Suikoden Ugly and Illegal Kraalesque Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

NFL Draft 2007
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arevus

The Reborn

314452 Potch
100 Soldiers
44 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Moon Knight wrote:
Lastly, I'd like to comment on the Philadelphia Eagles. They took a QB with their first pick, which was in the second round. Kevin Kolb? Who? Why? Do the people in Philadelphia not have faith in McNabb? Didn't they just get Kelly Holcomb over the offseason to fill Garcia's back-up shoes? What sort of crap is that? Philadelphia screwed up, I think.

Sir, as a life time Eagles fan, I would like to say I'm just as confounded as you are. I was a little upset they dumped Garcia to begin with, but then we picked up this nobody in the draft when we could have used a wide reciever or a backup RB. Of course, McNabb does send the "injury prone" vibe, but that just makes me more mad as to why we got rid of Garcia. But yeah, I would have liked a Wide Reciever over a QB for our first pick..
Sai Fujiwara

Executors of Divine Providence

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think that Philly's pick of Kolb was the second-worst take of the draft, with (naturally) the worst pick being Ted Ginn, Jr. by Miami.

What the fuck was that coach thinking?! Ok, ok... So Ginn has been hurt, and he's not the GREATEST receiver he could've taken. Mistakes happen, and as a Lion's fan, I really can't say I have room to complain... But, when Cam Cameron comes out and tells his faithful fans that the guy is a blockbuster returner that he's just selected with his #9 overall, the guy deserves to be urinated upon.

Harsh, perhaps... But, that's my take. Or maybe he's trying to look like a bigger ass than Matt Millen... I don't know, but he's made a fantastic start, if that's his goal in life. "WHERE'S SABAN?!"

However, with Cam Cameron, he DID save his goofy ass by drafting John Beck in Rd 2. Good call. Now, while I'm bitter that the LIONS did not take Beck (because with the #2 in Rd 2, they COULD HAVE nabbed him...), this move has somewhat salvaged Cam Cameron's life and his career in Miami. (Hey, you know how crazy SOME football fans get!) :P

The biggest STEAL of the draft was not a pick, oh no... Hell, the TWO biggest steals may not have been picks, but the jury is definitely still out on Randy Moss. He can be amazing in New England, with Brady pitching him the ball... But, we all know Belichick will bench his stupid ass, if he decides to "take plays off."

I'm talking about Darrell Jackson. Did this guy piss off Mike Holmgren, or something? Did a crazed Seattle fan put out a hit on him?! What were they thinking peddling off their best wide receiver for a FOURTH round pick?! Kudos to San Francisco. With Alex Smith playing well last year, I expect that team to make a run for the playoffs this year. They have many of the weapons, and if they shore up their O-line and defense a little more, by next year, they could be talking Super Bowl. Of course, we'll have to see how Smith does THIS year, too. Will Gore explode again? We'll see, a lot of question marks, but this team is definitely no joke anymore, and with Seattle also losing Grant Wiistrom during the off-season, maybe they've decided that they just want to suck again.

Moon Kight, who the hell is Joe Brown?! Please properly name the draft pick JOE THOMAS, and seriously... Did I catch you name Reche Caldwell as one of New England's "awesome" wide-outs. Ok, no. He isn't. He proved that in the AFC Championship, and if Belichick is smart, he cuts that sorry sack of shit.

Don't take it personally, but the Brown thing was just too amusing to pass up. :P

And now on to my team, the Lions... OHHHH THE LIONS!

According to my dad, they're the longest running sitcom on television, and they are perhaps poised to play that role just a little longer. Calvin Johnson might be the next Barry Sanders at a different position. Johnson's got class and undeniable talent. He won't be a fuck like "Big Mouth" Bly or Roy "I'm a candy-ass" Williams. Now, while Williams does have talent, he seems to think he's a superstar and loves to pull that horrible Michael Irvin "first down" bullshit. Ok, Roy. Superstars not only make spectacular catches... They catch the easy ones. Thanks. Enjoy losing your #1 spot to Johnson.

Moving on, that was some interesting dealing that got Detroit THREE second-round picks. Wow. Too bad that only two will probably be worth a damn. The one guy they should have nabbed for a future QB, they let slip to Miami's effort at salvaging their bad #9 overall. No John Beck for Detroit. One might also question why they let the Browns one-up them by trading to get Quinn. Damn, if Detroit could've done that, we could've survived another year (God forbid TWO) of Shitna... Err... Kitna, and waited for Quinn to develop. Same can be said for Beck. No, instead we can thank Millen for going for another stupid "Homer" pick in the mold of Charles Rogers (The #1 worst draft pick of all time... MAYBE second to Ryan Leaf.) And while this Michigan State nobody wasn't picked as high as Rogers (thank God), he certainly will be nothing more than dead weight.

I dunno, it's NOT because he's from MSU that I say this, but mark my words. Unless someone gets hurt, Drew Stanton won't be starting for the Lions. And, whenever Shitna starts fucking around, and the Lions fans get pissed (as they always do), just like Harrington and Mike McMahon, they'll cry for Stanton, and wonder why Rod Marinelli won't put him in. Like McMahon, they'll find out why he never did, whenever Shitna gets hurt. :P

In his defense, Stanton is a great athlete, but his accuracy and mechanics are just serviceable... Well, if we're talking COLLEGE football. This is the NFL, and Stanton will be the next Mike McMahon. Why did Mel Kiper rank this guy ABOVE Beck? Go watch some State games, Mel...

It also bothers me that Detroit could've taken my man, LaMarr Woodley with that pick, but a better franchise nabbed him, so Woodley will likely see greener pastures.

I do, however, want to thank Matt Millen for scraping some shit off of our roster. By that, I mean trading Mike Williams and Josh McCown to the Raiders.

What, we got SOMETHING for those pieces of shit?! Wow... I guess Al Davis really IS losing it! :P

In closing, let me just say that this post was written to be amusing. Don't take anything too seriously, alright? :wink:

Happily Married to the Lovely Lady Chris Lightfellow! :D
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sai Fujiwara wrote:
I'm talking about Darrell Jackson. Did this guy piss off Mike Holmgren, or something? Did a crazed Seattle fan put out a hit on him?! What were they thinking peddling off their best wide receiver for a FOURTH round pick?! Kudos to San Francisco. With Alex Smith playing well last year, I expect that team to make a run for the playoffs this year. They have many of the weapons, and if they shore up their O-line and defense a little more, by next year, they could be talking Super Bowl. Of course, we'll have to see how Smith does THIS year, too. Will Gore explode again? We'll see, a lot of question marks, but this team is definitely no joke anymore, and with Seattle also losing Grant Wiistrom during the off-season, maybe they've decided that they just want to suck again.

Darrell Jackson wore out his welcome in Seattle when he pissed off the new Team President, Tim Ruskell, last season. Jackson was supposed to have been promised by the previous team president (Bob Whitsitt) that he would get a bonus for the big year he had in 2004 (1,199 yards and double-digit TD receptions). This all fell through the cracks after Whitsitt was replaced by Ruskell who didn't honor the promise.

So, Jackson and Ruskell pretty much just pissed each other off to the point that Ruskell wanted Jackson off the team even if it meant taking the best offer that came their way and it seems like the Niners giving them a 4th round pick during the draft was the best. One thing that hasn't been reported widely was the fact that Jackson had intimated that the 49ers had changed the terms of his current contract to better suit their cap. If Jackson is fine with this then that means he was also in a hurry to be gone from Seattle even if it meant taking a slight pay cut. With the Niners he is signed through the 2009 season. I'm guessing part of the changes in the contract would be more bonus money.

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sai, Just to clarifty, It was a freudian slip. Cleveland Browns... Joe Thomas.. Meshed together and you get:

JUDGE JOE BROWN!

Yeah, I slipped up with that. But I'll stand by my Reche Caldwell statement. On another team, Reche may not stack up to be much. He might be a bad receiver in your eyes, but because of the greatness that is Tom Brady, he's become one of New England's weapons. And the point I was making was that if Tom can make a weapon out of Reche Caldwell, who isn't that bad, but isn't the best, Watch out now that he has real weapons like Stallworth, Moss and Welker. He is a good receiver in New England. He'll probably be a slot receiver now though.

Sai, I'm sad to hear your Lions decided to suck more. Its always a heart break to see your team try desperately to suck. I have hopes that Calvin Johnson puts up numbers worthy of his talent, but unless Detroit fixes int line and QB problems, his numbers won't shine as bright as they could. I know nothing about Drew Stanton, but if he sucks as much as you say, why would experts place him where he did? He obviously has some talent. Maybe not enought to be a starter his first season, but with some logged experience, he might blossom to a useful guy.

It looks like Kansas City is throwing away its future. While I think Trent Gren is better than Damon Huard, they didn't pick up much in the draft to help them next season. Actually most of the AFC West had a poor draft. The Broncos didn't do too well either. Oakland had the best draft day, but I'm with Sai, why the hell take the Lion's garbage for them? What use will they have for turdstain Luke McCown? And Mike Williams was yet another Lions failure. Well, maybe Mike Williams can flourish with a QB who can actually get him the ball. I dunno much about why he failed in Detroit, but he was definitely a failure there, and if Moss couldn't get going in Oakland, I don;t think Williams will make a big career resurgence.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Amyral

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Moon Knight wrote:

It looks like Kansas City is throwing away its future. While I think Trent Gren is better than Damon Huard, they didn't pick up much in the draft to help them next season.

They didn't do much to help the line, but that's it. They got the need that has been their biggest issue for years, a wide receiver, in Dwayne Bowe. Bowe was the best WR in the draft (especially with Ginn being injured). This helps them get people off of Gonzales and it means their biggest receiving threat isn't Eddie Kennison. And let's face it, when your biggest receiving threat is Eddie Kennison, you don't have a receiving corp. Then they get Kolby Smith in the fifth round. Let's face it, Johnson is not going to be nearly as good this season as last season, they needed to get him something to back him up. Smith was a good RB out of Louisville.

I am astonished by the lack of focus on the OL, and between now and the start of the season, Edwards better be looking for ways to beef it up. However, he did help out the offense in some areas where it was needed. If he can find some OL that is still available, then KC isn't in bad shape aside from the QB issue.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm telling you with Joe Staley now a Niner this means Kwame Harris is quite expendable and only has one year left in his contract. I say give us a second-rounder for next year and he is all yours. :)

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Amyral wrote:
They didn't do much to help the line, but that's it. They got the need that has been their biggest issue for years, a wide receiver, in Dwayne Bowe

Good call. I really agree with this because Kinneson is getting older and older, and they haven't had a good reciever opposite him worth a damn since Johnnie Morton. They do, however, need to solidify that O-line, or Green, Huard, or whoever isn't going to be a very effective passer.

Also, Green has one or two more GOOD years left in him. Aside from that, though, KC better look for a new QB next year.

Moon Knight, don't worry I was only poking fun at that.

Of course, by you defending Caldwell, I don't imagine you must've seen the AFC Championship and how GINORMOUS his eyes and mouth got after dropping BOTH balls in his hands. Ok, that proves to me that the guy can't handle the big games, getting flustered like that. Shit happens. Move on. Play ball. He couldn't do that, and therefore isn't going to be worth shit until he does... IF he does.

Not only that, he could be blamed for letting the most deplorable piece of garbage of a Quarterback to get a shot at (and win) a Super Bowl... Of course, it's hard to say that person is not Rex Grossman, but you know who I'm referring to. :P

Also, I won't lie. I ripped Stanton worse than he deserves. I imagine that his high hopes were based on his athleticism and ability to move around. Maybe he had a good Pro Day...?

I DO know that while Michigan State liked him, they weren't all high and mighty on Stanton, and while losing them did hurt the football team, it wasn't a major loss. Commentators did NOT talk about him being a future NFL prospect, and while he did lead the Spartan offense while he was there, he's got SUCH a long way to go before you consider having him under center with monsters like Dwight Freeney, "Booger" McFarland, Jevon Kearse, Ray Lewis, Lofa Tatupu, and Joey Porter among others staring him down.

Of course, if Detroit wishes to let their O-Line suck like it has in the past, hey. Maybe they'll need a mobile guy. I dunno. Stanton doesn't have great mechanics, and while I arm strength and accuracy aren't huge issues, the guy has had some poor games turning it over a lot, and tends to "float" his long-ball. He also doesn't deal very well with pressure. (See above.)

Now, I'm sure my grandpa loves this pick (Huge Lion and Sparty fan), but I'd actually like to see the Lions win games, for a change.

Sparhawk

Lords of Foolishness

207476 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The key thing I see with Stanton is potential. I agree that his mechanics are shot to shit. He honestly is one of those guys I look at on raft day and say; "Wrong decision, go back to college for a few more years." It is funny though when it has to be said for peeps who finished college.

Anyways, I just think that Detroit could have found away to stupify Al Davis with sometrades and grabbed Russel. The same could be said though for Joe "Brown" Thomas.

I look at the Lion's draft as a whole and I have to say that Millen has proved once again. that he doesn't belong in the world of football anymore.

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This year, like the past 9 years prior, I watched the NFL Draft. I had my player rankings, my final 3 round mock Draft, and plenty of Mt. Dew available. :D

General Thoughts:

-Turns out, there weren't too many surprises in the 1st round this year. Trades used to be commonplace at the top of the Draft, but teams just don't want to get stuck with the giant contracts given to players in the top 10. I think one of the main faults of the new CBA was not discussing the accelerating contracts given to unproven players simply for being a top 10 pick. They should have put a cap on it somewhere, in my opinion.

-Quinn's fall came as a surprise, but just because Miami made a plan to get Ginn in Round 1 and Beck in Round 2 (if available) rather than Quinn in Round 1 and some WR who is not as electrifying as Ginn in Round 2. Even though I am not a Ginn fan and didn't have him graded as a 1st round pick, I can see why Miami took him. It sucks for Quinn because no teams in the middle of Round 1 really needed a QB, which isn't his fault. Kansas City would have been the lowest he'd fall at #23, but Cleveland jumped back up to take him. Good move on their part.

-Other than Ginn and Quinn, the other big surprise was the Packers taking DT Justin Harrell at #16. I think that stunned everybody who expected them to take a WR or Greg Olsen (TE) at that spot. After Darrelle Revis got snatched up by the Jets at #14, I desperately wanted the Packers to trade back in the 1st, but apparently the Packers had their eyes set on Harrell and wouldn't budge.

-Kevin Kolb as the #3 QB taken in the Draft? Let's just hope he doesn't follow in the footsteps of fellow alum Ware and Klingler. Apparently the Eagles had him rated higher than Quinn on their board, yet they admit that he's a project who won't see the field for at least 3 years. What are the Eagles smoking??

-The best RB went to Minnesota, the best WR went to Detroit, and the best TE went to Chicago. As a Packers fan, I'm not too happy about these events.

PACKERS 2007 DRAFT CLASS:

#16 - Justin Harrell (DT - Tennessee)

-Risky pick for the Packers since Harrell missed all but two games last year with a torn biceps. Apparently they feel he has recovered completely after he posted 25 bench reps of 225 lbs a week or so before the Draft and medically cleared him. No question that he would have been a top 10 consideration this year had he not been hurt, so this might turn into a major coup for the Packers, getting him at #16. They had him rated ahead of Leon Hall (CB) and Reggie Nelson (FS), who also were candidates for the Packers' selection. Some might consider Harrell at #16 a reach, but it's been confirmed that he would have been the Broncos' selection at #21 had the Packers not taken him. In fact, the reason the Broncos traded up to #17 was to ensure that they would get Jarvis Moss (DE), who was the last of the three players the Broncos were targetting (the other being LB Lawrence Timmons).

Harrell should be able to compete with Corey Williams for the starting spot next to Ryan Pickett in training camp. However, until he proves that he can be the player he was back in 2005, it is impossible to grade this pick at this time.

GRADE: Incomplete

#63 - Brandon Jackson (RB - Nebraska)

-Only a slight reach, since many had him graded as an early to mid 3rd rounder. Jackson fits the Packers zone blocking system perfectly. He has quick feet and is a very natural runner. He's also capable of breaking off a long run now and then, so he gives the team a homerun threat. It will be an open competition for the starting spot at RB this year, and Jackson has a good chance to win it because of who else is on the roster. Need-based pick, but better value at #63 than #47.

GRADE: B+

#78 - James Jones (WR - San Jose St.)

Considered to be the reach of the Draft on Day 1 (even above Kevin Kolb). Most scouts and player evaluators graded him as a 4th-6th round prospect. The Packers were the only team in the league to give him a 3rd round grade. He doesn't have good long speed, but he plays faster than his 4.54 40 time indicates. He is quick out of his breaks, but still needs work. He has decent hands and is good going for the jump ball. He will be a work-in-progress, but his game compares with Donald Driver and Anquan Boldin. He's a hard worker who is determined to improve, and based on the lack of depth at WR for the Packers he will be given a chance to win the #3 spot this year.

GRADE: D

#89 - Aaron Rouse (SS - VTech)

I projected him to play OLB in a cover 2 scheme because of his 6'4 225 lb frame. He will play S for the Packers, and will likely be a true, in-the-box SS. Most teams make their safeties interchangeable these days, which has increased the value of the athletic ones like LaRon Landry who went #6 overall. Rouse is a good tackler and has good recognition, but he will likely struggle in the passing game. The pick was good value at the end of the 3rd round, but not the best fit in my opinion. At the very least, he should contribute right away on special teams, since he is coming from an Hokie program that is known for having great special teams.

GRADE: C

#119 - Allen Barbre (OT - Southern Missouri St.)

Good value in the 4th round. I had him graded as a late 3rd, early 4th round player. Barbre could be the fastest, quickest OL in the entire Draft, and even though he is still a bit raw and coming from a lesser division, he could develop and possibly become the heir apparent to Chad Clifton at LT for the Packers. I love this pick. He also projects to play OG because of his good upper body strength, so he provides the team with versatility and depth along the OL, which is something that was a bit lacking. He'll be a project, but he could also pay huge dividends down the road.

GRADE: A-

#157 - David Clowney (WR - VTech)

Excellent value in the 5th round. Clowney is a blazer with 4.36 speed, giving the Packers an actual deep threat among its WR's. I had him graded a lot higher than this, but I think Clowney's stock suffered because of a poor senior season on a VTech team that did not have a great year. Just like Rouse, he'll contribute on special teams as a gunner and punt returner, and just like Jones, he'll have a shot to win the #3 WR job because of how poor the depth is at the position. Tremendous value pick that could turn into a huge steal for the Packers.

GRADE: A

#191 - Korey Hall (FB - Boise St.)

Because of some Draft day trades, the Packers wound up with 3 consecutive picks in Round 6. The first of which was used on Hall, who will be converted to FB for the Packers after playing LB for Boise St. His best asset will be as a special teamer, though, like a Larry Izzo type. The Packers' special teams unit in 2006 was rated dead last in the league, so it's no surprise to me that many of the picks used this year were for players who could upgrade the unit. I thought 6th round was about where Hall should have gone. Good value.

GRADE: B

#192 - Desmond Bishop (OLB - California)

We already have a LB like Bishop in Abdul Hodge, so I was really confused by this pick and still am. The team wants to move Bishop from MLB and his 4.77 speed to SLB where he'll back up Brady Poppinga. Frankly, I felt if the team wanted to upgrade it's OLB depth, they should have taken a true OLB. No question that Bishop is a gamer, and if not for his speed questions he could have gone two full rounds higher, but I am highly skeptical about this pick. I would have liked to have seen TE addressed here, especially with Ben Patrick still available.

GRADE: D+

#193 - Mason Crosby (K - Colorado)

Has the strongest leg in the Draft, and would have gone two or three rounds higher had he not stunk it up in the post season competition (the Senior Bowl, Pro Day, and Combine). The Packers take Crosby in the 6th round as the 3rd kicker in the Draft, and he could possibly be the steal of the entire Draft. Rayner was decent last year as the Packers kicker, but by no means was he special. Crosby has Pro Bowl potential. Excellent pick for Green Bay, possibly their best selection in the entire Draft.

GRADE: A+

#228 - DeShawn Wynn (RB/FB - Florida)

Fell due to concerns about work ethic and motivation, but talent wise he was a 3rd or 4th round prospect. Wynn is the biggest RB on the depth chart at 235 lbs, so he'll likely be tried at both RB and FB to see if he can stick to the roster. Again, the open competition in the backfield will give Wynn a chance to even become the team's starter. Getting a player with Wynn's talent this late in the Draft (7th round) was a huge bargain for the Packers that could pay off big time.

GRADE: B+

#243 - Clark Harris (TE/LS - Rutgers)

The TE I was hoping we would take earlier in the Draft. I gave Harris a 5th round grade, and as the Draft was winding down I was still a bit shocked to see him available. Good pick by the Packers. He has great size at 6'6 260 lbs, and even though he has a lot of work to do to become an NFL TE, he at least gives us depth behind Bubba Frankenstein with the potential to become a solid #2. He'll help the team out in the passing game and on special teams as an emergency long snapper as well.

GRADE: A-

OVERALL DRAFT ASSESSMENT FOR THE PACKERS

I thought they got screwed on Day 1 with certain players coming off the board right before they picked, which forced them to go with Plan B in Harrell, Jackson, and Jones. Day 1 could have been much better. Day 2 was outstanding in terms of value and filling the roster. Barbre, Hall, Crosby, and Wynn could all become starters down the road. In fact, the Packers might have 3 or 4 opening day starters out of this Draft class (Harrell, Jackson, Crosby, and Hall/Wynn), which alone would make this a successful Draft. I also thought they addressed the special teams concerns. Nine out of eleven players could make an impact on ST right away, and I think every rookie taken has a chance to make the opening day 53-man roster.

So, the Draft could have been better in the early rounds for the Packers, but in the end they got eleven guys who should find a way to contribute in 2007.

OVERALL GRADE: C+

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really believe that if the Packers thought they were being screwed by teams ahead of them taking players high on their draft board then they should've just traded down for more picks. Picks they could've packaged to trade up higher in the second-round to pick players they wanted. Their Day Two picks were pretty good, but it doesn't guarantee that they will be able to help the team "right now" while Favre is still playing. Ted Thompson seems to be thinking that Favre will keep playing and all threats of retiring will never happen. Right now, unless Brandon Jackson turns out to have a break-out rookie season then Favre will have to chuck the ball even more this upcoming season than he did last year.

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If we're talking the Pack, then in my honest opinion, I don't think Favre's condition really matters all that much. Let's be honest for a second, the guy has had an incredible career, but everyone knows that this man isn't what he used to be. The Favre of today doesn't inspire fear among defenses as the Favre of yesteryears. He's still good, and he can compete, if last year's performance was any indication. But even if his age leads to injury and frustration, I think the Packers already got a good candidate lined up, regardless of how poor Favre may or may not have deteriorated. Even if he calls it quits after this year.

I'm talking Aaron Rodgers. I don't think he's someone that should be discredited just yet, because he hasn't had a real chance to show his stuff yet. Last year, when he did get a shot, he fell prey to an injury that ended his season that same game. Without too much knowledge of the guy's college career (I know he did pretty well at Cal), I'm gonna' say that injury was just a freak accident. And let's face it, those kinds of injuries do happen. Look at Kevin Jones of the Lions. Good running back, but got a bad injury late in the year.

Maybe I'm crazy, or purely ignorant. I just don't think that the Packers need to really worry about what Favre does or doesn't do. I think that if Favre packs it up, or sucks it up, they just bench him and let the youngster play some pitch & catch. If his college days are any indicator, PLUS a couple of years learning under Favre already, I just can't see Rodgers being a bad option, if need be.

What Green Bay really could've used was a running back (Adrian Peterson comes to mind) or a good Wide Reciever opposite Driver. Driver is good, but he'll need a good alternate WR or TE to avoid getting doubled all the time. Obviously, a running threat will help, but right now, I don't even know who's carrying the rock for the Pack...

Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, Favre shouldn't factor in too much in how they draft, but they really needed to address shoring up their offense more than they did their defense. I do agree that Aaron Rodgers is their quarterback of the future if they ever give him some reps in pre-season. I actualy feel bad for Rodgers. He should be having a good chance to mentor under Favre these past couple years but it's been reported that Favre doesn't want to mentor anyone who will be replacing him. I don't know if Favre thinks he doesn't need a replacement to mentor since he doesn't see himself retiring anytime soon, or he just doesn't want to deal with helping a young QB acclimate himself to the pros. Either way the Packers are doing nothing to address their future of replacing Favre with Rodgers when the time does arrive.

Even Alex Smith finally got a veteran QB to help him out once the Niners signed Trent Dilfer. I don't think Norv Turner was the only thing which help Smith improve dramatically in his second year (after his rookie year numbers, his second year makes for a dramatic improvement). The emergence of Frank Gore as one of the elite runningbacks in the league and a veteran QB to guide him surely helped Smith mature and learn the speed of the pros. Rodgers hasn't had that chance and I don't think he will in Green Bay.

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Of course, by you defending Caldwell, I don't imagine you must've seen the AFC Championship and how GINORMOUS his eyes and mouth got after dropping BOTH balls in his hands. Ok, that proves to me that the guy can't handle the big games, getting flustered like that. Shit happens. Move on. Play ball. He couldn't do that, and therefore isn't going to be worth shit until he does... IF he does.

Caldwell’s not that bad, he's no david givens in the red zone during a playoff game but he's one of the better backups out there, though knowing how the pats spread the ball around I doubt there will be a big difference in playing time between him and stallworth as the 2nd WR unless stallworth just tears it up, after all he will have to find a new team next year. After how much they gave up for welker he better be the full time slot guy and stay on the field for 85% of the offensive plays as well as taking all kicks, it's kind of a shame that either or both Gaffney and Gabriel are gone, they were pretty good for guys that made no money.

damn next year all the pressure are going to be on the pats to win it all, with so many guys being new, overpaid while having character issues and maroney getting less than a handful of 100+ yard games but sometimes gaining only about 20 yards as basically the only back really makes me nervous, it feels like something is due to go horribly wrong that would cause them to go under 500 after they tried so hard to make that much changes to a very good team. I doubt they will be the clear favorite on paper at the start of next season just for the fact every writer and critic will still be in love with the colts or counting on a meltdown of some sorts, but whatever happens it will be a major disappointment if they don’t win it all, and their offense will take a major hit losing at least the top 2 WR next off season along with Samuel.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't think they will be hurting by losing two receivers next year and Samuel leaving. Even with the money they spent they're still pretty healthy in terms of cap-wise for next season. I think people tend to forget that the New England Patriots were a couple of dropped passes away from blowing out or, at the very least, keeping the lead and beating the Indianapolis Colts in the AFC Championship game.

I think Welker will become their major 3rd-down go-to guy. I've always likened him to someone like Wayne Chrebet who wasn't impressing many people with his skills but for some reason was able to find the seams and gaps in the secondary to get open and actually catch the ball. Welker has also shown the ability to go up the middle and take the hit after the catch. With Donte Stallworth and Randy Moss on either side running go and fade routes they should spread the defense. If the Patriots go with a single-back formation you can have Stallworth, Moss, Welker, and Ben Watson to throw to and Brady has shown that accuracy is one of his strenghts. The defense will have to go man-to-man with one or two of those receivers and Brady will find the mismatch.

The pressure their busy off-season has bought the Patriots shouldn't be a surprise. They're usually favored to win the Super Bowl every year so it's not like they haven't heard it before. The x-factor of the character-issues with some players will and shall be answered the moment Goodell actually follows through on his tough stance on personal conduct if and when he suspends Michael Vick. If Vick is found to have been involved in any way in illegal dogfighting then he will become the first premiere player and superstar to be suspended. If he does get the hammer down on him from Goodell I think that alone is the best deterrent in keeping the new players with character-issues signed by the Patriots this off-season.

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

They're usually favored to win the Super Bowl every year so it's not like they haven't heard it before.

I don't think they have ever been the favored team to win the super bowl before the start of the year, even during the years they did win it there were better teams on paper. In 01 it was the most amazing thing ever that they won, being 10 and 13 point underdogs to both PIT and STL, in 03 they came out of no where to win 12 games in a roll or whatever to finish the year but the AFC championship game with IND was still a toss up, and the next year I recall they weren't favored to win the super bowl because: no team is going to repeat again... plus PIT was favored in the AFC title game having already beat the pats and at home.

I'd think either IND or NE will be the pre season favorites this year, I hope it'll be Indy so the new players on the pats won't get over confident. but I hate the fact that everyone is praising IND for drafting gonzalez while the only thing is said about the pats getting moss is that he'd cause them problems, when you can put anyone with hands in IND to play WR yet moss is really going to need a good and problem free season to get a contract next year.

I'll be the first to say that I fully expect new guys like a.thomas, moss and stallworth to only get about 2/3 of their career season average in term of stats because that's just what happens when high production players gets to NE, but unless something really bad happens this team will be better than the one last year that went 12-4 and was about as close to win a super bowl as any team that didn't win it in the history of football. I hate to be crying about bad things happening but I think if 2 years ago they'd made the right call of touchback instead of fumble at the 1 on the watson swat of bailey or some of the stuff that happened last year in the colts game, the pats could have very much won both those years too. I'm more than glad that they have been so good for so long but I really hope this season goes well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: