Suikoden Uncanny and Irrational Kibbutz Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Rareware Games
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CAPTAIN PLANET

Headstrong

317417 Potch
2460 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Rareware Games Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Rareware is a developing company that used to be a Nintendo-only company, making games such as the Donkey Kong Country series(Super Nintendo and Game Boy Advance), Banjo-Kazooie (N64), Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64), Star Fox Adventures (Gamecube), and many other titles. In the past few years, they switched from Nintendo to Microsoft, and some of their trademark characters are going to be on the Xbox 360.

What do you think of Rareware's games? Any you liked? Any you didn't like? What do you think about their switch from Nintendo to Microsoft? Talk about those games here!

Info about Rare and a list of their games made can be seen here.
ard, save the dirty talk for when we meet!
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I used to play the Donkey Kong Country games for SNES all the time. Those were some good old timed platformers. I have never really been able to play 3D platform games with the same love that I gave to their 2D side-scrolling counter parts. Either way, I need to break out those oldies. Fun stuff. ^^

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2327939 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've only played one of their Banjo-Kazooie games, Donkey Kong Country games, and that GoldenEye game really...The Donkey Kong games of course were great! Though it felt it got a little repetitive in style after awhile...

I wish I picked up the other Banjo-Kazooie games to try. I really enjoyed playing the first one...but I guess I lived under a box or something when the sequels came out cuz I missed their release and well...don't really see it in stores anymore >.<

They probably can't bring Donkey Kong over to Microsoft but It's a bit hard for me to imagine something like Banjo-Kazooie being brought over to the 360 personally speaking of course...of course they were able to do it with Conker

well dunno...leaves me an odd feeling in my gut anyhow xp

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I own Viva Pinata, its a very fun game by RARE nad even the TV series is pretty good. My girlfreind plays it more than me but its still good.

Goldeneye for the 64 is good game I cant remember of it was developed by RARE though but if it was my hats off to them.

Headstrong

317417 Potch
2460 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've played most of the Rare games, and I have to say, Conker's Bad Fur Day is the best one, in my opinion. It has much adult humor, and it has many parodies of movies and other things. The Xbox version (Called Conker Live and Reloaded) is basically an extended version of the N64 version. They are both funny, fun games, I think. Though, I love all the DKC games, and DK64 as well. Jet Force Gemini is another cute game. Rareware is known for its graphics, so of course all the graphics of all the games are amazing.
The Chizen Star

5907 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I used to love Banjo-Kazooie...Never managed to finish it, though. I missed out on the sequel(s); I must have been living under a box, too. :D

If I ever get a 360, I might give the new game a try.

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I've only played a handful of Rare games, but they were good fun. According to the list, I guess the first one would be Narc for the NES, which was a fun, if not much easier port from the arcade version since once you reached the bridge you could just use the car to run people over and get a full complement of rockets and bullets, plus more lives than you'd ever need since in this version the car couldn't be damaged by anything other than landmines or ramming dumpsters. In the arcade version the enemies would damage the car by shooting it, or in the case of the PCP addicts, smashing it. Plus you could just crouch while you were walking and all the enemies would just shoot over your head. In the arcade, some would drop to the ground to shoot, so that didn't work there.

After that I played a little bit of Donkey Kong Country, but since I didn't own an SNES, I never got to play it very much and so I didn't really get all that far. I played it a bit more in college my first year because a friend of mine had one and a copy of the game, but I still didn't play it too much.

Then the next I would have played was Goldeneye. I'm not sure if there's anyone out there who owned a N64 or knew someone who owned one that didn't play this game. For the most part in college the big choice of the night was whether to play Goldeneye or do my homework. There's a very good reason why it took me 7 years to finish.

Probably their best title, or at least the one I thought was the most amusing was Conker's Bad Fur Day. You can't tell me that jokes about mountains of poo aren't funny. That kind of stuff never gets old. This was a game that was so totally out of place for Nintendo, but I sure wish they'd have more games like that. Just crude humor, perfect for someone with a juvenile sense of humor.

So, I guess while they have some games that I'd say I enjoyed, the same could be said about a lot of different developers. Rare has had their share of hits and misses, and I'm not gonna buy a game just because it was made by them.

~Uguu!~
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I grew up playing the Donkey Kong Country games and the Battle Toad games. Love the Battle Toads. I still haven't beaten them, since they're so freaking hard. Other than that I think I've played one of the Banjo-kazooie games and that's about it. They make a lot of great games that you can just sit down and play for like an hour, and have fun. And that's it.

Last edited by Milan Fiori on Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
CAPTAIN PLANET

Headstrong

317417 Potch
2460 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sailor Sexy wrote:
Probably their best title, or at least the one I thought was the most amusing was Conker's Bad Fur Day. You can't tell me that jokes about mountains of poo aren't funny. That kind of stuff never gets old. This was a game that was so totally out of place for Nintendo, but I sure wish they'd have more games like that. Just crude humor, perfect for someone with a juvenile sense of humor.

Don't forget Gregg the Grim Reaper and the drunk scarecrow. :D
SwissStopwatch

Largest Falco Tribute Band Ever

186774 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I spent a lot of time playing Donkey Kong Country games, especially Donkey Kong Country 2, since I had a pretty bad injury to deal with at the time and the person who caused said injury bought me that game by way of apology. They're definitely fun games, basically just platformers that are nice to pick up and play for a little bit. I don't really play games like that anymore, but that's probably because there aren't a whole lot of that kind of game around anymore. I might try putting that in one of these days.

I played NARC a bit on the NES, but not all that much. I do remember the enemies acting weird with the not ducking and other odd things, I think. Not surprising nowadays that they couldn't fit good AI onto that cartridge. I've seen a few others (like Jet Force Gemini), but pretty much, I've played a couple of their games, liked them OK, but I probably am not going to lose sleep over missing a new release by them.
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I played Donkey Kong Country games, although I only actually own the first one anymore. I played Perfect Dark quite a bit as well, although I was not really any good at it. Killer Instinct was ok, I suppose, but I was not incredibly impressed. Then again, I suck at fighting games.

As a rule, their games are ok by me, but I definitely have to be in the right mood to play them. They aren't ones I can just pick up and play anytime, despite how much I like them.

Seraphim Of Kooluk

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Most of their games are pretty fun,
I always loved Conkers Bad Fur Day and Banjo-Kajooie wasn't a half-bad game either although bring anything new to its genre.
And of course the Donkey Kong games who doesn't love good old Donkey Kong he's a Nintendo icon.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Microsoft must've made the worst decision ever buying Rareware, they take insanely long to make games, don't they? Most of them are really good games, but the wait is so long!

I've played and sometimes play to this day:

Conker's Bad Fur Day
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey King 2: Diddy Kong
Donkey Kong 3
Donkey Kong 64
Banjo Kazooie
Perfect Dark 1
Goldeneye

All of them are great games, Rareware are a special development team, I just wish they wouldn't take so long, Microsoft probably wishes the same.
CAPTAIN PLANET

Headstrong

317417 Potch
2460 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Microsoft bought the rights after Star Fox Adventures for the GameCube. Part of it had to do with the Conker series. The original N64 game featuring Conker was supposed to be called "Conker: Twelve Tails". Rare decided to scrap that and make a more hardcore game, which Nintendo didn't like but sold anyway. I think things spiraled down from there. Pity, I think they would have sold more games on the Wii.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What are they doing now exactly? Haven't heard anything about them for a long time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: