Suikoden Uncanny and Irrational Knowledge Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Mediterranean Union, question mark.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Mediterranean Union, question mark. Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If you don't know about this, just simply wiki it.

Apparently, the French President Sarkozy wants to make an EU-style organisation which would include all the EU members and other countries bordering the Mediterranean Sea (including Mauritana??). Its objective is apparently manifold which would include aiding with the Middle East peace process, the propagation of democracy, fighting terrorism and illegal immigration and establishing free trade across the regions.

Things are supposed to look more cheery when Sarkozy at least got the Syrian President Assad and Israeli Prime Minister Olmert together in the same room. Yet i read, i think that it was in BBC, that Sarko's popularity was currently at an all time low, so this is in part a way to boost popularity, wouldn't you think?

Not all the countries in the region are happy with this, which would include the German Chancellor Angela Merkel, who sees this organisation as undermining the core of the EU, and Qadaffi is not so enthusiastic about these prospects, but Libya currently has observer status. And then there is Turkey who joined, but only after being assured that this wouldn't affect their chances from joining the EU.

So, i would like to see what anyone in this forum have on their minds about this political event, which i find interesting.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Huge mistake, it'll probably only divide the EU even more.
Ranadiel

The Squirrel Mob

68112 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Yet i read, i think that it was in BBC, that Sarko's popularity was currently at an all time low, so this is in part a way to boost popularity, wouldn't you think?

According to the wikipedia article you linked to, this was part of his electi9on campaign, so he was unpopular before he was elected, I doubt it. Honestly to me it seems like an attempt by France to try and make itself seem internationally important. Of course I know very little with regards to international politics at the moment, so for all I know France has officially conquered half the world and this is them extending an olive branch to the rest. Although I do think would have heard about the latter happening.

Titles: Harmonian Tenki Star, Harmonian Jousting Champion
Jowy Atreides

486378 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Mediterranean Union, question mark. Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Starslasher wrote:
If you don't know about this, just simply wiki it.

Apparently, the French President Sarkozy wants to make an EU-style organisation which would include all the EU members and other countries bordering the Mediterranean Sea (including Mauritania??). Its objective is apparently manifold which would include aiding with the Middle East peace process, the propagation of democracy, fighting terrorism and illegal immigration and establishing free trade across the regions.

Things are supposed to look more cheery when Sarkozy at least got the Syrian President Assad and Israeli Prime Minister Olmert together in the same room. Yet i read, i think that it was in BBC, that Sarko's popularity was currently at an all time low, so this is in part a way to boost popularity, wouldn't you think?

Not all the countries in the region are happy with this, which would include the German Chancellor Angela Merkel, who sees this organisation as undermining the core of the EU, and Qadaffi is not so enthusiastic about these prospects, but Libya currently has observer status. And then there is Turkey who joined, but only after being assured that this wouldn't affect their chances from joining the EU.

So, i would like to see what anyone in this forum have on their minds about this political event, which i find interesting.
It's way too early to tell, if you ask me.

Most of the projects that will be done through this new union could just be done through diplomatic networks that are already in existence. Now that the Quartet on the Middle East is around, this new union won't even be able to help much in that area.

By the way, Muammar al-Gaddafi is always pissed about something. Western nations are nice to him nowadays because he's willing to let them have some of his oil, and he's also popular in Africa because of his support of the African Union, but, it's not like his position on this union is very important, especially since the union itself isn't very important.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: