Suikoden Uncanny and Informational Kibbutz Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

What American accent do you have?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

Potch
Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Again I have been slammed with the Queen, why stereotype me?! I am more than a British accent that likes tea. :'( Ohhh cruel world... By the way Sophita, if I for once read a post and you spell colour without a u, I will destroy you as previously mentioned.

The Queen does not approve of you.

They need to make a test for British accents, see what you guys get, that'd be funny.
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

Potch
Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What American accent do I have?
My Result: The Midland

Quote:
"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

I got them in this order, which is nice since The South is where I'm from but I don't feel like I have a Southern Drawl.
The South
Philadelphia
The Northeast
The Inland North
The West
Boston
North Central
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

Potch
Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm curious, can anybody speak with another accent besides their normal one? My grandfather spoke with a heavy irish accent, and I picked it up growing up. So I can talk with an at least some what acceptable irish accent if I wanted to.

Anyone else?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dew Dust

Potch
Soldiers
104 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fun quiz!

Quote:
Your Result: The Northeast
Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.

The Inland North
Philadelphia
The Midland
Boston
North Central
The West

Definitely sounds right since I live in New York.

Disciples of Death

Potch
Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Got me too, said Northeast and I'm from New York.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Flare

Flying Bolts of Doom

Potch
Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The West

Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.

The Midland
North Central
Boston
The Inland North
Philadelphia
The South
The Northeast

I'm from Northern IL....so, it got it the accent right, but the location wrong. I don't think that an hour and a half south of Chicago is in the west...but that's just me.
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

Potch
Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sophita wrote:
Everybody has an accent. You just can't hear it. ;)

When people say "you don't have an accent", they generally mean you have a very standardized accent. A midland accent would be a standardized American one.

I was only taking my exact words from the quote the quiz gave me. ^^

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

Potch
Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Milan Fiori wrote:
I'm curious, can anybody speak with another accent besides their normal one? My grandfather spoke with a heavy irish accent, and I picked it up growing up. So I can talk with an at least some what acceptable irish accent if I wanted to.

Anyone else?

Even though I couldn't personally hear it, my parents once accused me of speaking with a Scottish accent. It's pretty odd since, while both sides of my family are predominantly Scottish, nobody in the family has spoken with a Scottish accent.
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

Potch
Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I'm from Northern IL....so, it got it the accent right, but the location wrong. I don't think that an hour and a half south of Chicago is in the west...but that's just me.

It's all in perspective. Anything west of Philadelphia to me is the Midwest or beyond.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

Potch
Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's similar to how we consider which provinces to be eastern or western, basically anything east of Manitoba are eastern provinces.
Sailor Sexy

Mikan weeps for Brady

Potch
Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Your Result: The West

Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.

Close matches:

The Midland
Boston
North Central

I'm from the Midwest, Minnesota to be precise, but I didn't have an accent. Now I live in Massachusetts, and I most certainly do not have one of those accents, so I'm not sure how Boston worked into the mix. At least according to the bar, it was a low match, while the midland one was almost as close as the West. And yes, you can be without an accent, calling it a standardized accent is splitting hairs ;)

~Uguu!~
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

Potch
Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Milan Fiori wrote:

Anyone else?
Someone once said that my brother has a chinese accent but I don't
I don't know what they meant by that (in my opinion I don't think my brother has an accent) but if that's considered a chinese accent then I can talk that with that accent too (I'd just have to imitate my brother then? xp)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

Potch
Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hayashi Ujitsuna wrote:
By the way Sophita, if I for once read a post and you spell colour without a u, I will destroy you as previously mentioned.

The Queen does not approve of you.

That threat hasn't hasn't had much value for a great many years now, given how the English monarchy is essentially a powerless group that mostly exists to live off your tax dollars for tradition's sake. :D

But luckily for you, I enjoy saying colour.

Is there a British quiz? Perhaps you should make one.

Sailor Sexy wrote:
And yes, you can be without an accent, calling it a standardized accent is splitting hairs ;)

No, you can't. Even if you have a standardized American accent, if you were in a room with say, 10 English speakers from London, they would all agree you had an accent. ;)

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

Potch
Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sophita wrote:
Sailor Sexy wrote:
And yes, you can be without an accent, calling it a standardized accent is splitting hairs ;)

No, you can't. Even if you have a standardized American accent, if you were in a room with say, 10 English speakers from London, they would all agree you had an accent. ;)

This is true and works vice versa. I'm sure you'd say an English person who used "standard English" had an accent and you'd attribute it as so.

EDIT: It's too late for me to destroy you Sophita, I will get around to it later.
SwissStopwatch

Largest Falco Tribute Band Ever

Potch
Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmmn. Interesting. It didn't quite occur to me that you could, in fact, come up with a test to figure out what accent somebody used without hearing them speak. I guess one would know how they themselves talk, though. Anyway, the test gave me Inland North. Sheesh, just because I can tell the difference between most words... oh wait, that's missing the point. Anyway, I live in Chicago, so this is pretty much spot on. And yes, I do call carbonated beverages "pop".
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Advertisements & Fun Links All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: