Suikoden Utopian and Inspirational Knowledge Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Indonesian Earthquake 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kohaku

Red Veil

309182 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Indonesian Earthquake 2 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

More bad news in Indonesia
Last night, about 8 hours before my post, there's a big eathquake, about 8.7 richter, it centered mostly on the island "Nias", where approximately 290 people died. Nias is an island just southeast of Aceh. The earthquake is so big that even the people in Malaysia fell it too. The news are from CNN, go there if you wanted to know it.

So the ordeal haven't stop after the Tsunami... I wonder when it will reach my home in Java...Well, hopefully, may God give safety to all of us everywhere in this world.

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Because the richter scale is a logarithmic value, 8.7 is about 1/6th in strength compared to 9.0 (which was how strong the earthquake last December was).

There's no real Tsunami caused by this quake. If there were any, it would have already hit Sumatra. The tremor would still do a lot of damage though.
Kohaku

Red Veil

309182 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The earthquake actually was felt all over Sumatra. Electricity was out from Aceh to Padang in west Sumatra that is pretty far, hundreds of miles from there. The people in Sumatra was said to be in a great panic, afraid there would be a next Tsunami.

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm sure it was felt in a very wide area. 8.7 is still a heck of a powerful earthquake. Not all quakes produce tsunami though, because tsunami depends a lot on the depth of the quake as well as the profile of the ocean floor.
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

SARSadmin wrote:
Because the richter scale is a logarithmic value, 8.7 is about 1/6th in strength compared to 9.0 (which was how strong the earthquake last December was).

There's no real Tsunami caused by this quake. If there were any, it would have already hit Sumatra. The tremor would still do a lot of damage though.

Are you sure on those number's SARS? I calcualted it being about half the strength. I was always taught that .1 on the richter scale is about 1.26 more powerful and calculating the numbers, 1.26 is very close to the tenth root of ten. 1.26^7 is about 5.04. Am I missing something?
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I got it from yahoo news that quoted AP, so who knows. I'm no mathematician.
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow, I read about that. It seems like there are more natural disasters than there used to be recently. Big, bad ones at that.
Weyoun

Jem'Hadar

221521 Potch
100 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

God this scares me even though i am very far from Indonesia.

All the weather related disasters this planet has seen recently makes me think this is something from a movie about the planet dieing.

I was thinking the same thing when there was no snow here in New York pn christmas, and it was snowing in New Mexico! O man im just making myself more scared.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You're worrying yourself over nothing then.

This latest earthquake, as frightning as it surely is to those in the area, would not be getting the coverage it is if it wasn't for the Boxing Day tsunami.

It's unfortunate, but to be expected along the region. It's only heightened media attention in the area following the tsunami that has made people actually give a damn. Last year, this would just be a small note on the evening news.

Casualties are few, and damage is minor, especially when compared to what happened last time. That's more than enough to be thankful for when it comes to things like this.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Weyoun

Jem'Hadar

221521 Potch
100 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

yea your right i guess it was just a coincidence that they are all happening now.

Yea my 200th post!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The casualties weren't really that small. I guess that is a matter of opinion, but I think anywhere over 50 people is big.

The Black Knight, I had the same feeling. There are many scary things going on. Just be optimistic and don't think about it. That's what I do.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You'd be foolish to consider it large compared to what they've already experienced. Earthquakes like this are not altogether uncommon, it's just that normally no-one cares. Only the fact that there was a giant tidal wave some months back, which captured the general populations imagination, has changed this for the time being.

Though I wouldn't advocate closing my eyes to the world and 'ignoring it' either. These things happened and they've been happening for a long time before it was all thrust into your face in a media frenzy, people will just have to accept it.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually the intesity and frequency of natural disasters has increased over the last 10 years.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kohaku

Red Veil

309182 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
You'd be foolish to consider it large compared to what they've already experienced. Earthquakes like this are not altogether uncommon, it's just that normally no-one cares. Only the fact that there was a giant tidal wave some months back, which captured the general populations imagination, has changed this for the time being.

No, it's not common. There were very little earthquake in Indonesia. For example, me, on my 18 years living in Indonesia have only heard about 2 earthquake happening here, and none of them kill someone. We should not see severy disaster by the number of the dead. From your words, it looks like you saying that hundreds of people dies is just a small casualties.

Sorry then if my words seems offensive...after all I'm the closest member to the disaster, and some of my friends (The BEM-UI) have already went to Nias to give aid.

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Firstly, the number of such disasters will always continue to wax and wane due to their nature. This isn't something we can vaugely pin on "modern times" or use to yell at global pollution or some other cause. If you need something to blame, it's simple bad luck.

Anyway, when I said "not uncommon" I hardly meant an earthquake a day. Tremors happen, most go unreported because they simply don't do anything or cause anything news-worthy. If there's a tremor miles out at sea and it causes nothing more than a small splash do you think anyone is taking note beside the most relevant of agencies? Even Ireland gets tremors, it's just that we dont notice so we don't care. They still happen however.

I consider myself a realist and while I'm not pleased by this (the exact opposite, in fact) I'm not going to pretend I'm not relieved that the casualties are minor compared to what COULD have happened, and what HAS happened in the past.

Your words aren't offensive at all, and to be honest, I'd probably be a lot more offensive if the roles were reversed but as it is, I'm going to just have to react and post as I always do. While trying to use a certain amount of tact. My words probably came off as insensitive, and if they did, I apologise, but that's merely a side-effect of my relief that there wasn't a second tsunami in four months.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: