Suikoden Uncouth and Inspirational Keystone Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Vietnam War Question?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Masaya

Flying Fusillades

222963 Potch
75 Soldiers
3635 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Vietnam War Question? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

According to some people, the United States fought on the wrong side in Vietnam. I disagree. In Vietnam, the United States WAS the wrong side. What do you all of you think?

imaginary soldiers

935122 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's hard to tell who was on the right side during the war. At the time, the United States was trying to stop the spread of communism and preserve the democratic government. In fact, Ho Chi Minh asked the United States first for aid gaining independence because he was impressed with Democracy. Although the United States was against imperialism and established colonies, it decided to aid France instead. Ho Chi Minh had no other no other choice but to go to the next super power, the Soviet Union.

Was the United States really on the right side? My answer would be yes...but I'm biased because I probably wouldn't even exist if the US hadn't fought the war.
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

From my understanding, Vietnam was just a non-home soil scene to wage the Cold War without making everyone afraid that they were fighting Russia outright. Same with Korea, but Vietnam hit harder. I don't know exactley what makes me think this and I'm no expert but I thought it was originally just a stage for the Cold War. I could be wrong considering my US History teacher was a bit on the fringe and that whole year was extremely difficult once my teacher died a week into 2nd quarter and we had 3 replacements for her, the longest one being for the 2nd semester and having lots of arguable opinions.

Anyways, if you mean to say that US shouldn't have been there at all because of imperialist intention, than I think you're misinterpretting the situation. I don't think the states ever wanted control over Vietnam which nixes the thought of this being expansionistic. I think we stayed in for too long and did more damage than good in the long run, but I can't say that I think we were evil in this event.

I think America is "the bad guy" when it is imperial. Most other times, I tend to side with the States I guess in a show of devotion to my homeland.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Seraphblade

imaginary soldiers

935122 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Acheron got it, the United States had no imperialist intention in Vietnam. It actually worked to try to help many colonies owned by Europeans gain independence.

As for a stage for the cold war, yes the Vietnam War was to a certain extent. However, the war meant much more to the Vietnamese. First it was ruled by the French, then taken by the Japanese in WWII, and then taken back by France at the end of the war. After gaining independence, the Vietnamese were trying to unify the country under one government system.
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Trying to define a "right side" in war is as futile an exercise as driving a Pontiac Vibe off of the Grand Canyon and expecting yourself to survive--without a parachute.
Rune hunter

236548 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well its obvious it was just another battle ground for the Cold War.

Anyways I highly doubt we can consider America the "good guys" in the conflict.
Seraphblade

imaginary soldiers

935122 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Anyways I highly doubt we can consider America the "good guys" in the conflict.

Really, there are no good guys or bad guys in war. Maybe with the exception of World War II. Throughout history, the winners are usually considered the good guys. I see war as just two opposing sides with different views. In Vietnam, both sides fought for what they thought was a just cause.
Rune hunter

236548 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

heh, I suddenly remember Squall from FF8 sayin something similar. Still just like the current War on Terrorism both sides are trying to claim that there the "good guys".
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As Vextor has already mentioned trying to define the "right side" during the Vietnam War is an exercise in futility. Each side thought they were on the "right side" as dictated by their own political and personal feelings and biases.

Even this War on Terrorism as Rune hunter so aptly brought up could be seen by either side as their side being on the side of "right". Just before I finish this post, I hope this topic doesn't turn into a let's bash the United States since that seems to be leading. Contrary to what some may tell you the United States is not the cause of all the problems in the world.

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think its fair to say that there is no "right side" in war. But I do beleive America should'nt have got involved in Vietnam. It seemed almost every move they made was wrong and the truth is the damage it did to their reputation as a country and a military power is irreversable.

It proved that all the power and resources of the supposed of the "greatest nation in the world" still were'nt able to overcome the simple yet insanely effective tactics of the Vietcong army.

As for the current war America is involved in. I always ask myself. Why do terrorists hate America so much? Why do they care? Who really knows who are "the good guys" thousands die in Iraq every month. People are dying and even more are fighting and you gotta ask yourself why. Who can really be sure. Afterall everybody want to be the good guys.

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There isn't really a right or wrong side because people define those terms differently to one another, people see things in different ways, that is why there are wars.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sniper_Zegai wrote:

As for the current war America is involved in. I always ask myself. Why do terrorists hate America so much? Why do they care?

I forget, was it a 'culture' thing? Americans are rauncy, non pious, over sexed and no where near modest. I could be wrong but I was lead to belive part of it had to do with our culture and how theirs isn't and someone thinks its better to be the other way.

I worked with a woman who felt sorry for those people you speek of, knowing how awfull modren America is. You know, boobies here and there, naked sex on TV, girls gone wild. things they dont stand for. So then "its easy to see why they want to whip us into their own thinking"

As for the orginal topic, I don't recall much from what I learnt in school. That is hazy and all but math wound up being 'lets watch a video". We did see 'born on the 4th of july" was that about Veitnam? I don't recall, if so then we did study it breifly.
All I know about the war was it seems to had been a horrfic mistake and bad things came from it. Or somthing. U.S didn't win and such.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, in terms of the Vietnam War, one thing for sure is that the Vietnamies suffered the most as a result, largely due to foreign mismanagement. First of all, they were colonized by the French, and being colonized isn't really fun, after all. Then the Vichy France puppet governmet opearated by the Japanese, followed by the return of the French again with the blessing of the winners of WWII--then the communist rebels under Ho Chi Minh start stirring a revolution (well, there were more than a few communist factions fighting agatisn each other)--and of course, China starting to exert influence resulting in the purge of many "burgeoise" and "intellectals" who were actually fighting for independence, etc. Separation of Vietnam into north and south with corrupt politicians on both sides, both nearly puppets of foreign powers... the list is endless. It surely isn't just the USA that messed up there, it's a long list of other nations exploiting Vietnam, even following the Vietnam War (such as the Chinese invasion and massacre in 1972). Vietnam has been pretty stout in how they dealt with their history though--instead of lingering on past atrocities, they've pretty much internalized the past and is steadily growing into an economic power. Hopefully this would continue and peace will continue there.
Bub

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sniper_Zegai wrote:

It proved that all the power and resources of the supposed of the "greatest nation in the world" still were'nt able to overcome the simple yet insanely effective tactics of the Vietcong army.

It wasn't the Vietcong that made the U.S. lose the War,
it was the growing intensity of the citizens of the U.S.'s hatred for the War, and the media's portrayal of what was going on there that ended the War. Take that as a good or bad thing, but we weren't really "losing" over there...ever.

Seraphblade

imaginary soldiers

935122 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bub wrote:
Sniper_Zegai wrote:

It wasn't the Vietcong that made the U.S. lose the War,
it was the growing intensity of the citizens of the U.S.'s hatred for the War, and the media's portrayal of what was going on there that ended the War. Take that as a good or bad thing, but we weren't really "losing" over there...ever.

Bub is right. The United States was actually winning the war if you compare the casulties of both sides. The Vietcong and the North lost more than twice the number of soldiers the US and South had. The was just too much tension within the states to keep the war going.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: