Suikoden Unique and Illegal Kosher Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

NHL Playoffs 2007
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sai Fujiwara

Executors of Divine Providence

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Welll, Game 1 in Detroit is over, and the Ducks got DOMINATED. By that, I mean they were stoned cold by the amazing performance of Detroit goaltender, Dominik Hasek. I gotta' admit I was skeptical of how well he would perform in the playoffs, given his age, but I think if you're a Senators fan, you gotta' be kicking yourself that your team didn't re-sign this guy.

While, in reality, The Ducks really weren't dominated, Detroit's penalty kill did an outstanding job killing what seemed like a disproportionate amount of Anaheim power plays. Detroit had far fewer scoring opportunities because of Anaheim's outstanding defensive play. It seemed that every time Detroit got in their zone, a defenseman or a stick was there to break up a pass or the set up.

Maybe a little luck went the way of the Wings this game. While both of the first two goals scored were great, (one by Detroit, then by Anaheim) the game-winner seemed to be something of a lucky bounce. Still, what stands out is that Detroit made use of their power plays, while Anaheim didn't.

I can tell this series will be closely fought. Both teams played awesome defense, and Anaheim did seem to control most of the offense in this one. I was dismayed by some of the Ducks' cheap shots, particularly on Hasek, but that's just their style. I think Calgary and San Jose prepared the Wings for this, and IF they can survive this series, I don't think it will matter who they face in the finals.

They're off to a great start. They only need to beat Anaheim three more times. Sounds a lot easier than it will be, though. While the Wings are talented enough to win in four, I think this one goes six or seven games. And I still won't say that the Wings win it for sure. :P

Happily Married to the Lovely Lady Chris Lightfellow! :D
Dragonstar13

13th Dragon brigade

493466 Potch
5000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm sure you're all as surprised as I am, but I really didn't think the Sens would win 3 games in a row against the Sabers.

Detriot and Anahiem are up tomorrow.

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Agreed. Buffalo is all but finished now.

I'm hopeful that Detroit can split in Anaheim like they did in San Jose. I think if they can do that, and go back home 2-2, they can win this series in 6 or 7.

Dragonstar13

13th Dragon brigade

493466 Potch
5000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Detriot came back with vengance. 5-0 in the Anahiem building. Didn't think the Red Wings would shut them out by this much.

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I said it in the beginning and I'll say it again, Detroit is going all the way. 7 Games with the sens in the finals. This is going to be a wicked final.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Delsaber

New Gaien Wildcards

132495 Potch
1660 Soldiers
2625 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When was the last time a team came back from a 3-0 deficit in a conference final? 1975? Mark my words, it's looking like a Detroit/Ottawa final, which means this could be the third year in a row ( I think) in which Canada has come so freaking close to bringing the cup home, yet... well, who knows how this one will end. Either way, the Sens are golden, and all those poor Leafs fans are on the outside looking in... that, my friends, is absolutely, positively, delicious!
Sai Fujiwara

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Detroit won the game it needed to, and with a suspension to Chris Pronger (who definitely deserved it), the Red Wings have a golden opportunity to win both in Anaheim and get a chance to close it out at the Joe on Sunday. The crappy thing about Pronger's suspension means that IF Detroit wins tonight, they won't have faced the Ducks at their best.

But, hey, Detroit started this series without defenseman Mathieu Schneider, so it's probably fair to say that they aren't 100% either.

I certainly don't see Ottawa choking it up here. I think the Senators ought to close out in 5 or 6. And regardless of who shows up in the west (Detroit OR Anaheim), I say that either team will probably win it all in 5. I don't know a ton about the Senators, but I doubt they have the potential to score like crazy on a defense like Anaheim's, especially on a great goaltender like Giguerre on top of that. Detroit's defense is nearly as good, and their goalie, Dominik Hasek, is playing like he's in his prime right now. On top of that, Detroit sports a very potent offense that either Buffalo or Ottawa will have a very hard time dealing with.

Like I said, I think the Canadian people will get pissed again when the West wins it in 5.

Dragonstar13

13th Dragon brigade

493466 Potch
5000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sens won today, so they're going to the finals. Disappointing the series didn't go on for a bit longer.

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, much to my dismay; nobody in the East could beat the Senators. I hate them, I've made that no secret and if anyone wanted, I could go on and on about how much they suck. Canada's Team?!?!? Pfffft.

Detroit might have won if Schnieder didn't go down, but he did and that's just part of playoff hockey. Sometimes it's not how good the team is, but simply how healthy they are. Ask the Sabres last year when they ran out of Defencemen and ended up losing to the 'Canes.

Anyway, new series starts next week, Ottawa vs. Anaheim so....

Anaheim wins in 6. Ottawa has never faced a defence of this calibre. In fact, they never faced a defence in the East. Gonchar, Rosival, Lydman? These are the star defencemen, the shutdown defencemen that Ottawa's "big line" had to deal with? Pffft. Pronger and Niedermeyer are in a whole other level... they are beyond everything Ottawa has seen all playoffs. The real question is if Ottawa can generate second line scoring. If they can't, Anaheim will roll. Anaheim has the offence, the grinders and the veterans to play any style of game you want. They have two goaltenders that can play well.

The difference of Ottawa from this year and the Ottawa of old? Not sitting around waiting for Hossa to do something. And of course this year they finally have a goaltender. They lost depth of scoring and have never been able to produce two consistent lines of scoring. They're just really lucky to have one of the best lines in hockey. That's the nicest thing I'll say about them.

Go Ducks Go!!

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Sai Fujiwara

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I have to agree that Anaheim will win this in 6. I honestly would like to see a Canadian team win it after so long, but I just can't see Ottawa being able to light it up against a defense as good as Anaheim's. Anaheim can play physically, and they've got some good offensive weapons, too. Not as much offense as Detroit had, but they'll have enough to get it done, especially with their physical play.

Also, as good as Ottawa's scoring line is, they'll have to get it by J. S. Giguerre... And you can ask any Red Wing. That guy is not easy to score on, and he pretty much stole the series for Anaheim.

Of course, if Ottawa manages to win it in six, the whole place will likely riot, and even likelier producing one of the most memorable television moments in history. I would like to see that, but I just don't think it'll happen, because Giguerre and his defense will shut the door.

Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As much as I hate to see it happen I think the Anaheim team (will never ever say their team name outloud) will win this series and I see it going in 5 games. I do hope Ottawa wins it just so Anaheim will remain Cup-less. Barring that, if Anaheim does win I hope Ottawa puts some hurting on Pronger and Niedemeyer and Giguere so next season will be iffy for them.

*begins constructing simple voodoo figures of said players*

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I unfortunately have to agree with everyone here. As much as I'd like to see Ottawa win it all (well I didn't want that initially because of Buffalo) I just don't think they can win it all. Unless injuries or flukes happen, Anaheim has the better team. Ottawa though if you look at them should not have beaten the Sabres, but the Sabres just played like shit. If Anaheim doesn't put their all into this series, Ottawa can definitely take it.

Ottawa has heart. You can't say they've been lack luster, especially in their series versus Buffalo. They basically shut down the best team in the NHL with seemingly relative ease.

If Anaheim does win, it will be good for one reason. Teemu Selanne will finally hoist the cup. He's been a good player for a while and just never was on a team that went all the way. He was on the Winnipeg Jets originally, and well we all remember their stinkocity. Then he went to Anaheim back in the days when they were the laughing stock of the NHL. But then he went to San Jose and Colorado, both teams that have had decent success. He just wasn't on the winning end of the Colorado dominance.

So, if Anaheim wins it I'll be happy for Teemu and Pronger and the team, but its a shame because people in California don't give a crap about NHL. Seriously, NBA games that don't even concern California (Non-Laker/Warrior games basically) still get more veiwers there than the Ducks games.

I think if the NHL wants to increase competition they shouldn't expand, but deflate and compact their talent pool. Eliminate teams that don't belong in Hockey. Phoenix, Tampa, Florida, Los Angeles, Nashville and Carolina all come to mind. Oh, Atlanta too. They see ice how often? They see more ice in the summer trying to cool off than in the winter. They have no business in the NHL. But I've said this so many times and of course I'm a meaningless fan and my opinion is moot.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hockey in San Jose is actually pretty strong. I know that its fan-base is some of the loudest in the league nad have stuck by the team during their early expansion days and then through the very low points during the late 90's and early 2000-2002. The support for hockey in Northern California has been and always will be stronger than that in Southern California. The Sharks has the added benefit of being the only pro team in San Jose so people had to cheer for them and them only.

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

30 minutes to game time so I better make my call on who's taking this one.

It's a tough choice for me, Blas has his obvious bias and says the sens haven't faced D like Pronger and Niedermeyer but at home the Sens are going to get the line matches a bit and I don't think the Duck's have faced a line like Spezza, Heatley and Alfreddson themselves, not only are those guys top quality but they're hot right now (think hot like Hansel in Zoolander). Maybe that's where the question lies, the ducks defence or the sens offence because both the ducks and sens have reasonable offence and defence respectively but rely on the other a bit more. Sens D isn't shit, Phillips has been brilliant, better than Redden I think and he certainly hasn't been bad himself but the Sens don't quite match up to the Duck's D, much like you can't say the Ducks offence is bad at all, the 'Kid line' of Penner, Perry and Getzlaf looked really good and McDonald and Selanne are nasty (even without the injured Kunitz on the wing with them) when put together too but they don't match up to Ottawa's.

See this is why it's tough, offence versus defence in some respects, Ducks play a lot tighter than the Sens I think maybe a product of their conference slightly but that's the fact. Traditionally it's defence wins championships so do I stick by that rule...Nope not this time.

I don't know why, call it a hunch, maybe it's because I had the ducks losing in the first round and the sens winning in the first place that I'm doing this but I'm calling the Sens as winners (please still like me after this Blasphemy! I'm sorry!) in let's say 6 games. A home series predominantly but the Sens stealing one in Anaheim leaves them winners in the end, that's my call.

It could still all go horribly wrong for the Sens and the Ducks are a great team too so I'm not confident about calling this one anyway, we'll see. In the words of Wayne and Garth from Wayne's World:

Game on!

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Dragonstar13

13th Dragon brigade

493466 Potch
5000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Ducks won this round.
I hope the Senators come back and beat the Ducks in the next round.

The Ducks are indeed a tough team, but I rather see them lose. I was hoping for the Red wings to beat them, but obviously that didn't work, so I'm placing my hope on to the east. Not really a Sens fan, but I'll take the Sens over the Ducks.
Although personally, I would like to see a long 7 game series.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: