Suikoden Urgent and Irrational Kraalesque Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Is Metallica a terrorist threat?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Is Metallica a terrorist threat? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When I first saw this headline I swore I thought April Fool's Day was several months over already. I was right about the April Fool's Day thing, but I was wrong to think the headline was just one of those Onion gag headlines. It actually occurred this past weekend as Metallica arrived in London to perform for Live Earth.

Metallica: Terrorist Threat?

I understand the need for increased security in all of the UK's airports and public facilities, but stopping a guy whose beard looked terrorist-like just made me laugh to no end. I mean who was part of the group study on counter-terrorism in the UK which decided which facial hairstyle constituted one as a possible terrorist and what didn't.

I know some would say that James Hetfield is not a terrorist other than he and his group supposedly "selling out" its hardcore fans. But an actual terrorist would be the farthest thing on my mind after seeing Hetfield in that new beard of his.

I mean in the US increased security has led to an increase in racial profiling on Arabs and those who dress in traditional Muslim attire, but I've not heard of passengers and visitors being detained and interrogated for having a beard that looked terrorist-like.

This brings up my question of what do you think is enough when it comes to profiling who might or might not be a terrorist. Does how one look or not look make one suspicious?

Space Monkey Punks From Japan

349252 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read, not only is it racial profiling they are now discriminating over general appearance. I better Santa Claus is glad he does not use the aiport, as soon as he comes out of the terminal gates he would be gunned down no doubt.

One of the dumbest things I have ever read :o

FOREVER X!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

"Fears that Hetfield might be involved in terrorism were apparently founded on his "Taliban-like beard", according to The Times. He was allowed to leave the airport after a brief interrogation, when he persuaded officials that he was a rock star."

hahaha, that's classy. Well these things happen. I'd rather them be too cautious than not enough, and it's no like they did him any harm. There are plenty of public icons I wouldn't recognize, so it's no surprise this guy had to think twice.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What I found really hilarious and bizarre was how they came up with a definition of what makes a "Taliban-like beard". I mean if one was to look at Scott Ian right now will his beard count as Taliban-like. :)

Space Monkey Punks From Japan

349252 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mel Gibson too, he has the whole Grey Beard going on. Could Gibson be a terrorist? lol

FOREVER X!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Phamex

Raccoon Dogs

135274 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think people have seriously gone overboard. The human race is such a mixed breed now that you can't always assume you know where someone is from, especially if you're basing your assumptions on facial hair. The only thing racial profiling is accomplishing is hassling people at the airport who happen to have a nice tan. Pretty soon you'll have to submit background checks so that you can apply for a license that allows you to be an airplane passenger.

Maybe I'm being a bit extreme, but I'm bitter. I've flown by myself post 9-11 a few times and never had a problem. The last time however, I was with my mom, and low and behold we were selected for a "random security check." Random my ass. My mom has a dark complexion and an accent. And the extra security? A very unenthusiastic pat down. I could have had C-4 strapped to myself and they would've been clueless. So personally, I feel that all this extra security is a joke.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I want to grow one now (if only I could!!) just so I can get detained.

What madness!

There must be thousands of innocent people sporting a beard like that.

I also heard each some of the Talliban had tattoos on their wrists - guess this is bad luck for me.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No invoking your Rune of Punishment at Air Port Fluffy, that's a no-no.

Racial profiling at it's best. What more is there to say?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

At least some people can't complain that only minorities are being profiled. Though some might say that these airport security screeners in Heathrow thought James Hetfield was a minority. I don't even know what sort of profiling he would fall under.

Rebel of Babylon

1133304 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Man, I can certainly understand the heightened security measures being undertaken, but to take a look at somebody and suddenly come to the conclusion "That beard! It... it looks like a... TALIBAN beard!" and inconvenience someone solely on that basis is just drifting over the line into paranoia.

I bet The Undertaker from WWE is really happy he's long since abandoned his Ministry of Darkness gimmick, since he just had a slightly triangular goatee on his chin and was pretty much made up to look somewhat... Satanic.

Just wait, sunglasses will be next.

At this rate, they're going not going to allow any clothing on flights and they will make you strip naked before you can board the plane.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Facial hair profiling. I guess I should be worried that I'm sporting the same facial hair as some of the 9/11 hijackers: none.

House wrote:
At this rate, they're going not going to allow any clothing on flights and they will make you strip naked before you can board the plane.

I would say that would make things more interesting, but I've seen the people I've had on the same planes as me. I'd rather walk.

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

James Hetfield is not a terrorist.

This news just made my day.

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
abs9palisoc

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

maybe they thought he was a muslim. ive heard police keeps anj eye on them specially the ones with long beard and i think that discrimination.I HATE DISCRIMINAtION
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It is possible however that it was just payback for St. Anger.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Axiose wrote:
It is possible however that it was just payback for St. Anger.

Well, you will get a lot of people agree with you on that. Though I know some who think it's payback going all the way back to the Black Album.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: