Suikoden Uncouth and Inspirational Karma Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Giving games another chance: have you ever done this?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:16 am    Post subject: Giving games another chance: have you ever done this? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Right now I'm going through FFXII. A few months back I would say I hated it, but right now, after deciding to make a new game and give it another go, and play differently, I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit. Amazing how turning off those fucking gambits and making it wait mode instead of active mode does for me.

This thread is dedicated to those games that you once disliked highly, but were so open minded that you decided to give them another go and gained a new respect for them.

I'm sure everyone has experienced this at least once.
HarmonianHiccup

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

FF VIII. THe first time I tried it I was like "OH my gosh. Not a chance." THen I tried it again a few years later (actually, my friend sat me down, thrust a controller into my hands and told me she'd string me up by my toes if I didn't play it. So I did.) and I really, really ended up liking it alot. (<3 Laguna!!!)

Most of the time it's the other way around for me--I like something OK, lose interest, then come back to it and wonder what on earth I was thinking...

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's another for me. I couldn't stand FFVIII the first time, but that's because I didn't know how the fuck to play it. I drew magic all the time. It is actually not even necessary. All you need are modification abilities. There only times you need to draw is on Island of Heaven/Hell to be honest.

FFVIII is one of those games you just gotta "get". Once I did, it became my favorite Final Fantasy bar none.
Sun's Vicegerent

Divine Judgement

777674 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Valkyrie Profile. The first time I ever played it, I was really too reluctant to send my Einjenhar up to Valhalla and when Freya decided to strike me down, I was too lazy to start a new game already.

I played it again a few years later and I really ended up loving the game. I hated it at first though because of Freya though.

Crimson Grass

1177898 Potch
114 Soldiers
940 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden IV. Come on, you saw it coming. I felt like I was compelled to finish the game the first time just because I'm a fan of the series. The second time I played through (so that I can carry over to Tactics), I quite liked it. Still, I find that it really lacked something. Changing six to four characters was just an extreme change, and un-Suikodeny for me.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Legend of Legaia fits into this category for me. At first I was quite optimistic and for a few hours I enjoyed playing it, but gradually the world just got gloomier and duller and I felt I didn't really care what happened next. However I did come back to the game at a later date and complete it and feel it was a very good solid RPG.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't think I have experienced such thing as in turning it 180 degrees from hate to love, or from thinking that it sucks into thinking that it's a good game. The closest thing that has ever happened to me is Thousand Arms. I couldn't stand that game at first, but then somehow managed to replay it due to boredom and wanting to know how it ends. It was actually not as bad as I thought. Still one of the worsts if not the worst battle system though.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Kain

Desert Claw

297869 Potch
75 Soldiers
1196 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Metal Gear Solid , i really hate this game... why? at 1st time i was think this game is a lame shooting game.. but one of my friend introduce me about this game. he teach me how to play this game.. and i realize this game really awsome . not just a lame shooting, it actually a Tactical Spy game..

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think I've done that with a lot of games, where the cycle would be play a bit, get bored, play it again, get bored somemore, quit playing it and then come back at some other time.

The game that best fits your description would be Final Fantasy Tactics. When I first picked this game up, I had little idea as to how to play it. I thought the game went too slow, it was boring and it was simply not worth my time to go through it.
Later, I got bored, so I decided to try the game again. This time around, I intended to learn the game's mechanics, and I was impressed with the game now. That was the first game I got addicted too. Ironic isn't it?

The other game that made me give up in frustration was Sim City. When I first started it, I had absolutely no idea how to play the game, and everything I did failed to produce towns, or even a few people. As a result, I just gave up on the game, saying that it was useless. Then I discovered how to make the areas grow, and it was all magical after that.

One other game was Tales of the Abyss. What happened was that I happened to miss out on getting Sword Dances the first time, so I decided to walk to its location instead of going straight to St.Binah. By this time, I was already irritated by the amount of trips I had to make, so when I discovered that this one was for nothing, I got mad and I didn't play the game for 3 whole months.

I'd say that this happens mostly with games where there are periods of boredom.

Highwind: If it helps, I haven't even finished the game yet as of now.
Ujitsuna: Really? I played the whole game through. Then again, that was my first RPG ever.
Hiccup: I never felt that with FFVII, except for the part where I got walloped by the Malboros.

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nothing like that has happened to me. I've gone back to several games after I decided that the game was awful and I didn't want to play it anymore, but I've never changed my opinion on it to being enamored.

FFXII was one of those games. I just about put it down, but then I found Gilgamesh and felt nostalgic and continued. Shorly thereafter, I gave up and needed to play something else in order to "detox." I went back to it and finished it, but I still don't think highly of it.

Xenosaga Episode II is another, but I still don't like the battle system (although I do understand it fully now and it's not difficult to do, but it is a chore) and I quit again when I reached another dungeon I knew I'd have to go through. I'll go back to it, maybe, after I finish Episode I again.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I tried to give FF 10-2 another chance but it just pissed me off even more. Wild Arms was a game I did'nt like at first but it qiuckly grew on me. Dead Rising as well was very annoying for me at first becuase of the save system which absolutly sucks but when I got used to it and got the hang of the game I enjoyed it greatly.

Solemn Sound

330634 Potch
100 Soldiers
48 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I actually just recently gave a game another chance. I gave the game Legend of mana for the playstation 1 another chance a few weeks back. Legend of mana being the sequel to secret of mana and I really enjoyed secret of mana but was dissapointed with Legend of mana. The first time I was just like blah this game stinks and is crappy sequel but playing again Legend of mana is not so bad after all. It is still crappy compared to Secret of Mana in my opinion, but none the less it was somewhat enjoyable to play and the fact that is was relatively short gameplay helped me maintain interest an finally beat it.

Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I felt that way about Xenosaga episode 1. When I first went through it, I really loved the story, but I thought it was really hard as I never stole from bosses and got few of the segment addresses. I went through again when episode 2 came out and I loved it.

Himuro, I had the exact opposite feeling about FFVIII. I played the card game all the time and got the best spells three hours into the game and became incredibly overpowered. After I realized that fighting enemies would level the enemies up and make it harder for me, I just ran from every encounter and could kill all the bosses in one hit for the first two discs.
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Highwind wrote:
Suikoden IV. Come on, you saw it coming.\

I gave this one another chance. I've played it twice and I still hate it.

Timbo wrote:

Himuro, I had the exact opposite feeling about FFVIII. I played the card game all the time and got the best spells three hours into the game and became incredibly overpowered. After I realized that fighting enemies would level the enemies up and make it harder for me, I just ran from every encounter and could kill all the bosses in one hit for the first two discs.

The thing about FFVIII is that, you can make it as easy or as hard as you want it to be. It's an extremely flexible game.
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden 1 was like that for me. When I first played in back in 1996, the graphics looked so shitty and the first few scenes bored me so much that I quit the game and left the game untouched for the next 6 months. Thankfully I was bored one day and gave the game another shot--and then I got hooked (I think the war event at Pannu Yakuta was what got me really hooked).

Heck, without that reconsideration, suikox won't exist.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: