Suikoden Ugly and Illusional Knowledge Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Football (Soccer) 2007/2008 Season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fundertaker

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just one more thing about Hilário (and yes, it's a foregone conclusion that he sucks, compared to his peers (although I still think that he's more consistent than Cudicini)), and about his 2nd stay in Porto. The 3 goalkeepers ahead of him were one certain Vitor Baia (I think nobody knows this one *rolls eyes*) and the former 2 bench goalkeepers of the Portuguese "B" National Team, Nuno Espirito Santo (who came from Deportivo) and Paulo Santos. Wanna guess who was the 1st goalkeeper of that Portuguese "B" team? Hilário, who else! So, somebody really let himself behind with the years.

EDIT: I never in my life though Hilário would generate discussion worth of 4 posts, and here they are!

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You really think people haven't heard of Vitor Baia, Fundy?

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Felipe

Intelligent Turtle

584845 Potch
1200 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't know about Arsenal. Henry play for Barça now. I think they don't have many chances to win stuff this season.

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Felipe wrote:
I don't know about Arsenal. Henry play for Barça now. I think they don't have many chances to win stuff this season.

I don't think it is final yet, could still be speculation for all we know.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fundertaker, I think Hilario is okay in general. But because he's playing for such a big club like Chelsea, he ended up looking mediocre due to being compared to the two other goalkeepers, especially the excellent Petr Cech. I don't mean to bash Hilario at all, but I'd just like to point out that Hilario playing for 11 games last season was a factor in Chelsea losing the title race (other factors included rubbish Shevchenko/Ballack, no center back other than Terry/Carvalho, etc) compared to the pretty much full power Manchester United who got a lot of boost from great display by Cristiano Ronaldo.

For 07/08 season, I'd expect Chelsea to bounce back and potentially able to perform better to win back the title there. And at the same time, I would expect Cristiano Ronaldo to have difficulties in replicating his performance from last season to this coming season. Not because he's a bad player, but because his performance last season was really really really good (borderline "too good" for me) that he set the bad too high.

On a side note, Vitor Baia used to be one of my favorite goalkeepers in the world.

Moving on to transfer news, Tiago has been signed by Juventus along with someone else that I forgot the name. Quagliarella who was chased by Manchester United has ended up going to Udinese, presumably to replace Iaquinta who joined Juventus a few weeks ago. Ze Roberto moved back to Bayern Munich from Santos, and as mentioned by Felipe above, Henry is really really close to joining Barcelona for 4 years. We'll see how that goes.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Fundertaker

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
You really think people haven't heard of Vitor Baia, Fundy?

It was a joke Phil. If you haven't heard of Baia, now there is a problem to resolve, since he is one of the best goalkeepers ever (and the player who has won more title in his career in the whole world).

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If Henry leaves, I seriously doubt Arsenal to stay in the Top 4 - yes, there's Van Persie and Adebayor, but I really don't think Van Persie can carry the cudgels of Henry though he's a good player and all, and I'm pretty sure that Adebayor may miss out due to the African cup thing.

Midfield should stay the same, Fabregas may stay one more year and move off to Spain though. Rosicky's probably going to be the new captain (or is he already with Henry?)

As for replacement strikers, I suppose there's always Jose Antonio Reyes... I don't know his status, though. :P

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, Henry has gone.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/6231950.stm

One of reasons he stated was that he'd be 31 at the end of next season and he didn't want to risk being at Arsenal without Wenger or Dein.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is definitely great news for me as I'm a Barcelona supporter. However, this brings a big question on who will play up front for the team next season. Right now Barcelona have Henry, Eto'o, Ronaldinho, and Messi. Eto'o is a pure forward, Henry is mostly a forward but can definitely go out wide if needed to, Ronaldinho isn't exactly a forward and like to go from the left, Messi isn't exactly a forward either and like to go from the right. Previously, it was Eto'o up front with Ronaldinho and Messi supporting in a three-man attack. Where will Henry fit into the picture? Will Eto'o or Ronaldinho or Messi be sold by Barcelona? Eto'o and Ronaldinho have been mentioned as targets by AC Milan while Inter showed interest to Messi though unlikely to make an official bid.

And of course, what about Arsenal? Do you think that they are going to be able to lure a proven forward to replace Henry? Maybe Michael Owen? Unlikely but for that kind of cheap price (I heard around 9 million?) he would be a good replacement for Henry.

Speaking of Michael Owen, I heard that Newcastle is going to try desperately to keep him there and not move to Manchester City. Now I can understand if Owen wants to move away from Newcastle. The Magpies aren't the biggest club in the world anyways. But to Manchester City? The Manchester City? What the heck is going on? Did I miss something? Since when is Manchester City a better club to play for than Newcastle United? Am I the only one who thinks that Manchester City sucks? Talk about crazy people.

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Felipe

Intelligent Turtle

584845 Potch
1200 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I heard Eto'o said he is happy to stay in Barcelona, but they say now that they have Henry they will have to get rid of one of the fowards. I'm thinking about Gudjohnsen.

About the Manchester City thing... I just think Michael Owen needs someone to help him with the club changing. He plays for the national team... he can find a better club. That can actually win stuff.

I saw in the newspaper that Real Madrid offered the highest ammount of money in the history of the soccer transfer for Kaka. £80m. And a salary of £12m per year. :shock:

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh God, not Kaka, guy needs to stay in Milan and become the next Maldini or something.

I'd much rather see Real offer a contract to Fabregas, though.

And, oh HELL YEAH

Netherlands won the European U-21 title, thrashing Serbia 4-1. I find it completely funny that a couple months ago, Ernst Bouwes was mocking the Dutch for not having a bright future. Yeah, definitely nothing bright about winning the U-21.

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Henry wasn't very good last season anyway I actually don't see it as too big a blow to Arsenal at this point honestly, yeah he's great normally but they did ok when he wasn't playing much last season. I'm a big fan of Van Persie who has one of the sweetest left foots for taking free kicks on the planet but obviously I know he's not as good as Henry even so he will score a fair few given the bigger opportunity I think. Arsenal will need another player though to get themselves a top four finish though I feel.

Rosicky isn't the captain at all, Gilberto is and was last season whenever Henry wasn't on the pitch which was pretty regularly.

Gudjohnsen is probably gone from Barcelona and he has said his ideal destination is the premiership, he's a class player and any prem team would be lucky to get him. Eto'o said previously he would love to have Henry on the team so I imagine he is happy to stay at Barca still himself obviously final decision rests with the management as to whether he is in their plans, he's a good player and would command a nice price tag though if he's not going to be used all that much.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

While Henry definitely didn't have the best season ever last season, he still contributed nicely by scoring 10 goals out of 16 EPL games that he played. It's still a good ratio between goals and games played. Van Persie fared slightly better with 11 goals out of 17 games. But Adebayor fell far behind with 8 goals out of 21 games. So losing Henry would definitely weaken the team unless they managed to get an even better replacement (call me crazy, but Shevchenko sounds quite nice now hahah).

Speaking of Henry's replacement, it is rumored now that Arsenal is making 11 million bid for Nicolas Anelka. That would definitely be an interesting thing to see. I hope it doesn't happen though because I still want Bolton to succeed. XD

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just think that Chelsea fished out a player that just wasn't suited to them in Shevchenko, perhaps he would be better at Arsenal? :P
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So Barcelona have finally signed Thierry Henry and have handed him the number 14 shirt which has never been worn since the great Johan Cruyff wore it in his days at Barcelona.

What now for Arsenal....will Arsene Wenger leave? Will Cesc Fabregas leave?
What about Eidur Gudjohnsen and Manchester United'd interest, will he move to the Premiership again? Then there is rumours of Samuel Eto'o leaving.

Oh what a fun transfer summer this is turning out to be!

Alan Smith to Boro for £6m? Apparently he has said no. Giuseppe Rossi to Parma for £6m, i wonder will Fergie sell him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 2 of 16

Jump to: