Suikoden Urgent and Infamous Kriegspiel Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The White Stripes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angelus

Queen of Falena

579729 Potch
0 Soldiers
2545847 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: The White Stripes Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Any fans out there? The White Stripes are probably one of my favourite bands of all time. I like how their videos are so out there, how their songs are mostly a blues/rock mesh, and I really love the colours. :P Red, white and black. <3

My favourite album would have to be Get Behind Me Satan. I know it's all different and stuff from their usual work, but it's pleasant. :P My favourite tracks are of course, Blue Orchid and The Denial Twist, but Forever For Her(Is Over For Me) and White Moon are good too. Elephant is also a good album, it is their most popular one after all.

Anyway, I'm going to buy their new album Icky Thump in a little while. Has anyone heard it? I've heard the song Icky Thump and I liked it, so is the album any good? I heard it was a lot like their earlier stuff, which makes me happy.

Jorge Prima wrote:
What? Our pokemon aren't obeying?

When a problem comes along YOU MUST WHIP IT!
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Icky Thump is pretty good. Although it is really more of the same stuff, becauase they are quite different anyway you are glad to hear them again. Lots of variations in styles on the new album, theres some Gaelic folk in "Prickly Thorn, But Sweetly Worn," old style blues in "Catch Hell Blues" and then theres the trademark sound (with a keyboard in the mix) on the title track itself. It is a good album, and pretty much what you'd expect from them after a few listens.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

White Stripes are wonderful, though I don't like all their stuff (Seven Nation Army for one).

Icky Thump is a great tune, it's like the equivelant of a snarling lip. Havn't heard the album yet but I'm led to believe it's good stuff.

Meg gets some stick from fans saying she's a bad or bland drummer. Well, she's doing something eh? More than I can do I don't doubt.

Probably my favourite songs would be "Jumble Jumble", "Hello Operator" and "Blue Orchid".

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Unlike the Fluffy god above, i love "Seven Nation Army" al it takes to get me going wild on the dance floor is for that dong to come on and i get a little out of control, i love that one.

As for the new stuff i haven't heard any of it yet, i shall rectify this at some point i am sure.

I wouldn't say Meg was a bad drummer, she just has her own umm.. "style" when she is drumming,
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd say it's more of a "simple" or "minimalistic" style rather than "bad."
Jorge Prima

La Raza de Héroes y Protectores de Osito

938390 Potch
1120 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like a few of their songs. Seven Nation Army, Fell in love with a girl, and Hardest button to button come to mind. They seem to get a lot of media attention. Like that whole Are they brother and sister, married, or both? episode. They did their fair share on talk show appearances like Connan O’Brian, Jon Stewart etc. And my favorite, the Simpsons cameo they did awhile back.

J et J

Angelus on Aftershave wrote:
But it stings SO GOOD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

White Stripes are great. Blue Orchid is probably my favorite song from them.

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Angelus

Queen of Falena

579729 Potch
0 Soldiers
2545847 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, that's the thing. The White Stripes' songs don't include crazy complicated notes like other rock songs, so yeah, the drumming is rather simple. I don't think it's bad though. To tell you the truth, I hardly realize it most of the time. But yeah, I don't mind it.

I couldn't get Icky Thump. I'll try to get it tomorrow and say what I think. =e

Jorge Prima wrote:
What? Our pokemon aren't obeying?

When a problem comes along YOU MUST WHIP IT!
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've only heard one song that I know of by the White Stripes, which is what I imagine everyone's heard, Seven Nation Army. Now, I downloaded Elephant when it first came out. Hell, I might have even listened to it once or twice. I can't really count it though as I don't remember in the slightest what it sounds like. I know Seven Nation Army is a cool albeit simple song, and I could potentially like them, but not enough, compared to the slew of other material available to me. That, and they get a very bad rap in most music circles out there. I'm under the impression, due to no actually research of my own, that they've declined tremendously over the years and that their music is rather drab these days. Now, until I've heard them thoroughly myself I can't really stand by that opinion, but I must say I've no great desire to give them a try. Maybe some time I'll listen to them. They're playing at Austin City Limits this year, which I really hope to attend, so I might end up seeing them live, and I usually listen to an album a couple times by any band I intend to see in concert before doing so just so I recognize a track or two.
Tony Stark

War Machine

536068 Potch
250 Soldiers
1600 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I mainly like Jack White's solo stuff, even though I don't really like the Raconteurs or however you spell that. I like Your Southern Can is Mine a whole lot, and I danced in a play once to Blue Orchid. I like Seven Nation Army alright, and Dead Leaves on the Dirty Ground is a pretty good song, I think. I cannot say I have listened to much White Stripes though.

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

While I like a few White Stripes songs, Dead Leaves and the Drity Ground being easily my favorite, I think that they're very overrated. The Raconteurs are much better, and as are other bands with a similar sound like the Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and Wolfmother. I don't know why I never jumped on the bandwagon, maybe because I tend to like it when bands can prove that they can always surprise me with something new, and they haven't done that yet (and 'their' sound is just the Rolling Stones by way of the Velvet Underground anyways). They also tend to get played out, 7 Nation Army especially and I can't stand it when the radio jams songs down out throat, which isn't the band's fault, but still.

I've only heard Icky Thump and guess what? I hate it. The riff is cool, but that little celtic-styled part after the riff just seems like masturbation for some reason and the lyrics aren't particularly good (but the Stripes rarely are). Someone pointed out that it's also the same sound that's been on 3 albums now and that's also true, they just don't have the kind of range I enjoy. I'm sure it'll get played to death, but whatever. If that song's playing it's one less chance to hear something even lamer, like Maroon 5.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: