Suikoden United and Inspirational Knowledge Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

PS3 to dominate in the future?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the most Sony will cut the price will be $100 and most likely do what Microsoft did and set-up an "Elite" version with a larger HDD to take over the $600 price. From what I've read if Sony lowers the price right now from $600 to $500 their loss from each console sold will go from $247 to $350. If they lower it to $450 then the loss will be slightly under $400 per unit.

Analyst do see the cost of producing one PS3 to go down some by year's end so the loss won't be as high as I listed above but even at $450 the PS3 will cause Sony to lose around $250 to $300 per unit. At the moment, Microsoft loses somewhere around $150 to $170 per 360 Pro sold. They seem to actually lose not that much more with the Elite version. The cost to make a 360 Pro and Elite will go down as well which should help Microsoft decide on whether they should stick it to Sony and lower the price on both or keep the price as is. Even if they don't lower the price on the 360 their console will either be the same price as a heavily price-cut PS3 or still cheaper than a reasonably price-cut PS3.

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

HD-DVD and Blu ray are the next Beta, Laser disc, and Mini disc. No one cares about them at all. Hell, upscaled dvds do the job just fine. There's no reason or use for them. Oh wow, now I can have 50 gigs on a disc, when one dvd is just fine.
Demon Eyes Kyo

Crimson Crusaders

260069 Potch
250 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Speaking of that, I love it how people think MORE SPACE = better games. If they were to add even more content or use the entire disc, wouldn't that take MORE time and cost MORE money?

Return that soul to God.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Himuro wrote:
HD-DVD and Blu ray are the next Beta, Laser disc, and Mini disc. No one cares about them at all. Hell, upscaled dvds do the job just fine. There's no reason or use for them. Oh wow, now I can have 50 gigs on a disc, when one dvd is just fine.

Have to agree with Himuro, Sony and other companies have been making out that Blu ray is going to be the next big thing, when in fact it sounds like mini-discs allover again. For those who actually have the insane amount of money to slurge on a HD television, Blu Ray player and the Blu Ray DVD's themselves and then the cost of the PS3 thrown in, It just struck me that one of the most horrible things about the PS3 is the fact that some of its games actually Need a HD TV, which puts a bit of a dent into the plans of people who want a PS3 and might even be able to afford one and then realise they cant own some of the games becuase they dont have another 500 qiud to spend on a new television.

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Speaking of that, I love it how people think MORE SPACE = better games. If they were to add even more content or use the entire disc, wouldn't that take MORE time and cost MORE money?

Until they learn how to do it more effieicently, yeah.

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's the trick. Having more space will allow for more things to be created for any particular game. Very photorealistic CG graphics even more possible, but then the PS2 Emotion Chip was suppose to allow such eye-candy and it never delivered. Does CELL and Blu-Ray make such graphics possible? I'm sure it's much more possible with those two but will developers be able to create such graphics in a reasonable amount of time and with a development cost that couldn't put it close to 50 million dollars or more.

With the nextgen systems much more powerful than the previous generation, I wonder just how long before a game ends up getting so overbudgeted in its development that the price tag is close to being 100 million just to make the game. Most AAA titles usually in the 25-40 million dollar range in terms of development and that doesn't include how much is spent to mass-produce and market the title once it's done.

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tell you what though, Beautiful Katamari is going to be out in a bit here on both PS3 and 360, and considering the RPGs that are likely to hit PS3 within the next 3 years, I have the feeling I might have to go with Sony on this one...

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

At the moment there's no announcement that Beautiful Katamari will be coming out on the PS3. It's been widely reported that the game from Namco Bandai will be exclusive only for the 360, or at the very least time-exclusive with a chance that it will come out for the PS3 months later.

If the rumor and speculation turns out to be true then this could be due to Microsoft and Namco Bandai (publisher of the game) hammering out an agreement to make certain games in the Namco Bandai library exclusive in some way to the 360 console system.

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If you check out the newest issue of GameInformer there's a preview for it--and it's slated for release on both systems. Plus, back when I was on the "Inside," so to speak, Namco sent us a press release informing us that Beautiful Katamari would be on both next-gen systems, and that there would likely be a Katamari release for the Wii as well, with thoughts on a DS version.

It's been known to happen, but I do find it unlikely that a series such as Katamari, which has been thus far a Sony exclusive, would jump to being a Microsoft exclusive. I can see it going multi-platform, but I doubt that it would be 360 only. That, however, is only my opinion.

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not to sound as if I am making it up...

Beautiful Katamari for PS3 and Project HAMMER canceled?

Beautiful Katamari may be 360 exclusive, clouds gather for Sony's third-party support

Namco Lists New Katamari As 360 Only

Namco Bandai’s fact sheet says Beautiful Katamari is an Xbox 360 exclusive

Yes, it hasn't been confirmed that it will be a 360 exclusive, but when every rumor and speculation from the lowest blogger to Nesweek's very own tech reporter are saying that it's close to being a done deal. Plus, Namco listing the game as only 360 with the PS3 not being mentioned as a possible destination is a tad telling.

I'm sure things will get cleared up once E3 comes around and Microsoft makes the announcement during it's press conference which they will be the first of the Big Three to do.

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Apparently they've cancelled Ace Combat for ps3 as well.

Last edited by Himuro on Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:15 am; edited 2 times in total
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, they're only developing and releasing Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation for the 360. This doesn't mean that the franchise will be a 360-exclusive. There's a good chance that the next game in the series will make it to the PS3.

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Demon Eyes Kyo wrote:

It also means they will feel they will have to attempt to fill the entire disc as well. That means possibly more bloated, unnecessary content in games.

Sniper_Zegai wrote:
Himuro wrote:

Have to agree with Himuro, Sony and other companies have been making out that Blu ray is going to be the next big thing, when in fact it sounds like mini-discs allover again. For those who actually have the insane amount of money to slurge on a HD television, Blu Ray player and the Blu Ray DVD's themselves and then the cost of the PS3 thrown in, It just struck me that one of the most horrible things about the PS3 is the fact that some of its games actually Need a HD TV, which puts a bit of a dent into the plans of people who want a PS3 and might even be able to afford one and then realise they cant own some of the games becuase they dont have another 500 qiud to spend on a new television.

What these companies don't understand is that hd-dvd and blu ray won't be sucessful because they aren't that much of an evolution. Most people do not care about more space.

There are many reasons why dvd became a phenmoneon, and still is. It allowed people to not have to rewind those goddamn tapes. It had better, consistent quality that didn't degrade over time, it allows you to implement subtitles, different voice tracks, and even have extras on the side. VHS could not do this. This is why dvd was so sucessful. It was an actualy evolution. It's the same thing that happened when we changed from vinyl to cassette tapes and finally to cds. These companies do not get this. Their products have no use to the everday consumer.

On another note, I accidently added Kyo to my ignore list when I quoted him. How the hell do I get that good man off my ignore list?
HarmonianHiccup

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tullaryx wrote:
Not to sound as if I am making it up...

*Grimace* Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I thought you were.

This is not encouraging. However, as you say, all we can really do is wait and see. If Katamari really does enfd up a 360 exclusive I can tell you which system I'll be going with...
...until Suikoden VI hits the shelves as a PS3 title, that is. ;)

The thing about all of this really is that we can discuss it until we turn blue in the face, but we'll never know until it shakes down one way or the other, and there's no telling now which way the tree, so to speak, will fall...

I think if you go into your profile you can get to your ignore list. I accidentally did that too at one point and I was like "No!" but there is a way to fix it...

Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The thing about rumors concerning PS3 problems keeping past exclusive titles have ended up being true in some way. This is why I have a tendency of late to believe such speculations. To be honest, I think many of the third-party publishers have gotten a tad sick of the way Sony had assumed that since the PS2 was such a dominating success that the PS3 would be one as well despite having so many new and untested technology. Sony Playstation's head managers of Kutaragi, Hirai, and Harrison had wrongly assumed that third-party developers would run to the PS3 automatically and sign up their games on exclusive terms advantageous towards Sony.

Sony's thinking have been that it doesn't matter whether the PS3 is much more difficult and expensive to develop for, companies will make their money back right away since everyone will have a PS3 at a faster pace than either the 360 or the Wii. Hence why Take-Two and Ubisoft suddenly did a big 180 degrees and allowed Microsoft to swoop in with better terms to either remove the PS3 exclusive tag and make their games multiplatform with same-day release and/or move exclusivity from the PS3 to the 360.

Sony's problems when it comes to the third-party developers and publishers --- especially those in the west --- could be traced not just on the difficulty of the PS3 as a system, but plain old hubris on the part of Sony's senior managers and executives in the Playstation division. They relied too much on the past success of the PS and PS2 and underestimated the appeal of the Nintendo Wii on top of Microsoft's ability to make itself be the good guy to Sony's bad guy. Sony has no one to blame for its current PS3 problems but itself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: