Suikoden Uncanny and Infamous Kibbutz Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Deadliest Catch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Deadliest Catch Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm a newcomer to this show from The Discovery Channel. I saw the first special they made about Bering Sea crab fishing many years ago when it was quite the fad to do shows on world's dangerous jobs. It was all just in time for the release of the movie The Perfect Storm which also details the events of swordfishing and a convergence of a couple storms to make a huge one. This only made what was already an extremely dangerous job even moreso.

The Deadliest Catch has become the reality tv show to watch. Reality TV always get used with shows like Real World, Survivor and other shows that's suppose to show real life being played out in front of the tv viewing public. The crab fishermen who see the Bering Sea as their workplace are the ones really living out reality unscripted and on-the-fly. Fear Factor has nothing on the captains and crews of the Bering Sea crab fishing fleet.

The show is pretty much about documenting the lives of several ships and crews who go year in and year out into the Bering Sea during the Alaskan King Crab and Opilio Crab seasons. It shows just how inherently dangerous this job is and why it truely earns the title of "Most Dangerous Job" in the world.

Each time the ships go out into the bearing sea to set their crab pots the ship and crews will experience rough seas which brings the danger of rogue waves towering as high as a four-story building and with enough force to tip a several thousand ton ship on its side. Waves taller than the ship can easily swamp the crews on the deck over the side of the ship. This is just the routine stuff they go through year in and year out in addition to mechanical problems, broken bones and other types of injuries common place in a work area with 700 to 900 lbs steel crab pots being swung around by a ship crane.

The show really gives in detail just how much is risked and sacrificed to bring king crab to restaurant and people's tables. I know that after watching this show I have a much deeper appreciation for the men (and some women) who make sure these crabs are harvested. I also won't be complaining about the price of King Crab any more.

Has anyone else been able to catch this show and what do you think about it?

Deadliest Catch on Discovery

Kanaria, Most Intelligent Rozen Maiden

591783 Potch
0 Soldiers
4561620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

God Yeah, I love the show! It's just fun to watch people do actually hard things for a change. I think I've seen every episode (And about half of "After the Catch" and a lot of that other special they made a while back). It's really cool because over time it gives you a vast look at how a workplace actually functions.

But honestly the show is lying because the moment they ok-ed the production of the show Crab Fishing stopped being the most Deadliest job. Being a Discovery Camera man is the worst job on the planet, so much so they need their own special!

Overall though I'd give the show two thumbs up!

The pursuit of symmetry... Death The Kid, Patty and Liz.

SSBB Friend Code: Ace / 4339-2163-7352
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I'd say that being a camera man on the boat is quite the dangerous job but they don't have to deal with the equipment needed to set the pots and catch the crabs. I'd say their job is just a tad less dangerous.

Season 3's After the Catch post-show specials in the last 6 episodes were nice since it brings together the skippers of the boats in the show. It's a nice change of pace to see Captains Sig Hansen, Phil Harris and the two Hillstrand Brothers (Andy and Johnathan) sitting together over a pint and a shot or two talking about sea-tales of their job.

My favorite boat and crew so far has to be the Time Bandit. They don't have the biggest boat in the show but this season they seem to have run into some good karma after a rescue of a man overboard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: