Suikoden United and Infamous Kraalesque Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Trinity Sight versus the Silent Hero
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Trinity Sight versus the Silent Hero Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Someone referred me to this recent Livejournal post about the narrative technique used in the Suikoden games: basically, the Trinity Sight System versus the Silent Hero.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/myaru/252743.html

This is a journal post, so it doesn't necessarily add up 100% (and it's also mostly the author's opinion), but I think the writer brings up a number of very valid points, such as the amount of expansion on storytelling that the Trinity Sight system can achieve, and how a non-silent protagonist can help players "care" more about the hero's personal struggle and their position in the world.

Thoughts?
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

ANYTHING is better than the silent-hero bull that we're constantly being handed in Suikoden games (other than III obviously...) Forgive me for wanting my main character to actually REACT to what's going on. I guess I just don't prefer to have a blank slate on which other characters can project as my only outlet in the game. The best thing that can ever happen to the series is getting rid of the silent hero. The TSS wasn't great, but it was a refreshing change. Let's just have some characters with...well...character.

Phew.

That rant wasn't really directed at anyone BTW, just letting some steam out on the subject. :)

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Solitude

Fallen Angels

495 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I to liked the characters when they had a personality. The TSS was a good change like Lunarblade said and I wouldn't of minded seeing some expansion on that. However I do have to give kudos to Konami for being able to have a silent hero and pull off awesome games over and over again. It wouldn't be overly difficult to have a character with a personality and not have the TSS though. Perhaps then it would be just like every other RPG though.
Watari

Lone Wolf

303 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I always liked that in Suikoden 1 and 2 the heros were both silent. I relate better to a hero that does say anything to a hero like Tidus off of FFX.(shivers)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Raze

Shinigami

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here's the deal with the "silent hero" type games: You are the main character! You are that character's personality, his ego, his conscience. You make the decisions, you put the words in his mouth, and you tell him what to do. Don't believe me? Ask Sid Meyers. In all of his games, the main character rarely shows his face and doesn't speak because you are playing as that character, so he feels that that character should react and behave in the same manners that you do, not what he thinks the character should do.

With the Trinity sight style, you don't really play as much of a role in the game, you just make the decisions for that character when they present you a choice. It's more like playing an interactive movie than "experiencing and living through" a character, in the silent hero types.

While I found the Trinity system fascinating, I'd much rather have the Silent hero complex. It helps prevent you from becoming dissapointed/hating the hero in mid-game. (if you even decide to get that far)

Case in point: Tidus. (that whiny punkass.)

[/rant]

Rend. Slaughter. Devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, warriors of Purgatory.
Neclord

The Spectral Nightmares

163602 Potch
2 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I prefer the silent hero, as said above the whole point of it is you are that character. That is why you name him. Basically the entire point of a RPG, playing a role.

Over the years the entire RPG genre has been changed by the likes of Squaresoft and its heavy advertisement of Final Fantasy, bringing newer RPG fans into the fray. Not that this is bad entirely but it has hurt the genre. Since Final Fantasy VII developers of new RPG games continue to try to make the games easier, faster, and more appealing in attempt to entice gamers.

In short you will find the vast majority of RPG games in the past contained silent heros, because that is the basis of the very name of the genre Role Playing Game. That is something I like about Suikoden, it did not stray from the roots like many others did just to make a buck.

You are not Playing a Role if the character speaks and acts and does anything he wants on his own without your control now are you? No, you are only a bystander.

I continue to emphesize playing a role because I think so many gamers have forgotten the entire ideal behind the genre, or maybe they don't know because they were the ones lured to RPGs by FF7, but the hero is supposed to not speak, because in escence you are supposed to pretend that the hero is you.

the trinity site system and other games have made it to where you are no longer playing a role, but are merely reading a story on the sidelines. Now I admit I do like those games such as Final Fantasy where the hero is not you but just another character, but I will always like Playing a Role and the silent hero better, even if they are both almost extinct.

You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks.
~ Napoleon Bonaparte
Benit149

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Silent Hero system is a strange form of self-insertion, based upon Raze's explanation of it. The company already designs who 'you' are going to be, but the character's reactions and choices are based upon your thoughts as a player, instead of trying to understand where an actual main hero, like the FF heroes, are coming from. Case in point: Cloud. I'll never understand how he became so deluded and confused about his identity. I'm far more prone to believe Riou Genkaku's adventures than Cloud Strife's.

Now let me play Devil's Advocate for a second and say that the Silent Hero system is outdated for games with spoken dialouge, like S4. Everyone around Hero IV talks, but he doesn't. Yes, he is supposed to be your extension into the S4 world, but why not open up scenes of him speaking based upon what choice you made? I just don't see how a bunch of speaking characters can read the mute hero's mind and react accordingly.

One time I can think of laughing from this complex was when you're doing the Banner Village quest to recruit McDohl. Since I got Gremio, I'll be using him instead of Ellie in this example. Gremio did most of the talking for McDohl during S1, but I was hoping that McDohl would gain a voice since you're not playing as him anymore in S2. Lo and behold, McDohl is STILL mute! What's the point of that!? You're Riou now, not McDohl!

Not only that, but Gremio did all the talking for both McDohl and Riou while they pursued the bandits. Like... I don't get it. Why not have McDohl and Gremio do the talking for Riou, since you're not playing as McDohl anymore?

I'll mention a couple of times that the Silent Hero complex bothered me in SIV. Highlight below.

1. When Snowe offers the torch to Hero IV, and he waves his hands around stupidly with his mouth in a silly 'O'. It was like, "Wait, is this MY reaction or HIS reaction?" I thought it was one of the dumbest examples of Silent Hero Syndrome in a Spoken Dialouge Game.

2. When Hero IV and Chiepoo are in the baths. Hero IV has to come alone, yet Chiepoo is explaining his lines for him. This bothered me in that Hero IV wasn't capable of speaking for himself or with Chiepoo.

Now for my opinion on the Trinity Sight system. I prefer this over the Silent Hero in that you get to see the POVs of all three characters... and not just the characters, but the factions they represent. Hugo represented for the Grasslands, Chris for Zexen, and Geddoe for neutrality.

With Hugo, I could see how the Grasslanders were struggling to survive against the Zexens after Karaya was burned down. On the other hand, I could see Chris trying to defend Iksay Village from the Lizard Clan's attack. Neither are right nor wrong. You get to see their motivations and morals for doing these things.

With Geddoe, he remained indifferent and investigative, rather than vengeful, although he does change after he reveals his True Lightning Rune. He didn't side with Grassland or Harmonia: he primarily sided against Harmonia and the Destroyers later because his group found out bits of the truth the soonest.

Now if I were in charge of putting in a POV system, I would made it a Dual Sight System rather than a Trinity Sight, in that you get to see things in the eyes of the Crown/Ruling Party, and those of the Liberation Army. For Suikoden II, I would have Riou as the primary focus still, but there would be times when you could decide if you wanted to see what Highland was doing and what the Highlanders were thinking, or you could play as certain Highlanders for a brief time.

This should have been used in SIV, since the Kooluk and Graham Cray were far too underdeveloped, even with the scenes they got.

Benit149: First Lady of Addervon, Princess of Slight Fever, defender of the Nameless.
Effect

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Personally I don't care for the Silent Hero, which could be why I enjoyed Suikoden 3 so much with the Trinity Sight system. Granted I was watching a story unfold but you were still deciding how it would be told.

While I don't mind picking options in the Silent Hero system but at times it makes no sense. When someone is yelling at your or talking down to you in a game you just sit there and take it. You as the player don't wan to take this but are forced to watch it or deliever a one liners that either completely turn the situation around or just make you look foolish while the other game characters give off speeches. Its a double-edge sword really. While you are the silent hero, there are many times where its hard to get into the game. Same with characters that talk for themsleves, sometimes you don't like what they do but you still are able to direct the direction of the story to some degree.

A dual sight sytem or something like it would be nice in the future. Or at least make your character talkable or allow you to pick which dialogue tree he or she will follow instead of it being one liners. But not go to far that he or she ends up like Tidus where he keeps going and going.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Child of The Sea God

188289 Potch
2671 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well having a silent hero may have been okay for the games back then. Now it's a different story though, I just think it's corny no matter what anyone says if you have a game where characters will actually talk and the main character doesn't say one thing.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Having a silent hero and you being him is no fun when you don't play the game with a buddy. you know even if one watches and the other plays, its like viewing a movie togher, then you can have him say silly things, and somone will experance it with you.

Its pretty funny to see what people do to underdeveloped, silent heros. (suikoden4 journal RP) but yeh, when I played one game the hero wouln't shut up. sure I had other chatty heros, but this one game, he woun't shut up. again, I'd watch my friend play lots of games like Crono Trigger and Secrete of Mana. so...it was a shock.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think I prefer silent hero if it was done properly. Having silent hero would mean that the hero responded once in a while and most likely never initiated a conversation by saying something first, so we would know the hero's personality throughout responses to certain comments/questions, and also through the actions of the hero himself.

Now to make it "properly done", IMO the silent hero must have:
1. Variety in choices. Say for example, we would have choices that would make the hero as a talkative person, an anti-social person, a normal polite person, or a rude person. Of course more choices would be welcome, but I think 4 choices is the normal amount of choices in an RPG.
2. Choices must be relevant and not useless. So in a sense, I expect the choices to have meaning instead of just a one-word response. Choosing different choice would give different reply. Choosing different action would result in different outcome. Last but not least, the choices should affect the small things (for example, having a rude hero would make the townspeople's dialogue become different than having a polite hero, etc).
3. More interaction during recruitment. Suikoden has lots of characters to recruit, and I felt that more interaction between the hero and the SoD would give better personality to the silent hero. It would also show the contrast between the personality of one SoD with the other (for example, say Hix might not mind being bossed around by the hero, but Clive might not. So the relationship between the hero and Hix would be different than the hero with Clive).

In conclusion, I think I'd rather have a silent hero if we're given the chance to shape the hero into how we want him to be.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
More interaction during recruitment. Suikoden has lots of characters to recruit, and I felt that more interaction between the hero and the SoD would give better personality to the silent hero. It would also show the contrast between the personality of one SoD with the other (for example, say Hix might not mind being bossed around by the hero, but Clive might not. So the relationship between the hero and Hix would be different than the hero with Clive).

How are you supposed to introduce more interaction between the hero and the Stars of Destiny if the hero has no personality, and has to follow a pre-scripted set of responses?

As was mentioned in the article, the character usually had a mouthpiece of some kind to characterize him. Gremio, Mathiu, Flik, and Viktor in the first game; Nanami, Flik, and Viktor in the second. They talk to the hero but do not actually get any responses, other than the "I'm glad that you agree with our battle plan. Shall we proceed, Master Tir?"

"Yes, let's get the army ready."
"No, let me prepare for a while."

First of all, did I ever agree with the battle plan? What kind of basis do I have to agree with the battle plan? Does it feel like I'm more immersed in the story; that I'm actually Tir McDohl for agreeing with the battle plan? Can I propose my own battle plan?

You can't even choose what your hero looks like in the Suikoden games.

The self insertion in the Japanese RPG was never very deep. Suikoden is a Japanese RPG where we're given a limited set of choices, and usually only one kind of story path to follow. It's very uncommon to get multiple story branches that are significant (mainly due to the amount of work it is to write three story paths that only a third of players will actually play). Console RPGs also don't tend to introduce the level of character development (aka Stats) that you see in many North American RPGs.

In Ultima 6, for example (great PC RPG), you get total freedom in what you do. Your character is a typical silent hero who says three things: "Name", "Job", and "Bye", which are your initial conversation choices when you meet a new person (they actually make fun of you in a play in the game). However, you get to choose your character portrait at the beginning of the game, and you answer ten situational questions that determine your stats at the start. You get to equip any weapon and armour you want, and the actions you perform in the game actually influence whether or not you can level up. You can choose to sleep with the prostitute, then kill her and rob her afterward, or you can choose not to give money to the beggar, or you can choose to steal the magic crossbow from the retired soldier - these decisions are all A PART OF THE GAME ENGINE, and aren't story-related events. You walk around. You see a crossbow. You can go over to the crossbow and take it; if you do, people react and call you a thief and try to hurt you, and your morality rating goes down.

But Ultima is also not a game filled with intent, deep dialog like Suikoden is. It has a good amount of character development, but it's not quite the same because it focuses more on the game engine and the plot than it does on character interactions. As a result, the Ultima silent hero doesn't feel lacking because the characters are hardly the focus anyway.

Even if the significance was as simple as choosing your portrait or weapon, the game keeping internal variables for your hero that elicit different responses from your stars (i.e. a Beauty metre, that measures how much your hero likes to decorate himself with new clothes or his castle, a bravery metre that measures how quickly your hero kills enemies, a flirt metre that mesures how much your hero puts on the moves with the opposite sex, or a party metre to determine how much your hero likes to drink and party. Based on this, your people react differently to you - if you do this, then you're shaping your hero. A similar kind of system can exist for influence stats in fighting, too. If you're a brutal fighter, you get more Strength, and so forth.

But if you do that kind of work, you need the mechanisms to exist in the game, and traditionally Suikoden doesn't have that. They don't let you choose your portrait and your gender and equip any weapon you want. You don't get to make conversation choices at every turn and party members don't make fun of you for rummaging through other people's closets. Because the tradition of the silent hero is really just "a kid who doesn't talk", it ends up being that the hero seems like a witless, dull, empty character that, some how, through his good looks and random coincidence, has managed to rise to the position of a great army leader.

The silent hero appropriateness depends on the type of game, I think. Suikoden is hardly an RPG - it's more like a movie where you get to explore in between scenes. In a game like Zelda, we don't NEED to learn Link's personality because his personality is irrelevant to the plot (and the plot is usually irrelevant in itself). Similarly for a game like Doom 3. In Ultima and Fallout, your choices are so widespread that they actually influence the external world in unpredictable ways. But in Suikoden, the choices always lead you down one path, and people always respond in the same way. Because of this, I feel that you're not "being" in the shoes of the hero any more than you would be if you were to give him a personality and watch him do things. You might not agree with him and his motivations, but at least you get the picture in his head; you're not just staring at a bag of hot air that agrees with everything his strategist tells him.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
How are you supposed to introduce more interaction between the hero and the Stars of Destiny if the hero has no personality, and has to follow a pre-scripted set of responses?

I'm not saying for Suikoden to be turned into The Sims. Pre-scripted set of responses could give variety as long as they give enough choices. The choices you made would then determine the hero's personality. Just like your example of Ultima 6, the pre-scripted choices (10 starting questions, able to steal a bow, able to sleep with prostitute, able to give money to beggar, etc) will shape your hero. It's just that I expect Suikoden's silent hero would simply have more meaningful choices to choose from though still in form of small dialogue than small actions like in Ultima 6.

Quote:
First of all, did I ever agree with the battle plan? What kind of basis do I have to agree with the battle plan? Does it feel like I'm more immersed in the story; that I'm actually Tir McDohl for agreeing with the battle plan? Can I propose my own battle plan?

1 sentence: It is a linear game. Suikoden isn't meant to be "Choose your own adventure" kind of game. Suikoden is a linear game. Hence, the gameplay has to follow the plot in order to move on with the story. So obviously you cannot propose your own battle plan. If it's not programmed in the game, then you cannot do it, as simple as that.

Quote:
You can't even choose what your hero looks like in the Suikoden games.

Why is that even a problem? The hero in Suikoden games need to have the default look because the hero matters to other characters, unlike in games like Ultima 6 where anyone can be the hero. Tir needed to use the bo/staff because Kai was his teacher/master and he used bo/staff as well. It wouldn't make sense for Tir to use swords if Kai used staff, would it? Riou needed to wear the circlet because it was the gift that he bought when he went to a carnival with Genkaku and Nanami. His looks would also then be imitated by Hoi and Ko. It wouldn't make sense for Riou to wear something blue if Hoi and Ko wear red, would it? And so on. Suikoden heroes matter to other characters, unlike Ultima 6's hero.

Quote:
it ends up being that the hero seems like a witless, dull, empty character that, some how, through his good looks and random coincidence, has managed to rise to the position of a great army leader.

I definitely look at it from a different point of view. I actually connected the events that happened throughout the game rather than jumping to conclusion based on what it seems on paper. Tir and Riou went through quite a lot of things before they became a great army leader (though they basically became the army leader because they were the "chosen one", but then again, Suikoden's theme is "fate"). Suikoden is quite a deep game that needs the player to actually think of what's not explicitly written in the game.

Quote:
But in Suikoden, the choices always lead you down one path, and people always respond in the same way.

Like I said before, Suikoden is a linear game, it's not a non-linear game. So it doesn't really make sense for you to expect it to have the same freedom as non-linear games. You're comparing apples and oranges.

Suikoden being a linear game is also important because of its depth in history. There would be zero point to make Suikoden full of freedom when you ended up playing the game that has nothing to do with the "proper" history of Suikoden world.

Quote:
Because of this, I feel that you're not "being" in the shoes of the hero any more than you would be if you were to give him a personality and watch him do things.

Well in Suikoden I, you do get choices whether you wanted to kill Milich, Kwanda, and Kraze or not. In Suikoden II, you got the bad ending choice, leading the nation ending choice, and throughout the game, some dialogue choices. They weren't that much, but they were alright IMO for a linear game like Suikoden. They provided decent alternatives for the players.

Quote:
You might not agree with him and his motivations, but at least you get the picture in his head; you're not just staring at a bag of hot air that agrees with everything his strategist tells him.

That's why they put the bad ending in Suikoden II. You can run away if you want to.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay, so you've established. Suikoden is linear.

If Suikoden is linear, and basically moulds the hero into a statue that the character designers already had in mind, then why bother with the silent hero? The game's linear. We know the hero isn't us. Is it really just because you don't want to have any moral or ethnical reasons to understand the hero's personal perspective? The heroes all have histories. It's not my history - it's his. Then why bother not giving him a name, not giving him a personality, not giving him personal thoughts, feelings, and emotions? You can't relate to an empty bag - you can watch it, but you don't get emotionally involved in it.

You can tell so much more of a story from the point of view of a good, string character who has motivations and opinions. Suikoden III - more characterization than the other games combined. Geddoe's quiet, but he has a history and a past. You might relate to him, you might not. But at least you can understand his motivations and his opinons.

Imagine if you watched a movie (since movies are linear like Suikoden) that featured a silent hero. The screenwriters gave him a face, a past, and skills. How good do you think this movie could be? How much could it improve if you make the hero talk?

This is why I think a character with personality - especially something like Trinity Sight - is superior for any game that's linear.
Neclord

The Spectral Nightmares

163602 Potch
2 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Arcana wrote:
Okay, so you've established. Suikoden is linear.

If Suikoden is linear, and basically moulds the hero into a statue that the character designers already had in mind, then why bother with the silent hero? The game's linear. We know the hero isn't us. Is it really just because you don't want to have any moral or ethnical reasons to understand the hero's personal perspective? The heroes all have histories. It's not my history - it's his. Then why bother not giving him a name, not giving him a personality, not giving him personal thoughts, feelings, and emotions?

of course it's not your history, it is the character that you are playing the role of's history. Why would you want to play a game where the character has your history?

Like I stated above, it is playing a role. the idea is to pretend it is you. Not that the character is Johnny average from Bowsman, Montana but that you are that character, you are the leader of the liberation army, your father is Teo, you have this history, you wear these clothes et cetera.

and come on, I know it's a rpg and technically by that term you should be able to choose everything all the way down to the hero's underwear, but it is a video game, with a story prebuilt, its not an adventure generator. You have to use your imagination and insert yourself in the role. Imagine what you would say in response, etc

Video game Role Playing is still primitive and has flaws, you cannot completly make every decision because, well you just can't, as far as I know it's not even possible to make a game that way. You have to use your imagination to make the character you and not be critical of its limits and flaws.

You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks.
~ Napoleon Bonaparte
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: