Suikoden Utopian and Illusional Karma Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

PSP vs the DS
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geshumaru

Samurai for Hire

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A quwstion: Is anyone has PSP or NDS? If anyone has which is the better? Are these handles good? Why are you buy PSP/NDS?
Shrew

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay, this is moved from the "Hello I'm new thread", and I have no idea why it was there. Make new topics in the appropriate forum next time okay?

Anyway, there's another topic on the PSP and DS here, http://www.suikox.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1881. I'll just keep this open since it pertains more to buying them than the speculation the other thread lived in. So yeah.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've got both. And so far I have to say the PSP is far better. Despite the fact the DS has longer battery life, that's the one, and only thing it has over the PSP. They both have about the same amount of potential, but the PSP's games so far are just so much better. The DS's lauch was okay, but they were mostly ports of games already released, and the only one I felt was done well was the Mario 64 port. With the PSP I've picked up Lumines, which is really, really fun, Ridge Racer, an excellent rendition of the Arcade game, and Metal Gear Ac!d, which also, suprised me with it's quality. Yar, anyway I've looked at it the PSP is just better.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have both, but I've got mixed emotions for the both of them. The PSP is sexier, but the DS is more reliable. The PSP has an okay amount of decent to sub-par games at launch, DS had one great game and a bunch of crap.

I'll wait to cast my winner.
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Is there any truth to the rumor that the PSP can store music like an MP3 player? That's what my friend told me.
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Everyone's Grudge wrote:
Is there any truth to the rumor that the PSP can store music like an MP3 player? That's what my friend told me.

Err, yes, that's one of it's main features. You upload MP3 files to the memory stick and you can play them when ever you want. I heard that you could even play them while playing your games, but I haven't tried it out, and I would imagine it drains the battery like crazy...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tonberry

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks for telling me. That is good to know. Yes, I would imagine the battery would be drained a lot by that. I hope there is a wall outlet hookup so I could play and not drain the battery.
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I picked up the wall outlet thing just for that, but then I realised you need to buy a computer program to let you upload MP3's to your PSP, just a warning to all you out there, you need more then just a USB cord. arrg.

Tonberry

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well that's unfortunate. I'm not so sure I will buy one. The DS isn't that appealing either.

I never really liked handhelds all that well anyway.
Vincent Chase

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As much as Sony dominated the home console market, they're going to get their asses handed to them on a silver platter by the Nintendo DS...why, you ask?

Well, handhelds aren't as 'Mainstream' as consoles, not yet. So therefore most of the people who play them are younger than the average console gamer by a few years. If you were a 15 year old looking for a new handheld and had these two choices, which would you choose? The $189.99 Nintendo DS, or the $379.99 Sony PSP? Exactly.

This is also a battle fought on many fronts. Even if Sony does pull a miracle out of their hats and the PSP sells more than the DS, they still need to beat the GameBoy, GameBoy Advance and GameBoy Advance SP. The PSP was a risky move by Sony, considering Nintendo has 90% of the Global handheld market. Don't get me wrong, the PSP looks sweet, and if there is a Suikoden Anthology made for it I'll but it just for that, but it doesn't look like they'll be knocking Nintendo off anytime soon.

Gil-galad says:
Quote:
I've got both. And so far I have to say the PSP is far better. Despite the fact the DS has longer battery life, that's the one, and only thing it has over the PSP. They both have about the same amount of potential, but the PSP's games so far are just so much better. The DS's lauch was okay, but they were mostly ports of games already released, and the only one I felt was done well was the Mario 64 port. With the PSP I've picked up Lumines, which is really, really fun, Ridge Racer, an excellent rendition of the Arcade game, and Metal Gear Acid, which also, suprised me with it's quality. Yar, anyway I've looked at it the PSP is just better.

The PSP launch titles are (according to IGN) are:

Ape Escape: On The Loose
Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower
Dynasty Warriors
Gretzky NHL
Lumines
Metal Gear Acid
NBA
Need for Speed UnderGround: Rivals
NFL Street 2 Unleashed
Ridge Racer
Spiderman 2
Tiger Woods PGA
Tony Hawk Underground 2 Remix
Twisted Metal Head on
Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade
WipEout Pure
World Tour Soccer

I'm seeing either lots of ports or games with the same name as console titles. I agree that Nintendo is bad at idea rehashing (after all I own 4 different copies of Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and yes, we'll probably get a port sometime) but really, that's what launches are all about. Get the fans in by giving them something they know and like. You can't judge a system by it's launch, look at the current generation of consoles. All of their launches was terrible (with the only Killer app for any of the three systems being Halo), but now they have a library of excellent games, all of them.

But still my original verdict stands in my mind. The Nintendo DS will win this battle because the price is more attractive to younger gamers who typically play handhelds. I plan on getting one of the two, but not yet, not right away. The sweetest words to me that I can utter on this board are 'new Squaresoft RPG' (Screw Enix up their stupid...nevermind) or 'New Zelda Title'. Only when I hear these words will my mind be made up on which one to get.
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Heh, well I guess both had their share of console ports, it just felt like the the only good DS launch titles were ports of N64 games (Mario 64 is the only good game I have for the DS -_-). Whereas, the PSP, I bought three original titles, and each were very enjoyable so far. The only one that could be really called a port is Ridge Racer, but it's really an original Ridge Racer game, and comparing it to its predecessors is like comparing Gran Turismo 3 to Gran Turismo 4, they're different. ^^ Yar.

jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

boy the PSP is so advanced compairing to any other system out there it's not even funny. I'm sure less than half of the PS2 owners either don't even have a eithernet adapter or in case of the new system that comes with it, never uses it. I don't have xbox live cause of the costly fee and it limits itself since it's only for broadband, while Gamecube online basicly dose not exist. I got my system on launch and the online gameplay is amazing, it took me seconds to get online as the system picked up the wireless internet signal instantly and the gameplay is very smooth. Personally I don't even really like to go online with my PS2 for anything other than FFXI cause it's a pain in the ass and half of the people have very bad connections, but to think now I can sit down at school and get online for PS2 quality gaming even faster than the PS2 at home is amazing. It's a shame that my DS may never get picked up again, and it's also sad that the non online playing half of PS2 and Xbox owners are still sitting at home going "I don't need a PSP cause my system at home is better..."

Other than gaming, the system is just a dream to anyone who likes to play with different types of media. I got a 258 mb chip and have so far loaded on Suikoden I-III+Suikogaiden opening movies and awsome Xenosaga clips to watch anytime I please, I love my handheld media player but the PSP screen sure beats the 1.9 inch screen. $250+ is worth every penny, all that is needed now is for sony to provide us with some offical software for the PC side of things to make converstion and transfer easier, plus some cheaper but much bigger media chips or a harddrive.

You can't really compair the PSP to anything else in my opinion, cause if you only have 30 min in a day to play a handheld game system just for it's choices of games while you are on the bus or something, than you might as well get a GBA SP, hell if you have good lighting save yourself $30 and get the old GBA. But if it comes to MP3 playing/video playing/gameplaying the only thing better than a PSP would be a gaming ready laptop.
Beethoven4567

Sacred Guards

39804 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would choose the PSP over the DS anytime, simply due to its promising lineup of present and future games. Sony would definitely port some of its PS2 exclusives over to the PSP, and rumors are high that a new Final Fantasy game is going to come out soon on the PSP( FFVII-2, perhaps? )

I predict in the future the PSP would overtake the DS in worldwide sales and be the No.1 portable gaming machine in the world. I too, would buy a PSP soon after the prices drop, and more games, particularly brand new RPGs, are released on the PSP.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sony can't port over PS2 exclusives for two reasons:

-They don't have the right; only the publisher does
-The PSP is graphically weaker than the PS2, and as such could not handle it unless downgraded.

Also, you'll notice that if we talk future games, the DS has just an appealing lineup, if not moreso (especially in the RPG-genre, with games like Lunar Genesis, Xenosaga, and Baten Kaitos coming up). And presently, the PSP's launch titles have been nothing short of disappointing. Untold Legends is a botched hack-n-slash, EA's games are essentially watered-down console titles with the exact same price, and games like Darkstalkers and Dynasty Warriors abuse loading times like nothing else.
Tonberry

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I hear you people talking mostly of old games. Why would I get either system if I already have them on a platform? IT sounds like it is a rip off to get either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: