Suikoden Uncouth and Illegal Keystone Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Patriotism, or Nationalism?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Patriotism, or Nationalism? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quite an interesting topic about the modern US, as it was an interesting topic in Europe during the war era. Is the attitude many American hold about their own country patriotic, or nationalist? How do you feel about patriotism, and nationalism? How do you think nationalist beliefs in America, have and will continue to effect our world relations?

Personally, I think "patriotism" is a word abused by many Americans who would like to put a positive spin on their nationalist beliefs. That's not a generalization of all Americans. I'd like to say that I'm patriotic, but do I think that America is best country in the world? Of course not, we're far from perfect. No country can really be considered perfect. Yet many American people blindly say that America is the greatest country in the world without even know that there are other countries besides Mexico or Canada.

So anyways, do you think nationalism in the US is a growing problem?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Masaya

Flying Fusillades

222963 Potch
75 Soldiers
3635 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My Vietnam War History teacher liked to explain Nationalism as "Patriotism on Steroids". Meaning Nationalism is Patriotism, just to the extream that one can not contain themsleves and must shout out, act for their country. Nationalism being unable to contain. I don't really consider myself either though so who am I to talk. :-P

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think nationalism and patriotism are different. The idea of nationalism being a strong patriotism allows nationalists to exploit that mask and to be heard even more so than people just proud to be part of their country.
Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Im English and very prideful of my country and its history and I think this is natural and healthy for people to be proud of where they came from but when it becomes a dominating factor to the point where Im actually using the actions of other members of my nation past or present to make out that I am somewhat superior to others, not like racism or bigotry but just a sort of smugness that I think alot people think Americans have. Im sure this is'nt true of all americans however so I try not to paint them with the same brush becuase whether you like America or not, its an undeniably a great nation which has made great acheivements.

Mostly I dont mind Americans thinking that they are the greatest nation ever becuase its a new nation on the grand scale and I guess the people need that moral boost. Almost every country has hundreds of thousands of years of history to feel proud of and I think America now more than ever with the Iraq war is starting to realise that its not all that and every country big or small is'nt perfect.

One more thing though. What do they mean when they say "All American" girl or boy when desribing young people who are doing well? I've always wondered what comes to mind.

Headstrong

317417 Potch
2460 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Many people from every country love their country a lot. Some hate their country. And some are over-loving of their country. The people who think they are patriotistic, in my opinion, are the nation lovers. The Nationalists are the over-loving people. At least, that's how it's been portrayed to me.

I like America. It's fun living here, but in many ways, we are not perfect. Upon going to Europe last year, I saw how different things were. Many other countries have more freedoms than America does, and yet, we call ourselves "The Land of The Free".

I think things could improve in America. Do I hate it? No. Do I LOVE it? No. I think it's okay. I'm glad that I was born here, rather than in countries where I would be killed if I said something wrong. But, I also think that we are not the greatest country in the world.
ard, save the dirty talk for when we meet!
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

To me, a patriot is a person who really cares about the welfare of the nation and its people, and would thus willingly fight against the ruling powers if their polices are destructive towards the nation and its people. Examples would be Germans who fought against the Nazis during WWII.

A nationalist on the otherhand would dogmatically adhere to a nation's policy, even if it is destructive to the nation and even to the nationalist himself. Examples would be Germans who stuck with the Nazis even after it was apparent that their policies were destructive for Germany.
CAPTAIN PLANET

Headstrong

317417 Potch
2460 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Those are good examples, Vex.
ard, save the dirty talk for when we meet!
Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Vextor wrote:
To me, a patriot is a person who really cares about the welfare of the nation and its people, and would thus willingly fight against the ruling powers if their polices are destructive towards the nation and its people. Examples would be Germans who fought against the Nazis during WWII.

A nationalist on the otherhand would dogmatically adhere to a nation's policy, even if it is destructive to the nation and even to the nationalist himself. Examples would be Germans who stuck with the Nazis even after it was apparent that their policies were destructive for Germany.

This is a good example. I guess this is the way that Patriotism and Natiolism can be dangerous. I think people who are blindly prideful and really dont question the actions of their county and its leaders can be 'dangerous' if push comes to shove. I think Patriotism is'nt all bad and it can be good to be proud of where you come from and pay attention to what is going on. But I dont think something like Nazism will happen again but you never know. I guess what Im trying to say is that when the people of a country are so convinced that they are so great, so noble and so superior will cause those said people to ignore the less flattering actions of their country.

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'll post over the reply I made to this in Tinto since my take on it probably doesn't comply with the norm. By the way Masaya, your avatar renders you my new favorite person here.

Well, if the terms are defined by the times I would think 'patriotism' bears a more negative connotation than 'nationalism', considering the US has been employing it in every propaganda piece they've put out since the onset of this whole Iraq jumble. My definition of the two words is a bit different though.

Dictionary.com offers
pa·tri·ot·ism "devoted love, support, and defense of one's country; national loyalty." and "love of country and willingness to sacrifice for it"
as opposed to
na·tion·al·ism "an idiom or trait peculiar to a nation." and "a movement, as in the arts, based upon the folk idioms, history, aspirations, etc., of a nation." among other more generic definitions.

I tend to view the two under these terms, and as such think of nationalism as a better trait than patriotism. Patriotism to me is a love of the institution - of the state. A patriot in an American sense is one who loves the Constitution and the unity of a nation under it., and an excessive patriot, a 'nationalist' as you coined it, is someone whose admiration, blind or otherwise, for the symbol of the United States gives them a feeling of superiority and manifest destiny. While a large number of US citizens do fall under this category I imagine there are far fewer today than in prior generations.

Nationalism as I see if can barely exist in the United States with the US as the focal point. I regard it as a love for one's culture and heritage. Since fewer nations today are bound and defined by cultures than in the past, the term coined can be misleading. Excessive nationalism as we know it probably took hold in the 19th and 20th centuries, in part because enormous technological advancements provided easy means for cultures to mingle and people to settle away from their native lands. Local traditions were overrun with foreign cultures and people were rightfully angered by it. That protests against this turned at times to violence and racism, say in the British RAC movement of the 80s and the Norwegian black metal scene of the 90s, may be frowned upon, but it can certainly be empathized with. Those at fault had a legitimate cause but took perhaps the wrong approach. Excessive patriotism in contrast seems far more self-serving.

Both may have similar ends, but excessive patriotism stems from a desire to feel distinct and superior to others, whereas excessive nationalism stems from a desperation to preserve one's identity and thus results in a feeling of superiority. The latter seems far more respectable to me.
Eden

Private Godwin Army

564676 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, as many people I do love my country. Unless most here I come from Germany. To be even the tiniest bit patriotic is looked at suspicious by people from other nations as well as fellow Germans.
I like my country, because I think it does many things right and has established a system that can compete with any other on this planet. It is not perfect, but perfect systems only exist in the plans of thinkers and philosophers.
Even I myself don't go around, because it is actually true that there to many people here who don't say: "Germany is not perfect, but does it best to make life better for as many as possible", but rather insist: "Germany is not perfect, but at least it is better than the worthless scum around the world." Although this are too many, they are not the majority and still it seems as if this is what other nations think of us.
This doesn't really help much, because it is unbelievable how many discussions about Germany are cut off from any base, because people said at one point: "(...) but the Nazis!"
I don't want people to forget about that time, but still I hope that people are able too look further and see that Germany back then is differerent from the democratic country it is today.
To make this at least sound as if it answers the topic: being patriotic in Germany is harder than in most countries and being nationalist is unbearable for others.

The Fool
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I actually have always viewed Nationalism as Sh4dak described it in his post, which made wonder why in the first post it was posted as a "growing problem". However, that is probably due to the fact that I've been very exposed to the word, seeing as there are some Nationalist movements in Puerto Rico, and there was even a Nationalist Party many years ago, which at one point gained a lot of support. All of these Nationalistic movements have the goal of achieving the Independence of Puerto Rico, which ties in with the ideals behind Nationalism.

In a way, you could say that I have many nationalistic ideas. I think that since Puerto Rico is a culture all of its own, with its own language and people of different ethnic background, that it has the right of self determination, that is, that it is our people who should decide the fate of Puerto Rico, not the United States goverment.

Meanwhile, Patriotism is viewed more as a love for one's country, and what appears to be happening in the US, from what I've witnessed is a case of excessive patriotism, which should not be confused with Nationalism.
Equus

Sindarin Speed Bumps of Rage

197132 Potch
0 Soldiers
2993 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kiki wrote:
I actually have always viewed Nationalism as Sh4dak described it in his post, which made wonder why in the first post it was posted as a "growing problem".

I think it's generally accepted that nationalism can have a variety of meanings, and the accepted view of "nationalist" as in arts movements or other cultural identity doesn't carry the negative connotations that the term carries when referring to, for instance, the use of nationalism as a political tool in the rise of Nazi Germany.

While using Google on nationalism, I found an interesting entry on Stanford University's website from the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy that basically draws the line for the more modern and negative connotation as being where the nationalist identity involves superiority of the national ideal over individual claims of the nation's own citizens and prioritizes the sovereignty of that nation. It goes on to describe the general idea of "patriotism" as being more closely aligned with civic loyalty.

I tend to think that revivalist nationalism is what is most often where the more negative connotation comes, and I really don't necessarilly believe in a nation's "right" to exist. In my mind, the nation is there to serve the people, and once a "nationalist" idea supercedes the good of the people, the concept has become misused.

When patriotism or nationalism is put in such a light as to make it impossible to raise dissenting opinions...effectively making it a "America, love it or leave it" kind of thing...is when I take issue with things. Take that with a grain of salt, however, since I grew up in Hawaii as a third generation Japanese American, so I really haven't always felt a particularly deep connection with the patriotic American idea. Not that I dislike my country or anything.

Sniper Zegai wrote:
One more thing though. What do they mean when they say "All American" girl or boy when desribing young people who are doing well? I've always wondered what comes to mind.

I think it can refer to either the idea of "American like apple pie" or an ideal American, or in sports it usually refers to what you might think of as an elite group within the nation. Like the World Cup team would be considered "All American" because it theoretically contains the best of what all of American can offer.

I think that's what it means anyway. That's what it means in my head. :?
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, i'm not a patriot, so i don't really conenct to people who are proud of their country, even with my fellow Pakistanis. On a scale of 1 to 10, i'm probably a 3, a 4 at most.

But i share the views of many of the postere here. I guess that there's nothing wrong in being proud of your country. So Patriotism isn't a problem. But i do have problems with Nationalists from all around the world. To me, they strike me as xenophobic, narrow-minded and plays on the fears and frustrations of the people for their political gains. When i see the news about the policies of Nationalists/ far-right parties in France or in Australia, i can't help but get annoyed with their stubborness to promote their racism, but never calling it that. But that is my impression, i might be wrong about them.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

From another thread:

Sniper Zegai wrote:

I dont really but it as how America is portryaed through the media.

There always seems to be someone complaining about something in America and Immagration is just one of the things that get alot of attention media wise. And I guess its the American attitude that gives them a mild racist appearance. The simple fact that Americans (and Im not saying all of them of course) seems to think they are superior somehow just for being American, they use terms like "God Bless America", "Greatest country in the world" and my personal favourite "All american person/family/etc, etc" gives the impression that the rest of the world is inferior somehow or if I stepped foot in America I would'nt be welcome becuase Im not American. But as I said Im not saying this is all Americans or even most Americans, Its just what I see most media wise.

Firstly, 99% of media is bullshit. They know that things that are considered outrageous cause people to be glued to their TV / paper / etc so they either only report on the outrageous things or they present them in a way that causes outrage. The pompous american one seems to be common in other countries.

Second, America is one of the first countries to even allow immigration. As I said in that thread, the only group of people that a notable number of americans have a problem with are the illegal mexicans. Any other anti-immigration issues are minute and dont even deserve media attention.

Also realize (and most non-americans seem to really fall into this trap) is that America is friggin huge. It's impossible to compare Pennsylvania's culture to Texas'. Each state may as well be its own country as far as discussion about the american people. The majority of the bad things you hear about America will probably come from the region known as the "Bible Belt," which is only about a quarter of America. The subcultures that disgrace america tend to be more prevalent there - the gun nuts, rednecks, republicans (j/k), etc. And even further dispersed into that subculture are the nationalists that worship the American Flag as a God - the kind that you are probably hearing about on the news.

As for the quotes you picked out, "God Bless America" are lyrics from a patriotic song. "Greatest country in the world" comes from those nationalists and gun nuts that focus solely on our military capability, or from people that are trying to encourage themselves or others. Frankly, any country could use that if they wanted to, so it really can't be held against us. I've never understood "All-american," nor have I heard it used since like 1995, but I believe it refers to being culturally american.

Quote:

na·tion·al·ism "an idiom or trait peculiar to a nation." and "a movement, as in the arts, based upon the folk idioms, history, aspirations, etc., of a nation." among other more generic definitions.

It does not just apply to the arts, but to the military as well. Unless one considers war an art.

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Couple of things, not really anything in depth but just some clarification and things that stood out in Yvl's post I wanted to comment on so excuse my quotings if you don't like a post written that way but there's only three things (four with a wiki quote added too).

Quote:
The pompous american one seems to be common in other countries.

I wouldn't say it's a 'pompous' stereotype that gets portrayed but instead a highly patriotic one. One that makes Americans seem a bit extreme in their love of their country, patriotism isn't a bad thing of course but I think the way America is shown is made to make the American person seem maybe what we would (or I at least) in Europe might think excessive or over the top. Still this may be what we see or what is portrayed on television but I've not met many Americans who go on about how great their nation is. Still, would I say the average American is more patriotic than the average European, or that America as a nation is more patriotic than my own country? I think I would. It's things like being required to recite the pledge of alleigance in schools (if this is still the case, I suspect it may vary by state or even school) that make me err to that conclusion, we don't have a similar convention here, most people don't even realise there's a second verse to 'God save the Queen'.

Quote:
Second, America is one of the first countries to even allow immigration.

I just found this slightly funny because of the way America was colonised, the nation has very diverse ethnicities as a result of the widespread colonisation by a multitude of immigrants hailing from all over Europe. A nation almost formed off the back of massive immigrations were one of the first to allow it, hardly surprising I suppose!

Quote:
I've never understood "All-american," nor have I heard it used since like 1995

Don't they use it in college sports or something? Naming top college footballers as All-Americans each year or something along those lines?

Quote:
Currently, the term is used in U.S. team sports to refer to players who are selected by members of the national media. The term is used primarily with regard to college and occasionally, and more controversially, to high school players. Outstanding professional players usually are referred to as all-stars, or, in the case of professional American football, All-Pros, who are selected by the fans to compete in Pro Bowl games.

Selection to an All-American team, however, is primarily of an honorary nature and All-America "teams", generally, are not assembled for the purpose of playing games as a unit, as is found among some of the all-star teams.

The original use of the term "All-America" seems to have been in reference to a list of college football players who were regarded by the football pioneer, Walter Camp, as the best at their respective positions. Camp first compiled this list in the 1890s.

As I suspected. Anyway now I've said that I don't intend to argue about anything I've said (if someone disagrees with me, fine) but if anyone wants some kind of clarification on my meaning anywhere I'll provide it. I don't tend to like these kinds of discussions generally, I mostly just wanted to clarify on the 'pompous' thing and the usage of 'all-american' is all I just kind of rambled on from there a bit.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: