Suikoden Unique and Irenic Keystone Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Street Fighter Is the Best Movie Ever

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thor McOdin

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

1757439 Potch
4444 Soldiers
4225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: Street Fighter Is the Best Movie Ever Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

On Christmas Eve in 1994, I was granted entry into Street Fighter. However, as a lowly fourth grader, I wasn't able to comprehend the fact that a video game such as Street Fighter was made into a movie. Hell, how was I supposed to know that Ryu and Ken were secretly conmen despite the fact that one was an honorable fighter and the other was a billionaire heir in the video game? You know what? I don't even care that Shadaloo wasn't even the name of a city, but rather a crime syndicate. Nevertheless, I didn't pay much attention to the movie when it first came out.

Now, I could be snarky and say that the animated version is better in every aspect, but I would be lying to myself. I saw the movie again on Encore years later and loved every minute of it. In fact, I loved it so much that I managed to watch it twice in one sitting!

Shoot forward to 2007, and I am now a 22-year-old (who has had a bit to drink) who pretty much doesn't give a shit about the current state of movies. Honestly, who can master the epic dialogue seen in Street Fighter?

Hondo: I'm sumo, bro. My body can be in one place and my mind another.

Guile: Luckily, Bison has driven me crazy.

Guile: No. You've lost your balls.

Bison: This time, Colonel, you die for real!

T.Hawk: It's Cherokee. I wear it for good luck in battle.

Guile: Find Ken and Ryu...and get the hostages OWT (it's Van Damme...lol)!

Ken: I don't understand!
Ryu: I know you don't.

Sure, one could say that Chun Li was a detective and not a journalist. If you're a dick, you could say that Balrog is the bad guy and Dee Jay is good. Fine, go ahead and say that Cammy was an assassin and not Guile's second-in-command. True, Dhalsim didn't have a PhD in molecular biology. Okay, Charlie wasn't actually Blanka as they were two different people. So what if T.Hawk wasn't even Native American? Okay, so Vega wasn't associated with Sagat as stated in the movie. Truth be told, I don't even care that the subplot of Interpol was ignored throughout the entire film.

However, we aren't looking at the big picture here. Sure, we can point out the flaws of Street Fighter (the first game movie) as sub-par. But this is where the movie tricks us. We were led to believe that this was going to be an accurate portrayal of a video game sent to the silver screen. Instead, we are left with the single greatest unintentional comedy in the history of mankind. That, my friends, is why Street Fighter is the greatest movie ever made.

Not all ninja codes are brewed equally. Here at Shinobi, we use the choicest Bavarian hops that are ripened to perfection. One sip and we will have you saying...nothing.
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the greatest moment in that movie involved Zangief. To my recollection, it went like this:

* Bison's group witnesses a runaway truck heading their way. Zangief is part of them *

* Zangief turns his head and looks at surveillance equipment. On a monitor, he sees the truck on screen. *

* Zangief quickly looks back at the real truck. *

* Zangief looks back at the surveillance monitor *

* He looks back at the truck and utters the infamous line*

Quick, change the channel! (This is where I died obviously)

Yes the movie is a travesty when you remember that this is supposed to be a Street Fighter movie. But it has become the William Hung of video game movies. The cult following of the movie is surprisingly numerous despite the level of sucktitude this movie reaches. Then again most of them end up like this, right? At the very least, as you said Thor, some individuals actually enjoy the hideousness of it. And I have to say that it has its moments; not because it's any good, but because it's humorously awful.

Of course, it could be worse . . .

Apologies in advance because that's a few minutes of your life I can never give back to you.

Prince Geass Falenas

2327939 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What Street Fighter movie are you talking about Thor?

I vaguely remember seeing a 'Street Fighter' ish movie once in Taiwan and I believe it was a movie made in Hong Kong (For I only vaguely remember seeing a famous Hong Kong actor act in it)

I'm not sure if the title was "Street Fighter" but I do remember it having someone(actually there were two of em o_O ) acting like Chun Li in it and someone acting like Blanka (They made Blanka do the whole roll attack and his signature 'Electric' move too :*laugh*: it was pretty good acting if I do say so myself )

However the movie I saw was meant to be on the comedy side, as are alot of the other action movies from Hong Kong I saw at that time.
It was rather an amusing movie though. I wish they would air it again.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's a movie released in the US and other places more than ten years ago. It incuded Jean-Claude Van Damme ad Guile in the lead role and Raul Julia as M. Bison.

I actually remember the movie as well, even if I haven't seen it in so long. Wasn't the movie left open for a sequel? Too bad Mr. Julia died all those years ago, we could've seen a sequel. Then again, Street Fighter was probabl the crappiest movie he did :P.
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2327939 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kikito wrote:
It's a movie released in the US and other places more than ten years ago. It incuded Jean-Claude Van Damme ad Guile in the lead role and Raul Julia as M. Bison.
Hmm....then it's most likely not the one I saw...
I was just now trying to look up scenes and things for the one you mentioned and I don't recognize them :?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I watched this movie twice lastnight. Once when it was on the action channel, and a second time three hours later, on action west! (shows how much was actually on to watch)

Now me knowing nothing about Street Fighter, other than Dr. Light obviously having the same master Ryu and Ken. I'll continue to think Blanka and Charlie are the same person, Cammy is a cute military officer, and Honda is a Hawaiian Sumo Camera Man!

It's not Mortal Kombat: The Movie, but it still has it's greatness!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
SolemnSound

Solemn Sound

330634 Potch
100 Soldiers
48 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

yeah but if remember correctly(since it has been a long time since I have seen this movie) the Street Fighter movie does not incorporate music from the series very much. In the Mortal Kombat movies the Director incorporated many of the charachters themes which made the movie quite bad ass because the themes of some charachters are really awesome

*listens to Scorpions Soundtrack*

Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My favorite line from the film is when Guile is giving his big speech and he "Now, who wants to go home and who wants to go WITH ME!" I parody that line at least once a week.

Last edited by Timbo on Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Thor McOdin

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

1757439 Potch
4444 Soldiers
4225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Besides virtually every scene's ability to stand the test of time in Street Fighter, one always tops the rest.

Throughout the entire movie, Dhalsim is dressed as a doctor. However, at the very end (when Guile was going to save him), his hair is gone and he is dressed up as a shaman. What the hell? What could make the scene even better? Why, Dhalsim and Blanka cuddling, of course! I know the survivors were bummed after their friends died. Why else would they have made jokes about going out to dinner and giggling profusely?

Not all ninja codes are brewed equally. Here at Shinobi, we use the choicest Bavarian hops that are ripened to perfection. One sip and we will have you saying...nothing.
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This whole topic made me laugh so hard, I wish someone could get me the movie. I'm dying for some great humor, and this sounds like pure platinum.
Really, I didn't think anything could be so bad but I was mistaken.

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh yeah, the movie where Guile (The American) is played by Van Damme (A French Guy) This movie was horrible.....but as a kid I liked it. Hell, I even liked the Mortal Kombat movie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: