Suikoden Uncanny and Infamous Kriegspiel Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Do you think the war on terrorism will ever end?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rune hunter

236548 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject: Do you think the war on terrorism will ever end? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well Its been more than 5 years since this "war on terrorism" started. Do you think it will ever end? Will we ever truly find peace?
Scott

Demon King's Ambition

41 Potch
1150 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Declaring war on terrorism is ridiculous. You can't really declare war on an action..an Idea and expect to win. That's like declaring war on walking.

So, no. I don't think it will ever end in the sense of terrorism coming to an end.

To relive those Halcyon days of youth
Rune hunter

236548 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Declaring war on terrorism is ridiculous. You can't really declare war on an action..an Idea and expect to win. That's like declaring war on walking.

Yeah I feel the same way but does that mean we will have to be eternally vigilent now? Forever wary of another "9-11" Or in the my country's case another bombing?

Sigh* it seems so depressing that we may never has true peace on earth.
Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have to agree. The whole idea of "The War on Terror" just seems well stupid to me. It just re-inforces the image that America thinks that its the police for the world and thats its single handedly gonna wipe out terrorism.

How they plan to do this by the way completly eludes me. You cant destroy an ideal. "The War on Terrorism" is clearly what they were going for but Terror? It kinda makes me laugh. But the actual results of this war are less than funny and America are more or less trapped in Iraq now.

A change in any country will bring about instability but Iraq was in turmoil before America arrived. I dont know what they were expecting to happen? When they removed Suddam, the Iraqi people would just accept America.

A comedian I saw probably put it the best "America has brought alot more freedom to Iraq but nothing has really changed for example you can now get tatoos in Iraq. You can either choose 'I love you Mom' or 'Death to America'. Id go with 'Death to America' you never know how your feelings for your mother might change.

Blue Rookies

294148 Potch
4022 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't think one can clearly wipe off terrorism unless of course you wipe out and kill millions of people because this is the only way to kill off an ideology. I think America is trying to just contain this ideology like what they did to communism.
Splendid Monkey

Monkey`s Mad Marauders

96384 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Rune hunter wrote:
Sigh* it seems so depressing that we may never has true peace on earth.

The world has never known true peace. It just wasn`t designed that way. Conflict, in one form or another, is what makes the world go round.

Philosophical issues aside: Scott hit the nail on the head: declaring 'war on terrorism' is a lost cause and was nothing more than the US government`s way of using of the people`s emotions in order to justify the use of military force in the middle east.

Terror will never cease to exist and I don`t believe the war will ever end as long as America doesn`t have full control over the middle east.
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The "War on Terror" will hopefully end when Bush's term ends at the end of 2008. A new US president will hopefully reverse course and do something a tad more beneficial for all concerned parties.
Tendou Souji

CLIMAX JUMP!

758170 Potch
2000 Soldiers
2225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Replying to blue, and to quote V: "Ideas are bulletproof."

You can't ever wipe out an idea. And even if you think you have, it'll wound up coming back some day, some way.

But anyways, some day maybe. Some day. World doesn't just go and change itself, but hopefully somebody'll do the job.
Rune hunter

236548 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
The world has never known true peace. It just wasn`t designed that way. Conflict, in one form or another, is what makes the world go round.

True but near the end of 90s the world was pretty peaceful. I mean at least the thought of war was pretty much a far cry from people's minds. Now it feels like its on every countries door step.
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, the world seemed somewhat peaceful back in the ene of the 90's, but that also depends on what you consider as "the world."
There was at least about 30 armed conflicts going on back then, mostly in Africa (Somalia, Sudan, Republic of Congo, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Rwanda, etc to name a few) but also in other places--such as the civil war in Sri Lanka which has been going on for more than a decade now. Yemen also had internal revolts back then... and the caucasus region had numerous problems, mostly ethnic uprisings such as in Dagestan, Cherkesia, Kalmuk and we can't forget Chechnya. Fights between Kurdish separatists (PKK) existed in Turkey for quite a while, and still continues, while some states are technically at war, although there has been no fighting--such as North Korea / South Korea and Taiwan / China.

These conflicts may not have been reported all that much in the news back then, but it was still going on.
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The war on terrorism will eventually end. It won't end with end of the terrorism (i.e. we won't "win"), but someone at some point will stop it.

I've never had a problem with the idea of the war though. Putting a stop to terrorism was a nice idea, though impractical. Even attacking Afghanistan was ok as far as I am concerned as they had connections to an attack on the US. But now, the policy is stretched to make far too many actions seem reasonable. I expect the next administration will put a stop to a lot of military actions.

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The best example of why the war on terrorism would never really end in the minds of its people is the sense of siege the Israelis feel since their nation was created. To them terrorism has been a way of life for over 50 years and there's really no end in sight. In terms of fighting terrorism, or containing it as some have mentioned, the United States is quite new to such an endeavor. The United States as a nation has always been sort of detached when it came to the subject. For starters, the country as a whole was never attacked by a foreign group and/or a domestic insurgency while other nations have been dealing with it for decades.

The United States has always seen itself, for right or wrong, as the architect of its own destiny. I don't know why people seem so surprised by how the nation and its government reacted to 9/11 the way it did. This nation has always acted in a unilateral fashion when outside forces begin to encroach on its sovereignty. It goes all the way back to the Barbary Wars of the early 1800's. The United States as a whole believe that no one else but itself will solve problems plaguing it. Despite helping create the United Nations, the United States has seen itself either alone many times in dealing with crisis which directly or indirectly affect it.

I do think that changing presidents beginning in 2008 will not change the problem in terms of terrorism against the United States since it's not a specific political party Muslim extremists and terrorists hate and target but Americans as a whole. People seem to think that by getting rid of Bush the world will right itself back to pre-9/11 status quo and that anyone outside of Bush will lessen terrorist attacks. That's naivete at its highest. At its most basic common denominator the terrorists bent on attacking Americans do so because that is what they want. In their idealogy the destruction of America (and Israel) is the ultimate goal of their cause. If it means going attacking America's allies to fulfill that goal then they will do so.

So, in the end what people should be wishing for to see an end to the terrorism they think the United States caused by its action is to see the destruction of the United States as a nation, culture and a people. If that doesn't stop terrorism then I would assume people may have gotten it wrong that the United States is the cause of it all.

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just to clarify, all I said was that the "War on Terror" will likely end when Bush is out of office, but I didn't say terrorism will end or anything. Just making sure nobody mistook what I said.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Vextor wrote:
Just to clarify, all I said was that the "War on Terror" will likely end when Bush is out of office, but I didn't say terrorism will end or anything. Just making sure nobody mistook what I said.

Well, that's a different thing altogether then. Though I have a feeling that the "War On Terror" will be replaced with something just as catchy-sounding once someone else takes control of the White House after 2008.

Hungry Drunken TigerMen

569802 Potch
3084 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

War on Terror is a dumb definition.
Terrorism is not likely to end when Bush leaves the White House, there has always been terrorism and conflicts, most of them being ignored by the way.
The problem is uncle Bush has been an IDIOT. When 11 September happened, the whole world was supporting the United States (and please dont bring those images of Palestinian people clapping on the streets, those were images older than 11 September). Afghanistan war was ok, supported by the ONU and it was against the Talibans, who had clearly supported Al Qaeda. Instead of focusing in doing things well in Afghanistan, Dubya goes and declares war on Saddam to get oil and to please Bush senior. Iraq yeah, a country ruled by a dictator, a militar dictator, not a fanatic religious...

Changing the subject, some people think that terrorism began on 11 september... Some countries like Spain and Great Bretain can tell you thats not true at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: