Suikoden United and Irrational Knowledge Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Prince of Tennis
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Prince of Tennis Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have to say, that this is the best, most unusual anime I've ever come by. ^^ You might be thinking, how can a show about tennis hardly be interesting? Well, think about Shaolin Soccer, It's like that, except on a tennis court. Imagine like... tennis balls that look like they're on fire, 200kph serves, super precise shots, better then pro quality tennis.^^ I'm a fan of real tennis, and this unfortunately, is nothing like real tennis. Well, that unfortunate for me, but it good for all of you who don't like tennis. Either way, I love it even though it's not like tnenis at all, so its enjoyable for all people.. I think.

Anyway, a mini summary, just so you understand what it's about: It's about a Freshman in High School who joins up at a school called Seigaku, which has a famous tennis team. He becomes the first freshman ever to become a Regular on the team. ^^ So it's about that teams adventures and games leading up to play in the National Tornament.

The characters are so great, and it has the perfect amount of actual tennis, mixed with character interaction, school, and practices, that it doesn't feel like it's all about one thing or another. (And that you don't get bored of just watching tennis.^^)

But seriously, I highly suggest running over to animesuki.com and start downloading.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jurhael

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh Lord! This show is EVERYWHERE in LJ. The community 30kisses has ten thousand claims. I wondered, "what on earth is the appeal", then I read your description of it.

I've thought of downloading it before, but I think the series has something like 2752089750915 episodes or something like that. I wasn't sure if I myself would like it either, but I'm always like that with new anime(well, new to me). Once I finally finish Full Metal Alchemist, I just might check this show out. Unless, I manage to find uncut Yu-Gi-Oh at animesuki and similar sites(I'm very stingy with comp space).

200 kph, eh? Sounds like Badminton. Now there's a sport I love to watch.
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I heard a lot about this show too (and the manga). I would like to watch it but if there are 2752089750915 episodes like Jurhael said...then...maybe not. How many episodes are there?
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

lol, there aren't that many, of course. ^^ There's about 140 that are subbed. But the subbing group is really, really slow. In Japan they're up to like 180, and I think next weeks episode is the end of series. I started watching a few months ago, and I'm up to 75, so I'm slowly catching up.

I've never read the manga, mainly because I can't find a good download source, also I heard the anime and the manga follow different plot lines, so eventually I'll need to check the manga out.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jurhael

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
How many episodes are there?

Seriously, I think there's about 144, if not moreso.

Not quite like Naruto(which has a few more) or YuGiOh(well over 200), but has quite a few.
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

144 have been subbed, but I'm quite sure the subbing group is behind, because the previewed the next episode of Prince of Tennis in Naruto 126, and I remember them mentioning the end of PoT next week, and it was in the 180's. Meef. No quite sure though.

Detective Conan deffinetly takes the cake when it comes to being the longest running, it has over 300. ^^

BTW, Naruto has a few less, it's at 126. ;)

Jurhael

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
BTW, Naruto has a few less, it's at 126.

Then it must be the manga that is very long. It's something like 250 chapters or something.
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Holy fatch, 180???? Man! Why are they always so long! And what's funny is that it's all about tennis. They managed to make all these plot lines from...going to a tennis tournament. Hahah!! Well I'll have to check it out anyhow.
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeep, the Naruto manga has 252 chapters and counting.^^ I'm a pretty big Naruto fan.

The best episodes of the show aren't even the tennis ones, to tell the truth. ^^ My favorite so far is when they think Momoshiro and Echizen are going on a date with Tachibana's sister, so they go and spy on them, and they "figure out" that there's actually a love square, not a love triangle. ^^ It's really hillarious, cause then Kaidoh thinks Inui asked him on a date... so he starts freaking out. And Inui keeps calling the captain to get advice and get him to come, but he always hangs up. Yar, you'd really have to see it.

Kohaku

Red Veil

309182 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Prince of tennis...hmm, from my memory, they have pirated the manga&the anime here in Indonesia.

I have watched it, and I think it's pretty decent. It's just that too much of the Bishounen there that corrupt my mind (but what the hell, fruits basket also full of pretty boys).

BTW, one piece manga is longer than Naruto, I have only download it until volume 35, while I see in Kinokuniya, the Japanese series had reached a lot more.

You might want to read the manga "Kotaro", be it the Karate series (59 volume) or the Judo series (still hasn't finished, now volume 24). It's my favorite manga, and the manga contain a very good sense of humour combined with good action.

EDIT : Sorry, the Kotaro manga is 59 volume, I just checked my collection again

Last edited by Kohaku on Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

49 volumes. O_O That has to be well over 300 chapters. Maybe even over 400, that's insanity. ^^

PoT has a little yaoi suggestive-ness in it, but it's pretty light hearted, and all for the comedy aspect. Every once in a while the team will assume Inui is gay, because of his 'stalker' like attitude, and the time that I mentioned where Kaidoh thinks Inui asks him on a date is as serious as it gets. And yes, like most anime, it's full of Bishounen, but most anime is like that. ^^

h i k a r i a

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Deleted wrote:
Holy fatch, 180???? Man! Why are they always so long! And what's funny is that it's all about tennis. They managed to make all these plot lines from...going to a tennis tournament. Hahah!! Well I'll have to check it out anyhow.

True, the anime is quite long, but please keep in mind that this anime has been going on for a few years. The anime began since the beginning of 2001 and the manga began in the year 2000. Fans who have been watching it ever since it first came out wouldn't feel that it's long at all. Of course, if you watch the anime rite now from beginning to end, like the most of us (including me, kekeke ), then yeah, it'll feel long. Though I've been catching up since two years ago and I didn't feel it was long. ^^;;

Gil-galad wrote:
PoT has a little yaoi suggestive-ness in it, but it's pretty light hearted, and all for the comedy aspect. Every once in a while the team will assume Inui is gay, because of his 'stalker' like attitude, and the time that I mentioned where Kaidoh thinks Inui asks him on a date is as serious as it gets. And yes, like most anime, it's full of Bishounen, but most anime is like that. ^^

It really depends on how you look in it. There are some fans out there who doesn't think that PoT is a yaoi-like anime. In fact, I don't recall the team assuming that Inui is gay and stuff like that. To my perspective, Inui seems to like 'stalking' because he's the information collector and would do anything to find his enemie's and, most importantly, his close friend's weaknesses. Kaidoh? Blah! That part was hillarious but I think that Inui really loves to tease Kaidoh and Kaidoh gets easily cause he usually takes most things seriously. Hehe~

But I have to agree with you a little bit. I dunno why, but later on when you watch the 5th and 6 series, I don't feel that it's about tennis anymore. It's more aobut watching bishonens do some cool moves in tennis and fangirls just cheering on with their favourite characters. As if the artist were only targetting fanservice. o__O The beginning series was done really well but later on, I find Ryoma's matches less intriguing and they have such wierd endings. it wasn't until the 7th series when I got the feeling that yeah, now it's back to tennis again, but that's just me. Overall, it's an anime that's worth watching and that's the most important part. ^___^
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
apathy

14000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

prince of tennis is my favorite series that hasn't been released in the u.s. yet. i have episodes 1-152 but i have only seen to 115 so far(my new obsession with naruto has taken away my time for prince of tennis). the manga is also very well made. i will hopefully be watching the siegaku vs. rikkidai episodes today if i don't get sidetracked.

Kuzunoha

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I remember watching this anime....okay i got one manga book (i got obsessed with Kaidoh---such an awesome character) and my friend lended me her discs and such. I watched about 30 or 40 episodes so far---then i didnt have any other way to watch the obsession of it died out.

But id reccomend it to anyone. Its a great anime, and definatly entertaining---and im not *that* big of a sports fan---but Tennis...Kaidoh...Seigaku..Bishounens...

At first, i did watch it because of the pretty guys (being a fangirl and all) and i was less than pleased with Ryoma, he didnt strike me as interesting and i got bored watching his matches unless it has one of his teammates playing him. But then, i got more into the series, i appreciated it more (lost more interest in ryoma) and...well...

Now im out of it. Although, one of these days ill go buy the series. At least it has more meaning then Inuyasha or Naruto IMO...
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wowza, I haven't seen this thread in a while... Now they've subbed up to the final episode--- but there's a gap in between that A-O has yet to fill. Shinsen Subs picked up at the end of the arc A-O is working on.... but they're going verrrrrry slowly. Anyways-- the end of the show is kindof screwy, which makes me sad they deviated from the manga. (which I'm on around volume 4 of--- so I wouldn't know if the manga's story is better yet. ^^)

Quote:

But id reccomend it to anyone. Its a great anime, and definatly entertaining---and im not *that* big of a sports fan---but Tennis...Kaidoh...Seigaku..Bishounens...

lol-- Same reasons here. ^^ I rarely ever watch sports anime, the beginning... gets off kinda slow, I was really only watching for the bishies. ^^ But as you get more involved with the school, and the massive amount of opponents and rivalries, it becomes alot more. Also-- what other sports anime ever has been based on tennis, it gets points for being unique. ^_^

I personally like Ryoma, as a person-- but his matches get verrrrry boring. You almost always know he's going to win. And if he doesn't, it's in a match you pretty much know he's going to lose. (in fact he only loses to three people in the entire duration of the anime...) But Ryoma's characters is just.... awesome. heh.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: