Suikoden Uncouth and Infamous Keystone Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Giving games another chance: have you ever done this?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HarmonianHiccup

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Which is why we're all SO glad you gave it another try...

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
Thor McOdin

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

1757439 Potch
4444 Soldiers
4225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I did this with Suikoden II and III. I didn't even make it past the slaughter of the Unicorn Brigade my first time through Suikoden II and I put the game on the shelf for a few months. Lo and behold, it is now my favorite of the series. Go figure. I got stuck in Suikoden III during Thomas' Chapter when I first played it, and pulled myself away from the game for a few weeks.

Not all ninja codes are brewed equally. Here at Shinobi, we use the choicest Bavarian hops that are ripened to perfection. One sip and we will have you saying...nothing.
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I gave Suikoden IV another chance after my initial disappointment. I played for a few days, then questioned why I even wanted to replay it. *sigh* It was pretty enjoyable but I just couldn't stand traveling around in that game. I had to give Suikoden II another chance, because I got stuck (in boredom) in Thomas's first chapter-- however after I continued playing I found it to be one of my favorites of the Suikoden series.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Artificity

Ronery Puratoon

17923 Potch
0 Soldiers
750 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Magna Carta: Tears of Blood. I gave it a try once and the game moved so effin' slow that I thought that the only reason this game was ever made was to function as torture at Abu Ghraib. Nothing was skippable and even your attack animations had load time. ATTACK ANIMATIONS FER CHRISSAKE.

I tried it again a month back, managed to overlook the slowness of everything and then realized that I've already spent 5 hours just getting past the first two dungeons. Not because of length but because of, well, everything else. I tried to be fair to it but it wasn't being fair to me so that didn't get much of a second life.

But back on topic. I loathed Tekken for so long because I was a huge 2D fighter fanbrat. Tekken 5 rolled along, I realized that Anna Williams could turn my homogheiness completely around and have thus made it my competitive game of choice. My friends still don't understand what brought my interest back in the series because they couldn't think of any guy that would bait me into playing it. HAH!

The Runic Fletchers

629970 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Prince of Persia: Warrior Within.

When I started it, I hated it. It was a completely different tone from it's predecessor, the Sands of Time, which is till one of my favourite non-RPG games. I only played about 30 minutes of it before I took it out of the tray. However, six months later, I was looking for a game to play, and Warrior Within stood there. I gave it a chance; playing past the start that annoyed me so much, and found that, after the start, the tone changes somewhat, and it turned out that it wasn't too different from the Sands of Time.

Except for the Metal Soundtrack. Ugh...

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Phantom Brave, i hated it at first because i didn't really understand how the titles worked and the phantom removing themselves after a set number of turns got quite frustrating, but now i really like the game since i understand how it all works, there is just one problem, i can't get the disc to work because i have a very old PS2 :( .

Also Suikoden IV got a second chance, and in a way i'm glad i did, i really do enjoy the game up until the point just after you recruit Elenor, i can't fault the early parts, it just loses it's steam and most of it's plot/development after that, it isn't a bad game really.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Vertius wrote:
Except for the Metal Soundtrack. Ugh...

Yes, that was quite strange for a game in Persia at that time. However I think they were trying to break away from the cultural aspect of Persia and just try to make an action game. Can't see them playing some traditional Persian music whilst being chased by the Dahaka though. :P

Last edited by Ujitsuna on Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Sami

Liberating Swords

199204 Potch
27 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I originally didn't like Katamari Damashii. The controls felt clumsy and the stages were repetitive. So I put it aside and played something else, until after some weeks I decided to try it again, and found myself enjoying the game. I guess my brain was adapting to the game during the break?

I also tried playing Suikoden III for a second time, hoping it would be better. Alas, it wasn't.

More recently, I only got into Wii Sports a month or so after buying the console. I wasn't too excited by it on the first tries, but tried it again in January and found it to be fun, have been playing the game every now and then since.
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've a new game in mind: Atelier Iris 3: Grand Phantasm.

When I first got this game, I was very disappointed because it was very different from the other two games in terms of gameplay and also because it did not have much of a storyline from what I initially saw. Just about a few minutes later, I made the conclusion that I didn't like the party much either, because they didn't seem very funny and they also didn't seem very interesting. The last straw however came when I discovered that there were only going to be three party members, and that the last character wasn't someone who looked interesting either. That was where I said 'Oh forget about this, let's go back to .//hack Reminicise!'

About three days later, I thought I'd give the game a try again, since I liked the item creation. For unexplained reasons, I suddenly liked the game again, I enjoyed the battle system and I just forgot completely about the semblance to a story that Atelier Iris 3 had. As I progressed through the game, the characters (both the main party and also various NPCs) have sort of evolved in terms of personality as I did their quests and more events took place and I find that the Burst gauge is fun to abuse for high damage and bonuses.

I'm glad I gave this game a chance now.

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My copy of Suikoden IV just came in the mail yesterday, I decided to give it another chance. Within only a few hours, I remember why I never dedicated myself to it :(

I will stick to it this time though!

Fightin' Nac Mac Feegle

418570 Potch
0 Soldiers
10000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Battalion Wars-

A great game, but the controls are hard to adapt to. First time I played it I got about halfway through and kind of dumped it. I picked it up a week ago and finished it. Once I mastered the controls, it became an incredible game. I only regret not playing it again sooner, but whaddya gonna do?

Suikoden IV-

When I first got it, I didn't touch it for MONTHS. Then I played it finally once and got far enough to meet Chiepoo and got so disgusted at the sight of a cat man that I left it sitting for months and months. After Suikoden V, I picked it up and played it to completion. Still a mediocre game though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: