Suikoden Ugly and Irenic Karma Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Taito Legends 2: best gaming compilation of all time?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Taito Legends 2: best gaming compilation of all time? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I got Taito Legends 2. I am pretty positive no one here is interested but I'll post my thoughts anyways.

+ Pretty decent loading, nice interface I guess. Great start screen and menu music.
+ Mass amounts of arcade games from various genres across the board. Lots of variety here.
+ Tons of rare, JP only games are on this and any arcade gameplay fan owes themselves the pleasure of buying this because it's quite an opportunity. Not only for retro enthusiasts, but arcade gaming enthusiasts in general. If you like 2d games, you have to check this out. Many games people have never had the opportunity to play on consoles ever before are featured in this compilation. This is a REAL retro compilation. It doesn't have a bunch of stuff you've played 1000 x, it features games that have NEVER been released outside of Japan, and playing this stuff is a joy. This is how it is done Capcom, Konami, Sega, and fucking Namco of all companies. I expect Rent-A-Hero on the next Sega Genesis Collection, Sega! I want imports that have never been released outside of Japan on the Virtual Console, Nintendo!
+ I have played some of the games on this compilation prior to playing it. I own a few actually (like G Darius and Raystorm). I can safely say that these are arcade perfect, and experience little if any lag. The psx version of G Darius for instance, lags like a mother at times, but I have had little problem with this version. ROCK.
+ If you have any interest in shoot em ups/shmups at ALL, this is a must buy. Every form of shmup is represented in this compilation: horizontal, vertical (with it's classic aspect ratio represented here. No stretched vertical shmups on this compilation!), even non conventional shmups like Kiki Kaikai...It is worth it for G Darius and Raystorm alone if you have never played them.
+ $20 price tag.

- The fact that the people put different games in the different versions is really lame. What's even lamer is that North America only got the ps2 version while Europe got pc, ps2, and xbox. We get to miss out on the awesome Don Don Pachi, and other games like Rayforce, and Bubble Symphony. I just can't grasp why they did such a thing beyond cash grabbing, but it was really fucking retarded.
- No Raycrisis! I would like a Layer Section (Ray series) collection for the psp!

Elevator Action Returns (II in our version): Excellent arcade gaming as expected. I never knew this game existed until this compilation was announced but I liked playing Elevator Action on the NES when I was a kid. This game, however, is so much better. Not only is the action faster, it's much more gritty and ...just well, it's just much more fun. I will be coming back to this game a lot.

G Darius - This game is as awesome as ever, and now with 99% less lag! The arcade version doesn't have Boss Rush mode that is present in the psx version (is there a Saturn version?), but no matter. It's worth it for the lack of lag.

Qix - This game is fun as hell and very stylish despite it's age. It has interesting art direction, sounds, and music going for it. I knew the Art class mini game in Bully felt familiar. I have seen this game before in some forms, but I have never played the original arcade game. It's really fun.

Raystorm - Another game I own for the psx, and still as awesome as ever. I wish it had Raycrisis on here, but it's no big deal. Still as awesome as ever.

Darius Gaiden - I have never had the opportunity to play this entry in the Darius series, but it is greatness. It's not better than G Darius imo, but still good horizontal shmup fun.

Kiki Kaikai - For those of you who have ever played Pocky and Rocky on the SNES, you should be familiar with this game. It's the first game in the series, and while it lacks a second character it's still good stuff. Like Pocky and Rocky, it feels like a beat em up mixed with the gameplay and enemy patterns of a shmup. It rocks. It's nothing on Pocky and Rocky, but damn if it doesn't get me excited for the new Kiki Kai Kai game coming out in Japan this summer. It better come out Stateside.

Space Invaders 95 - I think that so far this is my favorite game in the entire compilation. I have never particularly cared for Space Invaders prior to playing this, but it is great fun. The levels are varied, enemy patterns aren't predictable, and the game is extremely strategic compared to other shmups on the market. It sports cutesy visuals, and while that's no so bad, it's really colorful and stylish.

I am sure this compilation will keep me busy for a while. Arcade gameplay fans, check this thing out pronto.

Kiki Kaikai

Space Invaders 95

Elevator Action 2 (Returns)

G Darius

Ray Storm

Bust A Move Again

Gekirindan

Clepatra Fortune

Camel Try

Puchi Carat

Qix

Space Invaders DX

And this here list is just the tip of the iceberg. This compilation features 40 titles and I think I can safely say that it is the best gaming compilation I've ever played. It covers all genres, from sports, action, puzzle, beat em up, shoot em ups (shmups), platformer...and games that simply have no classification such as Qix and Elevator Action Returns.

Any gamer who has any interest in arcade gaming must have this set, and that is no exaggeration.

Last edited by Himuro on Tue May 22, 2007 3:29 pm; edited 3 times in total
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Taito Legends 2: best gaming compilation of all time? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Himuro wrote:
- The fact that the people put different games in the different versions is really gay. What's even gayer is that North America only got the ps2 version while Europe got pc, ps2, and xbox.

I think after all the times Europe has gotten screwed in gaming releases over the years, the debt is still not paid. :P

This collection looks interesting however, I think I'm going to look into it.
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Taito Legends 2: best gaming compilation of all time? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hayashi Ujitsuna wrote:
Himuro wrote:
- The fact that the people put different games in the different versions is really gay. What's even gayer is that North America only got the ps2 version while Europe got pc, ps2, and xbox.

I think after all the times Europe has gotten screwed in gaming releases over the years, the debt is still not paid. :P

This collection looks interesting however, I think I'm going to look into it.

Yeah, Europe has been screwed over 1000 x times so...it's not a big deal I guess.

If I remember correctly, European Xbox games work on North American Xbox's. I may have to import and see..
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: