Suikoden Uncanny and Infamous Keystone Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Fast Food?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Fast Food? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I know there are a fair amount of food threads, but none cater to this particular topic. Fast food chains grow around us constantly, check in any city or developed region and they never seem to be in short supply, is this because everyone flocks to them? I have a few questions for people if they'd kindly take the time to answer so I and others can generally understand the "situation."

Do you eat any type of fast food each week?

Is it something you live by? Is it something you avoid like the plague?

What do you think are the effects of your choice either way?

Do you feel that fast food generally tastes better than other kinds of food?

I sometimes eat fried fish and things like that about once a week, maybe twice in certain cases. I usually am quite an active person and also have a fast metabolism that helps keep me thin, but on the other hand it's not like I eat a lot anyway. One interesting piece of trivia I learned from a friend was that apparently, in a Macdonalds restaurant, the British version of a "large" meal, is only the "medium" for the USA. Think this is true?
retrospect.

Cosby You! Black Entertainer

102725 Potch
420 Soldiers
30 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's a matter of options. If I'm out on the road and I get hungry, i'll get a snack or somethign quick to eat, I'm not about to sit down and pay 20 dollars for a "finely prepared entree" when i want a thing of fries to munch on. i generally eat fast food regularily, though not as a staple. the american medium/european large thing is actually true, and if you were to send a british over to our movie theaters the buckets of popcorn and soda would probably make them sick.

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As I got older, I've had to pay for my fast food and any food in particular. So nowadays, I rarely touch the stuff. It's way too expensive. It's much cheaper as a whole to cook food (and in my case, have someone cook for you :P).

To me, home cooked meals taste much better than fast food. It's not even the grease thing. It's just that it's cooked differently. I can taste the extra preparation a home cooked meal goes through. Fast food is what it sounds like. It's food cooked really fast. That extra amount of preparation normal meals go through makes a huge difference to me.

But I sure don't knock the usefulness of fast food. The unfortunate truth is just that people don't have time to cook (or have time to learn how to cook) anymore. So the alternative is fast food. It only makes things worse of the said fast food eater doesn't exercise on a healthy basis. If you go through that routine for several years, as some people do, then it might lead to some health issues.

It’s not bad to have a hot dog or whatever once in a while though. Moderation is your friend in that case.

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

retrospect. wrote:
if you were to send a british over to our movie theaters the buckets of popcorn and soda would probably make them sick.

Do you mean that the portions would be too big for a European? Or that it's made up of different ingredients?
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

edit: Retrospect. is probably referring to the portion size. Movie theaters have ridiculously sized popcorn and fountain soda cup sizes here. I mean really, really ridiculous.

I'll eat any type of fast food-- not really a fan of burgers, despite the fact that they are the most common. I probably eat fast food two or three times a week.
I certainly don't live by it, I could get by without it. However, if I'm out, and it's around dinner time-- I'll stop by somewhere and get a quick bite to eat. That way I have enough time when I get home to do any work I need to do, practice, and even have some time for suikox. ^_^
The effects? I suppose I get food quicker and easier than I would in another way. I don't think fast food can have an adverse affect on your body unless you engage in very little physical activity, and eat waaaaay too much of it.
Hum... Fast food, like any other food, has some types that taste good, and some that taste bad. It's hard to lump all fast food in to one taste category, since modern fast food chains have so much variety. It's just very difficult for me to be able to compare all fast food to all non-fast food... but I'll say that there are some fast foods that I think taste great, while there are others that just taste terrible.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SolemnSound

Solemn Sound

330634 Potch
100 Soldiers
48 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Do you eat any type of fast food each week? No, I may eat fast food like once or twice a month. I dont like it all that much really.

I try to avoid it since I am a bit of a health freak and sometimes fast food makes me sick from all the grease.

Well Since I dont eat fast food, I think that I am living a healthier life, other than that there are no effects.

No, while I do enjoy a good chicken sandwich from a fast food resturant, there are other types of food that I think taste better. like sushi ^_^

and yes in other countries the portion size is smaller. I have heard this from a number of people, especially there is smaller portions in France. A friend of mine made a big deal about the portion size.

Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2327939 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

um...probably once every 3-4 weeks or something?
...I don't eat it that often anymore

Neither really. I like it but the opportunity to get fast food doesn't present itself to me that often anymore...
...also....I tend to skip meals rather than run off and get fast food >.>

Even though I'm overweight I had less cholestrial (and that other bad stuff oily fast foods give to you) then my much skinnier brother--Point in case, that stuff is dangerous.

Generally speaking? No. I mean....some are delicious and all but alot of them overkill on the oils etc. A really nice home-cooked meal beats those "overkilled" fast foods anyday :o

The thing with America and fast food is that Americans overall tend to be more rushed in their day-to-day activities so they tend to rush around and grab quick bites to eat for meals in between work hours. Hence making fast food restaurants highly attractive.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Geddoe

Eyepatches of the Faith

397934 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I eat fast food about once a week, when I go out with a friend of mine to catch up on how life's treating us and whatnot. With my four year old daughter, I treat her the same way that my father treated me when I was young - McDonald's Happy Meal, only on Fridays and ONLY if her teacher tells me she had a good week in school.

Once I started working, I ate it all the time, and put on the weight to show for it. Once I stopped eating it cold turkey a few years back, my weight went back down. I've found a happy medium for right now - I eat it about once a week with my one friend. It'll be difficult to avoid once I start working again - there are 6 fast food joints within close proximity of the job that I'm hoping to get. I won't try to avoid it completely - that's almost impossible. But I will try to be more careful about how much of it I eat, or the things I get. [Example: If I eat there every day, I'm not going to get the burger or the fries, I might get the fruit salad or the yogurt with granola or the southwest chicken salad - that's new and I heard it was very good. Plus, if I go to lunch, I have to [walk], so that might take the edge off the calories.]

I can't make a pig of myself, because if I do, I'll put on weight and be unhappy with myself. [I have no shame with this - I'm 5'8.5'' and weigh 160 pounds. At my heaviest, I was 185. I'm trying to get back down to 150.] But I'll be equally as unhappy if I deny myself. I just have to make the right choices when I go out to eat so that I can enjoy fast food and not worry about how it will affect my weight.

Sometimes. Neither me nor Maddie's dad can make a batch of fries like the ones you get at say, McDonald's or Checkers. Between the two of us, we can make some pretty good hamburgers, though. And I'd put any KFC up against the chicken that we make here at home. *points to a pan full of chicken she's got going now* Burgers, I would go out for. Chicken, I would not.

This is a really interesting topic, Uji-chan. ^_^

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I almost never eat fast food. Ever. It's like the bane of my existence. I'll make fried foods myself, or hamburgers and what not, but I almost never eat at a fast food restaurant. Mostly because for the last 7 years I've had a particular view of food drilled into my head. And plus, my french fries make Mcy. D's and Burger King like a joke!

I try to avoid them. I'm a chef in training so it's something that I feel strongly about. But I do have to say, Fast Food is evolving to meet the current food fad of "healthy food"

Honestly? I'd probably be healthier eating fast food. I make myself much richer, heavier foods for myself. I like rich creamy sauces, and fattier foods.

No, you don't know what real food tastes like, until you've tasted my cooking. Life is as simple as that!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Thor McOdin

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

1757439 Potch
4444 Soldiers
4225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I usually eat fast food once or twice a week when I am too busy to make my own meal.

Lord no. Life would be better without fast food, in my opinion. However, I usually won't avoid a quick trip to Wendy's if I am traveling. Then again, Hardee's and Carl's Jr. scare me to death. They actually make burgers and sandwiches that make up your body's entire caloric intake for the any given day. Er...

It's not affecting my body because I generally work out three to four times a week However, I have to live with the fact that I just spent money on something that will be gone in minutes.

Not really. It's addicting, but I don't think that means it tastes better. Give me a steak, salad, pasta, Corona Village, or Cajun food any day of the week!

Not all ninja codes are brewed equally. Here at Shinobi, we use the choicest Bavarian hops that are ripened to perfection. One sip and we will have you saying...nothing.
Kain

Desert Claw

297869 Potch
75 Soldiers
1196 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nope.. not every week but sometime i had too because my busy work hour that give me less time for making my lunch or dinner..

Fast food is my last resort... i last thing i think for dinner or lunch. i try to avoid it.. because health problem.. i try avoid diabetes..

well i do believe.. fast food is cheap and safe money and time. but i wonder.. it is good to have a fast food everyday

yes.. some food didn't have the taste like Fast food...

Largest Falco Tribute Band Ever

186774 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I do usually have some sort of fast food each week, because there's not always time to make something myself. I don't have it all that often, but I also can't actually think of many weeks where I haven't had something from some fast food place, whether that place is a more standard burger joint like Burger King, a chicken place like Popeye's, a sub place like Quizno's, or something else like Chipotle. A lot of weeks, though, what I do get on Monday for dinner is spicy wings at Popeye's, because I rather like their chicken, and they do price them at 50 cents each on Mondays after 4 PM, which is pretty good for something I like and don't have to cook myself. Basically, I get a bunch, have some for dinner, and have a few around to eat another time.

As for the live by/avoid like the plague question, the answer is no to both in general. I don't really live by any one chain as a whole (Although I rather like Popeye's, as you might be able to tell from above), but there are a few I almost always will avoid and some I really won't. Some around where I am that I dislike are McDonalds, Arby's, and Taco Bell (Especially Taco Bell). Some I like well enough are KFC, Quiznos, Little Caesars (it counts), and Burger King. On the off chance that I'm in a mall food court, Tokyo Express and Panda Express are decent.

The effects of my choice are not so great; I do have it, but I don't have it ridiculously often. My habits are more healthy than not (I have a decent diet, I work out, etc), so the effects aren't too bad.

I don't think fast food tastes better than other kinds of food. Some of it's good, some of it's not good. Just like sometimes what I cook turns out to be really good, and sometimes it's less spectacular. Not all fast food is the same, so no generalization here, except that oftentimes I like what I can make better.

And yeah, sizing is a big part of fast food's real problem. I usually don't like whatever it is to buy it in whatever big size they have. If I managed to miss breakfast and lunch, maybe, but I generally don't do that.
Celes Tilly

Buttery Lungs

290293 Potch
666 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The fastest food I eat is a bowl of cereal. I'm a cheap bastard so I don't buy that McDeath stuff... and it's not very healthy, either.
Deadly Assassin

289976 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No, I refuse to eat any fast food besides Arby's and Subway (if Subway is considered fast food)

I avoid it like the plague

I think it's good that I don't eat fast food, since Its horrible for your health.

No. Fast food relies mainly on the taste of Fat and Grease: two very heavy flavors that get old very fast. Other kinds of food use a combination of spices and cooking style to create subtle and light flavors that are generally better tasting and better for you than fast food.

I coincidentally was discussing this subject with some friends of mine a couple days ago. The thing about fast food is it manipulates the desire of the consumer to get quick, cheap, and "good" tasting food while at the same time, the company is making this quick and cheap food with cheap products and cheap, unhealthy, but strong flavor. Its a win-win except for the fact that the fast food is bad for you. Luckily Subway and Arby's exist.

:p

Chief of Hot and Steamy Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Mitsuba + Godwin Avatars Unite- Sports
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i don't eat them each week, but when i do i go to wendys, carls jr., arbys.

i don't live by, just a drive about a mile or two.

taste and prices and what i'm hungry for.

well it taste a whole lot better than organic crap.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: