Suikoden Utopian and Inspirational Keystone Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Bees and the Death of Mankind
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Perhaps this will stall the killer bee onslaught that I have been preparing for.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

now radiation is hurting the bees? last time it was mites in their troats. but this is bad, bees and flowering plants go together, sure we have butterflys but they don't do the same job right? Also keep in mind that if we let other insects do this job, and bees didn't a lot of flowers won't smell nice. In deserts where there are no bees they smell like rotting meat to attract flies.

I guess we'll need to create a strain of radioactive bees that won't be harmed by these things.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vertius

The Runic Fletchers

629970 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Normally, I would celebrate the demise of bees, since I hate them with such a distinction that I cannot construct a sentence with enough words to convey my hate of the little buzzers!

Still, in my rage, I never actually considered what a huge impact they have, nor did I hear of their sudden scarceness. Let's hope that some conclusive evidence is brought forward soon, since this seems quite serious...

The Ebon Elite

356999 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I too absolutely dispise those little flying bastards. I can't tell you how many times I was stung by them when I was little. I am, however, very sympathetic to nature and if there is truely a scare of losing a species, especially one that is as important to many eco-systems as bees are, we should make every effort possible to save them.

Can we PLEASE get rid of wasps and hornets though?
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lots of bee hate, I see. Bee's aren't even that aggressive compared to hornets and especially wasps. I'm wondering if the overall hate of bees is just because people dislike wasps and hornets, and associate them with bees?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jossef

Beshennye Berserki

95809 Potch
200 Soldiers
23 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

One sexy beast wrote:
Hrmph. I wasn't aware how important bees were. If I'd heard this beforehand I probably would have celebrated since I despise small, flying, buzzing creatures.

That's why I hate bees Milan. :P

Wasps, hornets, bluebottles... I hate them all. I try and avoid them when possible and being in the same room as them is a definite no no.

Kai Ver' Xion wrote:
Can we PLEASE get rid of wasps and hornets though?

I'm all for that!

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought the same thing, Milan. Honey bees and bumblebees are gentle animals - only wasps (including hornets) are aggressive. It would be shortsighted to treat all of them the same just because they look vaguely similar.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You may keep your bumblebees and carpenter bees and such, but I will not tolerate love for the africanized honey bee. We are at war, gentlemen, and I intend to fight.
Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

lol, Well its starting to become summer'ish over here and the wasps are out in force. I've got my rolled up news paper for them ready. I'll leave bees alone knowing how gentle they are.

As for Leb! Fight on brave warrior! *Bee & Wasp killer secret handshake*

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The fungus did it.

So much for it being laid entirely on the deadliest game of all.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Dew Dust

2127634 Potch
200 Soldiers
104 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Layfield wrote:
The fungus did it.

Now that makes a lot more sense.

Ficky Ficky Frog Eyed Frustrated Fools

2319 Potch
0 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah a fungus sounds more believable than cell phone radiation.

Unfortunately for some here, hornets and wasps are needed as carnivores as well. Me I have never been stung by any flying social insect, but I have been mauled by ants and even then I wouldn't want to wipe them out.
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

that's interesting. But one of the following posters makes a good point, could the fungus be a symptom or the root cause? If it's a symptom then noone still knows what's wrong with them.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
No_Brain

0 Potch
6 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well the fungus is still only a hypothesis, so no one is still sure of what exactly is causing the bee plague, but I hardly believe it could be a symptom of something else. Fungi don't usually show up as symptoms, and as far as I've heard, the bees are dying out because they are unused to this type of fungi, which in the past could only be found in Asian bees, who know how to fight the stuff off.
Quote:

They checked for sequences from a fungus that was known to have jumped from
Asian bee species to the Western honeybee in recent years. Not only was it present but

Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A virus may be responsible for the decline in North American bees.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6978848.stm
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: