Suikoden Unique and Irrational Keystone Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Massacre at Virginia Tech
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hi you two. You know I usually weigh on our arguements but you were covering most of the angles.

I have to agree with Amyral.

Legally this guy was more or less untouchable. Stalking is one of the hardest crimes to get prosecuted and alot of the apparent "signs" that were supposed to tell us that he was dangerous would'nt have been that apparent at the time.

I said in an earlier post that people will be looking for someone to blame and even something nameless and faceless like "the system" people will still be looking to point a finger and get some closure.

And I have to agree 100% with Amyral when it comes to breaching privacy. I beleive if there is good enough reason and evidence then you should be able to act and retreive evidence. But if we create laws where all we have to say is "He might be another Cho" or "Its a matter of national security" to just go through peoples stuff and tap their phones then there will be more victims than criminals being victimised.

What happened here was a tradegy and I hope some real and constructive changes come from this but the truth is this would have been almost impossible to predict, on this scale at least. And I hope nobody including those in power do anything rash out of emotion regarding this.

I guess all the answers to the questions people 'really' want answering died along with Cho. I dont know if that was another blow Cho was looking to strike to the people, but you never know.

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I also understood that. I know that a lot of these laws sound good in theory but when it comes to practical constraints, it just couldn't be done. I was just taking that from AOL to see if someone could disprove of it better than me.

For example, consider these off: (Taken from AOL)

1) His plays were clearly a warning sign: No. A lot of plays, stories and movies have far worse content. About all you could really say about Cho's plays was that it seemed to lack maturity, but creative writing teachers say they're a dime a dozen in classes.
2) People should have helped him: I'll concede that society nowadays is rather nasty, cold even. Even so, unless he was directly bullied, we can all agree that it was his choice to act like an idiot, instead of looking for help. Heck, I don't think his case is even as bad as other people I've heard of.
3) Immigration laws should be tightened: Yeah right. Even if you tightened immigration laws, it doesn't help much, because anyone can be a murderer.
4) This is what happens when you take God out of the classroom: Considering that Cho was most likely not a Christian, I don't see why is this even elaborated.
5) More counselling should have been done: Cho didn't want it, Cho won't change. End of.

However, one interesting thing that I did read was the structure of the classroom. From an analysis of the building, there was only one door, and the windows were small, which made escape hard. This gave an advantage to the gunner. In light of this, do you think that future schools should be built with such events in mind?

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

However, one interesting thing that I did read was the structure of the classroom. From an analysis of the building, there was only one door, and the windows were small, which made escape hard. This gave an advantage to the gunner. In light of this, do you think that future schools should be built with such events in mind?

Now there's something that you can't really argue with. That's a fire hazard already, not to mention a psychopathic killer-hazard.

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I agree with that, when you have so few exits, it makes it difficult for people to get out for any reason. Of course, it's not practical to have multiple exits for every classroom, but there should be more exits out of buildings for fire safety and other reasons.
Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I actually thought this was a really big biulding with loads of doors, but all he had to do was to bolt a single door to keep everyone from escaping.

I agree with everything about what Luceit said. Especially those immagration and god issues. You seriously think having an extra R.E. lesson would have made Cho more sane. And as said anyone can be a murderer. In fact Cho was probably shunned for being an immagrant. I think its safer to say if Americans were more accepting of immigrants, Cho would have felt more comfortable asking for help. Who knows.

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I think its safer to say if Americans were more accepting of immigrants, Cho would have felt more comfortable asking for help

We are, usually. The only immigrants many of us have a problem with are mexicans that come in illegally. The fact he was an immigrant just gave them another reason to pick on him, moreso because of his race than for his status as an immigrant. It would happen anywhere, and again, you can't keep singling out America for these things.

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I dont really but it as how America is portryaed through the media.

There always seems to be someone complaining about something in America and Immagration is just one of the things that get alot of attention media wise. And I guess its the American attitude that gives them a mild racist appearance. The simple fact that Americans (and Im not saying all of them of course) seems to think they are superior somehow just for being American, they use terms like "God Bless America", "Greatest country in the world" and my personal favourite "All american person/family/etc, etc" gives the impression that the rest of the world is inferior somehow or if I stepped foot in America I would'nt be welcome becuase Im not American. But as I said Im not saying this is all Americans or even most Americans, Its just what I see most media wise.

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's not true at all, and it's also definately off topic. Another thread is needed for this.

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yvl wrote:
That's not true at all, and it's also definately off topic. Another thread is needed for this.

Actually--- the information he's talking about is what I was trying to discover through my "Patriotism, or Nationalism?" thread. I was quite curious about the portrayal of how Americans view America is foreign countries, and how Americans really do feel about America. Just thought I'd point out that there is a topic for all that stuff.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Im sorry guys I know there is a topic for this already. I was just responding. I will admit however that I dont have much knowledge on American culture, I just tell it how I see it.

Im sure Americans think British people are cowardly tea drinking posh weirdos who all sound like Hugh Grant. Its just a stereotype but it does'nt stop the media from presenting us that way to America, as said Im sure most Americans are'nt like this thats just the impression that is given.

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sniper_Zegai wrote:

Im sure Americans think British people are cowardly tea drinking posh weirdos who all sound like Hugh Grant. Its just a stereotype but it does'nt stop the media from presenting us that way to America, as said Im sure most Americans are'nt like this thats just the impression that is given.

if people think that way then there just thick minded and don't know shit.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I heard some stupid underclassmen today talking about the Tragedy at Virginia Tech. He said "if teachers were equipped with guns in the classroom, there would only be one life lost that day", loosely quoted. I'm curious what everyone thinks about this. It seems like a trend almost, what with better equipped air marshalls in light of airborne terrorism.

My opinion is exactley opposite what he thinks. I think that equipping more people with guns is in no way a solution to the US gun violence problem. From the wording of my previous sentence you can see the logic behind my statement. Adding more guns will not prevent people from using them. If anything, a person willing to use a gun on another human being may feel it imperitive to shoot first if they feel threatened by the chance their victim has a gun.

So I've discredited a solution, I'll provide what I think is the best alternative. If we were to document the fact that a person had been sent to counseling due to imbalance issues before, I feel it would have nipped this in the bud. The background check performed by the salesmen wasn't extensive enough to show that the customer had an above average chance of misusing the firearm, due to past reckless behavior. I feel any kind of reckless decision making that has been evaluated by a legally responsible corporation should be red flagged on an application for firearms.

This would include those reckless teenage days. Furthermore, what did a college age kid need with a gun? Why didn't anyone ask how he got this weapon? It's my opinion that age limitations should be more strict with those who can legally weild a fire arm and those who can purchase a fire arm, far more strict than the age limits on drinking and smoking. Without extensive research and evaluation, I'd say anyone under 30 has no need to be buying a gun. Weilding one is a different matter, but buying implies something else.

Rather than point fingers at who is at fault and in what ways was the problem prevented poorly, like the media seems to be highlighting, I'd rather think about what could be done differently to prevent this in the future.

-----

My Mum and Dad are both alumni so I've been fairly well informed about the events surrounding the massacre. My Mum expressed discontent when she witnessed a ceremony this morning. They had a bell and 32 people standing with a white balloon each. With each strike of the bell they let one more go, at dawn I think. Mum feels like they should have down 33, including Seung, because he was a victim of himself and his mental instabilities. What do you think? Should the killer be acknowledged with the others since he too died that day, falling prey to a disturbed murderer?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I can understand the motivation behind air marshalls because they are trained proffesionals. But arming teachers is riduculous.

Instead is saying "Hold on, we should really look at how this guy legally acqiured a weapon" they are actually saying "A load more guns will put out that fire" Its insane. Arming people left, right and centre is'nt going to solve this problem. Disarming people and tightening the hold on fire-arm laws to prevent people like Cho slipping through the net is the real solution.

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I heard some stupid underclassmen today talking about the Tragedy at Virginia Tech. He said "if teachers were equipped with guns in the classroom, there would only be one life lost that day", loosely quoted. I'm curious what everyone thinks about this. It seems like a trend almost, what with better equipped air marshalls in light of airborne terrorism.

that is one dumb student. if teachers were equipped with guns it would only further the problem. what happens if a teacher gets fed up with his class and decides to shoot them all. it's only going to further the problem. a tazar gun would be possible, but an actual gun, there be no way that would happen.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I agree with everything about what Luceit said. Especially those immagration and god issues. You seriously think having an extra R.E. lesson would have made Cho more sane. And as said anyone can be a murderer. In fact Cho was probably shunned for being an immagrant. I think its safer to say if Americans were more accepting of immigrants, Cho would have felt more comfortable asking for help. Who knows.

As far as I know, there was no proof that Cho was a victim of racism; if at anything, the Koreans in America after Cho will probably be victims of this. Now, normally I'm very anti-racist, but I know that people like these exist everywhere. They only try and say something when they want to score points with their agendas. I think it's unfair to conclude that America is mainly a racist nation just from a few cases, because from all the responses I saw, only a minority were racist. Again, being racist doesn't help at all here because the main issue with Cho was that he was insane, so anyone could have been a culprit.

Quote:

Yeah, I agree with that, when you have so few exits, it makes it difficult for people to get out for any reason. Of course, it's not practical to have multiple exits for every classroom, but there should be more exits out of buildings for fire safety and other reasons.

Just two would be enough I believe. I saw the building plan of the building, and boy, the windows were definitely not the kind you'd try to squeeze from, because they're really small. I think it says something about the school when even primary schools in Malaysia have two doors. >_>

Quote:

My Mum and Dad are both alumni so I've been fairly well informed about the events surrounding the massacre. My Mum expressed discontent when she witnessed a ceremony this morning. They had a bell and 32 people standing with a white balloon each. With each strike of the bell they let one more go, at dawn I think. Mum feels like they should have down 33, including Seung, because he was a victim of himself and his mental instabilities. What do you think? Should the killer be acknowledged with the others since he too died that day, falling prey to a disturbed murderer?

It's difficult to say. Sure he was nuts, sure he commited suicide, but I've always felt the slightest bit of pity for people who were mentally ill but didn't recognize it. However, I think that he didn't need to be insane to react like this, because it's clear that he hates practically everyone out there. In that case, I'd say he doesn't deserve a balloon.

Looking back at the information they found, I can honestly say that very few of them were real red flags, such as the arson case and the stalking case. Even so though, how long can you confine him? Eventually, he will get even.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: