Suikoden Uncanny and Informational Keystone Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Gundam
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kohaku

Red Veil

309182 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Gundam Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay people, as the subjest said, this is a thread for everything about Gundam (I'm a die-hard Gundam fans, as to let you know). Post your favorite Gundam, a question about Gundam, a discussion of some series, the gundam kit modelling, everthing.

Hmmm, I first watched Gundam 0083 at 1993 if I remember it well, and fell in love instantly with the series. What I love about Gundam is that most of the series didn't only think about action as the main aspect, but also a good, unpredicted storyline (Victory and Zeta) and also a good drama (Gundam 0080), not to mention that the romence in the series are pretty good, well, at least not as corny as some overrated anime.

Gundam is first made by the directo Yoshiyuki Tomino at 1979 (Gundam 0079) but it reached it success at 1981, where Zeta Gundam first aired.
I'll continue the history later when I had the time.

My personal favorite is Zeta and Victory (1991?), for the rough storyline, and very good character development. Also, they got some of the most creative fighting scene in any action anime.

Well, I'll have to log out now because I had to do a presentation at the campus now , sigh, I'll continue with everything at monday.

Okay people, are you a Gundam fans?

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Eh, I enjoy some Gundam every now and then, but I'm not a huge fan. Gundam's good and epic, but it has a certain blend of "corniness" that annoys me. Of course, there's a lot of anime that's really corny and is filled with sentimental drivel and longwinded speeches. But Gundam has its own particular brand, granted I find it less annoying than something like GetBackers, that still irks me a little. Gundam characters often seem very "extreme" to me, and possessed by some singular goal, like they're stuck in a soap opera. This is especially true of Gundam Wing.

Of course, I've only seen a small number of the great multitude of Gundam shows. I was in love with Gundam Wing at first, but after experiencing a lot more things started to grow sick of it and its insanity. I wouldn't consider it a bad show, but definitely among my favorites now.

I've seen about half of the original series, as well as all 3 movies, and it's more to my liking. The characters are more complex, and not nearly as corny, though it has its moments. I've only seen the first episode of Gundam Zeta and don't remember much. I couldn't stand what little I saw of G Gundam. I have Char's Counterattack, and I like it, though it definitely has some annoying parts. Like Quon, or whatever the damn teen girl's name is; I hate her so much. Bleh...

I like SEED a lot though. It's very similar to the original series, but instead of the Newtype theme, I find the coordinator/genetic manipulation theme much more appealing. That, and it's not as corny as the other new Gundams, by far. The only characters that really annoy me are Fllay and Kreuze. Kreuze is cool until the last 5 eps or so, where he's just insane. But not in a good way.

SEED Destiny has been alright so far, but I don't like it as much. There are some interesting parallels to the current world, but I don't like the whole "evil people manipulating everything" stuff. That and it's too much like a harem anime at times.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If i'm right, Gundam was the origin for the general public associating Japanese animation with giant robots. Correct me if i'm wrong in paraphrasing that the Gundam series was the first anime about giant robots.

I have a very good friend who's a Gundam nut. Like Sheherazade, he's living in Jakarta. Say, Shehrazade, you wouldn't happend to know a certain Henry, would you? Anyways, he's a big anime nut, but loves Gundam most of all. He showed me Gundam X. I liked it. It had a girl named Tifa, which is always good :wink:. The characters were pretty good, and the action was pretty swell. I tried to view Gundam Wing, but the VCD was screwed up, so i end up wanting to see it.

Ok, my knowledge on Gundam is very limited.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shrew

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nah, there were Giant Robot shows before Gundam, but Gundam redefined the genre. It was the first to take it really seriously. The previous stuff was all "monster of the week" type stuff and used cliche plots, even for back then. Then Gundam put Giant Robots into a serious situation, war, and surrounded them with interesting characters and plots.

But it's really the setting point for most Giant Robot anime, yeah.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Barbarossa Rugner

The Golden Mercenaries

5685455 Potch
15000 Soldiers
650 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am a pretty big fan of Gundam Wing. It is really the only one of the Gundam series that i have gotten into. I first saw it when it started coming on cartoon network some years ago and as of recently i finished collecting the episodes on DVD. I am not saying it is the best of the series, but simply just my favorite. I have seen a couple of the other gundam episodes and they were all decent to my knowledge.

The Rune on my Sword, the Dragon King Sword, is protected against any form of magic, Even the rune of the Gate - Barbarossa Rugner
Masaya

Flying Fusillades

222963 Potch
75 Soldiers
3635 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gundam 0083 Stardust Memories. By far is my favorite Gundam Series. I guess I just liked the Drama of it. And it has Zephy gundam, which totally adore >_>. Oh and the last episode they have one of the coolest images, which I havn't been able to find but I wish I could. It's of a Zaku II giving the peace sign after the war had ended. I just love beautiful Irony such as that.

Acutally however Gundam wing was the 2nd Anime I had ever seen way back in the late 90's when they used to show it on Cartoon Network. I was like in 6th grade, and could hardly follow the plot-line. Mostly because I jumped into it too fast. Gundam wing has some cool battle sceens, however the main character is too suicidal and anti social, and what really bothers me is alot of their fight sceans are a bit unrealistic even for gundam. For example if you cut of the head of a gunda, the entire body does NOT blow up.

CLIMAX JUMP!

758170 Potch
2000 Soldiers
2225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Starslasher wrote:

I have a very good friend who's a Gundam nut. Like Sheherazade, he's living in Jakarta.

There are pretty much gundam nuts everywhere, actually.Including me, if you have noticed my name.Heck, everyday in school i draw it.There's nothing more that i can draw rather than it.It has really gotten into my brain.For the manga, i think Tokita Kouichi is the perfect person to draw gundam.I really enjoyed his works.I got really dissapointed by Seed Manga.Hell, it looked like a bishoujo manga!!!enough manga,here's the anime!

Best:

Mecha design:First Gundam.Original!!!!
Story:Gundam Zeta
Character Dev.:Seed,Cagalli.
Best Music:First Gundam
Best Gundam:First Gundam!But who knows?Maybe Seed Destiny has some suprises.

Honorable Mentions:

Mecha design:0083,Gundam Seed and Seed Destiny,CCA
Story:Gundam Seed Destiny,Wing,08th MS Team,G-Gundam.
Character Dev.:First Gundam,Amuro.Kamiyu,Z gundam.Judau,ZZ Gundam
Best Music:Seed and Seed Destiny.
Best Gundam:Z Gundam.

Worst x_x

Mecha design:Victory,G-Gundam.Oh, come on!A gundam in a fish suit?!!?
Story:Gundam Seed
Music:?
Worst Gundam:CCA!Why did they make Amuro and Char's final battle in just a movie?For 2 legendary characters's final battle, isn't one movies just too short???
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gundam was the first anime I ever watched and it was insanity put to animation. I loved it. Gundam Wing was soap opera-ish and theres the part in the middle of the series thats all about flashback(thats not a spoiler is it?). That flashingback part got real annoying but the series itself was masterful. G-gundam was ok despite its ridiculousness. It was so completely farfetched from reality that it was entertaining and it made you think about countries and their symbolism so it was slightly educational between the battles. And you could expect a gundam battle almost every episode.
The origianl Gundam was so good but I couldn't get past the animation. Call me shallow but it looked so old. Yes it was old so was thundercats and I still loved thundercats. I think if they redid the animation on the original Gundam series it would be incredibly awesome. Currently watching Gundam Seed on Adult Swim but I miss it on occasion so can't say too much about it. I will say this though, the story is good and the characters are original and well developed(Flays personality is so real its kinda scary). O well. Just Thoughts
Providence Luc

The Millenium Swords

109035 Potch
275 Soldiers
71 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The only Gundam series I was able to watch due to re-airing was the original Gundam series. Though I was first able to grasp part of the story because I played Mobile Suit Gundam: Encounters In Space. True, many series have that similar 'soap opera' feel to them. Mostly because these things are what strike to human emotions the most. Of course, when something is repeated in excess, it becomes tiresome to watch.

Other than the original Gundam series, I was also able to watch a bit of Gundam SEED. Not enough to give me a real good view of the series itself. I agree with Shrew about Rau Le Creuset. He was pretty cool... then he just went plain bonkers. But amongst all of the masked guys in the Gundam series I still hail Char Aznable as the best of them all. IMO.

In terms of actual mecha designs, I really like the design of the Aile Strike Gundam (GAT-X105) . I immediately hailed it upon first seeing it's model through Encounters in Space. But the design of the original gundam (RX-78-2) is simple but very appealing. The same goes for the Zaku II (forgot the model number... XD).
Tendou Souji

CLIMAX JUMP!

758170 Potch
2000 Soldiers
2225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Zaku II is Ms 06, than that should make Zaku I Ms 05 i think.Oh yes, and if you want any spoilers for Seed and/or Seed Destiny,just PM me, ok?And please,one at a time.(I mean only ask for 1 spoiler at a time)I'll reply when i can.
Kohaku

Red Veil

309182 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ok, I'm back so I'll continue with everything.

And I know someone named Henry who's a Gundam nut but I'm not sure if he's the Henry you mentioned Starslasher, there's a lot of Henry in Jakarta.

For the series of Gundam, there's some that really took a place in the west and they're the infamous Gundam Wing and Gundam Seed. Sorry, but I'm against those who like them. The only things I like about them is the Character and Mecha design (well, destiny isn't very original BTW). I know Gundam Wing is enchanting but if you tried to watch the older one, like V, despite of the old graphic, you'll think that in term of storyline and character development, they really beat Wing. The story is rough, really rough (example like the Guillotine scene). And the Wing fandom really didn't help (well, in a lot of Gundam sites i've lurked, so far most of the wing fans, are.. what do you call it? very annoying) so some serious fan getting their hands off from Wing. Fos Seed, the char development is good, but it's like a copy from the original gundam.

Now, let's go to history : These are all the Gundam series if I'm not forgetting something
1. Gundam 0079 (1979)
2. Zeta Gundam (1981)
3. Double Zeta (ZZ)
4. Gundam 0080 : War in the pocket
5. Char's Counterattack
6. V-Gundam (Victory Gundam)
7. Gundam F-91
8. Gundam X
9. Gundam 0083 : Stardust memory
10.G-Gundam
11.Gundam Wing
12.Gundam the 8th MS team
13.Turn A Gundam
14.Gundam G-Saviour
15. Gundam Seed
16. Gundam Seed Destiny
Tell me if I forget something, okay? I have watched all of them except the earlier episode of ZZ and the later episode of G.

For a favorite character, I really like Katejina Loos from V and Sarah Zabiarov form Zeta. Their character development is very good, the better on the series, if not the best (especially Katejina, the development is really....creepy). For male character, I like Shiro of 8th MS team.

BTW, is there none of you that like Gundam Kit modelling :mrgreen: ?

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My brother did for a while but then he just stopped. I never got into it. Looks like a lot of time and effort.

Wow I never knew there were so many Gundam shows! The only ones I've ever watched was Gundam Wing and Gundam Seed (the one's you mentioned). I used to LOVE Gundam Wing even though I had no idea what was going on. All I knew was that I really wanted Relena and Heero to get together but if I remember correctly, they never did. That's a shame. Oh well, Heero was always the loner type anyway. :roll: In a way that show also annoyed me...but meh it's in the past.

As for Gundam Seed, I'm watching it right now. I missed a bunch of episodes but I still like it. I think I like Cagalli the best so far because she makes Flay jealous effortlessly and I don't really like Flay. She's so psychotically in hate against coordinators...and she's so mean!!!!! Poor Sai...or whatever his name is... I really wanna see Gundam Seed Destiny! Hopefully I'll get to one day.

I can't really compare against the other ones so I'll just take your word that these ones suck against them.
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My brother was a gundam fanatic. He bought several video games and model kits. I think all the paint fumes gave him brain damage. I, on the other hand, have only watched a few series and I never got hooked on them. I have watched all of Gundam Wing (the first I watched), G Gundam, and 08th MS Team. I watched the original one on cartoon network for a while, but something took me away from it (not sure what, probably school) and I never got back to it. I haven't watched any of them since high school (2+ years ago) though.

CLIMAX JUMP!

758170 Potch
2000 Soldiers
2225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Scheherazade wrote:

Now, let's go to history : These are all the Gundam series if I'm not forgetting something
1. Gundam 0079 (1979)
2. Zeta Gundam (1981)
3. Double Zeta (ZZ)
4. Gundam 0080 : War in the pocket
5. Char's Counterattack
6. V-Gundam (Victory Gundam)
7. Gundam F-91
8. Gundam X
9. Gundam 0083 : Stardust memory
10.G-Gundam
11.Gundam Wing
12.Gundam the 8th MS team
13.Turn A Gundam
14.Gundam G-Saviour
15. Gundam Seed
16. Gundam Seed Destiny
Tell me if I forget something, okay? I have watched all of them except the earlier episode of ZZ and the later episode of G.

BTW, is there none of you that like Gundam Kit modelling :mrgreen: ?

You're not forgetting SOMETHING, you're forgetting a lot of things.There's....... F91, and then SD Gundam Force (It is still gundam isn't it?And somehow , i just like it,Except for Shute's bizzare hairstyle)
And don't forget, manga counts (which further expands the list)

Seed Astray,Seed Astray Blue,Seed Astray X,Seed Astray R,Gundam Wing Dual Story Last Outpost(Or G-Unit),Some other gundam comics, Gundam Wing Battlefield Of Pacifist,G-Wing Endless Waltz, and many more, i don't know.

Gundam kit modelling? I've done that since i was little,but i haven't really mastered it.Now i've gotten better and on my next birthday, my dad's going to buy me the equipment for painting it.Pretty expensive though.Got many, but most of them are failures.And it really did empty my pocket too... for all you people who want to try gundam kit modelling, try with the SD ones (the "chibi" ones) first,it's easier to make, and obviously cheaper.So it won't be that much of a loss if you've made a failure.
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh yeah. I forgot about F91. I do think, Axis, that it's part of the Gundam series.

But out of the two that i did see, Gundam X and Gundam F91, i liked the former. The "moon-powered" laser beams are cool ^_^.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: