Suikoden Utopian and Irenic Keystone Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Cool Free Indie Music
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cleife

Sand Raider

Potch
Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Cool Free Indie Music Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here's the link...

http://www.freeindie.com/

Yep! a lot of cool indie songs and all of them are free.

So far my favourites are Butterfy Assassins, Blindswitch, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Cloud Cult, Kiss Kiss, The Shins, Velabonz, Matt and Kim, Future Clouds and Radar and Valeze.

Queen of Falena

Potch
Soldiers
2545847 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ugh, yes. <3 I don't know if this is legal or against board rules but thanks. xD

Jorge Prima wrote:
What? Our pokemon aren't obeying?

When a problem comes along YOU MUST WHIP IT!
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

Potch
Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Angelus wrote:
Ugh, yes. <3 I don't know if this is legal or against board rules but thanks. xD

It seems to be music from artists without a record label or an independant one that is distributing music for free.
Shad

Midnight

Potch
Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It doesn't really make the slightest bit of sense to me how those can all be free, but that's pretty cool. Just on a quick scan they're tossing up Ted Leo and the Pharmacists, The Album Leaf, Iron & Wine, Maria Taylor, Against Me!, The Thermals, Cursive, Now It's Overhead, a whole slew of awesome bands.... for free.

Edit: ooh, I skipped a tab. The Decemberists, The Shins, and Of Montreal? This site's pretty great.
Angelus

Queen of Falena

Potch
Soldiers
2545847 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hayashi Ujitsuna wrote:
Angelus wrote:

It seems to be music from artists without a record label or an independant one that is distributing music for free.

I did a search on the first band I seen, Against Me!, and they do have a label. :P

Jorge Prima wrote:
What? Our pokemon aren't obeying?

When a problem comes along YOU MUST WHIP IT!
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

Potch
Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They could be a record label allowing free tracks, not all are owned and run for profit.
Failure_Urn

[SPECTATOR]

Potch
Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Against me! is a great band! =D

If I had to guess though these are songs that the band puts out for people to listen to for free. Just like a pure volume or myspace player.

Flame of the West

Potch
Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hayashi Ujitsuna wrote:
They could be a record label allowing free tracks, not all are owned and run for profit.

I pretty sure that The Shins, and the Decemberists, and probably Iron & Wine, are not offering their music up for free. I'd say there's a pretty fair chance this site goes against forum regulation-- although I have to say there is a wonderful collection of music up there.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shad

Midnight

Potch
Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I got to see Against Me! at Coachella in late April/early May. I must say I was pretty disappointed that they played almost none of their original songs. The new stuff sounds way too generic to me. They did save the day at the very end, right as I was really getting fed up with it, by shooting back to Reinventing Axl Rose to close with Pints of Guinness Make You Stronger and Walking is Still Honest. :)
Failure_Urn

[SPECTATOR]

Potch
Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The thing for against me! linked me to myspace. Im pretty sure its just another site that is more about advertising for bands than leaking their stuff out for free.

I am a little dissapointed they dont have Bear vs. Shark though.

Midnight

Potch
Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gil-galad wrote:
I pretty sure that The Shins, and the Decemberists, and probably Iron & Wine, are not offering their music up for free. I'd say there's a pretty fair chance this site goes against forum regulation-- although I have to say there is a wonderful collection of music up there.

Gil, The Decemberists are the last popular band in the world that I imagine would care about their stuff being passed along for free. They've always been pretty intimate with their fans, and I know the band themselves distributed some of their material via bit torrent a while back. In fact they had all of their equipment stolen once and half the money to buy new stuff was contributed by their fans. What's more, only The Crane Wife was released on a major record label. Their older stuff is all through Kill Rock Stars, a pretty famous indie label, but indie none the less. Permission could easily consist of the band saying "I don't care" and the label shrugging their shoulders, with no formalities involved.

It's only when you get in to the musicians making millions of dollars that you have to concern yourself with getting in legal trouble for preventing the band from making the twenty five cents it would have cost to download the song legally. A lot of the bands I listen to, and I imagine the bulk of if not all of the bands on this site, highly encourage their music be distributed in such a way. That's the great thing about indie. Half the bands are recent enough that they can claim to have gotten most of their own influences by downloading other bands, and none of them were instantly seized by a major label and tossed in to stardom before getting a chance to realize that the money is just a nice addition, a perk, and the music is the whole point of being in a band, not the reverse.

I for one would be shocked and delighted if people gave me money to hear my music. I'm pretty happy when people listen to it period. I think a lot of bands today think the same way.
Masaya

Flying Fusillades

Potch
Soldiers
3635 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

there are actually a lot of good band I've heard of. Sadly I already have their albums. Though I disagree with the placement of some of these bands. The Good Life in no way is Emo-ish to me. They are more like Folky to me.

I wonder if there is a way to get a friends indie band posted up here...

Midnight

Potch
Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Aye. Unfortunately Saddle Creek tends to be synonymous with emo in a lot of peoples' minds. If you tour with Conor you're screwed. :P

How Iron & Wine doesn't fall under "folky" though is way beyond me.

And to answer your question, there's already a recommend a band sort of thread in the media forum where people have been posting up free music by a variety of musicians.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

Potch
Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think this is legal, actually - it looks like the tracks are ganked from free places ala Myspace pages for the band and other free ones (NPR, epitonic, etc). It's not uncommon for indie artists not getting much radio play to release some free tracks.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ninjar

The Shins

Potch
Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shad4k wrote:
How Iron & Wine doesn't fall under "folky" though is way beyond me.

Is that even possible?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Advertisements & Fun Links All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: