Suikoden Uncouth and Irrational Knowledge Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Massacre at Virginia Tech
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Massacre at Virginia Tech Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

article

I know that posting news stories has recently been frowned upon, however I really think this story is important enough to warrant a thread, and I believe there is more to discuss than just the story at hand. It would appear that earlier today 22 people were killed at the campus of Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Va, and another 28 were injured. The police have said that the suspect in the shooting was among the dead, however.

This leads me to the discussion topic at hand. Safety in schools. Obviously safety at a University, and safety in say, a High School are very different, but I believe they're both pressing topics. With this recent shooting, and remembering back to events like Columbine, do you think there is enough security in place at our schools? hum.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's no wonder why schools are becoming frequent places for killing sprees. The amount of stress put on someone can drive them to insanity. I should know, I've been there. Some of the teachers you get are absoloute sadistic bastards that pile enough work on you to question humanity in general. Combined with crazy expectations that some parents have beaten into their children wihout considering that their offspring are indeed human beings, not their dolls or a means of conveying their failed ambitions... breakdowns like this are bound to happen.

Eyepatches of the Faith

397934 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I honestly don't think so.

When I was in college [I graduated in 96], the most we ever felt ourselves having to worry about was being on campus late at night and after major campus events, because there were a rash of seuxal batteries on our campus. The campus police department wasn't very large to deal with 40K students in and around every day, 5/6 days a week.

On top of that, I see every day my alma mater pouring money into their athletic department and their med school and receiving federal grants for this thing and that thing, but I've never once seen any monies going to improving campus security, or increasing the number of officers on duty [at least not publicly]. It's a long time before my little one goes off to college [12 years - she starts Kindergarten this year] but even now it's something for me to consider.

Something else - I didn't worry half as much about my safety on campus as I will find myself worrying about hers when the times comes for her to go. My prayers are with the people up there as they deal with this horrific tragedy.

Solemn Sound

330634 Potch
100 Soldiers
48 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I never was worried about security at any of the schools I went to. [Unrelated racial generalizations removed]

My college is much of the same way. [Unrelated racial generalizations removed]
Our security here is very relaxed they only have a few on duty at a time and they dont even carry flashlights or anything lol but there has only been one thing that has happened at my school where I thought my safety was in question.

I was at the dining hall with my girlfriend at the time and we always ate lunch late on this day since it was right after our class and our class didnt end till like 1:30 or later. Anyways it was just me and her in the dining hall we were just sitting there and chatting while eating and suddenly we hear this yelling. [Unrelated racial generalizations removed]

I actually wanted to leave while this was happening but for some reason my girlfriend wanted to stay and watch. I told her I would come back to haunt her if I died here lol

[Edit: Vextor]

Geddoe

Eyepatches of the Faith

397934 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay, okay. Just before this gets really...interesting, I would like to ask the following things from all future respondents:

1. Please answer the question presented and
2. Leave generalizations of others out of it.

It just makes for a nicer topic. Thanks.

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No amount of increased security will stop this sort of thing, especially if the culprit is a student (although I haven't heard if that's the case). Collges and universities are more open and harder to secure than highschools anyhow (multiple buildings and many access points). You can't put a lid on this problem because it won't go away-- the cause lies elsewhere anyhow and it's complicated. Banning the sales and ownership of firearms? Well, people will still be able to buy them in the black market. More "moral based" education? But you'd still have people who show aberrant behavior. Perhaps things like this will simply continue to happen and there's nothing we can really do about it.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's not a matter of security. If it was, Canadian, Australian and European colleges would be brimming with homicides. The problem goes deeper than that.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Anais

Undaunted Men in Blue

272868 Potch
0 Soldiers
658194 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I can only speak for middle schools and high schools, but I think that most schools aren't prepared for violence. It seems to me that security only becomes an issue after an incident, and at that point the damage is already done. If the threat was false or stopped in time, members of the community are already terrified; if the threat wasn't stopped, then people are already injured or dead.

I've noticed that schools have "lockdown drills" and act like the problem is solved, as though a gunman would be fooled by darkened rooms and locked doors. Honestly I think it's less for actual security/safety and more for peace of mind.

But also, I don't think that the schools are entirely at fault for being unprepared, given the number of hoaxes that turn up. My school has had two security incidents in the past two years. The first was a threat of "Columbine part two" last year. It happened to be some fool's senior prank, and the district tried to make an example of him by pushing for the maximum 20 year prison sentence and $20,000 fine (he was eighteen at the time). The second threat was yesterday night. Someone phoned in a bomb threat for two middle schools and two high schools, so they canceled school today for investigations. No one thinks that the threat was genuine. IMO, the public is sort of desensitized to school shootings and bomb threats, so certain people think that it's okay to joke or lie about.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

IMO, the public is sort of desensitized to school shootings and bomb threats, so certain people think that it's okay to joke or lie about.

Or some kids are idiots. That explains it too.

Threats are usually exactly that, just people being idiots because they were either dared to do it or were on some drug.

Shootings are much more involved. Even on drugs, most people have the common sense to not do something like this if they have something to live for. These kinds of incidents are usually going to be someone who's given up all hope, and wants to take as many people down with them as they can. The most obvious cause for this is as I said, stress.

Eyepatches of the Faith

397934 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/16/campus.security/index.html

I'm just throwing this link here to add to Gil-chan's original discussion so that we have a little more information to discuss. Enjoy.

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

John Layfield wrote:
It's not a matter of security. If it was, Canadian, Australian and European colleges would be brimming with homicides. The problem goes deeper than that.

I think that speaks more to removing stress as the reason than to removing security. Schools outside the US are notoriously more difficult than those in the US, both to get in to and to succeed in. Of course, that could be spun in a way that means those who get into universities in other countries are more prepared for it than those that get into them in the US as a whole, but it could really be spun any number of ways.

I do not believe that stress is not a factor. Stress is definitely a factor in it, but it's a combination of many different things, not the least of which being just a mental lapse in the person committing the acts.

I agree with Vex in that these aren't the sort of things that you can really prevent, especially on a college campus. Where I go to school (and I didn't hear about this until this thread), there are countless ways to enter from all directions. An incident like this would really be an impossible thing to prevent without measures that are so extreme that we wouldn't want it.

All these drills, they figure into play after it has happened, but they don't' really prevent a person from walking into a building, pulling out a gun, shooting people, and shooting himself. For the peace of mind comment Anais made, I agree wholeheartedly that they're spawned for the peace of mind. It's the same way kids in school used to have nuclear bomb drills where they got under their desks and put their hands between their legs. A half-inch piece of plywood or plastic isn't going to prevent a bomb from damaging you, the practices gave people a belief that there was something they could do, when there wasn't.

So what really is the cause behind it? I think Yvl is correct to say that stress is a major factor. I don't agree with him when he says that most people have common sense, even on drugs, to not do something like this, as it's what many drugs (alcohol included) actually do, remove mental barriers from doing things. However, I haven't seen anything saying the shooter was on drugs, so I won't comment further on that. I don't think stress is the only factor. I think there was likely non-stress related psychosis involved, since not nearly every person who has stress takes actions like this. I don't know if I would attribute it to desensitization of people because of the media, as that's always a rather shaky ground to stand on.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

We really can't say or even guess as to what set-off this specific gunman in Virginia Tech. The fact is that he hasn't even been confirmed as being someone affiliated with the University. This factor alone just reinforces the fact that security in colleges and universities cannot be foolproof.

As several have always mentioned these types of schools are designed to be open and accessible to students, faculty and guests in every way. Sure, there are security measures in more sensitive areas of the campus, but overall one could enter any building in a college/university campus and not be stopped by any type of security checkpoint. This is how it was in my day when I went to San Francisco State University in 1991-92.

Maybe security has changed since then, but an individual determined to cause as much damage and havoc will find a way to the densely populated campus buildings. Really, security measures I've seen in colleges and universities now are quite lax and minimal compared to what one finds in high-rise security. I've worked in the security industry for over a decade and can attest to that fact. College and university presidents do not want a campus that resembles a place under siege with metal detectors, security checkpoints and other forms of security to keep students and faculty safe. These visually overt types of security adds a certain level of safety to a campus, but it also gives it a negative image.

Since Columbine, I actually think that high school security has improved and I deem much better than one finds in colleges and universities. I think in high school, parents would rather have a higher level of security if it means keeping their kids safe. Also, inner-city high school campuses have become some of the most secured places in the country that is not a government, military or high-rise complex. Unfortunately, this is due to the surrounding environment of drugs, crime and gang activity. These inner-city schools will have levels of security that would not just keep the students inside safe, but also separate the outside environment from intruding upon the campus.

Liberatori di Inferno

26524 Potch
63 Soldiers
123938 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Indeed this is an awful tragedy that has happened, no amount of explanations are good enough for these 31 people's families who have passed on. When I first saw the news this morning, I thought maybe it had to do with a copy cat of Columbine which happened 4/20/1999.....but seeing how I am four days off it is an entirely different case in Virginia. These type of occurrences ruin it for students because I'm sure now the rules will be much more strict in dormatories as well on campuses out of fear this will happen again.

"Devoted Protector of Lord Logg and Lady Valeria"
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

not the least of which being just a mental lapse in the person committing the acts.

The act was premeditated, or it never would have been pulled off.

Oh by the way, in case nobody caught this: This is the worst mass murder in US history, easily beating out Columbine.

Yes, colleges are low in security, but no lower than any public building. I know that in the wake of this, overemotional idiots are going to be violently calling for an increase in security on campuses even if they aren't the ones attending, and totally missing the fact that this could have happened anywhere.

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

School shooting in England are never commited by students, there have been a few incidents with adults who target schools but this is a rarity to say the least in England. I hear this sort of thing happens alot in america but not many people are killed like in this incident. I guess my opinion as to what should be done is the same as what I posted in the "Rights to wield arms" thread. I dont think guns should be legal in any country becuase of the simple fact that guns are lethal machines designed for killing and are insanely easy to use. I dont think this will ever happen in America but I hope most countries will learn that fire arms are too dangerous to be given to the general public.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: