Suikoden United and Inspirational Keystone Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

I Got Carded Buying Games Today...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thor McOdin

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

1757439 Potch
4444 Soldiers
4225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: I Got Carded Buying Games Today... Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

After watching Silent Hill, I had the strangest desire to play the games. Sure, it's a Resident Evil clone...but who cares! I planned on picking up 2 and 3, but was only able to pick up 2 (and Shining Force EXA). So, there I was in EB, waiting in line, when lo and behold, the cashier turned down a kid who was trying to buy GTA III. I thought that was admirable since children probably shouldn't be exposed to those kinds of games. After some pointless small talk with the cashier, he pulled a fast one on me. Despite the fact that I am going on 22, am 6' 1", and wield a full beard, the dude carded me! Honestly, I began to think that buying booze was easier than this. Nevertheless, I showed my driver's license and went with it.

It wasn't until I got home until it sank in; I was carded for buying video games.

Do any of you have a story that you would like to share?

Not all ninja codes are brewed equally. Here at Shinobi, we use the choicest Bavarian hops that are ripened to perfection. One sip and we will have you saying...nothing.
SolemnSound

Solemn Sound

330634 Potch
100 Soldiers
48 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A couple of years ago when Warhammer 40k Dawn of War came out for the pc I was carded. It was a mature game 17+ and I was just a little over 17 at the time.

This was the first time I had ever gotten carded for buying a video game but I showed the cashier my drivers license and went ahead and bought it.

However, Not video game related I was carded at a movie thetre and this really gets me mad.

The first time I went to see 300 with my girlfriend I got carded. I had to put my wallet under the glass so the cashier could look at my drivers license and she looked at it really carefully I didnt like it at all. Also, I was only allowed to buy one ticket and could not buy a ticket for my girlfriend. Apparently in my state you have to be 21 to buy 2 tickets to see the movie 300 which is lame. So my girlfriend had to pay for herself and she was carded as well. We were both quite annoyed.

Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2327939 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't tend to buy M rated games but every once and a while they ask to see my license when I use my credit card (I take it that's normal...?)

Although one time at the bookstore my mom was telling the cashier lady to sign me up for some reward program (I didn't know what it was at the time but a "reward program" and my mom thought it was worth signing up for? ok whatever sure fine)
And the cashier looked at me like " :| So how old are you? 12?"

Ok so I understand I'm short and all (4' 11'') and so could easily be mistaken as a middle schooler but JEEZ....did they REALLY have to go and give me that look?
Sort of pissed me off the rest of the day.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Yohn

Confused Chaquita Banana Minions

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was never carded for video games until after I turned 18. I got carded a few months ago and it really, really took me for a loop. O__o

We never, ever card where I work for games. >_>

"And as the lion slaughters man, I am the wolf and you're the lamb." ~Blind Guardian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dew Dust

2127634 Potch
200 Soldiers
104 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really admire how some video game stores look out for the very young audience with them purchasing Mature rated games, but the idea of carding people over video games must be the latest thing or specific to some areas because when I worked in the Electronics department at Walmart which was seven years ago, we never carded anyone. I also afterwards worked at a video game store, Microplay, five years ago and still we never carded anyone. As for myself, I personally was never carded for video games. Very interesting to read this though.

Liberatori di Inferno

26524 Potch
63 Soldiers
123938 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Dude Thor that sucks that they carded you for just a damn video game and from your description you should be 18+....but some CSR's are nervous about there job so they're very by the book company wise.

Well this happened way back in 2000ish.....I was maybe 15...but when I was trading old games for store credit, those people actually carded me since at Game Quest there policy is you must be 18+ to trade games for store credit. I was there with just friends, no one was an adult at that time all high school students....so likewise I was super pissed and didn't hold back giving attitude to the clerk. I was thinking there MY games that I actually paid for...UGH!

But now at some point I understand since kids would go behind parents back to trade games when the parents get mad and say that they didn't agree with that. Of course those type of parents are a little TOO into their child's lives, but I suppose they exist and its a problem for that company. Ah whatever, can't always censor your kids from reality in my opinion.

"Devoted Protector of Lord Logg and Lady Valeria"
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have never been carded. Even when buying "M" rated games-- and I'm under 17. Which is pretty bad, really, especially because I hardly look over 17. I didn't know that ESRB ratings were enforceable by the law, even. I thought they were just guidelines that were there for the parents to know what their kid is buying. Perhaps it's different for each state-- but I don't think it's technically against the law for a minor to purchase an ?M rated game without identification. Or maybe the laws have recently been changed?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I live in a small enough town, that I'm well enough known in my local game store that it's not a problem. But talking with friends that work at the store, It's store policy to card people now a days. It's so that the store won't be liable for selling M games to underage kids. Though why you were carded Thor, is beyond me. I suppose some chains or certain stores card EVERYBODY. I know some bars do that now a days. My dad who's 50 gets carded at certain bars around here.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Celes Tilly

Buttery Lungs

290293 Potch
666 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Malvagio wrote:
Dude Thor that sucks that they carded you for just a damn video game and from your description you should be 18+....but some CSR's are nervous about there job so they're very by the book company wise.

This is actually a good thing. More companies need to do this so parents will stop bitching about "video games turned my kid into Satan!" and start taking responsibility.

I got carded when I bought a Metal Gear Solid game, but... uh, is it really a big deal? All they do is quickly look at your card...

Thread moved to community forum.
Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah I think alot of games places should do that but if you have a full beard then hes being abit of a zealot but its still noble of him none the less.

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I haven't yet. Silent Hill is an M rated game huh? I thought they only carded AO games.
as for me, I think the SMT games were M rated right? I dind't get carded when I got all three for the PS2, and I don't dress up or wear makeup when I go shopping, allegedly making me look younger. So I don't get carded when buying a M rated game, but I got handed a Child's menue at Ruby Tuesday on my 25th birthday?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Doesn't it just mean that you look a bit young for your age? Or that perhaps the ages are hard to tell apart in most cases?
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have not been carded for a game before, but once when I bought a game (Shadow Hearts) in the company of my parents, the register beeped a lot. The cashier got all confused for a second and then realized it was because the M rating. All he did was say something to the effect of he had to inform us that the game had "mature" content. My parents didn't especially care considering I was near 18 at the time (it was on the last family vacation they were going to drag me on).

I was carded for Constantine at the movie theater (when I was 20 or 21 >_>) but other than that, I've actually never been carded for anything.

Prince Geass Falenas

2327939 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hayashi Ujitsuna wrote:
Doesn't it just mean that you look a bit young for your age? Or that perhaps the ages are hard to tell apart in most cases?
seriously...there's gotta be a limit to how young one looks :?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nadistu wrote:
Hayashi Ujitsuna wrote:
seriously...there's gotta be a limit to how young one looks :?

Lets ask God or Mother Nature to do that for us then. :P
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: