Suikoden Uncouth and Irenic Kosher Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

28 Weeks Later (postwatch discussion)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: 28 Weeks Later (postwatch discussion) Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So, I was able to get a ticket to a media advance screening last night over in San Francisco. When I first heard about the announcement a couple years ago that a sequel to 28 Days Later was going into production I was quite excited at the prospect yet a small part of me was also worried. So, here's my review of what I saw last night.

28 Weeks Later - Juan Carlos Fresnadillo (review)

Danny Boyle and Alex Garland's film was done in such a way that a sequel was almost bound to fail. Their film was a horror movie alright, but it was really an exercise in experimental filmmaking. Any film that was to follow it up will have to contend with the cool factor of not just a twist on the zombie theme (even they are not zombies) but the choice in music and look of the film. All I can say is that 28 Weeks Later doesn't disappoint and even surpasses the original film in certain aspects.

Spanish director Juan Carlos Fresnadillo does a great job of trying to stick to the premise begun by Boyle and Garland in 28 Days Later and adding his own signature to the sequel. The film begins with a scene which encapsulates what someone who never saw the original film needs to know about what to expect with this one. We're introduced to Don (played by a gaunt and quite haunted Robert Carlyle) and Alice (Catherine McCormack) trying to survive with several others at their English countryside cottage just outside London during the first couple weeks of the Rage-virus outbreak. This prologue shows just how tenuous any form of safe haven can be once sentimentality overrides the primal instinct for self-preservation. Don is given a choice of choosing sentimentality to try and save someone he cares about and maybe die in the process or follow the basic need for self-preservation in time of extreme danger and distress. Don picks the latter and we're shown how horrible his choice was but at the same time how plausible a decision it was when put into context. If we were put in a similar situation could we honestly say that we wouldn't had made the same choice which Don took. The scene with Don running across the open field with dozens upon dozens of Rage-infected people chasing after him was quite chilling.

The movie goes through an introductory credit sequence explaining the timeline since Don's escape from the cottage. We're told that the British Isles was quickly quarantined once authorities saw how futile it was to try and save it from the ravages of Rage in the first couple weeks. Following-up on the final scenes in the original film, we know now that those infected by Rage would soon die out due to starvation and that 28 weeks after the first sign of outbreak the world outside of the British Isles have decided that it was now time to clean out the last vestiges of Rage-infected victims who haven't starved to death and begin reconstruction and repopulation of the country. The U.S.-led NATO force in charge of this monumental project is led by U.S. Army general Stone (The Wire's excellent Idris Elba) and have cordoned off a safe sanctuary in London's Isle of Dogs where British citizens who escaped the initial outbreak or were outside the Islands when it began would be housed in while London was slowly sanitized.

This is where Don has been sent and given a job as a manager helping with getting London back on its feet. We're shown the arrival of Don's two children who were safely abroad in Spain when the outbreak first hit England. Their reunion is heartfelt though bittersweet as Don must answer his children's questions about what happened to their mother. Let's just say that Don's explanation is not exactly accurate. The Tammy and Andy (played by newcomers Imogen Poot and Mackintosh Muggleton) take his answers at face value but still end up sneaking out of the protected Green Zone to get to their old cottage to pick-up some items of sentimental value. This is the only part of the movie which seemed implausible and made me realize that once again a horror movie ended up with some characters doing dumb things that would lead to nothing but death and destruction. What the two kids find once they get to the cottage marks the beginning of re-infection and the extreme policies enacted by the military to contain the problem. But containment doesn't hold and soon enough a Code Red order is given to all military personnel.

It is once the Code Red is given that most filmgoers will see the allegorical similarities of U.S. policies and tactics in their War against Terror, especially in Iraq. While I do not prescribe to this notion, Fresnadillo handled the situation well. I say I do not prescribe to the notion that the second-half of the movie is a direct condemnation of U.S. war against terror and occupation of Iraq, because it's a theme in apocalyptic movies that's been used before there was a war on terror. It is in this second-half where 28 Weeks Later reminded me a lot of George A. Romero's underappreciated horror film, The Crazies. Just like in that film, the military in 28 Weeks Later don't seem to be heartless about their reaction to the new outbreak and break of containment. Instead their overreaction to the whole deteriorating situation looks to be born more out of desperation and an inability to comprehend the best and most humane way to combat the crisis. As it's always mentioned in other forms of fiction, the military is a blunt instrument and never a subtle one. The Rage infection and those infected seem to only be stopped when using the most blunt procedures and tactics, but such ways also have a tendency to cause much collateral damage to the innocent.

28 Weeks Later is much more epic in scope that 28 Days Later and it is in that which it surpasses the original film. While the first film is more the lives of two disparating groups of survivors and how both groups attempts to survive shows how quickly one could fall from civilized behavior while another continues to hold on to it, the sequel shows that in the end even people with the best of intentions will succumb to the basic instinct of survival with any means necessary. The established shots of London overhead and down on the ground empty and lifeless really brings the apocalyptic nature of the movie with the force of a sledgehammer. These scenes followed up with the firebombing of Canary Wharf really highlights just how much more grimmer and nihilistic in tone and scope Frescadillo's sequel over Boyle's more hopeful one. It is quite a surprise that its the actions of the youngest and most innocent (as children are usually protrayed in horror movies) which causes a new cycle of outbreak and ultimately the fall of the attempt to bring normalcy back to the British Isles.

I would say that --- even though the movie doesn't really involve zombies but zombie-like people --- 28 Weeks Later actually resembles George A. Romero's Living Dead films more than Boyle's 28 Days Later. While Boyle's film took some of its basic themes from Romero's work, he still didn't go far enough. Fresnadillo took the theme of humanity being more dangerous than the Rage-infected ones during the original film's third act and expands on it with 28 Weeks Later. There's a deep sense of pessimism and cutthroat survival instincts inherent in the film's themes. The only form of humanity to be seen actually comes from the same Americans whose attempts of reconstruction ends up an exercise in total annihilation of the problem even if it includes the innocent being destroyed in the process.

As a sequel to 28 Days Later, Fresnadillo's film shared some stylistic and thematic qualities with the original film, but ends up becoming a wholly independent work (one could watch this sequel without having seen the original and still understand what was going on). Where the original film only touches the surface of the Rage virus doomsday effect on the British Isles and its population, 28 Weeks Later ceases that basic notion and gives the viewer a first-hand look at its aftermath and, later on, how it looks when an outbreak occurs in an area packed with survivors. For a fan of Romero's classic zombie epics I do prefer Fresnadillo's work and the look of his film over the original one, but he does sacrifice some level of characterization to keep the film's tone and frenetic pacing in the latter-half from being bogged down. The film ends on a really downbeat note even as survivors make it to safety. This film really becomes an exercise in nihilism more than what Danny Boyle and Alex Garland were willing to do with the original film.

In the end, 28 Weeks Later brings over enough of what made the first film such a cult, and later on, a mainstream horror success to be considered a sequel that matches the first one in quality, and at times even surpasses the original in certain aspects. The acting is actually very good despite some characters not being fleshed-out more thoroughly, but I find this understandable to keep the frantic pace of the film from start to finish from being slowed down. For fans of the first film I don't think this sequel will be a disappointment. It may not reach the same creative heights for some fans but it surely won't ruin the experience of having seen the original. The film also introduces a new face to the genre world with the excellent work turned in by Spanish director Juan Carlos Fresnadillo. In addition to Alexandre Aja from France and now Fresnadillo, the world of horror is getting a nice infusion of young talent. 9/10

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sorry, I havn't read your review Tullaryx as I'm assuming it contained some spoilers (even minor ones). If it doesn't though, that's great and I'll read it later!

However, I've heard some very good reviews from both critics and public. I'm very excited about this movie now that most of my doubts have been succesfully crushed.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Axiose wrote:
Sorry, I havn't read your review Tullaryx as I'm assuming it contained some spoilers (even minor ones). If it doesn't though, that's great and I'll read it later!

However, I've heard some very good reviews from both critics and public. I'm very excited about this movie now that most of my doubts have been succesfully crushed.

Oh, I've kept it as spoiler-free as possible. No spoiling of twists in the movie's story.

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Great review Tullaryx! That's pretty much the stuff that I've been reading as well.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was really pleased with the movie. I didn't think it was as good as the first one, but definitely a worthwhile sequel.

*Spoilers*
I only have a few minor complaints.

1. The mother being alive. I liked that she was alive, but I would have wanted to see some sort of flashback to her escaping from the house. There was the brief one of her running through the woods, but I'd really like to know how she escaped from being cornered by that many infected.

2. The army's plan for saving the civilians. When they locked them into the one big room, you'd think they would have put stronger doors to prevent the infected from getting in. Along with guards.

3. The Dad. I don't like 'head zombies' in films like these. I also thought it was weird that he'd be able to escape all of those locked doors while being infected when he first turned.

All in all I was very pleased. The action was good, the infected were well done and there was good character development- the only thing I think that needed help was some better transitions.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, the so-called "hero infected" was one of the few quibbles I had with the film. I think in regards to the civilians being put in a containment level which had doors that should've been better reinforced I would put this on the notion that no one --- even the military --- really understood just how strong the infected were. The one thing I did like about that scene was in showing just how quickly the Rage virus could spread in a tightly packed group of people. There was a quick scene in the original film where one of the survivors who rescued Jim told his tale about how he lost his parents and sister while trying to navigate through a densely-packed group of people who suddenly and quickly turned into Rage-infecteds from the back right up to the front of the pack.

The Light Fantastic

59113 Potch
0 Soldiers
515589 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I couldn't stand the beginning of this movie. I guess I'm not supposed to watch zombie movies. I want to see a movie where people fight back against an infection they didn't cause, not people trying to get out of situation that their own stupid decisions got them in.

Stupid decision #1: Mom letting the kid in the house in the very beginning. Sorry kid, but this is a zombie movie. If you're not in the house when the boards go up, you stay out. No exceptions.

Stupid decision #2: I'm mom and I'm running from the zombies. Oh no, the kid that I should't have let in the house has disappeared! Lets take time away from our escape to look for him. There he is in the closet! Instead of grabbing him by the hair and bolting for the window, I'm going to stand in the middle of the room motionless and look around a lot. Then the zombies will bust the down down. Then they will stand patiently in the doorway and not attack me for a few seconds. They will give me enough time to say a few words to my husband and give him an anguished look. Then they will attack me. I had ample time to try to escape while the zombies just stood there. But I did not. Why? Who knows?

Stupid decision #3: I'm going to go into the forbidden area for a picture of mom. I know the army said there are still disease-carrying animals out there and there may be zombies we didn't know about, and how its very very VERY usafe, but hey. Screw that. Were movie main-character kids and we're invulnerable. Everyone knows that. The army should have capped both of those kids when they found them in the house. Blam blam. They were warned, they didn't listen. They're dead. End of story. They could have (and did, really) destroy the entire society because they were stupid. Granted, security was pretty lax in allowing them to oh so stealthily sneak out, but come on...

Stupid decision #4: If I am a military doctor and know that this kid has a medical secret that could save us all, at no time will I even mention it to him. I'll tell anyone else who will listen but I'll keep the kid in the dark. It'll be a fun surprise that way! YAY!

Stupid decision #5: I know that I am a helicopter pilot and I said repetaedly that I cannot take civilians out of the city because of the risk of spreading infection (and how the army will shoot me out of the sky if they catch me trying), but these kids are just sooooo damn cute! OK, get in!

The only reasonably intelligent people in the film were the army. You're supposed to hate them and hate dad, but I thought everything they did was justified.

Dad got into the med lab using his "all-access" pass he showed the kids earlier. I love it when maintenance and operations supervisors can get into classified military installations without anyone saying anything. How he got OUT of the locked room while he was raging is a totally different story...

Once the people started running from the zombies it got much much better. Visually and mood-wise it was very well done, they jusy should have rewritten the beginning.

Oh, and they killed off all the dead weight really quick in this one. Of course the principals team up with a small group of people to make their escape. Of course these people will die one by one as the movie goes on until only leads remain. There were three of these people and two of them died within seconds of their leaving the hiding place! The other one lasted three whole scenes. They don't play around in this movie!

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, as I like to say about zombie movies, the most logical actions are usually the very last things people do. I think even in real life people would react like this or, at the very least, make their own share of stupid decisions. Remember the military is a disciplined and one-track mind institution. They see themselves as a blunt instrument to solve things through violence. I know many people who I saw the movie with quite appalled at the steps the military took to stop the infection.

I do agree with you in that of all the groups in the movie the military were the most level-headed and direct when it came to dealing with the Rage infection. But even they were unprepared as to how strong the infected really were and how quickly it could spread. As for the pilot, I think if I saw those kids come into the rendezvous spot in the end and they weren't raging I probably would've done the same. Anyone who could survive through the hell of the initial outbreak, the firebombing, chemical gassing and then avoid the groups of kill-teams probably not infected. But then again not everyone knew about carriers. I think carriers themselves if taken to a secured area would be beneficial since they do seem to have an immunity.

As I mentioned in my review, the movie really demonstrated how in extreme crisis sentimentality always will be a cause for problems when what is needed is a logical and emotionless process of making decision. For that the military really came through in spades.

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

First off, before I say anything else, let me say that I enjoyed the film. I liked the original 28 Days Later, and I thought many things about the sequel were excellent as well. The way the film was shot, the music, all sorts of things - really amazing. The way both movies were produced is sort of a new take on a zombie movie. I'm not a tremendous fan of the "traditional" zombie movie, to be quite honest. I'm sure many of you will want to flame me for this, my favourite "zombie movies" to date are probably 28 Days Later, Resident Evil, and now 28 Weeks Later.

From here on out, things get a bit spoilerific. I apologize, but I'm more interested in getting my thoughts down than in protecting people who haven't seen the movie. If you don't want things spoiled, please read no further!

Anyway. I did have a few qualms with the way that the movie got about the action. I can forgive the military for somehow failing to notice the kids escaping until the last moment, but that's about where I stop forgiving mistakes. Some of the things that happened in the movie seemed unrealistic to me to the point where they would have taken me out of a lesser movie - luckily, they didn't really come to the forefront of my thought process until I was discussing the film with my friends right after we'd finished watching the credits.

Three main issues strike me, aside from a couple that were already mentioned:

Issue #1: How long does it really take to catch a couple of kids leaving a zone that's surrounded literally on all sides by troops? Doyle sees them escaping, which means they have a direction, and yet the two kids manage to get way outside of quarantine and screw everything up before they even see a containment force pursuing them? I'm a bit confused. I would think that the army would take this much more seriously given their dire warnings about how dangerous it is outside of the Green Zone.

Issue #2: I realize that Don is some kind of manager, but I really found it odd that he would have access to the secure medical facility where they were keeping a Rage-infected in quarantine. I find it even more odd that no one would be guarding her, despite the extreme danger of anyone else coming in contact with her. If the medical facility was open to non-military personnel, I simply can't believe they wouldn't take the precaution of posting a guard!

Issue #3: The containment plan for the civilians to get them into the holding area seemed very ill-considered. No guards on either door? Apparently no locks on either door? I realize that perhaps they might not have appreciated how strong the Rage-infected were - but the doors to the outside were broken by the mob trying to flee, not the infected! A panicking mob trying to escape didn't factor into the military's master plan? Seems odd.

Honestly, the actual actions taken by the military seemed perfectly reasonable to me. They began by trying to completely prevent further casualties, both military and civilian. Once that failed, they tried to protect civilian lives. Once it become obvious that there was no way to stop the Rage-infection if they didn't simply start firing, it was time to take that step. If they weren't willing to do everything in their power to protect people, they might as well not do anything at all. It's not like the troops were wholly un-moved by the plight of the civilians as is obvious by the actions of Doyle, but they were prepared to do what they had to do. Makes sense to me.

Tullaryx wrote:
As I mentioned in my review, the movie really demonstrated how in extreme crisis sentimentality always will be a cause for problems when what is needed is a logical and emotionless process of making decision. For that the military really came through in spades.

I think this is a very succinct, and very accurate, way of describing the film. This is indeed a very striking aspect of the film - and I liked it.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have just been to see 28 Weeks Later and let me just say i loved it!

Wataru and Parallax pointed out my thoughts on this movie too but hey its still a great movie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: