Suikoden Uncouth and Irenic Karma Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

UK raises security level to Critical in light of terrorist attacks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Decado

Desert Elite

357208 Potch
0 Soldiers
4283 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: UK raises security level to Critical in light of terrorist a Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As you may have seen the UK has been the target of several terrorists attacks over the last 48 hours.

First off two car-bombs were found in central London, both of these cars were filled with propane gas cylinders, petrol and nails. Luckily these were found and disarmed before they could be detonated.

Secondly today suspected terrorists set fire to a 4x4 jeep and crashed it into Glasgow Airport, it seems their intent was to drive the burning car into the lobby.

I hope that this doesn't tip the balance and set off a string of similar attacks in other countries. It could be that these were co-ordinated to hit along with Tony Blair resigning from power or it could be that it was just random. I understand the USA has also raised it's security levels at airports as well. I just wish that this doesn't escalate into further copy-cat attacks. Is this a possibility in your opinion?

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They were badly organised attacks, no one was killed thankfully. Not much else to say, I don't think it has anything to do with Blair leaving, just terrorists trying to keep their story in the lime light.

I doubt would be terrorists would start acting because of a few failed attacks lately, it usually takes a lot of time and effort.
Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: UK raises security level to Critical in light of terrori Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Decado wrote:
As you may have seen the UK has been the target of several terrorists attacks over the last 48 hours.

First off two car-bombs were found in central London, both of these cars were filled with propane gas cylinders, petrol and nails. Luckily these were found and disarmed before they could be detonated.

Secondly today suspected terrorists set fire to a 4x4 jeep and crashed it into Glasgow Airport, it seems their intent was to drive the burning car into the lobby.

I hope that this doesn't tip the balance and set off a string of similar attacks in other countries. It could be that these were co-ordinated to hit along with Tony Blair resigning from power or it could be that it was just random. I understand the USA has also raised it's security levels at airports as well. I just wish that this doesn't escalate into further copy-cat attacks. Is this a possibility in your opinion?

I think it's always a possibility, but we just have to hope or pray against it. A friend who lives near the area was just informing me about this actually. At least the problem was caught early, and bombs were disarmed. It seems like recently I am hearing more and more about these attacks. Thankfully, most of what I've heard has been foiled plans. All nations can do is tighten security (which creates a hassle in most places) and hope that it's enough. I mean...have we even put a sufficient dent in the Terrorists yet? Sure, we've captured and killed people of power, but has it slowed their momentum much? :(
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vertius

The Runic Fletchers

629970 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Uji-sama wrote:
I don't think it has anything to do with Blair leaving, just terrorists trying to keep their story in the lime light.

I also don't think this has anything to do with Blair leaving. I think it has everything to do with Gordon Brown becoming the new Prime Minister. It wouldn't surprise me that terrorists would avail of the new political situation. Depending on how he acted during this, they may have hoped to show weakness.

Amusingly, they've done the opposite. The car bombs were foiled by a drunk, a policeman, and a clamper, and I think they were getting desperate about causing some damage, with the most recent event. Other than some minor injuries to civilians, the terrorists only managed to harm themselves.

It's wonderful that there were no deaths from this. It says a lot about the quality of British intelligence and law enforcement.

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

One up for the Crown, thank heavens.
The whole thing makes me sick.
I don't understand people who are willing to blow up other people, and I don't want to.

You know, this is totally naive, but I wish there was some way everyone could just live in peace...
I wish that if people had a problem with someone else, they'd say it out loud and fight it out with their fists or something. Keep it personal and keep the innocents OUT of it.

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
ViktorFan

Shalimar

1825501 Potch
200 Soldiers
4195 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not sure if it has something to do with Blair's resigning, I think these attacks should remind the people in UK on the horrible terroristical attack which happened 2 years ago. The attacks in London and Glasgow fortunately failed, but I'm afraid there will be some more attempts for those attacks in the next days.

I've read that the cars in London were prepared like the cars they use in Iraq for the suicide attacks so Scotland Yard thinks the attackers were inspired by Al Qaida. I wouldn't say the attacks were badly organised, from what I've read it was pure chance that the cars were found.
Scott

Demon King's Ambition

41 Potch
1150 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I woke up to watching this on CNN this morning. It certainly was amazing to see that 2 attacks have happened over there so quickly. It's quite the relief that they managed to stop the bombs, and that this one seems to have failed as well.

They're up to, I believe 3 suspects. At least 1 of them dead. One in the hospital in Critical, and I am unsure of the third, but I think he died too.The one that survived is said to have had some sort of electronic device on him, and some are saying it was a bomb. Yikes!

To relive those Halcyon days of youth
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would agree with ViktorFan on this one. It has less to do with Blair resigning and Gordon Brown taking over than it was about setting up the two year anniversary of the London bombings. I do think that as disorganized as these two events have seemed to be there's no denying the fact that it's happening on UK soil. IF these two events failed to do the kind of damage the terrorists had wanted them to do then it just shows the next batch waiting to do their part more reason to fine-tune and hone their plans.

I'm going to think that the UK will be on much higher alert for the next month, if not two, to make sure that copy-cat or follow-up attacks are stopped before they even begin. Raids of suspected groups and, I will daresay, checking up on the more radical Islamic groups in the country will increase. So far, I've read mostly just reactions from the government and law agencies on these two events, but what has been the reaction from the population especially the large Muslim population in Great Britain.

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow. This is perfect timing for my vacation to the UK. Fun airport times ahead! -__-
Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tonberry wrote:
Wow. This is perfect timing for my vacation to the UK. Fun airport times ahead! -__-

Ouch! I suggest getting there maybe 3 hours early. You're in for a crappy time my friend..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HarmonianHiccup

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Probably even earlier than that--and be prepared to be pretty much strip-searched and patted down. And they'll take away your chapstick.

It took me a good four hours to get through customs last time...

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As you all know Im a proud Brit and I also happen to live where the terrorists who plotted the July 7th attacks lived. In fact one of them was a primary school teacher who taught at a school literally around the corner from me. And just for the record Im not really surprised this happened. It's pretty clear that Gordon Brown taking the helm was a factor in this but in response to the question. No. I dont think there will be any other attacks for awhile yet. But to be honest, we knew it was only a matter of time before the terrorists tried their luck again, clearly they were foiled and nothing came of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: