cannot deny that in situations where it is controlled it will benefit people such as farmers here in the UK.

FOREVER X!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

haha owned
Yohn

Confused Chaquita Banana Minions

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

HAHA! Owned indeed! That rocks socks, Shad. :D

"And as the lion slaughters man, I am the wolf and you're the lamb." ~Blind Guardian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Geddoe

Eyepatches of the Faith

397934 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I might be a little picky with this, but I noticed that during Mike Vick's 1130 news conference, he said something about 'finding Jesus'.

Not to snark too much here, but it kills me when people get busted doing some of the wrongest things, and then suddenly, 'Whoamg! Buddy Jesus! Where you been? I've been trying to find you!'

But yeah. People 'finding' Jesus like Jesus suddenly decided to go on summer vacation in the mountains kinda perturbs me.

Outside of that, yes, he did apologize in his news conference, but I'm kinda wondering where this train of thought that 'It's wrong', etc etc was during the whole process - why he didn't stop before?

Also: the busloads of people from local churches supporting Vick. Why does it always seem that in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, a fair number of people will still stand by their man and shout his innocence to the rooftops?

I know I'm kinda bringing a lot to the conversation, but I'm kinda writing this down as I'm watching First Take on ESPN2 and they're covering a lot of this live.

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, it's not Zoidberg Jesus he has found so his sudden epiphany is somewhat suspect indeed. As for the busload of people who came by to support Vick's innocence I think this is where the so-called race card gets pulled out for the wrong reason. I'm going to assume that a majority of this supporters think Michael Vick was railroaded by the THE MAN. I wouldn't be surprised if they think he was set-up right from the beginning.

It doesn't matter that the evidence and witnesses lined up against Vick would've convicted even if he was quite the white man. It doesn't register to them that his judgement has been quite questionable for the past couple of years. He has been documented for giving a woman genital herpes and was secretly getting himself treatments for the ailment under the alias "Ron Mexico", flipped off his own fans after being booed for a bad game, and the to top it off this past off-season he was detained by airport security for trying to bring a water bottle on a plane with a false bottom.

Vick wasn't a criminal before the dogfighting came to light. What he was could be categorized as untapped potential balanced with being the most overrated player in the league in terms of such potential. Now, he's joined the big time and people shouldn't feel sorry for him even if he has become the new posterboy for the NFL of what not to turn out as for incoming rookies.

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Well, it's not Zoidberg Jesus he has found so his sudden epiphany is somewhat suspect indeed. As for the busload of people who came by to support Vick's innocence I think this is where the so-called race card gets pulled out for the wrong reason. I'm going to assume that a majority of this supporters think Michael Vick was railroaded by the THE MAN. I wouldn't be surprised if they think he was set-up right from the beginning.

LOL. Of course his finding of Jesus is suspect, but how many criminals do not bring up Jesus or some sort of religious motif when they have been found guilty? This should not be surprising to anyone.

I think this statement is bringing a little too much into things and verges on going out of context. Yes, race does have an issue, but to say this is pulling the race card just because they are showing their support for him is being a little extreme. Of course, a church would not be involved if he wasn't black, but would he still have sympathizers? Of course he would.

And I am curious as to the reason for the assumption that all of the people there thought he was rail roaded by the "man". Of course, there are instances where an African American athlete has been railroaded by the man..several in fact. But, this is certainly not one of those instances and nobody thinks he got rail roaded or at least no one I have spoken to and it should be no surprise that groups of people choose to support their own.

I can't even count how many people came up to me and told me that people are getting too worked up over a little statement and Imus meant it as a joke. I wouldn't accuse them of making those statements because they were white, but because they support Imus. The simple reason for that fact is that not all white people supported Imus and not all black people support Vick. I was outside of NBC doing the whole Imus thing and there was nothing but white people protesting to have Imus fired. So, the assumption about it being all about race seems a little unfounded to me and definitely the assumption that he was rail roaded seems to be a bit insulting because it sort of implies that if they were knowledgeable and rational people they would not support him, but I am fairly certain that that is not the case and they have followed the case and know the evidence against him. Of course, I may just be reading too much into that statement.

Vick did wrong and he will serve his punishment. Why should he not be supported if they choose to do so? And why does anyone who comes to support him automatically have to be accused of doing so just because they are black? If a church wants to support him and a community wants to do so, why can't they do so just because they believe it is worth doing so and that is what they think is the right thing to do?

Quote:

It doesn't matter that the evidence and witnesses lined up against Vick would've convicted even if he was quite the white man. It doesn't register to them that his judgement has been quite questionable for the past couple of years. He has been documented for giving a woman genital herpes and was secretly getting himself treatments for the ailment under the alias "Ron Mexico", flipped off his own fans after being booed for a bad game, and the to top it off this past off-season he was detained by airport security for trying to bring a water bottle on a plane with a false bottom.

And whether he has done questionable things in the past or not is irrelevant to the fact that people will support their own.

Quote:

So the next time you want to compare something like dogfighting to something like hunting (which, by the way, is necessary for the survival of many species like Deer in my state) I hope you get in a car accident and spend the night in a hospital wondering what god is trying to tell you.

Wise up.

So, you want a person to get in an accident that causes them to be laid up in a hospital simply because they see a comparison with dog fighting to hunting?? Ok

Well, like I said the analogy is still there. We are not discussing what is necessary, we are talking about the similarity between both aspects as a sport. Hunting, as a sport, is about the thrill of the kill and outsmarting or out muscling the animal you are trying to slaughter. Hmm, similarly, this is the purpose of dog fighting where the trainers have the dogs fight and kill each other for the thrill of it.

Yes, dog fighting is a great deal more cruel and the only benefit to it is the thrill of watching the animals kill themselves, but ironically the same thrill is experienced by hunting,a s a sport that is. Now, if you want to go into what is necessary, how it is carried out and everything else then of course there are glaring differences. But, the one thing that cannot be denied is that hunting for sport is hunting to kill or mame an animal for your own personal enjoyment. So, to say that the argument that there is a similarity to hunting, notice the emphasis on the word "a", is not unfounded. To ignore that is unwise.

KOOLUK SUPPORTS TINTO MINERS
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually, if you read the newspapers for Atlanta, Georgia and just Georgia papers in general there is a feeling that Vick is being singled out for being black. How they seem to think dogfighting is being equated as a blacks-only activity. This despite the fact that there's as much whites who do illegal dogfighting events. Dogfighting in the West Coast is actually dominated by White Supremascist groups.

While there's a good portion of the black community who don't support and condone what Vick has done, they still think that the government has put undue effort in trying to convict Michael Vick. Again, this being despite the fact that most of the evidence found and testimony received are from Vick's own property and people he associated and even financially supported in such activities.

The race card is being used by some groups because they think it's a way to once again point out the differences between the justice system for whites and those for blacks. I think its less to do with white/black issue and more with rich/poor. If Vick wasn't a rich athlete he wouldn't have gotten the type of plea deal he got or the support he's getting now from those supporters touting his innocence. I don't see their supporters trying to put Vick's co-conspirators in a redeeming light.

Eyepatches of the Faith

397934 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tullaryx wrote:
I don't see their supporters trying to put Vick's co-conspirators in a redeeming light.

I didn't see busloads of support for the three guys that were his co-conspirators, either. If they're all guilty of the same things, don't you think they'd all get the same measure of support? No, I guess not, considering none of those three guys could help score the Falcons touchdowns this year, or bring prestige to the city - they were just three idiots caught up by Vick's power, prestige, and privilege. To the media, to the 'supporters', and to the fans, the other three guys are throwaway and Vick isn't.

I honestly don't see race as an issue here - I do, however, see money as an issue. Michael Vick is high-profile and big money and 60% of the time when we see people in a position of power or influence or notoriety, when they stumble, they stumble big time and the prosecution seeks to make examples of them. This case really isn't much different - anyone that gets busted for dogfighting after this will have to suffer stricter penalties because this case has received so much attention. The small time guys that were busted here a few weeks back would have barely gotten a mention were it not for Michael Vick.

Urn wrote:
Vick did wrong and he will serve his punishment. Why should he not be supported if they choose to do so?

He should be supported because he's trying to get his life back on straight, not because there was some sort of plot to bring a prominent Black man down. A lot of 'support' groups don't seem to know the difference between the two.

Blue Moon

19500 Potch
0 Soldiers
666 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Urn wrote:

So, you want a person to get in an accident that causes them to be laid up in a hospital simply because they see a comparison with dog fighting to hunting?? Ok

You have no sense of humor.

Quote:

But, the one thing that cannot be denied is that hunting for sport is hunting to kill or mame an animal for your own personal enjoyment. So, to say that the argument that there is a similarity to hunting, notice the emphasis on the word "a", is not unfounded. To ignore that is unwise.

This is like comparing the simliarities of pre-marital sex and rape. You might think they're both immoral, but one of them is illegal and for good reason. I'm not going to condemn a soldier for killing another in a war, but I'm going to condemn the same guy for doing sadistic things to the same man for his entire life until he gets bored of him and then kills him by setting him on fire. Sure they have 'A' smilarity, but let's not act like that's a valid argument... it would be unwise.

Like a wise man once said:

Quote:

The truth of the matter is hunting isn't illegal and dogfighting is. I might not like certain laws, but if I break one I'm certainly not going to talk about similar activities that are legal when I already knew the consequences of my actions.

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Geddoe wrote:

Also: the busloads of people from local churches supporting Vick. Why does it always seem that in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, a fair number of people will still stand by their man and shout his innocence to the rooftops?

Just like with Michael Jackson and his legal woes.

Simply put, people have heroes, they won't believe their heroes did anything wrong, or will endlessly try to justify it. I believe we saw and still see that exact same thing with Chris Benoit. We know what happened, but there are a significant number of fans who want to believe he will only be remembered for his profession or who believe that he is either still innocent or can't be held responsible for his actions for some reason.

Take any figure who is idolized by people, or even someone that people just want to believe is innocent, and they'll come out in droves to declare devotion, regardless of how clear it is that they are wrong.

And I see absolutely no hypocrisy whatsoever in the media covering when a public figure did something illegal and a societal taboo and not covering it when a public figure did something legal and, for the most part, accepted by society. It's not their job to question the similarities between what is legal and what isn't, it's the media's job to report what they deem newsworthy. People performing a common activity that is neither breaking the law and nor committing a societal taboo isn't newsworthy. You can point out the similarities fine, but there's a difference.
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have a great sense of humor. That statement was a little on the extreme side if you were looking for humor.

This comparison is not similar to pre-marital sex and rape. There are no similarities between pre-marital sex and rape aside from sex. But, with hunting and dog fighting they both involve the killing of an animal for sport and they both involve some kind of benefit for the death of that animal (whether you agree with the benefits or not). The analogy exists and it is a valid argument, not a winning argument of course, but a valid one nonetheless if you are simply arguing that they are similar in a way, which is why I simply stated that I can understand where the individuals were coming from when they brought it up.

Aside from that, you admit the similarity and if a similarity exist then it is valid to argue that they share a similarity, which is all I was pointing out. I am not arguing whether dog fighting is illegal or not, since it is quite obvious that it is illegal. But, just because one act is illegal and one is legal does not mean that an argument about their similitaries shouldn't or can't be made, irregardless of what a wise man once said. If we never argued that separate but equal means not equal then where would the United States be today?

And who said anything about a plot bringing a black man down?? I just don't get why we are assuming these group of people supporting Vick are just doing it because they believe he is being oppressed by the man or just because they believe he is the victim of some elaborate conspiracy? That is my only gripe with the statements made. You are assuming that they would not support him for any other reason than them being blind to the truth and complete idiots, which I think is simply not the truth. They don't have to believe he is innocent or anything, they can simply support him because that is what they chose to do. It doesn't have to have anything to do with the fact that he is black.

KOOLUK SUPPORTS TINTO MINERS
Sierra Mikain

Blue Moon

19500 Potch
0 Soldiers
666 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The joke was crass, but I'm sure you'll get over it. Trust me, it wasn't meant to be as mean as you took it. ^_^

I read your second post from earlier over again and you said a few things that make me believe you have some bad information about dog fighting rings. I explained earlier the number of dogs that die that never fight that are used as bait animals. They let a training dog basically kill poodles and other dogs that are not fighting trained just to make sure it's aggressive against other dogs. It's not a one time thing either. Think about it as a steady diet of non fighting dogs that are killed regularly.

Dogs that fight are not just mistreated when they fight either. You're talking about the WORST torture imaginable for the dog's entire life. Like I said, the general theory is that the worse you beat the crap out of the dog, the better fighter he will be. And it's not like "no poochie no bone today." It's more like "ok poochie do you want the wrench to the face or I can kick you in the head for a couple hours?" These aren't just angry growling dogs. These are vicious wild animals made that way by torture.

I explained a lot of that in my first post, but I think some of the comparisons you make betweeen dogfighting and hunting/boxing were off base. Perhaps I'm wrong in that. If you don't understand the severe mistreatment of the animals that just goes into preparation, and the amount of animals that have to die simply to make one fighting dog, then it's possible none of this makes sense.

Quote:

There are no similarities between pre-marital sex and rape aside from sex.

Sure there are. I can think of someone who benefits from both situations and for the same reason.

In every way you can apply a comparison in this aspect, so can a comparison be applied in my example. It's just very weak and it was supposed to show you something. I know you're saying they're similar, but the similarities are so weak it's not worth mentioning. That's the reason I brought this up. Instantly you see the difference. The question is why don't you see the difference between dog fighting (which is basically animal torture) and sport hunting?

The comparison is similar if you look at is as a moral question. One is extremely severe and illegal, the other is simply POSSIBLY immoral.

The reason that I'm pointing out that dog fighting is illegal is the fact of WHY it is illegal and why hunting is not (which I mentioned earlier). You started this off by saying how hunters get off the hook in the media. What they do is not illegal and is in no way anywhere near as severe as what happens in dogfighting circles. Therefore, they're never on the hook. So yes, legality is an issue in the discussion.

There are tons of laws where similar discussions could be held. Sure, both of these instances are about the killing of an animal, but the line has to be drawn somewhere. The line is drawn before severity. Just as in the example I gave. The media is going to crucify anyone who breaks the law regardless of how similar it is to something that is legal.

Or in my other example which you didn't comment on for whatever reason:

Quote:
I'm not going to condemn a soldier for killing another in a war, but I'm going to condemn the same guy for doing sadistic things to the same man for his entire life until he gets bored of him and then kills him by setting him on fire.

We can all pretty much agree that killing is wrong, but there's a difference between killing and going that extra mile that makes you sadistic. Now if a man were killed by a soldier in such a manner, his victim wouldn't be a casualty of war. He would be the victim of a seriously messed up murderer.

They have a similarity sure, but you can't expect anyone to take you seriously when you want to relate the similarities between what is possibly immoral and what is definitely sadistic.

--

I'm not sure if we're going around in circles now, but I'm gonna back away from the discussion so the other elements of Vick's actions' repurcussions can be discussed since I don't think we're getting anywhere. Just had to get 2 more cents in the bucket.

^_^

Eyepatches of the Faith

397934 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Urn wrote:
But, with hunting and dog fighting they both involve the killing of an animal for sport and they both involve some kind of benefit for the death of that animal (whether you agree with the benefits or not).

Am I wrong for thinking that you seem to lump every hunter into the category of people that do it just for sport as opposed to people who honestly benefit from the death of that animal? Most hunters eat what they kill, or are survivalists [see again Ted Nugent] and use every part of the animal for some other purpose. Does this mean that the Native Americans and the Pilgrims both were doing it for sport and not for survival, perhaps? I mean, it isn't as if either one of those groups back in 1620 could just head out to a fast food joint and pull up and order the #5 large or anything.

Tell me again what benefit there is to dogfighting? What good comes out of it, except the mutilation of some animal that has no business theoretically of being put in that situation in the first place? If you kill a deer, you can eat the meat, use its hide for various things, and just for decoration, hang the head on your wall because you don't know what else to do with it. If you kill a deer, it's okay because theoretically, that's what they're there for - to eat. Dogs are domesticated animals that [unless someone's changed the rules on this] are basically for companionship and hell, to help hunt other things [like deer]. I completely fail to understand how you would want to paint hunters in the same class as dogfighters and try to defend the concept of dogfighting even though the consequences of such all around are far worse for engaging in the sport than it is for hunting. Hunting has a purpose and dogfighting does not, end of story.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: