Suikoden Utopian and Irenic Knowledge Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Because someone should ask about Oskar... (minor spoilers?)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Emissary Peregrine

First Corps of Royal Emissaries

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Because someone should ask about Oskar... (minor spoilers?) Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

About Oskar:
Okay, we know that Oskar isn't the characters real name. That's simple enough; there are lots of characters whose names aren't known (like Geddoe's team in Suikoden III, save Geddoe and Joker, of course). But Deborah says [rather cryptically, I might add,] that Oskar has lots of secrets. Again, no biggy, because in Suikodens, lots of secrets leave us in the dark on a lot of issues. However, one thing bugs me. I mean really bugs me:

1. Put Oskar in your party.
2. Make sure all the fighters are male.
3. Go to the bath.

Was I the only one who thought Oskar was a woman?
I've seen guides that say that. So how come s/he is taking a bath with the guys? Oskar is a name I usually associate with men, but it just didn't seem to matter in so many things before now that I really didn't mind...

What's the deal?

-Will Rogers

Take the diplomacy out of war and the thing would fall flat in a week.

-Ibid.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oskar always seemed like a feminine male to me. Just my opinion. His face does look a bit girlish though. I can see why you thought that.

Joker's name in Wang by the way.
camus_greenhill

Office of the Merchant Guild Secretary

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Don't feel bad, I've read guides that said Sheena was a chick.
mishia

Arcania Orion

109 Potch
89 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was quite sure that Oskar was a male. Even though I first talked to him at Middleport before being exiled, I though Oskar was female but my sis told me he was a male. I only confirmed it when I got him later. I suppose he is just more feminine?

I don't get the thing with Wendel. I'm sure she is a she but why does Nico call her a he?
Solitude

Fallen Angels

495 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well if you take a look at the full body portraits of these two characters we can clearly see that Wendel is female. Nico calling her a he was probably just a typo on the translators part. Or it could of been intentional and it could of been Nico bashing on Wendel's tomboyishness.

Anyway Konami's "official" strategy guide calls Wendel a she and Oskar a he in there little profile section so I think the mystery is solved.
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There's no doubt about Wendell gender, I assure you :) I pick the latter of MiB's guesses: Nico is trying to put her down for being boyish. More the fool, him, then.
Blackjack

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I took it more as Nico being completely clueless about things than it was him "putting her down."

As for Oskar, I actually always knew that he was a he. Because...Well, I'm playing Suikoden. I expect these sorts of things to happen. :)

YES. YES IT CAN.

"Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming." -- Myrna Loy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought Oskar was a she to, then I took a bath and I saw an extra head poking from the water. I was supprized. I wish they'd do more, oskar looks to entersting to just be "the secrete-filled one who sips tea with some old chick" unfortunatly only fan fiction could be an answer.

what is their realtionship? do they just drink tea and gossup? why is he with her? whats with the guy?
I thought Nallo was a girl to.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Emissary Peregrine

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It was all so shocking... *gradually recovering composure*

Also, Everyone's Grudge, I was aware of Joker's real name. Reread that bit carefully... The list is of the exceptions.

-Will Rogers

-Ibid.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Weyoun

Jem'Hadar

221521 Potch
100 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I always thought that Oskar was a female before i went in the bath and he was on the guys side.

The face made me thing he was a women but the name made me think he was guy.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tonberry

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I also thought that Nalleo was female. What kind of guy would where that outfit?
Tonberry

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I also thought that Nalleo was female. What kind of guy would where that outfit?
The Emissary Peregrine

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden has taught us that names mean NOTHING! There are plenty of names that can't be placed, or seem to belong to the wrong sex, or, just seem too odd to be names, so I wasn't going to judge if some girl was named Oskar. But it turns out I don't have to think about it...

...which is worse than actually thinking about it.

Also, Nalleo's outfit reveals little. Anyone remember the protagonist from Tales of Destiny II (alternatively named Tales of Eternia)? He had his belly showing.

*nods to himself*

Yes, it's all part of the maturation of the sexual revelotion. Since it (the revolution) was killed off while in its prime, and therefore incomplete, only small, nearly ineffective steps may be taken to move towards the inevitable goal after said killing. It would have been more effective and efficient to just have let it run its course.

-Will Rogers

-Ibid.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

why does ToD2 have two titles? is Eternia the "Japanese" title translation? I'm borroing it.

anway yeh I thought "wow a girl named Oskar, plus his body language and outfit seemd to have "that look", then again count D from pet shop of horrors has be described as having "the mysterious woman" look (or so I read)

But guys in belly shirts...I mean do you really do those things? Usualy thats a female show-off thing. I'm not flaming it, heck I have an character design with such a shirt (like a male tube-top)

anway if you beat suikoden 4, they do say hes a he.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Marshmallow

Shikigami

203358 Potch
110 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oskar's gender questionability was absolutely nothing compared to Tuta. I went for about three years believing that Tuta was female. Luckily with Oskar, the guide pointed it out to me.

I'll chalk the whole Nico/ Wendell thing up to mistranslation. This is suikoden after all. :P
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: