Suikoden Ugly and Inspirational Kriegspiel Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Where are the people who's been paying top dollars for Suikoden games?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who are the people that's been paying high prices for suikoden games?
Me. I had to over pay for most/all of my suikoden games online.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I did pay the online going rate or a high price for some of the games, and am happy to do it.
50%
 50%  [ 10 ]
I didn't have to over pay for any games of the series because I got all mine early, but I would if I had to.
35%
 35%  [ 7 ]
I have my games but I wouldn't have paid any more for them than their retail price.
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Not me. I'm still looking to complete my collection, but I'm never paying the high prices.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I think there are lots of video games fans that don't think too highly of suikoden but just want to own the games.
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Whoever they are, they are not really true fans, they are the problem.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 20

jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:58 am    Post subject: Where are the people who's been paying top dollars for Suiko Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I started following suikoden later than many who got in on it from the very start back in 96/7. Around late 01, I got a vga setup so I can play consol video games in my room without making it obvious, after that I finally got some freedom to do play games while not having to get the approval of my parents; also at that time was when I started to buy games for it's content rather than cost, which lead me to find the suikoden games as I bought the only 2 releases at the time.

After buying the first 2 games I also picked up III on release in fall of 02 and a short time later realized the prices of all of them had gone up dramatically (for those that don't remember III was very short printed at first and was selling for $60-100 online until mid-03). Ever since then, everyone knows that suikoden's been selling for around $30-50 online, while II have been selling for $70-100 for almost 5 years now.

As far as I can tell, there is always a supply on ebay or where ever else to get games of the series at the marked up "market" price, maybe due largely to the fact everyone knows it's worth money so it will be the first thing anyone in need of money is looking to sell. I think it would be a solid estimation that about a dozen to 20 copies of II get sold on ebay alone every week (at any given time, there will be 6-10 live auctions for II lasting for 3-5 days, so I think 12-20 per week is pretty close) for close to 5 years at around $85 each.

I been thinking, lets just say 20 copies of II changes hands every week one way or another in north America alone, that's about 1,000 people a year paying that kind of money to get it. Not to label suikoden fans that's around here or on any other fan sites in a certain way, but it seems very few are willing to pay $80 for the game and not too many did, either by getting it back when it wasn't expensive or some just won't do it. If I had to guess, I'd think only about 25-35% of the people buying the game at it's present price really cares about it, so if the real fans are not a large part of the 1k people each year buying it, who is?

Personally, I won't over pay for any game unless I know I would enjoy it, so I maybe under estimating the number of people that just hears about a game and would pay close to $100 for it, but I still think that number can't be too high. Also if I did pay that kind of money for a game, I'm damn sure playing it and is either trying to find others to talk about it or would be really interested in learning about it; especially with the suikoden series and all it's connections, so I think there'd be more obvious activities of new members joining fan sites like this or more people asking about it... are there? Now I see every auction for V is easily selling at $30+ just for a complete copy and $40+ for a sealed one after only a year's time, while people are paying $25+ for sealed copies of IV, I keep asking myself: are there lots of suikoden fans that keeps to themselves? Where are these people at?
SolemnSound

Solemn Sound

330634 Potch
100 Soldiers
48 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have been into suikoden ever since the release of the original one. Although , I got to give props to my dad for finding and buying the game introducing me to it. Ever since I have bought every single suikoden game on the day of its release and have enjoyed every single one of them multiple times =)

I always paid retail price, but I woud gladly pay an overpriced amount via the internet to get my hands on a copy if I didnt have one. Although, some of the prices for these games are getting insane.

A couple of months ago I saw a copy of Suikoden II go for $366 US dollars on Ebay. I kind of wish I would have bought multiple copies of Suikoden II so I could make some massive profit on ebay.

jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

A couple of months ago I saw a copy of Suikoden II go for $366 US dollars on Ebay.

that's kind of what I'm saying, I never heard anyone coming on here or anywhere else going: I just spent a load of money for a sealed copy of suikoden or II... (lets hope that guy got a sealed copy cause otherwise he/she really got ripped off)

Not that I'm say it's so badass or cool that person had that much money to spend, but I guess it shows some degree of love for the game to pay so much for it that you'd have to respect. There are at least a handful of people like that paying $250 or so for sealed copies of suikoden II every month, but what kind of people's doing that? where is that person at? they don't seem to be among us...
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was first introduced to the series with the first game, but i rented it i didn't own it. A couple of years later i bumped into Suikoden two and bought it for £22, since then i have bought the other games on release.

Now as for my copy of Suikoden 1... I bought it on Ebay for about £80, i always wanted it and the game still works, i work hard for my money so i didn't mind spending it on something that i really enjoy.

Are the internet prices getting stupid? Well not really if people are still able and willing to pay them then it is all good.
Eden

Private Godwin Army

560494 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The most I paid for a Suikoden game on the internet was 50 Euro... That isn't really much, but when I keep in mind how old the game is I bought... Suikoden I :mrgreen:
Well, I bought Suikoden II for ten Euro at the local shop and it was the first of the series and made me love it. Well, Suikoden III took 50 Euro as well from my wallet and the rest was bought new in a shop for... well, 50 euro as well. Okay, Suikoden V only costs 30 Euro... man, that was so great...

The Fool
ViktorFan

Shalimar

1825501 Potch
200 Soldiers
4195 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't remember the price of Suikoden I, it's too long ago. I paid 50 Euro for Suikoden IV, 25 Euro for Suikoden V but 75 Euro for Suikoden II. I bought it 2005 and it was hard to get. But I wanted to have it so I paid the price. I bought it at amazon.de and there were other sellers who wanted to have 120 or 150 Euro for the game, so I think 75 Euro was okay. And it was worth it.
Eden

Private Godwin Army

560494 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
And it was worth it.

It really was, huh? You can't imagince how glad I am that I got the game for only 10 Euro. I didn't know the series back then and wouldn't have paid much more for a PS1 Game... Now I would pay for the game ten times the prize, but still... :mrgreen:

The Fool
Scott

Demon King's Ambition

41 Potch
1150 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was lucky enough to receive Suikoden 1 as a Gift.

I got Suikoden II like..the very day it was released, but eventually it "disappeared" at my best friend's house, But whatever. He kinda turned into a Douc--Jerk shortly after that, so Yeah. Thanks Mike. :x Anyway, I eventually found a copy at a Local Gamestop for $60, and bought it.

With Suikoden III...well, I had no idea it had been released, and I have yet to buy/Beat it. Instead I just borrow it from Phamex for a few months at a time. I just can't seem to get the motivation up. It sucks extra hard because from what I've seen (Chris 1-3, Hugo 1-2, Geddoe 1) it seems pretty enjoyable.

Suikoden IV + Tactics? Heh...I never did bother with either of these.

Suikoden V I bought on the first day it was available.

But yeah..it always seems like there are lots of copies available on Ebay. Least I ever saw was 3 Auctions I think. But it averages a lot more than that. It does seems pretty terrible that it still retails for such an exorbitant Price on there.

EDIT:
jjrrs wrote:
Quote:

A couple of months ago I saw a copy of Suikoden II go for $366 US dollars on Ebay.

that's kind of what I'm saying, I never heard anyone coming on here or anywhere else going: I just spent a load of money for a sealed copy of suikoden or II... (lets hope that guy got a sealed copy cause otherwise he/she really got ripped off)

Not that I'm say it's so badass or cool that person had that much money to spend, but I guess it shows some degree of love for the game to pay so much for it that you'd have to respect. There are at least a handful of people like that paying $250 or so for sealed copies of suikoden II every month, but what kind of people's doing that? where is that person at? they don't seem to be among us...

If I had the kind of money? I'd do it in a heartbeat.

To relive those Halcyon days of youth
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I remember I actually sold Suikoden II to a friend, and I wanted it back quite badly, and I don't think he wanted to sell it back again, that or I couldn't get ahold of him for a few weeks. I think I sold it to be able to pay for something else - because I was a bit desperate for money at the time. So when I wanted to play it again, I was forced to go to eBay, I'm not sure how much I paid for it, but it was more than for what I sold it for, so I ended up paying quite a lot more for a game I already had.

That was a long time ago, and I don't regret having all the Suikoden installments in my collection at all.
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden I $45
Suikoden II $70
Suikoden III $49
Suikoden IV $49
Suikoden V $49
Suikoden Tactics $49
Suikogaiden Volume 1 and 2 $30

Money well spent! Considering the Euro is stronger than the dollar it worked out even cheaper for me!
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

If I had the kind of money? I'd do it in a heartbeat.

yeah but wouldn't someone be pretty excited to talk about that if they just spend $200-300 on a suikoden game? and for that matter if someone who's been looking for the game for a while finally spend the money to get one at $85 bucks wouldn't that person be pretty happy with it? I know I would.

I guess my point is: there's almost 2k members here, lets say only half of those people are still aware that this forum exists, if I was someone who finally just got a copy of suikoden II after a long time I'd be jumping on here to talk about it, but when was the last time anyone here mentioned that they just spent money and got a copy of the game? I suppose if there was a "sign here if you just got suikoden II" topic that would be more evident, but just the fact that few ever expresses the desire to get the game when I'm sure many here don't still have it makes me think that the people who may really care for the game are not the ones buying them over the past 5 years...
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2327939 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

jjrrs wrote:
I suppose if there was a "sign here if you just got suikoden II" topic that would be more evident, but just the fact that few ever expresses the desire to get the game when I'm sure many here don't still have it makes me think that the people who may really care for the game are not the ones buying them over the past 5 years...
Personally I think people who are willing to buy the game online right now at such a high price are mainly collectors....everyone else who can't afford it can find ways to borrow from a friend...or import the PSP version (or other versions--matter of factly I HAVE seen a PC version of Suiko2 floating around), or just cross their fingers for a future possible version? Who knows what the future may hold...

The less desperate would probably think reading the scripts and FAQS are suffice to understand what happens in it
It's just the price isn't reasonable to most people and the few who want it really badly though can shell out the money---But I don't think it'd be something to be proud of. I mean if I had missed Suiko 2 and ended up buying a real expensive one I'd feel more stupid and embarressed that I had to pay 10x more then people who bought it when it originally came out. Even though it's a great game I'd feel ripped off anyway....

Anyhow....
I bought Suikoden 3 and on immediately when it was released or earlier, especially when pre-order bonuses have been announced for the games. Not even a lack of a PS2 stopped me from getting them.

I bought Suikoden 2 from a Toys R Us sometime probably fairly after it's release but not too much after (cuz, well...I found it at Toys R Us. That's probably the last place you'd go looking for good video games!) and I still saw a few copies of S2 still floating around Gamestop stores at the time too.

Suikoden 1 is the only game of the bunch that I had to get as a used copy and way way after it's initial release --however I bought it at a Gamestop and not online if you were wondering

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Vertius

The Runic Fletchers

629970 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I got most of my Suikoden games either cheaply, as I did for Suikoden II the year it came out, or at retail price. However, I had to rely on the internet to get a copy of Suikoden I. I paid over €60 for it, and was happy to.

So, mostly, I paid what any normal gamer would for the games. If people are willing to pay more for it, that's really up to them. Thankfully, though, I was lucky enough to get them rather early.

12135 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I tend to get the games early simply because the game typically only gets a single print and becomes rare very quickly. Suikoden V for instance is already out of print and at most places the used price is pretty much stagnant. The only game that has significantly dropped in value is 4 as 1 and 3 have both kept their value reasonably well. If Suikoden ever were to end up really popular I would hate to see what the price on the older games will jump to.

However I have had to replace some of my games after moving and all that over the years. 1 is not too bad, but I draw the line on paying the ridiculous prices that Suikoden II goes for on e-bay. It's too much when the Japanese version is cheaper than the US version. Pretty much it is possibe to get Japanese versions of Suikoden II, and both Gaidens for the going rate of the game on ebay sometimes (I've seen it peak well over 100 bucks and the Japanese games average about 40 bucks). Just have to be willing to mod your PS2.
Dew Dust

2127634 Potch
200 Soldiers
104 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I started the Suikoden series with Suikoden III and so I payed the normal price for that one which I think was about $50 or so. But I then fell in love with the series and a lot of people suggested to me to get Suikoden II. It was hard to find that game and so I had to get it off the net. Unfortunately, it was very expensive to do so. I payed $125 for the game-- the most expensive game out of all of my video/computer games. Will I do that again? Most likely not and so I plan to hopefully borrow someone's Suikoden I game that I still haven't tried yet and I do look forward to seeing it. I agree with Lyon Falenas in that the next coming up Suikoden games I am definitely going to buy to avoid this happening again so I am happy that I bought my Suikoden V game as soon as it came out. In fact, when it came out, some stores around me didn't have that many copies of it or even heard of it which was disappointing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: